Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Barry Grandfather Brutally attacked..

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

Awful news. My condolences go to the Barry family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The State will only take violent crime seriously when the upper classes behind their iron gates experience what law-abiding working-class communities are experiencing across the country in terms of the breakdown of law and order.

Exactly. The fact that our Lawyer/Judiciary cartel come from the top 0.1% of the population explains their "liberalism". It is easy to be liberal and to **** on about the under-priviledged when the effects of scumbaggery, and these particular vile crimes ,happen way away from where you live, to the working poor ( who are as poor at least - and often far poorer - than the criminal gangs).

This particular crime of targetting old people at the very end of their lives, at 80+, and of not just stealing - not even stealing in this case - but attacking the elderly is treated particularly leniently by our ubermensch Judiciary because the perps are often from the Travelling "community" ( any challenges on that and I will present the figures on these attacks).

That is vile enough, what is even more vile is that poseurs create a pseduo-ethnic group out of this lifestyle class and make it impossible for the victims and relatives to voice their concerns lest it be a "hate-crime".

The solution is simple an obvious. every single halting site in the country goes to the rich parts of Dublin. No exception. The day a member of the Judiciary, a trinity college professor, or an Irish Times columinist is attacked whilst elderly is the day the "liberal" class warriors of Dublin 4 will actually demand a change in the law, and being powerful, get it. Otherwise the real powerless - the average guy in the street - will have to put up with their loved ones being at danger as they reach the end of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Its sad news, I hope the Barry family gets justice.

In our society when people are up before the law it seems the sympathy from the justice system is sided towards the offender rather than the victims, with excuses made up to why such a person did such a crime and it is taken into account.

Crime should be taken at face value, this man is dead because of the attack/burglary. It shouldn't matter if he fell during the attack, he is dead because of the attack.
    Please let the person be charged with murder, I don't have much faith in the justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

This country is in tatters....

RIP Mr Barry...what an awful way to go...

I was burgled during the night during the summer....neighbours saw them and they sped off in my car...2 of them....2 houses done the next night...a month later I caught a Junkie trying to get in the back door!...he was gone when he heard me...

The guards said we know who these people are...one of them who was well known had something like 23 convictions....

Ive recently moved and am paranoid....honestly if i was put in a position at this stage when a little knacker was in my house....id break his legs...

The law does not protect the law abiding citizens of this country at all..these scumbags have no fear a all...and if caught will probably do it again on bail.....if there was a march in the city about this topic Id join ...to say im angry is an understatement...id welcome vigilantes.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This country is in tatters....

RIP Mr Barry...what an awful way to go...

I was burgled during the night during the summer....neighbours saw them and they sped off in my car...2 of them....2 houses done the next night...a month later I caught a Junkie trying to get in the back door!...he was gone when he heard me...

The guards said we know who these people are...one of them who was well known had something like 23 convictions....

Ive recently moved and am paranoid....honestly if i was put in a position at this stage when a little knacker was in my house....id break his legs...

The law does not protect the law abiding citizens of this country at all..these scumbags have no fear a all...and if caught will probably do it again on bail.....if there was a march in the city about this topic Id join ...to say im angry is an understatement...id welcome vigilantes.......

You mean like the march through Limerick city after local businessman Roy Collins was murdered by the scum that is the Dundon family, a pack of inbred wannabe gangsters.

Or the public outcry after Shane Geoghagan, captain of Garryowen rugby club, was shot dead outside his house. His crime? He lived near where the druggie girlfriend of a known drug dealer had been rehoused as opart of the wonderful regeneration scheme. He had a full beard so looked a little similar to the drug dealer, and was shot dead.

After both those murders, jokers like Willie O'Dea rambled on about how the new laws would get the scum of the streets and serious punishments would be given to the guilty.

To date nobody has been charged and that is despite a few arrests. The Dundon family have just gone about their day to day crimes in the city, and the worst that happened to them was they had a few cars, all modified and bulletproof, taken from them.

I fear that Mr Barry will provoke a similar public outcry, and a similar lack of action from the elected politicians, who will make a lot of noise about how terrible it is, and how they are going to use zero tolerence on those that did it. And after they get their moment on tv/radio etc., then they can just forget about doing anything about it, as is the norm for this spineless government who are totally detatched from the realities of life that the ordinary people of this country can encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Awfully sad news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A coward act by whoever did this.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

caseyann wrote: »
    I hate stories like this give them the money thick. And then no one had any chance of getting hurt.He took a great risk with his wife and kids.

If they are after money give it to them.:rolleyes:

And what if they fancied a go of his wife after they got the money?
    Should he give that to them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Zamboni wrote: »

Good point.

Its hard to know how your going to react in situation until your actually in that moment.

Its very easy say give them what they want etc, but in that moment ya just dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Zamboni wrote: »

Well in that case by all means.But having knife to your baby and wife and you make a lunge for them is possibility for disaster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

these scum dont fear the law!the only thing they fear is a shotgun blast to the head !

• Registered Users Posts: 55,164 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Terribly sad news this. After getting to such a great age and to end up dying like this. The electric chair would be too damn good for the filth that did this.
    Anyway, if caught, expect more pain; they will get a pissy sentence in a cushy jail. That's the worst part of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

caseyann wrote: »
    Well in that case by all means.But having knife to your baby and wife and you make a lunge for them is possibility for disaster :(

This is why you should be protected under the law to protect yourself before the intruders have a chance to get to your family. The law is right now you have to wait till they actually assault you before defending yourself.

Happy I live in a state that I can defend my wife and future kids with reasonable force as soon as these scumbags try to get in my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Sinderella

murfie wrote: »
    This is why you should be protected under the law to protect yourself before the intruders have a chance to get to your family. The law is right now you have to wait till they actually assault you before defending yourself.

Murfie, this is where the difficulty arises.
    If someone comes at you, in your own home (or anywhere) threatening to rape or injure you, should you be allowed bash them until they no longer pose a threat?
    In my opinion, yes, yes, you should!

If you wake up to see someone running out your door with your tv and your fishtank, should you be allowed run after them and bash or kill them?
    In my opinion, no.
    Not just because it's not a wise thing to do, your life is more important than your money.
    Yes, they are a scumbag, yes, they stole from you, but they weren't posing a threat to your person, therefore, you would not be seen to be acting in self defense.

All that doesn't solve problems like Mr Barry. In his case, he wasn't able to defend himself. The fact remains, this type of crime will continue because the penalties are practically non-existent.
    The Barry family have lost Paddy in the most brutal way. Chances are, if the perp is caught, they will spend a few months in prison, smoking hash, playing an xbox and meeting some new friends with new techniques.
    That's not justice. That would make me sick if he were my grandfather. But that's the reality.
    We have a ****ty "justice" system.

murfie wrote: »

Happy I live in a state that I can defend my wife and future kids with reasonable force as soon as these scumbags try to get in my door.

In majority of those cases they are after the money not looking for raping someone.He could have got himself killed in that scenario. Rather they have the money then dead husband or kids :(

Sinderella wrote: »
    Murfie, this is where the difficulty arises.
    If someone comes at you, in your own home (or anywhere) threatening to rape or injure you, should you be allowed bash them until they no longer pose a threat?
    In my opinion, yes, yes, you should!

If you wake up to see someone running out your door with your tv and your fishtank, should you be allowed run after them and bash or kill them?
    In my opinion, no.
    Not just because it's not a wise thing to do, your life is more important than your money.
    Yes, they are a scumbag, yes, they stole from you, but they weren't posing a threat to your person, therefore, you would not be seen to be acting in self defense.

All that doesn't solve problems like Mr Barry. In his case, he wasn't able to defend himself. The fact remains, this type of crime will continue because the penalties are practically non-existent.
    The Barry family have lost Paddy in the most brutal way. Chances are, if the perp is caught, they will spend a few months in prison, smoking hash, playing an xbox and meeting some new friends with new techniques.
    That's not justice. That would make me sick if he were my grandfather. But that's the reality.

It is allowed within the boundaries of not intending on killing unless by accident or without any other options.

Rest i agree with you completely.

In majority of those cases they are after the money not looking for raping someone.

We be having this conversation if all break-ins were merely attempts at theft. .

The problem is the deliberate targetting of the vulnerable ( the old, women, people who live on their own) not just as easy targets to steal from, but as easy targets to beat the unholy crap out of, rape, or kill.

I am all for electing the judiciary, and/or removing them for incompetence.

asdasd wrote: »
    We be having this conversation if all break-ins were merely attempts at theft. scaremongering.

The problem is the deliberate targetting of the vulnerable ( the old, women, people who live on their own) not just as easy targets to steal from, but as easy targets to beat the unholy crap out of, rape, or kill.

I was referring to the man who killed someone,not to any of the situations of any of those you referred to.
    In the case of Keith Barry he was not even if he had of been allowed to use excessive force been able to defend himself in first place neither would a woman alone.

And i merely said in them cases.If they are after only the money give it to them, if they then attempt anything else by all means use excessive force.

If they are after only the money give it to them, if they then attempt anything else by all means use excessive force.

How much time do people have to work that out? People out for money are going to try and incapacitate you as they take the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

You know, I generally don't agree with you, but this is a good idea. But it wouldn't wash with the Irish*. The Judiciary are too embedded and would not give up their 'rights'.

*The electorate are too complacent to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

R.I.P it's time the law was changed and i mean right now.

I honestly don't think a law change is the answer here. I mean, no matter what law they bring in, is that going to help and 80 or 90 year old, or a woman etc?

As it stands, you are entitled to defend yourself within reason should you be attacked or
    burgled. We need serious tough penalties for folks who break and enter. I mean mandatory long sentences. I would recommend a minimum 15 years for burglary, and aggravated with assault say, or battery, minimum 25 years in prison.

Similar to armed robbery, which can result in lengthy sentences.

Similar to armed robbery, which can result in lengthy sentences.

Lengthy sentences dont bring people back from the dead. Since Mr Barry passed away the case is now a murder case. Even the most assine uberliberal judge has to give life, or the maximum for manslaughter.

But Mr Barry is still dead.

With the new law the other chap could well be dead, were Mr. Barry armed. And Mr Barry would have no charges against him.

I know which one I would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

[QUOTE=asdasd;62222790]Lengthy sentences dont bring people back from the dead. Since Mr Barry passed away the case is now a murder case. Even the most assine uberliberal judge has to give life, or the maximum for manslaughter.

With the new law the other chap could well be dead, were Mr. Barry armed. And Mr Barry would have no charges against him.

I know which one I would prefer.[/QUOTE]

No but they may save the lives of other people by having the scumbag off of the streets, and in time if long sentences become the norm, it may save other lives as some scum may decide that the crime is not worth the sentence it carries.

Lengthy sentences dont bring people back from the dead. Since Mr Barry passed away the case is now a murder case. Even the most assine uberliberal judge has to give life, or the maximum for manslaughter.

I know which one I would prefer.

Obviously they don't, but these scum know that getting caught for a serious crime in Ireland is a joke and that they will be dealt with leniently. If new mandatory sentences came in and were bloody enforced, then these scum may think twice about committing a serious crime. As it stands, the penalties and jail system is stacked in favor of the scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

:( So sad. Poor man. RIP .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Joe Barry R.I.P

Advertisement