Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Thanks.
    Any chance for something in larger scale? Ideally showing number of lanes in each section of the junction etc?
    For that we would probably need some intel from the insiders working on the project but who knows... ;)

A bit related questions, where was/is planned that service area? I mean in which quadrant of the junction.
    Also, if they want to build separate left turning slips, I can't see how they can safely tuck services there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Geogregor wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Any chance for something in larger scale? Ideally showing number of lanes in each section of the junction etc?
    For that we would probably need some intel from the insiders working on the project but who knows... ;)

A bit related questions, where was/is planned that service area? I mean in which quadrant of the junction.
    Also, if they want to build separate left turning slips, I can't see how they can safely tuck services there.

There will be no service area at this junction, there looking for planning for a service area about mile form rathmorissy on the galway side of the m6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

From driving past at the weekend, the roundabout looked like a pringle shape, rising up and over the M6 and returning to ground level to pass under the M17/8
    Is this right?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Drove through the Rathmorrissey junction works yesterday.

Very impressive. Still, I don't see how the middle bridge will have adequate clearance over the mid level roundabout. I'm sure they know what they're doing. I still would have preferred if a whirlpool interchange was built here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So, as an overall progress report, how's it going?

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    So, as an overall progress report, how's it going?

Not that bad considering it was a hard winter rain wise a few problems with flooding around tuam bypass and around kilternan but they're well ahead on bridges and pipe laying hopefully it will open on time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I pass Rathmorissey twice daily these days and I have to laugh wen I see one side of roundabout junction progressing so much with about 8 or 9 excavators having a great time

While on the opposite side of the carriageway there's one solitary poor fucl<er in an excavator just thinking to himself 'mother of Chrisht where do I start'?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

m17 wrote: »

The first line is a laugh - It’s been revealed that the N17 is likely to be downgraded following the completion of the Gort to Tuam motorway.

Revealed my arse. This is standard practice for the last decade when a motorway opens. The motorway legally becomes the N road under motorway regulations so the old N road has to be redesignated.

The first line is a laugh - It’s been revealed that the N17 is likely to be downgraded following the completion of the Gort to Tuam motorway.

Revealed my arse. This is standard practice for the last decade when a motorway opens. The motorway legally becomes the N road under motorway regulations so the old N road has to be redesignated.

All well see is more potholes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

All well see is more potholes

What?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

"Speaking to our reporter David Nevin after the meeting at County Hall Councillor James Charity said any downgrade to regional status would be disasterous for the long-term future of the N17."

Jesus wept.

spacetweek wrote: »
    What?

Input an apostrophe in "we'll"

Ah come on now. the system here for national and motorway routes is every route has a number, eg M7, N69, and the letter before it is only based on the road type. If there is an M17, there cannot be an N17.

If any politician starts going on about this they should educate themselves on Irish Roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The thought of only being able to do 80kph on the N17 is heartbreaking. :(

Mars Bar wrote: »

Don't say things like that,it's going to take longer to get from tuam to galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

You could simply number the entire motorway as M18 and leave N17 as is...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing stopping them keeping a 100 limit
    Middle Man wrote: »
    You could simply number the entire motorway as M18 and leave N17 as is...

Pointless duplication and requirement for state funding for what will be a local road. Won't happen.

L1011 wrote: »
    Pointless duplication and requirement for state funding for what will be a local road. Won't happen.

Well the Saw Doctors better get rewriting...

Well the Saw Doctors better get rewriting...

I wish I was on the r336 where the grass is green

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I wish I was on the r336 where the grass is green

I wish I was on the M17 where the grass is green - I think that scans better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah Lads ...Stone Walls and the grass is green #sake

Seven Worlds will Collide

What happens when the get to rathmorissy,I wish I was on a excavator

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Hopefully there won't be any grass on the M17 :)

They mentioned Claregalway IIRC, so alas that would have to be dropped from the song with the introduction of the M17 - maybe they'd make Athenry famous for a second time instead. On the flip side, since the M17 would be legally the N17, perhaps the engineers could rename the road as N17(M) so that we could go on and on with ...wish I was on that N17... :D albeit on a new journey as we mourn the bit about Claregalway...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They mentioned Claregalway IIRC, so alas that would have to be dropped from the song with the introduction of the M17 - maybe they'd make Athenry famous for a second time instead. On the flip side, since the M17 would be legally the N17, perhaps the engineers could rename the road as N17(M) so that we could go on and on with ...wish I was on that N17... :D albeit on a new journey as we mourn the bit about Claregalway...

As I turned left at Rathmorrissey....

The flyover at mahangh Corofin 10/02/16

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Ah come on now. the system here for national and motorway routes is every route has a number, eg M7, N69, and the letter before it is only based on the road type. If there is an M17, there cannot be an N17.

If any politician starts going on about this they should educate themselves on Irish Roads.

"If there is an M17 there cannot be a N17?"

Your wrong @Carnacalla as the N18 is currently is situ from Shannon to Limerick and currently between Gort and Claregalway which will become the R458 when Motorway opens

paul2013 wrote: »
    "If there is an M17 there cannot be a N17?"

Your wrong @Carnacalla as the N18 is currently is situ from Shannon to Limerick and currently between Gort and Claregalway which will become the R458 when Motorway opens

He means the N17 and M17 cannot exist in parallel...

• Advertisement

How come the old n6 now the r446 is still a 100 kph

Advertisement