Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

f2 wrote: »
    No contract signing today early next week reason scheduling difficulties

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Interesting reading, and our new motorway network is certainly not getting so much wear that the shine is wearing off it.

I picked Friday 17th January 2014 as the sample date.

M18 at Ennis North, daily volume 11,797 vehicles.

Link: https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfmonthreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000020181&reportdate=2014-01-01%2000:00:00&enddate=2014-01-01%2000:00:00

This compares to the M1 between J2 Airport and J3, Swords where the daily volume is 94,476 vehicles.

Link: https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/tfmonthreport.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6&spid=NRA_000000020011&reportdate=2014-01-01%2000:00:00&enddate=2014-01-01%2000:00:00

As an aside, the M9 at Mullinavat had a vehicle count of 9,479. I'll revise my estimate of empty to half-empty.

We should have gone with wide S2 for middle sections of the M8 and for the entire M9. :rolleyes:

Actually, this is probably what would have happened back in the 70s or 80s. Instead, we are actually building our road structure correctly with some sort of long sightedness. Too many times in the past we have done things short sighted.

Just look at the Cork SRR and the Dunkettle Interchange. Just look at the M50 and the crappy old roundabout interchanges. Look at various old bypasses which have now been subsequently bypassed for a second time. Look at various 2+1 schemes which have turned out to have been plain dangerous and which a lot of them will be ripped up. Look at numerous S2 schemes which may well be retrofitted to 2+2.

Thank god the M17 - M18 project is going ahead as motorway. I still think the M6 - M17 - M18 is a joke and is probably the only bit of short sightedness on this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/4890-contract-signing-for-gort-to-tuam-motorway-deferred-again

Well this is an unexpected surprise, a real shame wasn't expecting that to happen a project like this.
    Aw well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

D Trent wrote: »
    http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/4890-contract-signing-for-gort-to-tuam-motorway-deferred-again

Well this is an unexpected surprise, a real shame wasn't expecting that to happen a project like this.
    Aw well

Ah balls. how confident are we it will get signed next week?

so close, yet so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

At least the "next week" is closer than the "next month" we have been hearing for the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

dloob wrote: »
    At least the "next week" is closer than the "next month" we have been hearing for the last while.
    Well, technically, next week is next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

glineli wrote: »
    Ah balls. how confident are we it will get signed next week?

I'm putting a fiver on it to be signed before the masters starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

I believe it could have been better if M18 Gort motorway Route goes near by Oranmore instead of Anthenry.

I am driving from Ennis to Galway 3times a week, I always stuck at traffic with 60-70km until Oranmore dual carrige way after Gort.

I just seen the Proposed Route Map for new M18 to Tuam, it is totally waste of it.It wouldnt reduce the Clare Galway jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

newbie13 wrote: »
    I believe it could have been better if M18 Gort motorway Route goes near by Oranmore instead of Anthenry.

I am driving from Ennis to Galway 3times a week, I always stuck at traffic with 60-70km until Oranmore dual carrige way after Gort.

I just seen the Proposed Route Map for new M18 to Tuam, it is totally waste of it.It wouldnt reduce the Clare Galway jam.

Not without the Galway N6 bypass. Still its sort of worth using knowing that you wont hit traffic until a bit closer the city via N6. Depends where in city your going i guess. If you work in I.T, the latter option is (in the main) better.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

Once this gets built it, it should only take around 50 mins to get from Galway City to Shannon airport. With improved bus links etc. to the airport it could see increased air routes which would be good for business in the city.

ATM Dublin is roughly 3 hrs by bus and regular buses to Shannon are non-existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

keano89 wrote: »
    Once this gets built it, it should only take around 50 mins to get from Galway City to Shannon airport. With improved bus links etc. to the airport it could see increased air routes which would be good for business in the city.

ATM Dublin is roughly 3 hrs by bus and regular buses to Shannon are non-existent.
    And if the M17 to Sligo is completed, a trip to Ireland West (Knock) Airport would be roughly the same? Galway airport has well and truly had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Galway airport has already well and truly had it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bards wrote: »
    Check out the latest AADT figures before quoting stupid coments like that and compare to mid section of M8 more or less on a par.

M9 is far from empty

Drive the m9 almost daily. And the m7 to limerick regularly. The M9 is always way busier. The higher number of trucks is noticeable.
    The M9 is always attacked here and lumped with the M3. Whereas in reality it's as busy and busier than much of the M7, M8 and M6.

road_high wrote: »
    Drive the m9 almost daily. And the m7 to limerick regularly. The M9 is always way busier. The higher number of trucks is noticeable.
    The M9 is always attacked here and lumped with the M3. Whereas in reality it's as busy and busier than much of the M7, M8 and M6.

You know what the best thing about the M9 is ? It is future proofed for about 50 years or more. I cannot possibly see what will ever need to be done to that road in future bar resurfacing every 20 years or so due to wear and tear.

A testament to actual long term thinking in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

You know what the best thing about the M9 is ? It is future proofed for about 50 years or more. I cannot possibly see what will ever need to be done to that road in future bar resurfacing every 20 years or so due to wear and tear.

What's seldom is often wonderful!

Our new motorway system is a miracle given the pack of Greedy Gombeens that run this country. Of course, there was plenty in it for the cronies that had land along the way (for which we paid far too much IMO) - of course, that explains it!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

The M9 is always attacked I would love to know how many of the posters have actually used the route! Having traveled it a lot its always a busy route and was so badly needed as the N9 was the most dangerous Primary route in the country!.This section of the M18 will be a great extension.

What makes the M9 better than other motorways, how is it future-proofed?

I've never driven the M9

What makes the M9 better than other motorways, how is it future-proofed?

I've never driven the M9

Where did I say it was different ? With current and projected AADT figures it is fully future proofed for years to come. A lot of people on here wanted a lesser build, something awful like W2 or 2+1. Thankfully the correct decision was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It was a political decision and not a common sense decision but the more I drive it, the more I think it was great :D

What are the bets that the M17/18 contract will be signed on the 1st April?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

It was a political decision and not a common sense decision but the more I drive it, the more I think it was great :D

What are the bets that the M17/18 contract will be signed on the 1st April?

I guess not - no one will believe it... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

My guess is Wednesday, feeling confident

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

If Leo Varadkar really did say ..early this week at the earliest... then bearing in mind he is a politician and all the rest, I reckon it could easily be a couple of months before the contracts are signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

VR6 wrote: »
    If Leo Varadkar really did say ..early this week at the earliest... then bearing in mind he is a politician and all the rest, I reckon it could easily be a couple of months before the contracts are signed.

Apparently Leo has lots to say on a lot of things OTHER than transport!

Galway Co Co are expecting "Tues or Weds" for signings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Apparently Leo has lots to say on a lot of things OTHER than transport!

As the Minister for Sport and Tourism also, I would hope this to be true!

Galway Co Co are expecting "Tues or Weds" for signings

Where was that said

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

As the Minister for Sport and Tourism also, I would hope this to be true!

Alas if that was only the case..............

Where was that said

I was speaking to member of the council myself, that is what he told me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

I was speaking to member of the council myself, that is what he told me!!!!
    Well, 1st April is over. Is today to be the day of all days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Well, 1st April is over. Is today to be the day of all days?

Honestly I'm tired of checking this bloody thread :) I need it over nowwwww

Advertisement