Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro North...What's happening??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Well according to Dr James Reilly it's better for Metro North if we have a voice at the table.

He has his chance now so we'll see what happens.

Is Leo Varadkar as Minister For Transport a good or bad thing for Metro North? I seem to remember him saying he was in favour of it but don't recall him being especially committed to it.

And once again in relation to costs here's Dr James Reilly himself ;)
    It will put 5,000 construction workers back to work in addition to helping to create 37,000 new jobs in Fingal .
    • Labour Party Leader Eamon Gilmore, TD said on RTE radio (Sat 2ndOct) that the Metro North project “would be shot back” by the Labour Party.
    • I reject labours negative attitude to jobs and public transport in Fingal
    • I recently met the Metro North project managers, (RPA) where the costs were clearly outlined.
    • The 5,000 Construction Jobs will save the Govt. €100 million per annum in Social Welfare
    The potential for additional New Jobs
    • A recent meeting of Dublin Airport Authority outlined a 5,000 job international hub project on a 22 acre site at the Airport. The Metro is a key driver of this project
    • 37,000 Fingal Job Potential according to international Consultants Indecon
    The Real Costs
    • The ‘Build’ cost is 50% of the exaggerated figures as speculated on in the media.
    • Metro north is affordable – will be paid for over 30 years.(via PPP investment)
    • Backed by European Investment Bank
    • First payment on build cost not due for 5 years.
    • Cost Benefit Analysis for €1 invested we get €2 back.
    Fine Gael Party leader Enda Kenny supports Metro North
    “I am positively disposed to the Metro North Project which will deliver key transport connectivity to Dublin City and put 5,000 construction workers back to work. It will deliver 37,000 jobs according to Indecon economic consultants. Large infrastructure projects will be subject to assessment by Fine Gael when in Government” said Enda Kenny.
    The Labour Party’s negative attitude shocks me. They say they will invest in jobs but when asked by RTE’s Marian Finucane on Sat 2nd October, about Metro North, Eamon Gilmore said “it would be shot back”
    I say invest in Fingal Jobs – build the Metro North Project now
    Deputy James Reilly TD
    http://reilly.ie/2010/10/19/why-i-back-the-metro-north-project/

Good to see Enda is on board too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

DrFroggies wrote: »
    Well according to Dr James Reilly it's better for Metro North if we have a voice at the table.

He has his chance now so we'll see what happens.

Is Leo Varadkar as Minister For Transport a good or bad thing for Metro North? I seem to remember him saying he was in favour of it but don't recall him being especially committed to it.

And once again in relation to costs here's Dr James Reilly himself ;)

http://reilly.ie/2010/10/19/why-i-back-the-metro-north-project/

Good to see Enda is on board too:D

I understand that Leo is know to take public transport unlike some of his fellow Dail members living in Dublin so thats a good starting point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/metro-north-and-dart-projects-unlikely-to-go-ahead-varadkar-502111.html

Okay at the outset apologies to all if this is done to death, I was sure there was another thread for me to post it into.

As someone who reluctantly voted FG and who lives in Northwood and works in Swords often I am biased, etc self interested in the project going ahead. Who wouldnt be if you lived anywhere between Blanchardstown and Malahide where there is a huge population not served by anything other than an inefficient bus service that had the ar$e cut out out of it in the last 2 years?

Ok so there it is. Varadkar knows nothing about transport. If he did he wouldnt reject the two projects that are going to kill the north city and north county. Instead lets have another southside train. Wonderful. More EU/IMF sanctioned jobs lost. Nice one Leo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

*sigh*

What else did we expect really? The usual complete lack of foresight.

I mean, if they even went and looked at extending the DART to Drogheda, and a spur line to to airport.....that would be of some benefit. Since Metro North would cost too much.

As usual, North County Dublin gets completely abandoned on the public transport front. (and I've lived here my entire life, I get to say that!!:D)

We're heading back to the public transport we endured out here in the 1990's, rather than forward to an improved service - regardless of the money that's been swilling around for the last 10 years.

I'd be infuriated but I'm fed up doing that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

dan_d wrote: »
    *sigh*

What else did we expect really? The usual complete lack of foresight.

I mean, if they even went and looked at extending the DART to Drogheda, and a spur line to to airport.....that would be of some benefit. Since Metro North would cost too much.

As usual, North County Dublin gets completely abandoned on the public transport front. (and I've lived here my entire life, I get to say that!!:D)

We're heading back to the public transport we endured out here in the 1990's, rather than forward to an improved service - regardless of the money that's been swilling around for the last 10 years.

I'd be infuriated but I'm fed up doing that too.

Well,.. let me add to your woes. The situation is returning to the 1980s rather than the 1990s. The only two things we can say that has improved since 1989 is the extension of the DART to Malahide only [a dead end imho with no park and ride prospect and run with a "locals only" view] and the splitting up of the 41 routes. After that forget it. FF screwed this area, now FG [quel surprise] wants to do the same.

I think the Minister for Transport needs to look at the P for G and see what was promised for job activation. I heard on the Council webcast that the cost of the project is not a neat 1 billion because the Govt would get back a ton of income tax and corporation tax maybe 30% back before they have to stump up the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Bumping as the An Bord Pleanala decision was made today.

Coverage from the RTE News Website here.

The most disappointing thing is that the terminus has now changed. It was originally to terminate at Belinstown which is North of Swords. An Bord Pleanala have decided that it will now terminate at Dardistown. Which would put it terminating somewhere near the old cemetary with shuttles up & down to the Airport I think.

I'd say there are a lot of property developers & investors in the Swords area kicking themselves, particularly those who have invested in the Airside area. There was originally meant to be a Metro stop close to or within the site. People living in the Holywell area will now be left without the stop that they were promised.

What do the rest of the NCD residents think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Give it another couple of years of waiting for construction to start and it will be terminating at Santry. Every 6 months they seem to knock off a couple of stations. Dardistown isn't exactly the Airport either, if you go to most EU capitals the train station is under the Airport not down the road after getting a bus shuttle or taxi.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

From reading that RTE site it just says the rail depot is going to be moved,it does not say the line will be shorter.Does the rail depot have to be at the end of the line..?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Dub13 wrote: »
    From reading that RTE site it just says the rail depot is going to be moved,it does not say the line will be shorter.Does the rail depot have to be at the end of the line..?

Than't how i read it too.

It would be pointless if the line didn't go to Swords or the Airport. It's just the depot being moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Eoineo wrote: »
    The most disappointing thing is that the terminus has now changed.
    In fairness, that change happened last year.
    It was originally to terminate at Belinstown which is North of Swords.
    The plan is still to terminate at Swords, although closer to the town, not across open countryside.
    An Bord Pleanala have decided that it will now terminate at Dardistown.
    No, the depot has been moved to Dardistown.
    Which would put it terminating somewhere near the old cemetary
    Actually, while Fingal County Council have insisted it be called Dardistown, it is actually in Ballystruan and Ballymun townlands at the back of the Quick Park car park.
    with shuttles up & down to the Airport I think.
    Are you inventing this?
    I'd say there are a lot of property developers & investors in the Swords area kicking themselves,
    Those that were proposing development on land with iffy drainage where An Bord Pleanála rightly siad would be premature development.
    particularly those who have invested in the Airside area. There was originally meant to be a Metro stop close to or within the site. People living in the Holywell area will now be left without the stop that they were promised.
    A stop sis still proposed at Fosterstown, at the back of Airside, with more stops for the rest of Swords.
    Corsendonk wrote: »
    Every 6 months they seem to knock off a couple of stations.
    It has been shortened once - as above, it is terminating at the north end of Swords, not further on in open countryside.
    Dardistown isn't exactly the Airport either, if you go to most EU capitals the train station is under the Airport not down the road after getting a bus shuttle or taxi.
    The station is proposed for just north of T2 and hte short-term car park. Approximately here: http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.427889,-6.239435&spn=0.00071,0.002411&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6&iwloc=13657563092425915704

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

No I wasn't making it up I managed to misinterpret the RTE report as was already pointed out to me by previous posters. Thank you for clarifying my misinformation in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Not being a regular commuter I have not really watched this very closely at all. But If this does not at least go through the airport and terminate North of Swords (Belfast Side) it will be a waste.

A park and ride somewher near Lissenhall seems logical when you consider the growth in population over the last 10 years

I dont use trains that often either but last year hop off plane in Stansted down an escalator on to a train and in London in 35minutes. Manchester the same. I think it was Frankfort in Germany had a travellator because it was a long walk but the train still stopped within the Airport.

If we are going to do it lets hope we do it right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

It's back................... Election anyone??

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/648854106451259392

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Its not back, its cancelled the same way as DU was - redesign and construction to start after 2 general elections...

Taoiseach Enda Kenny denies that the plan is a pre-election stunt, because there are plenty of things he wanted to include but could not.

That's OK then.

http://www.newstalk.com/Capital-investment-plan-government-Metro-North-Dublin-Airport-roads-education-transport-Enda-Kenny-Joan-Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

martinn123 wrote: »

Metro North was shelved in 2011. We said it would be reassessed in 2015. Its 2015, its been reassessed. Proximity to the election is merely a result of the rolling nature of the national Capital plans.

"Fine Gael TD for Dublin Fingal, Alan Farrell, has said that the announcement of a new metro link between Dublin city centre, the Airport and Swords under today’s €27bn Capital Investment Plan is great news.
    “Under this Capital Plan, there will be significant investment in public transport in Dublin to meet growing commuter needs and help reduce traffic congestion. Investment will be provided for the beginning of construction of Metro Swords in 2021. It’s hoped that it will be operational around 2026. The major transport link is great news and will improve competitiveness, as well as helping economic growth and quality of life in Dublin.
    “The Capital Investment Plan will also see the completion of Luas Cross City. Funding will be provided for the upgrading of Quality Bus Corridors on core bus routes to improve journey times and with a view to progressing to Bus Rapid Transit status over time on a small number of key routes.
    “Also in Dublin, there’s funding for the final phase of the City Centre resignalling programme, opening of the Phoenix Park Tunnel and construction of a new Central Traffic Control Centre for commuter and intercity rail. And there will be investment for the extension of the DART to Balbriggan.
    “This Plan will facilitate a major upgrade to the public transport system in the Greater Dublin Area so that it has the capacity to meet growing demand.

“The Plan announced by Government is affordable, sensible and it is consistent with our plan to eliminate borrowing by 2018. It will promote regional economic growth, supporting 45,000 construction jobs over the lifetime of the plan.
    “The decisions taken by this Government have brought us to an important time in our recovery. We are the fastest growing economy in Europe and we are creating over 1,300 new jobs a week. This plan will help spread the recovery around the country where we know many families have yet to feel the effects of the recovery.
    “This is a good day for Dublin and very welcome news for people across the city and county.”

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Metro North was shelved in 2011. We said it would be reassessed in 2015. Its 2015, its been reassessed. Proximity to the announcement is merely a result of the rolling nature of the national election plans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭BowWow

Metro North was shelved in 2011. We said it would be reassessed in 2015. Its 2015, its been reassessed. Proximity to the election is merely a result of the rolling nature of the national Capital plans.

"Fine Gael TD for Dublin Fingal, Alan Farrell, has said that the announcement of a new metro link between Dublin city centre, the Airport and Swords under today’s €27bn Capital Investment Plan is great news.
    “Under this Capital Plan, there will be significant investment in public transport in Dublin to meet growing commuter needs and help reduce traffic congestion. Investment will be provided for the beginning of construction of Metro Swords in 2021. It’s hoped that it will be operational around 2026. The major transport link is great news and will improve competitiveness, as well as helping economic growth and quality of life in Dublin.
    “The Capital Investment Plan will also see the completion of Luas Cross City. Funding will be provided for the upgrading of Quality Bus Corridors on core bus routes to improve journey times and with a view to progressing to Bus Rapid Transit status over time on a small number of key routes.
    “Also in Dublin, there’s funding for the final phase of the City Centre resignalling programme, opening of the Phoenix Park Tunnel and construction of a new Central Traffic Control Centre for commuter and intercity rail. And there will be investment for the extension of the DART to Balbriggan.
    “This Plan will facilitate a major upgrade to the public transport system in the Greater Dublin Area so that it has the capacity to meet growing demand.

“The Plan announced by Government is affordable, sensible and it is consistent with our plan to eliminate borrowing by 2018. It will promote regional economic growth, supporting 45,000 construction jobs over the lifetime of the plan.
    “The decisions taken by this Government have brought us to an important time in our recovery. We are the fastest growing economy in Europe and we are creating over 1,300 new jobs a week. This plan will help spread the recovery around the country where we know many families have yet to feel the effects of the recovery.
    “This is a good day for Dublin and very welcome news for people across the city and county.”

Username = Alan Farrell!
    Are you quoting yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

This Plan effectively means it will be reassessed in 2016 by the next government as FG did in 2011. If not scrapped completely it will like DART underground be sent back for "redesign". Which should be done by the time that government is ready for a new election with the 2020 Capital Expenditure Plan.

And so the Cycle will continue. 40 Years Already since CIE published their plan for an Airport Rail link. and now the Government is putting it back another 11 years.

McAlban wrote: »
    This Plan effectively means it will be reassessed in 2016 by the next government as FG did in 2011. If not scrapped completely it will like DART underground be sent back for "redesign". Which should be done by the time that government is ready for a new election with the 2020 Capital Expenditure Plan.

And so the Cycle will continue. 40 Years Already since CIE published their plan for an Airport Rail link. and now the Government is putting it back another 11 years.

Hi McAlban,

This would not be the case as the capital plan announced in previous years did not include a budget allocation, just money from the Department toward the planning costs. On this occasion we have put the allocation up front to allow for the planning and design process, a planning application and enabling works in relatively short order.

I would have to assume that any Government that shelves a plan such as this, an economic driver in itself, would be very foolish. Most especially considering it has been on the cards since 1972.

The north city and county requires this in order to develop in an orderly fashion.

• Advertisement

BowWow wrote: »
    Username = Alan Farrell!
    Are you quoting yourself?

Yes, I do that, from time to time. He said.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Hi McAlban,

This would not be the case as the capital plan announced in previous years did not include a budget allocation, just money from the Department toward the planning costs. On this occasion we have put the allocation up front to allow for the planning and design process, a planning application and enabling works in relatively short order.

I would have to assume that any Government that shelves a plan such as this, an economic driver in itself, would be very foolish. Most especially considering it has been on the cards since 1972.

The north city and county requires this in order to develop in an orderly fashion.

Deputy, (if it is you, and not some impersonator)

The North City and County required this at least 20 years ago. As you say Forfas advised planning and building in 1972/73. Successive Governments failed to Deliver. We were promised LUAS in 1996, which was postponed to "Phase 2" and then sent back for redesign as "METRO" first in 1999. and then again in 2005 for transport21. Postponed in 2011 by Fine Gael and now effectively sent back for redesign and postponed until 2026/27.

You said it in one yourself. Shelving a Plan like this is foolish. Minister Donohue shelved one last week, and has put another on the long finger this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Where does this leave the silly bus idea? Like we need more buses as an alternative.

I think for fg and labour they can't lose with this. They can canvas that they put it back on the plans (long finger). And if ff/sf try to shelve it next time they'll be cruxified.

Anyway if you are going to spend 2.5bn of our taxes, at least spend it on cap ex. It will boost employment once it starts.

Alan, I and other regulars on this Forum appreciate that you post here, and under your Name and not as an anonymous.

However if you think that the Statement above is accepted by the Electorate in North Dublin, you are rather naive.

The proximity of the Capital Plan to an Election is no mere coincidence, it allows Politicians to make promises, add items to Election Literature, ( look up J Reilly Promises on Metro North ) .

I accept that the Metro had to be abandoned due to Financial constraints, and indeed welcome it's possible reintroduction, but don't take us for fools that we are being fed good news by a Gov't Party who are looking to be re-elected, and that after the Election all bets are off

Regards, and thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great if it actually happens this time but the sceptic/realist in me doubts very much that it will even in the 12 year time frame announced today. its not due to start until after the next government have left office, if they were really committed they would at least have it started it during their next term in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,759 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

McAlban wrote: »
    Deputy, (if it is you, and not some impersonator)

I can confirm that boards member 'Alan Farrell' is indeed Alan Farrell, TD.

tHB

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm hopeful that it will go ahead this time. We did need it a long time ago - when I moved to Swords 8 years ago, it was still very much on the cards, and now it looks like I'll be almost 50 by the time it'll be ready to use. Getting the bus to town is fairly unpleasant and tediously long. This new decision won't affect my choice in the next general election but I hope that the plan having capital allocated to it means that it won't just be abandoned by whatever government is in next year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm hopeful this time too, it would be such a boost for the area. Swords is so big now, we need more public transport - and it would cut down a lot on traffic around the airport. The building of it would give years of employment to a lot of people too.

Like pinkypinky it won't affect how I vote either, but I hope that whoever wins the election goes ahead with this and the sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

I can confirm that boards member 'Alan Farrell' is indeed Alan Farrell, TD.

tHB

But Alan Farrell resides in Drynam, I think. Has he moved to Malahide now, as per his location?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Liam2012 wrote: »
    But Alan Farrell resides in Drynam, I think. Has he moved to Malahide now, as per his location?

What is your point exactly, and do you have anything to contribute to the thread's topic? You've been told that the poster is indeed the TD Alan Farrell and where he resides is irrelevant.

Advertisement