Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

It would of made sense to get n6 construction to build a full interchange at Rathmorrissy [freeflow].thus saving costs,disruption to traffic and a smooth integration of roads without the need for massive traffic management.if it was to be designed like so it would encourage a lot of north/south traffic ie n17 users to take this route as there wouldnt be any dreadful holdups at rathmorrissy.Drivers traveling both directions wont have to exit the mainline to continue there journey.also no need for a bypass of claregalway.the cost of this could have being used to construct this interchange.

biffoman wrote: »
    also no need for a bypass of claregalway.the cost of this could have being used to construct this interchange.
    I disagree - there will still be a need for a bypass of Claregalway regardless - there is a big population living to the north of the village including places like Turloughmore, Corofin and up to Belclare where it won't make much sense to double back and go towards the motorway and then join M6 and M18 traffic queuing at Doughuisce.

I do think a proper interchange should be built anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

biffoman wrote: »
    also no need for a bypass of claregalway

A bypass of Claregalway is still needed, it should be pushed along with the M17/M18.

The M17/M18 is being designed for long distance travel, north to south of the country to allow easier access for traffic. It's not a bypass of Claregalway still I'm optimistic that some of the commuter belt will use the new route. It will for certain attract alot more traffic that wouldn't use the current road. People will see that Limerick is only an hour drive whereas before it could be up to two hours and also the fact it's an easy motorway drive down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

tech2 wrote: »
    A bypass of Claregalway is still needed, it should be pushed along with the M17/M18.

The M17/M18 is being designed for long distance travel, north to south of the country to allow easier access for traffic. It's not a bypass of Claregalway still I'm optimistic that some of the commuter belt will use the new route. It will for certain attract alot more traffic that wouldn't use the current road. People will see that Limerick is only an hour drive whereas before it could be up to two hours and also the fact it's an easy motorway drive down.

...yeah, it's a bit like Julianstown on the old N1 - after the M1 Drogheda Toll was opened, about 16k PCUs remained on the old road - that figure has been around 20k for the last couple of years. Like the M17, the M1 Toll is not a bypass - it is a direct (alternative) route into Drogheda North, Dundalk etc - it's not worthwhile using it to go into Drogheda itself - it's out of the way (like the M17 to Galway), and you pay for the privilege! Julianstown needs a bypass - and an S2 will not be sufficient either - at least a 2+2 or S4 will be needed there.

Taking the above into account, having heard the arguments (relating to the Claregalway Bypass) and having looked at maps, your argument is plain obvious - most Galway bound commuter traffic will probably stay on the existing N17 - so yes, I guess a Claregalway Bypass will be needed too. Anyway, I think the M17 should be redesignated as the M18, while retaining the N17 designation into Galway - then the Saw Doctor's Song about the N17 would need no amendment! :)

Regards!

i can see why a bypass of claregalway would be merited.its not that im against it.i guess my main point is for the powers that be could get it right first time round.and to construct intersections with some forward thinking.also my thoughts are with the notion that there will be a bypass in place and a junction half way up the m17 at corrifin.i think that traffic would be dispersed throughout the city in a less congested manor.as it stands regular commuters of the city are going to dispise briarhill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I fully agree with Mysterious - a parclo would probably be the best and most cost effective way to build the M17/M18/M6 Rathmorrissey interchange. 3 level stack roundabouts are simply atrocious and they failed in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

So, assuming this goes ahead, there will be motorway from Patrickswell to north of Tuam within 3 years, assuming a 2 year construction time?

Apart from a relatively poor stretch from just north of Tuam to Ballindine, there will be a decent road all the way to Charlestown in north Mayo.

Optimistic it may be, but this would be a good result for the Atlantic Corridor in such a short timeframe.

Nath wrote: »
    So, assuming this goes ahead, there will be motorway from Patrickswell to north of Tuam within 3 years, assuming a 2 year construction time?

Apart from a relatively poor stretch from just north of Tuam to Ballindine, there will be a decent road all the way to Charlestown in north Mayo.

Optimistic it may be, but this would be a good result for the Atlantic Corridor in such a short timeframe.

3 years might be optimistic but it would be certainly excellent progress on the Atlantic corridor. Dual carriageway standard road from those two points would be excellent.

But we will still have chronic traffic problems in Galway city, Claregalway queues and a very poor N20.

It's good to know it's top priority after the inter urbans, hopefully it will be funded by next year although thats very optimistic.
    Businesses in an industrial park in Tuam, which will be adjacent to the new bypass, have been given an assurance that they will get an access onto the route despite this not having been previously included in the plan.

An extra roundabout on the Tuam bypass? I dont mind at this stage just get the scheme to tender ASAP.

If the Tuam bypass is to be included into this project then does this mean it will be dulled to north of the town...or not???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Narrow dualled , like the Galway City bypass we have now but yes , it will be dualled to the northern side of Tuam

From what I understand, the Tuam bypass was originally to be 2+1.

Having it as dual carraigeway, which now seems like what is being proposed, make sense, as the Tuam to Claremorris route is also to be dual carraigeway.

I won't be holding my breath on the latter though.

From what I understand, the Tuam bypass was originally to be 2+1.

Having it as dual carraigeway, which now seems like what is being proposed, make sense, as the Tuam to Claremorris route is also to be dual carraigeway.

I won't be holding my breath on the latter though.

It will be 2+2 without the hard shoulder.

Tuam to Claremorris is going to be 2+2 as well. I think nearly all the previous roads planned for WS2 roads are now going to be 2+2. The Casteisland bypass is being constructed 2+2, all nice for overtaking but wouldn't like to have a breakdown on any section of the road.

Will these 2+2 roads will have a 100km/h speed limit? I assume they will.

Will these 2+2 roads will have a 100km/h speed limit? I assume they will.

Yep but most will be loaded with roundabouts. GSJ's are too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

tech2 wrote: »
    Consortia list for the PPP contract

Hi could you sent me the link for this as I can't find it on the NRA website.

patmac wrote: »
    Hi could you sent me the link for this as I can't find it on the NRA website.

Heres the link:

http://nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16402,en.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Talking to someone over the weekend, they said Wills have offered to go as far as the new M6 with the road, for free, if they can toll it.
    They also said it should be open in June/July.

Would you let them build it for free only to toll it then, or get a decent price off them to build it non tolled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Would prefer if they would go the whole way to Tuam if putting a hard toll on it and not just as far as the M6.

Could the government let them build it for free and then have a shadow toll agreement (what they were going to have anyway)?

KevR wrote: »
    Would prefer if they would go the whole way to Tuam if putting a hard toll on it and not just as far as the M6.

I agree. The route has to go all the way to Tuam. Given the recent flooding problems at Claregalway the M17 part will be just as urgent now. I believe Wills are in one of the consortia shortlisted for building the the M17/M18 project.

But on the other hand we are guaranteed motorway/dual carriageway from Galway to Limerick, very tempting! The question is how are they getting money to fund this motorway before it gets tolled or shadow tolled? I would wait to see how the PPP process plans out. If we dont get funding then let them build it straight away with a guaranteed low toll charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

i think he meant tuam to be honest.

glineli wrote: »

If thats the case then I see no problem with a toll as we would be guaranteed a start on it in 2010.

glineli could you ask next time will the Rathwilladoon overbridge and general area of mainline through the turlough cause a potential delay to the scheme?

It's worth posting any sort of developments on this scheme:
    Talking to someone over the weekend, they said Wills have offered to go as far as the new M6 with the road, for free, if they can toll it.
    They also said it should be open in June/July.

Would you let them build it for free only to toll it then, or get a decent price off them to build it non tolled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I think the M6 toll at Cappaghtaggle would be too close to that for them to allow it.

There is talk of a desktop study and small modifications taking the floods into account . The N18 scheme south of Gort is badly flooded in one or two spots but it may be coming from below and the CBM layer may block it once down .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is talk of a desktop study and small modifications taking the floods into account . The N18 scheme south of Gort is badly flooded in one or two spots but it may be coming from below and the CBM layer may block it once down .

Would it not be down to turloughs/poor drainage areas that rise in the winter when the bad weather returns. But the limestone under the mainline should be blasted out and drainage done. If there is bad flooding in place then the spec for motorway builds needs to be modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

The intriging offer throws up an interesting few queries.

1. Are Wills going it alone on this offer or are they also including SIAC (their JV partners on G/C)

2. Considering both Wills and SIAC are invlved in separate consortia for Gort/Tuam I can't imagine their prospective partners would be too happy with this arrangement.

3. Are the Government committed to the PPP process now that the scheme has been advertised and shortlisted consortia named or could they negotiate this offer if they chose to.

Turloughs in a word tech2.

It is just that the turloughs have been turloughier this winter as you may have heard :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is just that the turloughs have been turloughier this winter as you may have heard :)

I've seen them all over the place not hard to find, some on the N61/N62 when I was passing. Obviously they are fine once they are not near a road or access point for a residence. Unfortunately many are beside national roads which eventually lead to flooding the road which the government haven't taken action on. :(

• Advertisement

Photo on the galway city forum of the N18 flooded:

96890.jpg

Advertisement