Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Idiocy I'd imagine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Local rumours seem to be between 12 and 20K per arce which seems very high. Is this not public knowledge that should be available from NRA / County Council or alike ? Seems strange if its not since its tax euro thats paying it..

Each individual agreement between the landowner and local authority is confidential. Just becuase one landowner get's X/acre that doesn't mean that someone else will get X/acre. Each individual's circumstance is different- total acres to be CPO'd, current usage, degree of severance, injurious affection etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

http://www.galwaynews.ie/8699-connolly-calls-bypass-039money-down-drain039

Maybe we wont be seeing the new road after all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

An interesting piece. This is more specifically about the Galway Bypass than the M17/M18 scheme. Although her rationale:
    The country is stone broke anyway

Applies to every road scheme. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

She's right that building roads doesn't solve urban congestion problems but it's a BYPASS not an urban road scheme. Galway should of course be bypassed at some stage, regardless of the provision of public transport. I would build it as a 2+2 bypass however, not as a motorway as there is absolutely no justification for motorway beyond Galway City so no point in the bypass being motorway standard either. Something similar to the Waterford Southern Ring Road would be grand for Galway, maybe with GSJs on the busier junctions and provision for GSJs elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

tech2 wrote: »
    I reckon this road will attract a lot more traffic when complete. It provides the people of the North west of Ireland easier access to the midwest and south.

Not to mention people travelling to the likes of Tuam or Gort from Dublin or the Eastern region will use the M6 to Rathmorrissey and M17/18 to Tuam/Gort. Whereas before people would turn off in Athlone for Tuam or Loughrea (Ithink) for Gort.

Tuam and Gort are just examples, the same thinking applies to many places in North and South County Galway and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I'd have thought M17/M18 is less important than the M20. Yes the existing M18 was essential and the under construction part bypasses road worse than any part of the N20, but as far as I recall, the N18 north of Gort while poor should be adequate for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Why have some sections of the tuam bypass route been fenced off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Zoney wrote: »
    I'd have thought M17/M18 is less important than the M20. Yes the existing M18 was essential and the under construction part bypasses road worse than any part of the N20, but as far as I recall, the N18 north of Gort while poor should be adequate for the time being.

Yes, the M20 should be ahead of the M18/17 for the following reasons:

1. Volume: Links two major centres of population (Vs M17 which doesn't).

2. Safety: The existing road, particularly between Croom and Mallow is shocking and dangerous for a "National Primary Route".

3. As you say, the N18 north of Gort is mostly a good road.

However,

1. Traffic volumes do support (in particular) the M17 part. (AADT:22K before N63, 14.5K after N63), with Claregalway being a particularly notorious bottleneck (which the M17 may or may not address, depending on your opinion).

2. From Cork->Mallow is a good stretch of road, (particularly northbound) with a lot of 2+1s.

3. We're particularly good at whinging in this part of the country if "Dublin" doesn't throw some money our way (cf. West-On-Track)

4. I want it!!! ;) (Surely a clincher).

The M20 should definately be before the M17/18.

Unfortunately the M20 doesnt passify the West. M17/18 will be prioritisied simply because its 'something happening in the west'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I want it too and anyway it is 'ready' to build tomorrow unlike the M20 which cannot start to be built before 2012 /2013 .

Almost :D

Gort to Athenry is literally ready to go.
    M17 to Tuam hasnt been CPOed AFAIK.
    Tuam bypass is with AbPleanala. It was approved as an S2, they're looking to put it in as 2+2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Both schemes are badly needed but this is going to be completed probably before the M20 hits construction.

I might take a few photos from Gort to Tuam on the current N18/N17 to keep this thread lively!

I was travelling the N17/N18 a few days ago and thought I would throw up a few photos of this awful road. As I passed through Clareglaway I encountered an average speed of 50km/hr all the way to Tuam.

Cammore Cross (N18)
    DSC02566.jpg

Approaching T junction for the N17 in Claregalway
    DSC02567.jpg

Stupid bus lane north of Claregalway (N17)
    DSC02568.jpg

Stuck in traffic going a steady 20km/hr as a severe crash had taken place ahead
    DSC02569.jpg

Bad traffic in Tuam for southbound traffic, I got lucky for once
    DSC02572.jpg

I'll take a few better ones heading back down south

Good photos, can't agree with ...
    Stupid bus lane north of Claregalway (N17)
    though.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

The original idea was to put in a central lane that would change direction at certain times of the day. :eek::confused::eek:

serfboard wrote: »
    Good photos, can't agree with ...

though.

It stretches too far out IMO and a slow lane would have been more adequate.

ki wrote: »
    The original idea was to put in a central lane that would change direction at certain times of the day. :eek::confused::eek:

Tidal flow works well in other countries, but I wouldnt trust it with Irish drivers.

It stretches too far out IMO

I don't think so.
    a slow lane would have been more adequate.

I don't agree. The lane gives priority to public transport as it should. It encourages public transport and discourages private transport. A slow lane would do the opposite and make no difference to the traffic situation in Claregalway.

One bad aspect of it is that the 50K limit is (IMO) too low, is not observed and is not enforced. And I don't think it's not enforced because the Guards can't be bothered, but I reckon it's because they don't agree with it. Who would? Even 60K might have been a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Sorry for repeating, but it may have been missed, but there are certain sections of the Tuam bypass which have, what looks like the 'official' fencing erected.

Does anyone know why? I thought that no CPO's had gone thru yet etc??

Thanks,

• Advertisement

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Does anyone know why? I thought that no CPO's had gone thru yet etc??
    Thanks,

The best thing to do would be to email the NRA. They give me a response 95% of the time :D

As the WRC is going to be completed soon from Ennis to Athenry, I wonder how many rail crossing we will have to contend with over the N18 from Gort to the T junction with the N17 at Clareglaway?

I can think of 3 at least. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

I was wondering if the M6 currently under construction has been future proofed for the building of the Rathmorrissy interchange? Given the interchange will be a 3 level stack, if they have not thought about this, there will be massive disruption on the M6 while it is being built. Anyone know more?

Although there hasnt been any pics of the Rathmorrisey site as its very hard to get at, as far as I know there is no futureproofing for the M17/18 scheme. Since only bridges really have to be popped in I imagine a few nighttime closures will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The bridge over the M1 at Holywell was built with very little disruptionMaybe 3 overnight closures on saturday nights, so I'd say the same thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

lets hope that when these 3 roads cònnect
    [m17.m18.m6
    ]they will make it freeflow instead of the 3 level stack rab ...but i doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The service station is not going ahead, so I say they will make it proper free flow

Partial unrolled cloverleaf. Which is a much better design and is also cheaper than a 3 level stack. 3 levels stacks are horrid. They are so overstacked it's almost impossible to make it full free flowing.

Two loops and rolled turbine slipways alongside it crossing over (or under) the maincarriegways.
    Almost like the N4 Palmerstown. But better designed.

partunrollcleaf.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

mysterious wrote: »
    The service station is not going ahead, so I say they will make it proper free flow

Partial unrolled cloverleaf. Which is a much better design and is also cheaper than a 3 level stack. 3 levels stacks are horrid. They are so overstacked it's almost impossible to make it full free flowing.

Two loops and rolled turbine slipways alongside it crossing over (or under) the maincarriegways.

partunrollcleaf.gif
    Hadn't come across this design before, looks very efficient and probably relatively cheap to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

Roryhy wrote: »
    Hadn't come across this design before, looks very efficient and probably relatively cheap to build.

It features on the M25 at the M40 interchange. Strange considering it's a pretty busy road and the nearby M4 interchange is a four level stack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

mysterious wrote: »

partunrollcleaf.gif

Good Design Mate! It's almost an exact copy of the M25/M40 interchange in London. An M50 style design (with larger loops) would also work fine - which ever way, it's certainly better than a 3 level stack!

Regards!

Advertisement