Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How you keep someone banned from shop?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

6 easy steps to solve your problem

1 - Challenge the lad to a fight. Travellers love fighting.
    2 - Stipulate that the fight is to be held in 1 month.
    3 - If he wins he can come back to the shop, if you win he can't.
    4 - Take up MMA lessons for the month and train hard.
    5 - Kick his freakin ass
    6 - Live happily ever after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

cGirl wrote: »
    Silly me, thinking maybe they could be described as "people". Maybe I just picked up the insinuation that the problem here was Oh, gosh, the travellers are at it again...I don't feel he specifically needed to point out that people of a certain cultural background came into his shop to steal. He would have gotten comments just as constructive had he said "people". They are people, right? I'm not trying to cause an argument, this is just something I take issue with.

Lets make a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Posy wrote: »
    Didn't somebody already suggest giving some of them jobs? ;)

Funnily enough, when i was a kid i worked in a pub. There was this one guy who always caused murder, thought he was Steven Seagal! He used to batter all the bouncers until no bouncer would work there anymore.

So they hired him as bouncer and the trouble stopped :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

That's not up to me and the higher ups won't do it.

Well if they steal €50 worth of stuff went they come in and they come in as often as they do then the higher ups should do somthing about it.... they'd save alot more money in the long run.. prob too scabby to fork out more wages..:mad:

You've got to spend money to make money to stop yourself getting F@ckin robbed!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Funnily enough, when i was a kid i worked in a pub. There was this one guy who always caused murder, thought he was Steven Seagal! He used to batter all the bouncers until no bouncer would work there anymore.
    So they hired him as bouncer and the trouble stopped :pac:
    Ha! That's smart thinking. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Shup with your PC ****e, of course it's relevant that they're travellers. You wouldn't get a settled family doing that again and again and getting away with it. And there's a limit to how far you can push a traveller without making yourself an enemy of the whole family.

Yes you do get settled families doing it again and again. Shoplifting goes across all social demographics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Posy wrote: »
    Ha! That's smart thinking. :pac:

It is if you want your shop stripped bare within 5 minutes.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I was thinking of recording their behavior on my phone and uplaoding the videos of it to youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The Walsho,

Your racial joke comment is removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Why the need to specifically point out that they're travellers?
    Silly me, thinking maybe they could be described as "people". Maybe I just picked up the insinuation that the problem here was Oh, gosh, the travellers are at it again...I don't feel he specifically needed to point out that people of a certain cultural background came into his shop to steal. He would have gotten comments just as constructive had he said "people". They are people, right? I'm not trying to cause an argument, this is just something I take issue with.

lol ur cute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I agree that the OP didn't need to point out that they were travellers. It doesn't change the story at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

of course it changes the story travellers dont play by our rules,the majority do wat they want and try take advantage of decent people wit no fear of the consequences,obviously der are regular people like dis but der a lot easier to deal with,i hate unnecessary political correctness:mad: "they're not knackers they are members of the native irish travelling constituency" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Because they are thieving by nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Because they aremorelikely than settled peopletocommitcrime?

Because they are something like 0.7%of the population but 10% of the prison population?

Because during our economic boom a rather large 88% of adult travellers simply couldnt be bothered working?
    Silly me, thinking maybe they could be described as "people". Maybe I just picked up the insinuation that the problem here was Oh, gosh, the travellers are at it again....

The travellers were at it again. By at it, playing up to their stereotype.
    Rabies wrote: »
    The Walsho,

Your racial joke comment is removed.

What was the joke? Please be aware that travellers are not a seperate race- they are ethnic Irish. They maintain their own accent and culture through self imposed cultural isolation.They are physically distinguishable from generations of marriage between extended family members. But they are not a seperate race. Traveller jokes are about as racist as Kerry/ Cavan/ Northsider/ D4 jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If the OP didnt mention that they where cream crackers I would of suggested that they where cream crackers as Im sure most other people would have.
    Rob their rings and they will be so upset they might not come back. As in spray them with water and dettol until the ring of dirt around their necks is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Throw soap at them - they'd HATE that.

:confused:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Put up a sign outside the door saying "Job Centre" or something. Scobes won't go past that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Traveller jokes are about as racist as Kerry/ Cavan/ Northsider/ D4 jokes.

Yep, all the criteria for describing travellers as a race would work with all these groups - a tendancy to intermarry, unique dialects, etc. Dublin 4 actually has a ethnic heritage which might actually be influenced by a non-Irish biology in parts ( old-English).

the invention of travellers as a race is an example of LeftWing double speak. We are encouraged to believe that race doesnt exist, it is a cultural construct. There is such thing as race. Chinese and Irish, exactly the same. Nigerians and Swedes, exactly the same.

Settled family called Wards, and Travellers called Ward. Totally different.

Race doesnt exist in the entire world except for Irish Travellers, who look like us, have our surnames, and talk with a mid-West accent.

Why? because criticism based on Class is acceptable, and in fact - expected ( watch Mock the Week in England for instance).

Re-Invent a problematic class or Lumpens as a race and then you can whine about how "racist" the proles are, whilst living far away from the problem areas.

As to why halting sites never go to rich areas - since they can go anywhere? I dont know? I just cant say. I cant think why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

OP probably should have posted this in other forum. Will never work in AH.
    Get some attack dogs who can recognise travellers. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tedstriker

There is not much you can do. I'd put pictures of them from the CCTV stealing on the window. They won't like that and will probably still come back but at least it is some satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Rabies wrote: »
    Because they are :/

If it was a group of scumbag little kids of the depths of Tallaght, they'd be called that.

Calling someone a traveller that is a traveller, isn't a problem.
    Degrading travellers is a problem.

Stealing is stealing. The posters has identified who it was

Well said...

They where banned awhile ago because we where raising money for a charity, Barretstown, they stole the charity box.
    We called the guardi about it. They arrested the person responsible and where going to take them to court but they paid back money so it was dropped.
    I was unaware if you stole stuff you could just return it and get off. Does this mean if I rob a house and get caught I can just return the stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Change your name to Padraig Nally, wear a name badge and one of these t-shirts

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/left_4_dead_reloading_tshirt-235362236861699590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Maybe they are travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

When you see them coming in the door, tell them loudly that they're barred and you're calling the guards over their trespassing on private property.

Nevore wrote: »
    When you see them coming in the door, tell them loudly that they're barred and you're calling the guards over their trespassing on private property.
    This doesn't work as it results in yelling and again being asked why they are barred.
    Also the guards hardly ever come down anymore when we call them to get them out and they know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Then file for a barring order. Go through the courts and do it officially. The guards have to act on them.

I run a business in the city centre (Dublin) and we've had problems with junkies and travellers before. Cost a couple of hundred to get orders served but apparently word spreads amongst these lowlifes social circle, we haven't had any trouble in 2-3 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No, I'm genuinely curious as to the relevance that has to his post.

Actually it is relevant as the gardai are generally slow to arrive if they know it is a problem that involves a traveller. Which means people who are just doing their jobs are put at risk by an individual/individuals who, in this case, are only in the store to rob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Do what i used to do, start breaking bottles off the ground...works everytime because they will realise you mean business and crazy as hell...frighten the sh1te outta them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hire a security guard.
    If the owner is too cheap to hire someone then do they not realise their shop is seen as a soft touch and they are losing a fortune in shoplifting?

Tbh OP, if I was a minimum wage shop worker and had people stealing then why bother confront them?
    You may get a beating if you lose and either way your cheapskate owner doesn't give a **** about your safety.

Make your point to the owner, you're there to serve customers, not chase people out of stores and risk your safety, especially if you're on your own late at night

Advertisement