Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ratracer wrote: »
    With the amount of flooding along the route between the end of the motorway and the next proposed exit at Kiltiernan, I can't imagine much work being done along this end for a while.

Given the fact that the road was designed after what were probably worse floods 15-20 years ago, they'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Given the road runs right through a know flood prone area, I hope that it was designed such that it would not exacerbate flooding. I remember some locals objecting because of fears of how it would effect flooding.

It might get in the way of locals with JCB cutting a trench ot the sea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

It run through the floodplain of the Clare river closer to Tuam and the locals got an extra emergency underpass put in to remove stock in times of flooding, they proved the bigger underpass would flood and become impassable

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

antoobrien wrote: »

The latest round of start dates included the end of 2013, then the end of January, then the end of February and now the end of March. It's all BS. No official announcements have been made and all we have is hearsay and wishful thinking. We've heard it all before for so many road projects in Ireland over the years.

Somebody at the NRA knows when this project is likely to start, but we are not privy to the information.

The Gort Tuam motorway project will start at some point for sure, but this could be March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December. And then there's 2015 for the same routine all over again.

I'll get me coat....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Mayor of the county still believes this.
    VR6 wrote: »
    It's all BS. No official announcements have been made and all we have is hearsay and wishful thinking. We've heard it all before for so many road projects in Ireland over the years.
    The article referred to is particularly vacuous:
    Mayor of Co Galway ... says he is hopeful that work could commence on the new Gort-Tuam motorway, the M18, as soon as next month ... following a conversation he had with the Minister ... he feels that work could possibly start on the motorway by the end of next month.
    He is "hopeful" and he "feels" - what a load of space-filling rubbish.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    He is "hopeful" and he "feels" - what a load of space-filling rubbish.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78958748

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79639653

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87497801

Nothing has changed apart from the current date on the official status of when it's hoped they'll start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Work won't start until the EIB sign it off, its been approved but not signed yet.

Here's whats been signed in Ireland so far...
    http://www.eib.org/projects/loans/regions/european-union/ie.htm

Here's whats been approved...
    http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/index.htm?start=&end=&status=&region=&country=ireland&sector=

With the economic situation the way it is in Ireland, no contractor is going to start work until all the money is in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

hi5 wrote: »
    Work won't start until the EIB sign it off, its been approved but not signed yet.

Here's whats been signed in Ireland so far...
    http://www.eib.org/projects/loans/regions/european-union/ie.htm

Here's whats been approved...
    http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/index.htm?start=&end=&status=&region=&country=ireland&sector=

With the economic situation the way it is in Ireland, no contractor is going to start work until all the money is in the bag.

Is that definite though? The Luas link is on the 'To be approved' and that's already started.

The utility work for the Luas, which has started, is a separate contract to the Luas Cross City.

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/More-information-on-GMCs-Utilities-Contract-for-Luas-Cross-City.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Is that definite though? The Luas link is on the 'To be approved' and that's already started.
    Luas official kick off isn't until May.

• Advertisement

Febuary has all but driftegd by........... maybe Feb 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

February now in the rear view mirror.....

Mayr of Co Galway expects turning of sod on motorway in 6 weeks, see Tuam Herald !!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Does he indeed. Heard it all before my friend

Luas has now been signed 3/3/14

How long now to signing of the m17/m18?

I believe mid April was mentioned somewhere which would coincide with theMayors timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I know lads that would be working on jobs like this and they're being told work is starting in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

If it were to start in April, how long would it usually take for completion on a project like this?

wtd2008 wrote: »
    If it were to start in April, how long would it usually take for completion on a project like this?

Spring 2017 I'd have thought. Wonder if they would open it in phases. I think the new road crosses the existing outside ardrahan. Might open gort to that section early

ScumLord wrote: »
    I know lads that would be working on jobs like this and they're being told work is starting in 6 weeks.

This one seems to have legs attached as it was apparently all over mid west radio yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Spring 2017 I'd have thought. Wonder if they would open it in phases. I think the new road crosses the existing outside ardrahan. Might open gort to that section early

Yes, that would make sense.

Effectively Limerick to Galway section would be complete when it crosses the existing Dublin to Galway motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

This one seems to have legs attached as it was apparently all over mid west radio yesterday.

Please god you are right!!!

I wonder are they waiting til next weeks closure of the M18 from Barefield to Crusheen to finalise design in order to address that existing issue on the new road

glineli wrote: »

As I've said more than a few times, I'm not holding my breath.
    I wonder are they waiting til next weeks closure of the M18 from Barefield to Crusheen to finalise design in order to address that existing issue on the new road

I'd presume that would be up to SIAC & Willis (the contractors for that section) to fix.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What's this?

spacetweek wrote: »
    What's this?

http://www.nra.ie/press-releases/m18-northbound-close/index.xml
    On Monday, March 10th, 2014 the M18 Northbound Only (Galway) between Junction14 (Barefield) and Junction 15 (Crusheen) will be closed until Friday, March 14th .

Closure will commence on Monday, March 10th 09:00hr (9:00AM) and will be reopened on Friday, March 14th at approximately 14:00hr (2:00PM) in advance of Bank Holiday Weekend.

· Drainage assessment and improvement works will take place during this closure.
    · The M18 Southbound carriageway will remain open to traffic for the duration of the works.

Traffic Diversion Details

Traffic will be diverted from the existing M18 Northbound onto the R458 (N18-Old Road) at Junction 14 Barefield and then returning to M18 Northbound at Junction 15 onto the Motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Design team still not appointed yet for M17/M18. Financial Close due probably by end of month.

Construction start next year.

Design team still not appointed yet for M17/M18. Financial Close due probably by end of month.

Construction start next year.

How many more times are you going to spout this trash? Financial close means that construction starts the next day on a ppp project. A sod turning means that construction begins. Wait until after Easter and you will be proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

How is it trash, three months have passed and the scheme is no closer to starting.

The detailed design hasn't even started yet so it is wishful thinking that construction will start in the next couple of months.

#1728 Go back and check out this post,

• Advertisement

How is it trash, three months have passed and the scheme is no closer to starting.

The detailed design hasn't even started yet so it is wishful thinking that construction will start in the next couple of months.

It's total trash. You have no idea how a PPP project works. I worked on a PPP schools project that involved building 6 schools by 2 separate contractors and a management company. As part of the bid to win the PPP each bidder had to have their own Design Team involving Architects and Engineers. The detailed design of the schools had to be developed to a stage where the contractors and management company could cost the 6 schools and submit their bid price. Once financial close was achieved and contract signed all 6 schools started on site the next day. The final construction info was issued rapidly by the Architects and Engineers to enable the 6 schools to be finished on schedule.

It is the same story with any roads PPP. The detailed design has been well advanced by the preferred bidder's Design Team to enable an accurate bid price to be calculated. When financial close happens for the Gort Tuam project the construction will start the next day. Varadkar will be down rapidly for the sod turning and photo opportunity. The bidders design engineers will probably finalise some outstanding info for the structures like the rebar while the cuttings are being undertaken. It's the 'Just in Time' form of Design & Build Project Management. Don't try to say that the contract will be signed this year but that construction won't start until next year because you are only making a total fool of yourself.

Advertisement