Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The M7 Limerick to Nenagh was one project too, but was opened in sections. It does happen sometimes and could very well happen here on such a long scheme.

Above was due to a freak occurrence. Issues with road sinking into bog caused that. Rest assured that there is no plan to open it in sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

flazio wrote: »
    The way I remember it is, M4 Lucan to Kilcock first, then onto Kinnegad, then onto Mullingar bypass. Then they opened the m6 as far as Kilbeggan, then as far as Athlone, then the short stretch to Ballinasloe East and finally the N6 company controlled Ballinasloe to Galway.

Yeah, that was pretty close to how it opened. Fair play for remembering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Most of the time when a motorway in this country opened in stages it's because it was separate projects. However in a small number of cases they opened a project in smaller parts as some made progress faster than others.
    E.G. M7 Limerick-Nenagh : the Nenagh Bypass upgrade opened first.
    M6 Kinnegad-Kilbeggan: Opened from Kinnegad as far as Tyrellstown first, then the last bit

As for this one, of course it's too soon to know how it'll go. The weather, soil and efficiency of the contractor will all play parts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The way I remember it is, M4 Lucan to Kilcock first, then onto Kinnegad, then onto Mullingar bypass. Then they opened the m6 as far as Kilbeggan, then as far as Athlone, then the short stretch to Ballinasloe East and finally the N6 company controlled Ballinasloe to Galway.

With the exception of opening part of Kinnegad to Kilbeggan and a temporary opening of the Ballinasloe bypass and Loughrea-Galway sections due to flooding those were all seperate schemes done at seperate times, usually by seperate construction firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Was talking to one of Roadbridges men today 2weeks before things will be starting ,Earthworks will start when the days get dryer and longer and they expect to have most of the earthworkd done this year, so they are going to plought into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Great stuff, bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

spacetweek wrote: »
    Most of the time when a motorway in this country opened in stages it's because it was separate projects. However in a small number of cases they opened a project in smaller parts as some made progress faster than others.
    E.G. M7 Limerick-Nenagh : the Nenagh Bypass upgrade opened first.
    M6 Kinnegad-Kilbeggan: Opened from Kinnegad as far as Tyrellstown first, then the last bit

As for this one, of course it's too soon to know how it'll go. The weather, soil and efficiency of the contractor will all play parts.

M8 Mitchelstown to Cashel opened in stages. Cashel to New Inn was a good few months before the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Marchef

Saw men working in Kilcolgan today opening up gaps in ditchs along the route and fencing

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

I have question about the MSA at the junction of M6 and M18.
    Is it going to be build at the same time as the road or only after road opening?
    If I remember correctly NRA is reapplying for planning permission for the MSA.

Let say they get it, does NRA already own the land needed or will they need to buy it from the landowners?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Geogregor wrote: »
    I have question about the MSA at the junction of M6 and M18.
    Is it going to be build at the same time as the road or only after road opening?
    If I remember correctly NRA is reapplying for planning permission for the MSA.

Let say they get it, does NRA already own the land needed or will they need to buy it from the landowners?

They don't have PP yet for the proposed MSA. I'm not sure if it was included in the CPOs since the original PP was denied (I imagine it wasn't).

• Advertisement

One thing i am not sure of is ,are they allowed remove hedges trees .ect. due to birds and other things nesting or are they given permission

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

busyatwork wrote: »
    One thing i am not sure of is ,are they allowed remove hedges trees .ect. due to birds and other things nesting or are they given permission

Road building is exempt from that wildlife directive regarding hedges and nesting. So they can work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

Nesting season here in March 1st to August 31st

Well we know now it going ahead great news, its a project thats a great asset traveling this route,
    dont know weather this is the right place but will there be any jobs created or will it be like all the other construction projects
    they say they will creat jobs for the local area but never really happens and all the money spent on these projects usually closes down the local towns and villages

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

dont know weather this is the right place but will there be any jobs created

Anyone selling breakfast rolls in the region should be recruiting...

Anyone selling breakfast rolls in the region should be recruiting...

O sure it will be the breakfast roll that will keep the economy a float ,,,,,,,,,,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

I haven't got time to read through all this thread ;)

rough estimates

when is the gort -oranmore section going to be finished ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

rough estimates

Late 2017/ Early 2018 is the best scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

rough estimates

Already is, the motorway isn't heading for Oranmore, it's heading for Athenry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The motorway isn't heading past Athenry, it's heading past Rathmorissey

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    The motorway isn't heading past Athenry, it's heading past Rathmorissey

Is it not passing athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Galway side of Athenry ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

how do you mean "already is" sure its not finished at all yet as far as im aware.

is it going in the general direction of oran more though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

how do you mean "already is" sure its not finished at all yet as far as im aware.

is it going in the general direction of oran more though ?
    I'm pretty sure the road from Gort to Oranmore is already finished. Mind you it is single carriageway and twisty in sections :p
    The motorway is not going towards Oranmore, Exit 18 in Rathmorrisy will be much closer to Exit 17 Athenry then Exit 19 Oranmore.

I don't get this, wouldn't the majority of traffic be going from/to galway? Why the hell is be being routed up by Athenry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I don't get this, wouldn't the majority of traffic be going from/to galway? Why the hell is be being routed up by Athenry?

Because its a shorter route to Tuam and eventually Sligo. Bit late now to be looking at where the route is going

Because its a shorter route to Tuam and eventually Sligo. Bit late now to be looking at where the route is going

How many people from the gort direction are heading to tuam/Sligo as opposed to galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

How many people from the gort direction are heading to tuam/Sligo as opposed to galway?

Its a strategic road corridor. Not many now but maybe more in the future. I never said I agreed with the route just that its a bit late to be giving out about it...a few weeks before construction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

The road goes both ways,it will be a great addition for the people of the north west travelling south

• Advertisement

red bull wrote: »
    The road goes both ways,it will be a great addition for the people of the north west travelling south

Blah blah it would be a great addition for the people of Leitrim to have a direct road to cork. Not my point. Galway would be better served.

Advertisement