Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Noone is going to touch a PPP with Ireland government debt still rated as junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

irishgeo wrote: »
    Noone is going to touch a PPP with Ireland government debt still rated as junk.

PPP mightn't be needed. There are ongoing negotiations regarding a stimulus package that will be spent on infrastructure projects. This is one of the ones reputed to be top of that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Read in paper that the projact may have to go to tender again because of partail EIF funding

f2 wrote: »
    Read in paper that the projact may have to go to tender again because of partail EIF funding

Link to article if possible

Are you sure that's not EIB funding, which was originally announced before the tender?

Unless the EIF funding changes the rules of the tender, they're be no reason to retender - other than to screw over BAM

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

It was announced as European Investment Fund, 172 million was the figure given, they were expecting BAM would be able to put the rest of finance in place as far as I can remember. This was announced maybe 6 weeks ago

• Advertisement

f2 wrote: »
    It was announced as European Investment Fund, 172 million was the figure given, they were expecting BAM would be able to put the rest of finance in place as far as I can remember. This was announced maybe 6 weeks ago

That's the EIB funding.

It was first announced two years ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65845970#post65845970 (post #335)
    and "refreshed" just before the referendum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055673984&page=67 (post #995)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0717/breaking2.html

This will create jobs and open up a large area of Galway, making it easier and more efficient to do business. Hopefully, the Galway City outer bypass will get the go-ahead in Autumn too. That too would make a massive difference to Galway City, spreading business east and west of Galway to everyone's advantage.

jenningso wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0717/breaking2.html

This will create jobs and open up a large area of Galway, making it easier and more efficient to do business. Hopefully, the Galway City outer bypass will get the go-ahead in Autumn too. That too would make a massive difference to Galway City, spreading business east and west of Galway to everyone's advantage.

I don't want to be a killjoy, but please wait until the government actually announce it. Yes I know there have been a lot of speculation over the past few weeks (leaks, comments, announcements etc) and it makes sense (especially given the announcement in the budget last year) but there are a lot of projects being mentioned and only €2bn to go around (e.g. DIT will cust up to €500m).

btw I hope to be coming on here later in the day saying thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

antoobrien wrote: »
    I don't want to be a killjoy, but please wait until the government actually announce it. Yes I know there have been a lot of speculation over the past few weeks (leaks, comments, announcements etc) and it makes sense (especially given the announcement in the budget last year) but there are a lot of projects being mentioned and only €2bn to go around (e.g. DIT will cust up to €500m).

btw I hope to be coming on here later in the day saying thank god.

Was listening to Galway Bay FM this morning and both Paul Connaughton and Colm Keaveney were on saying it was going to go ahead, so you can take it that it is going to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Ah well if the politicians said so.........:pac:

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Was listening to Galway Bay FM this morning and both Paul Connaughton and Colm Keaveney were on saying it was going to go ahead, so you can take it that it is going to go ahead.

This has been going on for over 3 years I've seen plenty of false dawns. I've been watching the coverage of this from the GCOB perspective (they've said that it's top of the pile but it's still stuck in ECJ so this one must be next), so all I'm saying is:

don't jinx it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It's funny listening to the radio this morning how people don't see the big picture. Lots of people saying why do we need a motorway between Gort and Tuam, obviously not realising that it's continuation of existing M18 and fact that it's part of overall Cork <-> Sligo route.

dubhthach wrote: »
    It's funny listening to the radio this morning how people don't see the big picture. Lots of people saying why do we need a motorway between Gort and Tuam, obviously not realising that it's continuation of existing M18 and fact that it's part of overall Cork <-> Sligo route.

Next they'll be saying that we don't need ARC because there are no jobs out there. Laughing I pulled up the jobs in Galway on Irishjobs to shut up a narky Dub.

They don't seem to realise that if we can move industry out of Dublin it has the capacity to improve their (Dubs) standard of living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

dubhthach wrote: »

That's just bar stool talk on the radio IMO... yawn, yawn, yawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

That's just bar stool talk on the radio IMO... yawn, yawn, yawn...

you would expect more from a current affairs news program though wouldn't you?

Full text of the speech here: http://per.gov.ie/2012/07/17/speech-by-minister-brendan-howlin-td-government-infrastructure-stimulus/

Selected text:
    We will invest in national roads in order to remove bottlenecks and complete the motorway network. Phase 1 of our PPP Programme will see delivery of the N17/N18 Gort to Tuam, the M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy and the N25 New Ross Bypass. A further priority transport project for the Government is the Galway city bypass. This is on hold at the moment pending the outcome of legal proceedings. Depending on the outcome of those proceedings it would be hoped to progress it as an additional PPP project.
    In the Roads sector, the N17/N18 Gort to Tuam will commence in 2013
    PPP’s
    Delivering these projects via PPP will allow us to spread the cost of financing the infrastructure over the lifetime of the asset while still being able to fully utilise that asset. As a consequence of this financial structure the impact of the project on the General Government Balance can be spread over the life of the stream of unitary payments rather than up-front over the immediate construction period.

In order to ensure that Value for Money is secured, PPPs are subject to a series of Value for Money tests including a comparison with the cost of procuring the project traditionally, that is through Exchequer funding.

We must also ensure that these projects are affordable. The State must pay for these projects through an annual unitary payment to the PPP company over an extended period (usually 20-25 years). It is envisaged that annual unitary payments associated with projects identified for delivery in Phase 1 will be around €140 million. However, unitary payments are linked to performance of the asset over its lifetime and the State will only make payments where the asset is delivered in line with the terms of the contract. Projects will be monitored closely to ensure that they meet all requirements as set out in the project contract.
    That structure will involve a combination of funding from a number of sources including our domestic banks, the EIB and the National Pension Reserve Fund.
    The NPRF will also be an important investor in this Phase 1 PPP programme and will decide on investment in individual projects in accordance with its commercial investment mandate

Now to settle down and wait for the contract signing (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Well done to the Government for giving us some good news at last, it can't have been easy inheriting the mess they did - the N17/18 Tuam - Gort Road a long time in the waiting but it is fantastic to hear it is going to happen under this new stimulus package. Its great news for the West of Ireland and will probably be delivered just in time for the next election. Nothing like a few motorways opening in the last years of a government to give everyone a feel good fact. Well done for making sure this gets back on the agenda - the people of Claregalway, Tuam etc will be delighted.

Ah well if the politicians said so.........:pac:
    This has been going on for over 3 years I've seen plenty of false dawns. I've been watching the coverage of this from the GCOB perspective (they've said that it's top of the pile but it's still stuck in ECJ so this one must be next), so all I'm saying is:

don't jinx it.
    My point was simple - it was obvious that these politicians had been told what was going to be announced. And so it proved ...

My point was simple - it was obvious that these politicians had been told what was going to be announced. And so it proved ...

You might notice we still don't have a contract signed.

What has actually changed with the announcement - it's funded. We still had the date of 2013 start, EIB funding was announced two years ago etc.

I've been following this for a long time - I'll believe it when I see the fences going up at Rathmorrisey and points north & south.

You might notice we still don't have a contract signed.

What has actually changed with the announcement - it's funded. We still had the date of 2013 start, EIB funding was announced two years ago etc.
    I don't disagree. But each announcement seems to take us a little bit closer :)
    I've been following this for a long time - I'll believe it when I see the fences going up at Rathmorrisey and points north & south.
    FYI, there is some fencing up around Tuam (and has been for around four years) and at the proposed Kiltiernan junction (for at least a year now, if not more).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I'm stoked!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The icing would be a redesigned junction at Rathmorrisey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Not knocking the announcement.

I live by an accident black spot on the N18. Over 20 years ago I can recall as a young fella watching with interest county council Engineers surveying the road: 12 years ago receiving glossy brochures through the door illustrating preferred and alternative routes of the proposed M18(as its now called). And many, many promises since then.

So untill the day comes when joining the N18 doesn't entail having to exit my driveway with the planning and velocity of a NASA shuttle launch, I'll reserve my celebrations for the much talked about M18!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone got a map of the project and the tuam bypass bit.

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone got a map of the project and the tuam bypass bit.

Project information here:
    http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/N17N18GorttoTuamScheme/

Tuam bypass map: http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Overall%20Scheme.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Anymore news of whether Tuam - Gort will have a toll or not?

KevR wrote: »
    Anymore news of whether Tuam - Gort will have a toll or not?

Not mentioned and not in the current project plan (therefore planning changes would be required).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brentmeister

if the construction starts next year, would it be fair to presume the gort-galway section will open first, maybe late 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

But do we not still have the problem that whoever wins the retender has to raise private capital or is this where the EIB cash comes in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I don't think they would have made such a song and dance about this announcment if they weren't sure of the sums and where the money was coming from and the viability of pushing the buttons to get them moving - these projects announced today are the start of the next election campaign - People love new roads it makes a real difference to their lives and if they can be delivered before the next election they will deliver seats. This N17/18 project is the best news for the West for donkeys years - lets just hope it is delivered this time.

Advertisement