Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro North...What's happening??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Sizzler wrote: »
    Seriously folks, self preservation aside and lose the selfishness
    :confused:

Sizzler I wouldn't concern myself too much with the reason politicians give quotes b*ll*xy or not...they're easy targets at the moment and painting them as caricatures (even if many of them deserve it) is not really the point here, its all too easy to deride political agendas on any project but that doesn't mean the project itself is unworthy.
    Just my opinion but where the metro is going to serve is already pretty damn well served with bus links? Its not as if you cant get to the city centre from Swords or the airport for the lack of buses! All the other proposed pit stops are also well served with a litany of bus routes, granted the bus isnt everybody's cup of tea but its hardly a backward way of getting around Dublin, its fairly efficient on the whole imho.
    No the bus service is - at best - just about adequate the only exception being the Swords Express which is only able to make such swift time into Dublin City Centre due to another much derided project - the port tunnel - quite simply the bus service into the city will not get any better than it is right now (it will more likely get worse) and as it is now its not good enough...can we get into the city without a Metro? Absolutely! We can also get in without busses and cars so why bother with the bus service or even the M1?

The issue is progression and having the infrastructure in place ready for expansion which will inevitably come.
    Apart from the obvious construction jobs it would create I cant see where the thousands of jobs that are being eluded to are going to come from.

I think the construction jobs are not something to be so easily dismissed (nor should any employment in this climate) and it would of course create jobs - the construction process, the jobs within the metro itself (running, maintenance etc) and yes there have already been companies and bodies advertising the fact that they will be on the metro route i recall one particular poster in Airside some time ago.

But the main thing about all this is that we desperately need to get away from this 'little old Ireland...sure what do we need with a big project like this' we can't keep putting things on the long finger regardless or our current circumstance and there is no need for the country to grind to a halt...proper transport infrastructure is not a vanity project...its progress.
    cutting utility overheads, enterprise grants or labour costs would do more for the NCD economy than the metro.

Its not an 'and/or' question...The Metro will have no bearing on whether or not the above come to pass.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

planning granted, but it will no longer come as far north, which is a little shortsighted.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1028/metro-business.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

It makes sense really to remove the Seatown stop. The Swords stop will serve the Pavilions and the main street. While Estuary the next stop after
    Seatown will be located near Swords Business Park. Which is near Applewood & the estates of Glen Ellen,Southbank,Sandford,Thornleigh & Castleview. The only estates that seatown would have served would be the Seatown estate & Columcille's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ragg wrote: »
    planning granted, but it will no longer come as far north, which is a little shortsighted.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1028/metro-business.html

hope they have planned it further north. as you have said its very short sighted.

the hard work is done getting it out of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Depends on the Sinn Fein government.

• Advertisement

Was Belinstown supposed to be the original depot?

At least its a step forward...still can't wait till they break ground at least then we'll know its more of a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Victor wrote: »
    No. Modern airlines work on the basis of hubs. Move some of the operations to Baldonnel and you remove interconnection and lose a significant chunk of business. You would no longer be able to do Donegal-Dublin-Rome or New York-Dublin-Newcatle.

Not only that, but has anyone seen the N7 at rush hour? Opening up Baldonnel to Ryanair and the like would cause the road network in southwest Dublin to implode.

Good call on the elimination of a couple of unnecessary stops ONCE the provision is made that NO building can be done anywhere near the proposed locations for future stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The metro north is finished......... might be a while before it's anounced but cherio!

The metro north is finished......... might be a while before it's anounced but cherio!

Wow...that was quick and with so little disruption!!!! Didn't even notice them tunnelling or laying track, surely that's gotta be a world record...and they say we can't do anything quickly here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

DrFroggies wrote: »
    :confused:

Sizzler I wouldn't concern myself too much with the reason politicians give quotes b*ll*xy or not...they're easy targets at the moment and painting them as caricatures (even if many of them deserve it) is not really the point here, its all too easy to deride political agendas on any project but that doesn't mean the project itself is unworthy.

No the bus service is - at best - just about adequate the only exception being the Swords Express which is only able to make such swift time into Dublin City Centre due to another much derided project - the port tunnel - quite simply the bus service into the city will not get any better than it is right now (it will more likely get worse) and as it is now its not good enough...can we get into the city without a Metro? Absolutely! We can also get in without busses and cars so why bother with the bus service or even the M1?

The issue is progression and having the infrastructure in place ready for expansion which will inevitably come.

I think the construction jobs are not something to be so easily dismissed (nor should any employment in this climate) and it would of course create jobs - the construction process, the jobs within the metro itself (running, maintenance etc) and yes there have already been companies and bodies advertising the fact that they will be on the metro route i recall one particular poster in Airside some time ago.

But the main thing about all this is that we desperately need to get away from this 'little old Ireland...sure what do we need with a big project like this' we can't keep putting things on the long finger regardless or our current circumstance and there is no need for the country to grind to a halt...proper transport infrastructure is not a vanity project...its progress.

Its not an 'and/or' question...The Metro will have no bearing on whether or not the above come to pass.;)

The country is skint, if they can find someone to run the project top to toe without 1 cent of state money along the lines of the offer that was made from a Japanese firm for the LUAS then by all means go for it BUT the reality is we will need to invest cash in it. Swords and everything in between the city centre is very well serviced whatever way you cut it imho so painting this as some sort of "must have" is a nonsense.

Get in touch with your local TD and ask him where its at....the silence is deafening!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Get in touch with your local TD and ask him where its at....the silence is deafening!

The local TD for Swords has that planning permission update on his Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/michaelkennedytd#!/michaelkennedytd?v=wall

(not that I'm following him, just did a search, but the silence isn't deafening).

The local TD for Swords has that planning permission update on his Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/michaelkennedytd#!/michaelkennedytd?v=wall

(not that I'm following him, just did a search, but the silence isn't deafening).

Local lad says one thing, the clown of a Tanaiste says something else

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/government-signals-end-of-line-for-metro-north-2399465.html

As unfortunate as it is shes the one that has the power not our good friend Mick Kennedy. When the IMF come in for Xmas I dont think a rail link will be top of their agenda!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

As unfortunate as it is shes the one that has the power not our good friend Mick Kennedy. When the IMF come in for Xmas I dont think a rail link will be top of their agenda!

Well, whether the IMF come in or not I can't see the Metro being built. It's not the way we do things in Ireland. I'd love to see it but until they start digging I won't be holding my breath.

The country is skint, if they can find someone to run the project top to toe without 1 cent of state money along the lines of the offer that was made from a Japanese firm for the LUAS then by all means go for it BUT the reality is we will need to invest cash in it. Swords and everything in between the city centre is very well serviced whatever way you cut it imho so painting this as some sort of "must have" is a nonsense.

No...again i think you might be getting a little confused here. The repayments for this project would be over a very long period of time so (much as i don't like to sound like a politician) it really comes down to a cost benefit analysis.

For example: http://dublinobserver.com/2010/10/what-is-metro-north/ (though i'm sure we could be linking back and forth ad-infinitum on this)

It would be great if it was paid top to toe by someone else without the state ever having to pay a penny back, it would also be great if every infrastructure project in the country was paid for by someone else without the state ever having to pay it back...except that of course we'd be a fairly embarrassing excuse for a soverign state if that were the case....either way thats not how the real world works.

And why shouldn't a state be willing to pay (over time) for something that benefits the state?

As for whether or not it's a 'must have'...transport, health and education are generally considered 'must haves' by modern progressive countries.

Saying all that i do sadly agree with you that it's probably not going to come to pass as it is one of the regrettable things about this country that we are still looking backward and fearful of moving forward.

It isn't really a question of the country being skint (we're in the sh1t but don't delude yourself that we're a poor country) the problem is that we're terrified...as we always have been.

Neither boom or boomless Ireland has changed that!

A

It isn't really a question of the country being skint (we're in the sh1t but don't delude yourself that we're a poor country) the problem is that we're terrified...as we always have been.
    I aint terrified, Im just angry :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Have you tried seeking professional help for that?:D

Look on the bright side of life, none of your own hard earned taxes might not even go to pay for the metro, you could be paying for civil servants to badly translate legislation into Irish that people will rarely read. Sure we even sold that procedure(scam) to Europe! and had a march on it!

All of these big capital expenditure projects have a history of trials and tribulations. When there built people can't imagine life without them.

Aye...aren't we all!! The ineptitude of those making decisions on our behalf is staggering, really disgusting - but that's a whole other thread methinks ;)
    Corsendonk wrote: »
    Have you tried seeking professional help for that?:D

Look on the bright side of life, none of your own hard earned taxes might not even go to pay for the metro, you could be paying for civil servants to badly translate legislation into Irish that people will rarely read. Sure we even sold that procedure(scam) to Europe! and had a march on it!

All of these big capital expenditure projects have a history of trials and tribulations. When there built people can't imagine life without them.

True...the Luas (especially the green line) and the Port Tunnel are cases in point..probably even the Dart if we go back far enough, lets just hope that, unlikely as it may be given the plonkers running the show, we can get to the point where we can't imagine life without the Metro!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Admittedly, I've not been following this as much as I would have liked, however I hope it goes ahead. It's not often that we seem to get infrastructure in this country. I know some projects are brought in ahead of schedule and on budget, but futureproofing rarely seems to come into the equation. They either build it and have to dig it up again 18 months later to widen or lengthen it. Plus, we need a rail connection to the airport, seriously. I was standing at the bus stop opposite the Coachman's pub one time and was approached by a few tourists asking for the bus to the city centre. I don't know if they were just off a flight or how they could have missed the buses outside the main terminal. That was a bit embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It would be a very welcome addition. To those saying swords is well served by public transport you obviously havn't sat on a bus for an hour and a half coming and going the 9 miles from Dublin. Thast a 3 hour daily commute to travel 18 miles. Dont mention the tunnel it's only for the haulier and buses ordinary motorists are priced out of it despite having paid for the poxy thing

unfortunately I can't see metro north goiung ahead, for one its heading in the wrong direction and two we won't get the money to build it.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    unfortunately I can't see metro north goiung ahead, for one its heading in the wrong direction

Whaaa???:eek:

The Muppet wrote: »
    and two we won't get the money to build it.
    Looks that way yeah :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Forget the metro , extend the dart to Balbriggan(should have been done 20yr's ago) and provide point's on the northern line so that when a train breaks down the whole service do'es not come to a full stop , and while i'm on the subject irish rail might take in to account people in north county Dublin work on saturday's and sundays and provide a decent service on these day's.
    As for metro north , I don't know why they can't take a branch off the northern line , before the estuary ,bring it across thru Sword's on to the airport , then in to Ballymun and across in to Finglas to meet the line around broombridge /finglas south area .
    Given,that we are lucky not too be still burying the dead after the collapse of the viaduct (which was inspected and passed safe , the week it collapsed) I would not hold up much hope of any improvement in transport in the near future ,and when you consider a medieval boreen serve's Lusk /Rush and Skerries as a main road.
    We are after all on the north side of the city , and civilization end's at Malahide,according to the planner's.

As for metro north , I don't know why they can't take a branch off the northern line , before the estuary ,bring it across thru Sword's on to the airport , then in to Ballymun and across in to Finglas to meet the line around broombridge /finglas south area.

Often wondered about that myself!

Great post by the way...the way you express your ire is kind of funny to read, but undeniably and depressingly astute ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

There was a path reserved for bringing the railline into the airport not sure if its been kept or not. Will try to find a link

Found it

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cie-plans-two-rail-links-to-dublin-airport-terminal-504959.html

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know what the craic is with Metro North? Been looking at Transport 21 website and RPA website and from what i can make out there's not been much progress lately.

Is it still due to be completed by 2013 as was stated in 2008 (by Noel Dempsey i think) and when exactly do they intend to break ground?

Has anyone heard if the current economic situation has stalled the process?

Also does anyone know where i can find that media thing showing the stations etc)? it was like a little animated film going from St Stephens Green trough to O'Connell St etc - it used to be on the Transport 21 website but i can't find it any more.

Cheers
    DrF.

I've put this post on the Dublin City thread as well...

Get a bike

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Get a bike

Thanks for that constructive post - I've got 5 bikes - unfortunately none of them are much use for carrying a 20kg suitcase

Really, if you cannot add something to the discussion, please don't bother posting

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Beasty wrote: »
    Thanks for that constructive post - I've got 5 bikes - unfortunately none of them are much use for carrying a 20kg suitcase

Really, if you cannot add something to the discussion, please don't bother posting

I'm serious, I cannot see any project like Metro North happening for at least another ten years. I can only have sympathy for you if you have to lug around a 20 kg suitcase every day, but I would not hold my breath for a Metro to ease you're daily toil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Fair play seaside for the link .

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/cie-plans-two-rail-links-to-dublin-airport-terminal-504959.html

I had no idea it had been proposed, back then ,there again they spend 3 billion on Ballymun regeneration , but sure who'd want a train there , won't the good old 36a/b do them.
    There's some difference between 220 million and 5 billion for the metro nth.
    I remember talking to a so called planner in Fingal C.C a few year's back , he laughed his head off at such a notion ,(train's running on track's thru ncd).
    I wonder ,was it this genius that delivered the the magnificent new example of roadway above at the chuck wagon and the eyesore beside it.
    I reckon they should dig a trench , just after the new bottle neck at the chuck wagon and place the moron that designed the road in it , up to his neck preferably.
    No doubt ,the genius that delivered this huge contribution to our transport infrastructure will be put in charge of metro nth , which will more than likely veer off in to the Irish sea around Malahide and resurface some where in Wexford looking for direction's back to our beloved chuck wagon.
    God help us all , I wou't leave our planner's alone in room for 5 minute's , with a scissor's and a sheet of paper , let alone let them plan any thing as important as proper transport infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Metro North will be a complete waste of money if built on it's own. The city will be dug up for years on end to construct metro north and whenever the country comes into money again the same areas will be dug up again for further planned lightrail and underground in the pipeline. It'd be a waste of money at the moment, although it would be a good service (don't see it's need to go to Swords, bus services from Swords to the airport to get Metro from there would be adequate once the metro was in operation). What annoys me more is that there is still semi government organisations working on metro west - the single biggest waste of money and time I've ever come across. The Luas B1 extension opened recently is a big enough waste of money with unused stops and proposed temporary car parking facilities costing 2 million just to be ripped up in 3 years time and replaced with "state of the art facilities". Budgets should be cut for these semi government agencies so that they don't have the time or money to be conjuring up these ridiculous plans. OOHHHH and...B2 - another horrible waste of money, Bray already has the DART, it doesn't need light rail!!!

Metro North is a good plan but only if constructed at the same time as interconnector, dart underground and have a couple other transport plans put in place at the same time. Metro North construction proposes to reduce O'Connel bridge to one lane each direction with a 2m footway - think of O'Connell bridge with a 2m footway at 5pm weekdays - mental.

I'm finished now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I wish they'd spend the much smaller sum of getting Swords and other local towns a fully adequate bus service. The Swords Express can take as little as 25 minutes to get into the city from the Pavillions but it doesn't run after 7.30pm citybound and 8ish Swordsbound. I don't understand why most other big suburban towns seem to have high frequency bus links at peak hours. Like the schedules for lots of the buses are laid out like "between 700hrs and 900hrs a bus every 5 minutes".

I'm not fully convinced Metro North is the best use of the money spent. For years people have mooted a DART connection between Swords and Malahide, was that deemed unfeasible? It would seem a better way of connecting Swords by rail to the rest of the city.

Also why do all these rail systems have different names. For the sake of out-of-towner/tourism clarity would it not make sense to brand them all the same?

Advertisement