Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators? do we really need them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kiera wrote: »
    Whens the last time you got your eyes checked? All that squinting cant be good.
    Hush, he could be chinese... ^.^
    Kold wrote: »
    All the funniest trolls are long gone. :(
    A few remain. How many forums have you being banned from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

How could you be in favour of mods?

They suck more ass than a colon hydrotherapist :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

want a squirt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Rabies wrote: »
    want a squirt?
    Is that a threat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

who moderates the moderators? :)

• Advertisement

/uncleanches

Ewwwwwwwwww

the mods of course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

the_syco wrote: »
    A few remain. How many forums have you being banned from now?
    Not sure if I'm banned from any at the moment.

the mods of course

well answered but who moderates the mods that moderate the moderators? :D

Kold wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm banned from any at the moment.

he he he... tempted to ban for fun now :D

• Advertisement

yeah, i saw that one coming. the circle of mods?
    so how many infractions have you given to you fellow mods? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

he he he... tempted to ban for fun now :D
    Rowrowrow

yeah, i saw that one coming. the circle of mods?

Not many infractions if any to mods. I usually infract newer posters but don't ban. I've banned mods before. No prob doing it again.

One rule. Same outcome. Don't care who you are.

Dr B, Kold wants to fight. Can I set Sharpie on him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The job that mods do in general is invaluable. The likes of the Soccer Forum or PI wouldn't be worth going to if there were no moderators. That being said, as with every "job", not every mod is competent at what they do at times. However they are in the minority. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

To understand Mods and users, just have a look at the Feedback forum.

User type 1: Complains about everything. Nothing better to do, and it makes them feel powerful to get so much attention. Basically trolls.

User type 2: Genuinely feels that they were mistreated. Is trying to improve the forum by providing feedback and hopes the moderator(s) will see their point and reverse a decision etc.

Mod type 1: Posts a sarcastic, aggressive reply and obviously hasn't even properly read the feedback from the user. Has a persecution complex and feels every post in the feedback forum is an attack on all moderators.

Mod type 2: Sees a post by Mod type 1, thinks it's funny as hell. Then posts their own reply backing up whatever Mod type 1 said even if it made no sense. Feels that all mods need to stick together no matter what.

Mod type 3: Actually has the balls to admit when they made a mistake and apologises for it. Reads lots of feedback threads and tries to make positive contribution to them. No matter how much they try to help, they usually get more flak than Mod type 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

sordino wrote: »
    I posted in the 'After Hours' forum yesterday using the word 'SWIM' to stand for a friend who had a very bad trip at the weekend. (SWIM is a standard acronym used on drug forum's meaning 'Someone Who Isn't Me' to protect identities of those involved). Some people don't like it (fair enough) but this was the Rubadub's considered reply to the issue as a so-called Moderator:

"SWIM should have been drowned at birth, can't stand reading posts using it non-stop."

Followed by:

"10 years ago you never had posts with non-stop SWIM or other bull**** in forums on drugs, there were great forums back then before all the teenage assholes came along"

Nice refereeing there Rubadub.

I seen that post and that's why i started this thread. I thought Rubadub was bang out of order. His comments were incendiary and patronising. Even if he was commenting as a boards user and not as a moderator, rubadub should be leading by example. My own opinion is they are needed and do a good job but are moderators moderated?
    I received an infraction last week for calling someone a muppet, silly me, totally deserved it but i was provoked by someone injustifiably telling me to grow up.

Bleurgh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

It's a surreal Russian doll scenario if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

DoireNod wrote: »
    I'm just wondering when 'Impersonating a Moderator' becomes a crime on boards.

Already is actually, backseat modding is against pretty much every forum charter and can get you slapped by a mod

The admins

Can't remember how many I gave while I was a mod cos as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if the person getting it is a mod or not so I don't keep track, but I know I recieved a few alright while I was a mod, and picked up a ban by an admin from a forum I was mod of
    Even if he was commenting as a boards user and not as a moderator, rubadub should be leading by example.

Mods are regular users outside of the forums they mod, and they aren't leaders anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

I dunno why anyone would be a mod. It just takes up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I dunno why anyone would be a mod. It just takes up time.
    But doesn't everything take up time? Are you going to give up looking, seeing, walking, running, working, jumping, hopping, eating, staring, pulling, sowing, writing, laughing,
    scratching, ripping, licking, sucking, typing, pushing, bowling, skipping, climbing, playing, sprinting, throwing, hitting, drinking and riding?

If you were to give up everything that "just takes up time" you'd be Epic Tissue no more. You'd cease to exist. Don't think you've thought this through ET.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

the Doms
    phasers wrote: »
    mods are lame

I agree. Dweebs!
    want a squirt?

Bitty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

The mods are doubleplusgood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I haven't reprimanded any mods as I moderate very low-traffic forums where there's virtually no trouble. When I moderated After Hours I banned mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

yes. Mods are needed.

Ive been on forums outside boards that didnt have any moderation...

conversations are rather similar to the comment you may find on you tube video for chris brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

I stand corrected on this, but I notice the more posts and individual has accumulated, the more he can get away with comment-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A person with a high post-count is a known quantity - moderators have a feel for them and know when they're deliberately being a gobsh1te or not. Those with low post-counts (and really, it's not the post-count - it's the poster) are not known and if it's suspected they're acting the maggot, they usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Gadfly wrote: »
    I stand corrected on this, but I notice the more posts and individual has accumulated, the more he can get away with comment-wise.

well chum there could be a good reason for this...

If i call Dr bollocko a homo, its likely to be understood to be in jest as my reputation would be established long enough to show i dont mean such a frivolous* accusation.

If a member that joined yesterday, and has 10 posts to their name does the same...well.. id say it would be expected that the user is either stupid or fearless.. or has a bee in their bonnet toward the good man himself

If however my theory is incorrect and as a result im banned for this post, i'll return in 2 weeks or so a much wiser man

*accusation may not be frivolous. Subject to testing by Mythbusters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And obiously the longer one has being posting the more one has the feel for the forum , gets familiar with it's users and how generally speaking , it runs/ works

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Snyper is a homo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dudess wrote: »
    I haven't reprimanded any mods as I moderate very low-traffic forums where there's virtually no trouble. When I moderated After Hours I banned mods.
    I love banning mods. The bigger the scalp the more of a hard-on I get.
    snyper wrote: »
    well chum there could be a good reason for this...

If i call Dr bollocko a homo, its likely to be understood to be in jest as my reputation would be established long enough to show i dont mean such a frivolous* accusation.

If a member that joined yesterday, and has 10 posts to their name does the same...well.. id say it would be expected that the user is either stupid or fearless.. or has a bee in their bonnet toward the good man himself

If however my theory is incorrect and as a result im banned for this post, i'll return in 2 weeks or so a much wiser man

*accusation may not be frivolous. Subject to testing by Mythbusters
    Aren't you that guy my parents used to tell me scary bedtime stories about?

Advertisement