Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Supposely there was something up on one of those electronic boards saying there's lectures on Tuesday!? How true that is I don't know, but surely it's pure crap.

The Institute will be open as normal on Tuesday, November 24th.

We anticipate serious disruption to the delivery of classes, laboratories, and the provision of library and all other services.

The Institute regrets this inconvenience to all our students.

Check the website www.ittdublin.ie for updates.

ITT Dublin

In other news - Bad idea having full classes on an open day, crazy amount of people in college.

Anyone in today? Wasn't in myself thank God.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Anyone see the lecturers on the news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Osu wrote: »
    Anyone see the lecturers on the news?

Nope!

What was the feature like?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

This no getting in through the back door is seriously retarded - all the parking is around the back anyway! Where's the logic in that???!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yup, it's ridiculous. It's a privilege for the lecturers apparently...

What's the story with this strike on Thursday?

I'm supposed to be editing all day and I'm not sure if it'll be going ahead now!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

looks like the strike is off so we have classes i think

Ye it is off.:( No going on Wednesday night as planned so.:mad:

Fun times!

I'm stuck in college until 9... So much work to do :(

• Advertisement

College opens till 9:eek: I'm in tomorrow for only the second time on a Friday this semenster, feckin in-lab tests.:mad:

Gonna be fun on the Luas to college next week I tell ye:
    FM104 wrote:
    We've €10,000 on the line to be won, with Luas, now taking you to The Point!

Starting Monday, listen in to FM104's Strawberry Alarm Clock and FM104's The Jam. We'll give you a clue to the whereabouts of the FM104 Cash, which is on board a Luas Red Line tram in Dublin. Our mystery passenger will be on the Luas waiting for you to find them. Follow the clues, board the Luas, ask everybody find the passenger, (do you have the FM104 Luas Cash?)... and you could win cash.

Listen in everyday to the Strawberry Alarm Clock & The Jam because we'll be giving out clues to help identify our mystery passenger....

We have at least €500 to be won each game!

It's your chance to win hard cash guaranteed.
    FM104's Cash with Luas... now taking you to The Point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

College opens till 9:eek: I'm in tomorrow for only the second time on a Friday this semenster, feckin in-lab tests.:mad:

Gonna be fun on the Luas to college next week I tell ye:

I'll be on that luas :p

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

does anyone else thing lecturers who care about attendance is a load of ballix? honestly, who gives a sh/t if you come to class or not?? yet one or two lecturers seem to! im mature enough to make that decision myslef without a lecturer questioning why i amnt coming in, im in 3rd year never had a repeat (touch wood) yet i find some lecturers take it to heart and iv found with one one in particular seems to mark people with poor attendance much harder, anyone else find that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Master_Key

In regards to attendance being important. It's the key thing for any student. Even if you're groggy, it makes a difference if you're there to receive your notes first hand and then add your own little nuggets of information on the side.

The little things that get discussed in lectures, or the examples that may be used to explain or work-out a problem raised can really help you get on top of the subject in a way that you have an overall understanding.

The whole attitude of just cramming, might work for 1st and 2nd years (just about), but the corrections of a third and fourth year student are on an 'applied' basis and you must show the extent of self-learning that you have put into the course.

A class that has good attendance is in a good position to create a good study dynamic between students which leads to better scores overall for everyone. As then, the alert students that raise some valid questions give others the benefit of hearing the teacher work out the problem or explain the elements which have led to confusion.

There's a very dossy kind of attitude from many student at ITTD, which is only natural as most of you are in your late teens or early twenties. But you should really enjoy the privileged position you are in to be receiving good educational opportunities in a country where the whole economy is falling to bits.

Being enrolled here allows you to escape the current economic climate outside in reality, providing you with a realm for learning and the establishments of good friendships and social networks.

Enjoy it, and don't underestimate attendance... afterall, you enroll to learn from people who have dedicated their lives to teaching you. Show them due respect by attending and it will be reciprocated and mulitplied ten fold by the right teachers.

If you don't like the style of your teachers... then give them feedback.. a good teacher should always be ready to change to improve the learning conditions/environment.

Master_Key wrote: »
    In regards to attendance being important. It's the key thing for any student. Even if you're groggy, it makes a difference if you're there to receive your notes first hand and then add your own little nuggets of information on the side.

The little things that get discussed in lectures, or the examples that may be used to explain or work-out a problem raised can really help you get on top of the subject in a way that you have an overall understanding.

The whole attitude of just cramming, might work for 1st and 2nd years (just about), but the corrections of a third and fourth year student are on an 'applied' basis and you must show the extent of self-learning that you have put into the course.

A class that has good attendance is in a good position to create a good study dynamic between students which leads to better scores overall for everyone. As then, the alert students that raise some valid questions give others the benefit of hearing the teacher work out the problem or explain the elements which have led to confusion.

There's a very dossy kind of attitude from many student at ITTD, which is only natural as most of you are in your late teens or early twenties. But you should really enjoy the privileged position you are in to be receiving good educational opportunities in a country where the whole economy is falling to bits.

Being enrolled here allows you to escape the current economic climate outside in reality, providing you with a realm for learning and the establishments of good friendships and social networks.

Enjoy it, and don't underestimate attendance... afterall, you enroll to learn from people who have dedicated their lives to teaching you. Show them due respect by attending and it will be reciprocated and mulitplied ten fold by the right teachers.

If you don't like the style of your teachers... then give them feedback.. a good teacher should always be ready to change to improve the learning conditions/environment.

You are either a mature student (and I don't mean characteristic wise) or a lecturer.

Either way, I would disagree with your sentiments to an extent. The little things discussed in class - I had a lecturer who was mad about Liverpool FC. Great for anybody interested in soccer but as a rugby lad i abhorred going to his class on days after or before matches because the match was the sum of his little things discussed in class.

I have found that the little things are rarely to do with the course.

Also - notes (+ the extra notes you take/lecturer gives), you must not be a computer student/lecturer because I have found lecturers generally put all notes (and extra bits) up on moodle. This doesn't mean I won't attend class but I am far more subjective in my note taking,

As for a study dynamic - you'll study with your mates/people you are friendly with which in smaller classes may be the entire class. I think a far more important way of creating a good study dynamic is by getting to know your class outside of college by going to socials, class nights out etc.

Teferi wrote: »
    You are either a mature student (and I don't mean characteristic wise) or a lecturer.

Either way, I would disagree with your sentiments to an extent. The little things discussed in class - I had a lecturer who was mad about Liverpool FC. Great for anybody interested in soccer but as a rugby lad i abhorred going to his class on days after or before matches because the match was the sum of his little things discussed in class.

I have found that the little things are rarely to do with the course.

Also - notes (+ the extra notes you take/lecturer gives), you must not be a computer student/lecturer because I have found lecturers generally put all notes (and extra bits) up on moodle. This doesn't mean I won't attend class but I am far more subjective in my note taking,

As for a study dynamic - you'll study with your mates/people you are friendly with which in smaller classes may be the entire class. I think a far more important way of creating a good study dynamic is by getting to know your class outside of college by going to socials, class nights out etc.

I agree with you Teferi, notes are up on moodle i dont need someone to read them off to me. Im not saying i never go to lectures but my attendance wouldnt be good, i keep up with the material if i feel i need to eg i go to all computer class and anything mathamatical i go in for most of the time. The classes i feel comfortable with the material on and were the notes are up either the J drive or moodle i wont in general go in for these classes, however i keep up with the work ie ca's,presentations etc. Some lecturers dont care if your in and others do, those that do care seem to take it personally which is kinda my problem with the whole attendance mattering when it doesnt.

scruff321 wrote: »
    does anyone else thing lecturers who care about attendance is a load of ballix? honestly, who gives a sh/t if you come to class or not?? yet one or two lecturers seem to! im mature enough to make that decision myslef without a lecturer questioning why i amnt coming in, im in 3rd year never had a repeat (touch wood) yet i find some lecturers take it to heart and iv found with one one in particular seems to mark people with poor attendance much harder, anyone else find that?

I have the exact same opinion as you!! Attendance doesnt matter in any universities and maybe some IT's so why should it matter in ITT. The main thing is you should know whats going on and be doing well in CA's/christmas/summer exams. My attendance since September hasnt been great at all. And even though I have been doing very well in my CA's, I wonder will my attendance go against me in the marking of the Christmas tests. Its like being back in school again, it really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

scruff321 wrote: »
    I agree with you Teferi, notes are up on moodle i dont need someone to read them off to me.

I would disagree with the last few comments. Moodle is in now way supposed to be a replacement. If it turns out that all a lecturer does is read from the notes - it's worth saying it, because it is a waste of your time to come in if they're not doing anything different. It's for revision or extra notes, not to make it easier for people to miss class and get the notes later.

Lecturers take note of attendance for reasons, not to be pains about it. Sure some are more laid back about it than others. But the college wants to know if people show up or not, and it does count towards grades if there's any doubt over a pass or fail - it can be that one thing that shifts the balance in your favour. It's also, personally, annoying if students skip class, cram from the notes on moodle and still go through after you went out of your way to make the effort. Also - if people aren't showing up to class it reflects on the lecturer and the class.

You sign up to college to GO to college. Good and bad lectures come with the territory. If you wanted to read notes off the internet, do an online course. Really, how many classes per semester are there to attended - 12/ 14? We spend longer out of class than in class.

Misa-san wrote: »
    I would disagree with the last few comments. Moodle is in now way supposed to be a replacement. If it turns out that all a lecturer does is read from the notes - it's worth saying it, because it is a waste of your time to come in if they're not doing anything different. It's for revision or extra notes, not to make it easier for people to miss class and get the notes later.

Lecturers take note of attendance for reasons, not to be pains about it. Sure some are more laid back about it than others. But the college wants to know if people show up or not, and it does count towards grades if there's any doubt over a pass or fail - it can be that one thing that shifts the balance in your favour. It's also, personally, annoying if students skip class, cram from the notes on moodle and still go through after you went out of your way to make the effort. Also - if people aren't showing up to class it reflects on the lecturer and the class.

You sign up to college to GO to college. Good and bad lectures come with the territory. If you wanted to read notes off the internet, do an online course. Really, how many classes per semester are there to attended - 12/ 14? We spend longer out of class than in class.

If you could point out to me where I said I didn't go to class and just used Moodle I would be most grateful. Otherwise I would argue that you didn't read my post properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

If you could point out to me where I said I didn't go to class and just used Moodle I would be most grateful. Otherwise I would argue that you didn't read my post properly.

From reading I would have thought Misa-San was retorting to scruff321 no ?

In terms of attendence - It makes a difference if you have a borderline grade - be that B to A or E to D. The more you attend the better it can be judged that you have contrubuted to the class and have been making *visible* attempts to get the best from the course.

If you are in reciept of a grant - it is a requirement of the grand that your attendence is above a certain %

There are monitors in the college to review peoples attendence.... not for naferious things but simply so they can offer support services - i.e it's noted that macrubicon only attends 20% of maths - is that because they find it hard and need grinds ? It's all part of the retention policy.

All in all and this is a personal opinion - attend your classes - the odd one here or there won't make much of a difference but if you turn up just for CA's and exams and use the notes ( regardless of how you get them ) it's not really showing the lecturers that you are activly learning.

It's one thing to know a subject, it can be another to understand it. You can get a good mark from both approaches but I guess at the end of the day it's a personal choice.

• Advertisement

macrubicon wrote: »
    From reading I would have thought Misa-San was retorting to scruff321 no ?

In terms of attendence - It makes a difference if you have a borderline grade - be that B to A or E to D. The more you attend the better it can be judged that you have contrubuted to the class and have been making *visible* attempts to get the best from the course.

If you are in reciept of a grant - it is a requirement of the grand that your attendence is above a certain %

There are monitors in the college to review peoples attendence.... not for naferious things but simply so they can offer support services - i.e it's noted that macrubicon only attends 20% of maths - is that because they find it hard and need grinds ? It's all part of the retention policy.

All in all and this is a personal opinion - attend your classes - the odd one here or there won't make much of a difference but if you turn up just for CA's and exams and use the notes ( regardless of how you get them ) it's not really showing the lecturers that you are activly learning.

It's one thing to know a subject, it can be another to understand it. You can get a good mark from both approaches but I guess at the end of the day it's a personal choice.

As i said dont really feel bothered going into a class were i feel the material is easy to understand, thats my choice, probably doesnt suit the majority, however i think you do make a fair assessment, id say it also has to do with the high drop out rate there is in the IT especially in first year.

Poxy internet in college being down, supposed to have an in-lab CA at 10am, but fecking couldn't because of the internet being down. Now back in for 3pm. :mad:

Anyone else notice a serious lack of people in the college today and yesterday??

Anyone else notice a serious lack of people in the college today and yesterday??

Most of this week is just doing CA's you missed over the year and a bit of revision, or so it is for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

anyone else having trouble accessing [email]mail@itnet[/email]

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

It's OK now....

Seems a bit dodgy in the last week or so, had a few problems connecting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

So, how's the college without me?! :P

Better

*waits for cheap laughs*

:pac:

Any chance you comin' back to do 4th year? Me and Graeme doin' it next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Better

*waits for cheap laughs*

:pac:

Any chance you comin' back to do 4th year? Me and Graeme doin' it next year.

I brought that on myself!

Nope, not a hope I will be back. Couldn't hack it. Was lucky to get through third year, had absolutely no motivation or will to be in that course anymore!

Advertisement