Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators? do we really need them?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭

Only messing but I'd like to here what Boards users think about those higher up the food-chain.

What's good about our beloved moderators?

What's bad about our Gestaporators?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 REAL LIFE HOOD

I'm on forums with other teens that don't require moderators and everything works out fine. Boards which appears to have an older profile seems to have more mods than users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

that's a good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Without moderators the site would be a complete disaster. Yes, the site does need them. They stop the place turning into a complete and total cluster-fukk of personal abuse and shite. They are there to make sure the noise:signal ratio is balanced properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

If you actually looked at boards through the uncensored eyes of a mod, you'd understand. It's like the difference between watching Big Brother live and the edited version at night. We filter out all of the crap that no one has any need for and you don't have to watch anyone taking a dump.

I'd love to see some kind of moderation on the comments section of youtube, it's absolute bedlam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'd love to see some kind of moderation on the comments section of youtube, it's absolute bedlam

And that shite is exactily why there are mods here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Could be worse.

Could be moderated like /b/ .(Which, funnily enough, is)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

your mother+cum

My favourite youtube comment

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Only messing but I'd like to here what Boards users think about those higher up the food-chain.

http://forums.steampowered.com

if you make it back in one piece, I accept your apology.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm on one board which is completely moderation free. It actually seems to work out fairly well, the trolls which show up aren't fed, they get bored, and go elsewhere.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm on one board which is completely moderation free. It actually seems to work out fairly well, the trolls which show up aren't fed, they get bored, and go elsewhere.

NTM

I'm on a few particular dedicated subjct sites and they kinda moderate themselves, but for AH, yes, definitely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm on forums with other teens that don't require moderators and everything works out fine. Boards which appears to have an older profile seems to have more mods than users.

We have more forums than most.
    The last forum has the ID number 1255. That tells you how big Boards is.

Every forum has one or two mods. Some need more than others. There are some forums with no mods.

AH is an exception. Its the playground of Boards. But most of the users here are from the special class and we can't allow them near sharp objects because they hurt themselves and annoy others. Extra mods are needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Moderators do a good job.

/Gets coat

/closes door on thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Mods are like football referees, if they're good you don't notice them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sordino

I posted in the 'After Hours' forum yesterday using the word 'SWIM' to stand for a friend who had a very bad trip at the weekend. (SWIM is a standard acronym used on drug forum's meaning 'Someone Who Isn't Me' to protect identities of those involved). Some people don't like it (fair enough) but this was the Rubadub's considered reply to the issue as a so-called Moderator:

"SWIM should have been drowned at birth, can't stand reading posts using it non-stop."

Followed by:

"10 years ago you never had posts with non-stop SWIM or other bull**** in forums on drugs, there were great forums back then before all the teenage assholes came along"

Nice refereeing there Rubadub.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sordino wrote: »
    I posted in the 'After Hours' forum yesterday using the word 'SWIM' to stand for a friend who had a very bad trip at the weekend. (SWIM is a standard acronym used on drug forum's meaning 'Someone Who Isn't Me' to protect identities of those involved). Some people don't like it (fair enough) but this was the Rubadub's considered reply to the issue as a so-called Moderator:

"SWIM should have been drowned at birth, can't stand reading posts using it non-stop."

Followed by:

"10 years ago you never had posts with non-stop SWIM or other bull**** in forums on drugs, there were great forums back then before all the teenage assholes came along"

Nice refereeing there Rubadub.

Rubadub is not a mod of AH and wasn't posting as a mod, but as a private user.

Not an AH mod

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Moderators should have cooler nicknames like lightning, thunderbolt and dynorod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Maybe just in the weather forum which must be pretty easy to mod except when people are having shitty days. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The good part is that they keep some form of order in the threads, keep trolls away, and ensure that the discussion is kept fair and balanced.

Sometimes moderators can be too restrictive, and stifle what is legitimate discussion, and can be a bit too liberal with the ban stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I persoanlly can't wait until Bubbles finds that site. Or he probably already has. As for boards.ie, when you have at least 200 forums, you needs mods, if for no other reason than to direct the b00bs to the correct forum. The amount of people who post in the helpdesk forum looking for info on where to buy stuff is unreal.

NTM
    :eek: Every forum I'm on has mods. Some to keep the spam levels down, others to ensure you post in the correct sections. Others to ensure you're not taking the piss out of the forum, or posting crap that could get it closed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I agree. What's with Rabies and J bo ffs :P

:(

/walks away.

pffft... real names.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

mods are lame

-_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Rabies wrote: »
    -_-
    Whens the last time you got your eyes checked? All that squinting cant be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

LadyJ wrote: »
    If you actually looked at boards through the uncensored eyes of a mod, you'd understand. It's like the difference between watching Big Brother live and the edited version at night. We filter out all of the crap that no one has any need for and you don't have to watch anyone taking a dump.
    Wow, that's an awful comparison. I don't watch that sh*t but if I did, I reckon watching people taking dumps would be the best part.

The site is overmodded for sure, I remember boards being a lot more fun back in the day but that's the cost of the place getting so much bigger. All the funniest trolls are long gone. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Mods are helpful. There are too many clowns about to let a forum like boards go unmoderated.

I'm just wondering when 'Impersonating a Moderator' becomes a crime on boards.

Advertisement