Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

m17 wrote: »
    It's happening on the 27 of February (election)
    Not on a Saturday! No chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Flicking through the Irish Independent earlier it seemed to indicate 26th of Feb. But we wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

jd wrote: »
    Not on a Saturday! No chance!

Sorry I meant Friday 26/02/15 got dates mixed up Kenny and co will be in again because there is no one else to run this banana republic

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Drone footage M17 06/01/2016 Robert Lally.
    Interesting to see flooding impact on northern end, imagine what the southern section looks like!
    https://youtu.be/7igt--pJHRg

jenningso wrote: »
    Interesting to see flooding impact on northern end, imagine what the southern section looks like!

Thanks Robert those are great shots you might teach sisk and langans on how to fly a drone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Grate job ,,,,is there any fotage of the rest ,,sisk and lagans section

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Wow thats really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Thanks Robert those are great shots you might teach sisk and langans on how to fly a drone

Hi guys, I'm just sharing Robert's video. Subscribe to his channel for more. I think it's just Roadbridge section he's working on or has access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

It would be nice to see some aerials shots of the junction with M6 taking shape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I may be missing somewhere, but since the completion of the N11 Rathnew-Arklow this is the only major roads scheme under construction in Ireland and that will remain the case till the middle of the year at least?

You lucky people ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

I may be missing somewhere, but since the completion of the N11 Rathnew-Arklow this is the only major roads scheme under construction in Ireland and that will remain the case till the middle of the year at least?

You lucky people ;)

The Enniscorthy-Oilgate extension of the M11 is underway, but the thread is quiet, so I guess it's a slow build up to major works!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

With the Current flooding affecting mostly everybody in south Galway and the construction of the new M17/M18, Would it not be easier dig a massive ditch from the flooded prone areas out to the Atlantic ocean and pipe it. I've all the sympathy in the world for these people who have lost their houses due mother nature as I'm with the Civil Defence and rescued many a one over December 2015.

I've noticed one thing while travelling around Ireland including the disputed 6 counties in the North that the Motorways are never flooded but they are put through bogs and flood plains. But when the rural country dweller wants to drain the water from their local road. The wildlife e.g. Birds prevail by stopping this from happening.

Me thinks we should elect a flock of birds to Dail Eireann whenever the 2016 General Election is called because they have more rights than people who have lived in this country all there life.

The flyovers part one pic1 kilternan pic2 coldwood pic3 rathmorissy pic 4 rathmorissy pic5 rathmorissy

The flyovers part two pic1 carthymore pic2 annagh hill pic 3 builphuil pic4 managh

Design of new motorway needs to be reviewed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Says some county councilors. I never take any notice of noisy county councilors. I'll wait until I hear an engineering opinion before I take any notice.
    Homes and land that were never flooded before are also flooded along the length of the Shannon where there's no road construction going on.

Says some county councilors. I never take any notice of noisy county councilors. I'll wait until I hear an engineering opinion before I take any notice.
    Homes and land that were never flooded before are also flooded along the length of the Shannon where there's no road construction going on.

Exactly! The difference this time is that these floods are the worst along the Shannon basin in a long long time. Doubt it has much, if anything to do with the motorway.

That horse left the cowshed a while back! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

This is an interesting read from a man who has a superb local knowledge of the water flow in the area around Gort. At least the NRA seem to take his work seriously also.

https://southgalwayfloods.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/flooding-on-the-m18-in-south-galway-whats-the-story/

It's probably a good thing in the long run that these floods happened at this early stage of construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Well a paper never refused ink, you can be pretty sure the engineers have studied the area and done their analysis.

What is shown in the photographs is the base rock which will be built up in layers before the final road level is reached.

It would be premature at this stage to be jumping to conclusions when the road level is no where near complete. In light of the recent floods I'm sure the engineers will review their design and calculations like any other professional to ensure they are correct all the same makes for good headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

ratracer wrote: »
    This is an interesting read from a man who has a superb local knowledge of the water flow in the area around Gort. At least the NRA seem to take his work seriously also.

https://southgalwayfloods.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/flooding-on-the-m18-in-south-galway-whats-the-story/

It's probably a good thing in the long run that these floods happened at this early stage of construction.

Half of his opinions are valid; the other half of them seem to be underwritten by this notion of "never flooded before in living memory". So if an area didn't flood in the past 50, 60 or 70 years it never did, presumably rainfall is a relatively new occurrence in South Galway.

I wonder what he'd make of the geological time scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Cross support beam in place in Coole

Road closure at cartynore form 21/03/16 to the 11/04/16 because the flyover is too low the have to lower the road

Road closure at cartynore form 21/03/16 to the 11/04/16 because the flyover is too low the have to lower the road

You can not be serious? :mad:

Is this flyover part of the project???

Did the council resurface the road and the contractors forget to take it into account or something?

Anyone from the area know what the story is near Laffeys pub (Cossaun Cross) and the "No to closing the R339" sign

That Road is not planned for closure so I'm baffled.

Is there a scheduled closure for works to take place that people are objecting to? Apparently there's a meeting organised for da public. Would love to go for the craic but I'm working

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Plus that rag of a paper the tribune has lowered its standards substantially over recent years and loves a daily mail esq headline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭red bull

Anyone from the area know what the story is near Laffeys pub (Cossaun Cross) and the "No to closing the R339" sign

Is there a scheduled closure for works to take place that people are objecting to? Apparently there's a meeting organised for da public. Would love to go for the craic but I'm working

Cartymore road

• Advertisement

Here's a map of the road closure if the close the road it wil take them 3 weeks if it is a stop go it will take them 12 weeks because sum cowboy built the flyover to low so there going to have to lower the road

Advertisement