Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

antoobrien wrote: »
    That'd be 3 total, 3 in each direction means 6 total.

Yes, but remember there are 12 lanes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Yes, but remember there are 12 lanes at the moment.

No, there arent.

There are 3 lanes in each direction plus a bus lane in each direction.

No, there arent.

There are 3 lanes in each direction plus a bus lane in each direction.

There are 3 lanes in each direction, 1 lane to turn right into Clondalkin, 1 to turn onto Belgard Road, and ( as You say a bus lane). In fact ( though I stand to correction here) there actually may be 13, as there are 2 lanes to turn righ onto Belgard road coming from Naas - am not sure about the arrangement to turn left into Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

There are 3 lanes in each direction, 1 lane to turn right into Clondalkin, 1 to turn onto Belgard Road, and ( as You say a bus lane). In fact ( though I stand to correction here) there actually may be 13, as there are 2 lanes to turn righ onto Belgard road coming from Naas - am not sure about the arrangement to turn left into Clondalkin.

OK, I see where you are coming from now, although i wouldn't really think of those turning slips as lanes myself.
    I would guess that the temporary arrangements will also have turning slips although they will probably be quite a bit shorter than the current ones.

OK, I see where you are coming from now, although i wouldn't really think of those turning slips as lanes myself.
    I would guess that the temporary arrangements will also have turning slips although they will probably be quite a bit shorter than the current ones.

TBH Joey, the bloke on the radio wasn't pushed on whether there would be the buslane + the turnings in addition to the 3 lanes going straight. I'm just sceptical how will they be able to build this flyoever ( long over due IMHO) and maintain all the lanes currently there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only saying what I heard on the radio yesterday...3 lanes in each direction the bloke said. That mean only half the number there now.

Three lanes in each direction = 6 lanes.

Which is what there is now.

MYOB wrote: »
    Three lanes in each direction = 6 lanes.

Which is what there is now.

And what about the turns? And the bus lanes? Are they not lanes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭coolbond

but sure will there not still be turning lanes and bus lanes on the slip roads?

When discussing something like this, no. There are 6 lanes *through* the junction.

coolbond wrote: »
    but sure will there not still be turning lanes and bus lanes on the slip roads?

I don't know, and can't find out anywhere exactly what will be open. So MYOB, You may be right, but are You certain?

• Advertisement

I don't know, and can't find out anywhere exactly what will be open. So MYOB, You may be right, but are You certain?

you post in a public forum its everybodys business,look at the image on page 1 and count the lanes,use fingers if required

you post in a public forum its everybodys business,look at the image on page 1 and count the lanes,

you post in a public forum its everybodys business,look at the image on page 1 and count the lanes,use fingers if required

Look, I don't want to get into an argument, but what I see on Page 1 is the finished product. What's going to happen to these lanes while the upgrade is ongoing? Thats all I am asking. Nobody has proven to me yet, the 6 lanes either side of the dual carriageway will all be there while the construction is ongoing.

Look, I don't want to get into an argument, but what I see on Page 1 is the finished product. What's going to happen to these lanes while the upgrade is ongoing? Thats all I am asking. Nobody has proven to me yet, the 6 lanes either side of the dual carriageway will all be there while the construction is ongoing.
    apologies,I thought u were asking about the finished product,no offence meant

apologies,I thought u were asking about the finished product,no offence meant

NP CB. I have been trying to find out exactly how many lanes will be open while the building is ongoing...seems to a difficult one to find out. Oh well, guess we'el just have to wait and find out physically.

I use Newlands X at least twice every day, and fear for the worst. M50 is already a bugger up heading north on a Thursday/Friday afternoon & have seen the traffic back as far as the Tallaght exit...and thats without these roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Jayuu

NP CB. I have been trying to find out exactly how many lanes will be open while the building is ongoing...seems to a difficult one to find out. Oh well, guess we'el just have to wait and find out physically.

I use Newlands X at least twice every day, and fear for the worst. M50 is already a bugger up heading north on a Thursday/Friday afternoon & have seen the traffic back as far as the Tallaght exit...and thats without these roadworks.

There's no point in denying that there's going to be major disruption at times but you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.

It seems that they are going to try and minimise it as much as possible but the reality is that traffic is going to be affected. You'll just have to sit back and think about how much better its going to be when it's finished or see if you and thousands of other can find alternative routes.

The entire traffic management plan for every stage is in the PDFs.

Jayuu wrote: »
    There's no point in denying that there's going to be major disruption at times but you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.

It seems that they are going to try and minimise it as much as possible but the reality is that traffic is going to be affected. You'll just have to sit back and think about how much better its going to be when it's finished or see if you and thousands of other can find alternative routes.

You are right, and have no problem with finding an alternative route. Still would like to know exactly what the layout will be during the construction. I only asked a question, but seems nobody knows what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

Page 11 of this http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/publications/chapter-04.pdf shows the temporary road layout.

It looks like 3 through lanes plus bus lane plus the lanes for turning on the LHS only.

One of the inbound city lanes looks like it is on the same side as all the lanes heading out to the country.

Accident waiting to happen if they don't cordon that off properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Would comment that the PDF drawings attached from south Dublin co co were prepared by ARUP and are six years old. Bam's designers may come up with a variation on what is indicated on these but I'm sure there has to be a clause in contract about keeping 3 lanes moving in each direction at least for the duration of the project??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Would comment that the PDF drawings attached from south Dublin co co were prepared by ARUP and are six years old. Bam's designers may come up with a variation on what is indicated on these but I'm sure there has to be a clause in contract about keeping 3 lanes moving in each direction at least for the duration of the project??

It was mentioned by the AA in that there is a contractual clause stating that 3 lanes in each direction are required at all times.

Despite this, there will be an impact on traffic, however the impact will / should be minimised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Finally some major road construction has returned, the traffic will be a nightmare over the next few years to upgrade this junction. Off-Peak might not be so bad hopefully. Great to see the PPP working, hopefully it bears well for the M17/M18 which is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

budhabob wrote: »
    It was mentioned by the AA in that there is a contractual clause stating that 3 lanes in each direction are required at all times.

Despite this, there will be an impact on traffic, however the impact will / should be minimised.

Contractual clauses are not always adhered to however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

True but I doubt BAM will be allowed to provide anything less than three lanes in each direction during construction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

They did a fantastic job keeping things moving during the M50 upgrade; can't see NX being much of a problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes, but this would be a very visible breach.

Quickelles wrote: »
    They did a fantastic job keeping things moving during the M50 upgrade; can't see NX being much of a problem.
    If the works are anything like the Lucan road upgrade, they'll have a few teething problems an then the delays will similar to those caused by the original junction.

Plus if you factor in a percentage of drivers who simply avoid the are completely while the works are being carried out. Narrower lanes will mean that average speeds will be lower as well.

Using it every day, I'd say that midway through the upgrade at the Newcastle lights, the traffic actually got better on the mainline (and far, far worse on the Newcastle Road though).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the works are anything like the Lucan road upgrade, they'll have a few teething problems an then the delays will similar to those caused by the original junction.

Seems to me the only issue might be tailbacks of left/right turning traffic due to shorter than normal filter lanes. But turning traffic causes problems as it is.
    Plus if you factor in a percentage of drivers who simply avoid the are completely while the works are being carried out. Narrower lanes will mean that average speeds will be lower as well.

The lights are the cause of the tailbacks, so making the lanes narrower won't affect anyone except motorcyclists filtering through! This junction is so bad, as long as the number of lanes on the mainline is kept the same, it can't really be any worse than it is now. If people get scared into avoiding the area, it might be better during the works than before :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Has construction started on the ground yet?

Advertisement