Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share something you like/find interesting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭PeefsPixie

Hmm, something I find interesting... I used to be in love with Nostalgia Critic but now my adoration has moved onto Todd In The Shadows... So fickle, I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I love this!

EDIT: Ah Insect Overlord already linked this in the hilarious video thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

For one thing, it's due to excess (I think) of a protein called Sonic Hedgehog Homolog! It's very sad in practice, unfortunately, because very, very few people or animals with the disorder survive.

It's true, the protein is called Sonic Hedgehog.
    Some clinicians and scientists criticize giving genes frivolous, whimsical, or quirky names, calling it inappropriate that patients with "a serious illness or disability are told that they or their child have a mutation in a gene such as Sonic hedgehog." -Wikipedia

There was another case where a cancer-causing gene was known as POKEMON.

Biologists are weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Colm! wrote: »
    Some clinicians and scientists criticize giving genes frivolous, whimsical, or quirky names, calling it inappropriate that patients with "a serious illness or disability are told that they or their child have a mutation in a gene such as Sonic hedgehog." -Wikipedia

Biologists are weird.
    Bets the hell out of half the names they actually give them, who the hell is going to remember Zbtz or 26S, never mind what their function is? But name a protein 'cheap date' and you're going to remember that it makes fruit flies very susceptible to alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Lawliet wrote: »
    who the hell is going to remember Zbtz or 26S, never mind what their function is?

You're going to love Immunology.

Craguls wrote: »
    You're going to love Immunology.
    Yeah I can barely sleep at night just thinking about how much fun it's going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

This ad is actually so well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Lawliet wrote: »
    This ad is actually so well done

He is all kinds of sexy :pac: Great ad too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

full-screen and HD recommended for what is probably one of the better YouTube videos I've ever seen:

or in higher quality on Vimeo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Dear Photograph.

I'm off to go cry now... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

Pwetty pictures of space stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Fire and Ice
    by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if I had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

I find Fancy things I can't afford so I only read about interesting.
    Tear..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Colm! wrote: »

Biologists are weird.

This is possibly the worst possible name for a gene. I'm no biologist but as far as I can tell its name is the most interesting thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Directed by my housemate for college!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The title is misleading but loads of these analogies / similes are golden:
    He was as tall as a 6′3″ tree.

John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

The lamp just sat there, like an inanimate object.

Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn’t.

Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

The politician was gone but unnoticed, like the period after the Dr. on a Dr Pepper can

I think I just wet myself. :P
    30. It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

32. He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

37. The red brick wall was the color of a brick-red Crayola crayon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

That list led me onto the Lyttle Lytton Contests, which ask entrants to compose "the opening sentence to the worst of all possible novels" (emphasising "unintentional comedy", which is a bit of a paradox but you get the gist, probably). I've been chortling like a loon for the last hour.
    Pika ... chu, thought Pikachu.

Beatrice was aware that many had stood before her at this sacred place, with their own reasons, but with surprisingly few footprints.

As someone who has menstruated, I thought, I could tell you it’s no picnic.

I have the ability to go through time, he suddenly remembered while at a bus stop near a tree.

Emperor Wu liked cake, but not exploding cake!

MacGyver had grown old.

“Great Caesar’s Ghost!” Amy sputtered. “What glorious lovemaking!”

The foot delivered an unending holocaust of pain as it rocketed into Zamboni’s crotch.

This is a mystery about a murder I committed.

Zamboni doubled — nay, TRIPLED over in happiness-demolishing agonies.

It clawed its way out of Katie, bit through the cord and started clearing.

Eve stood there, half-eaten apple in one hand, desire burning in her eyes. Adam screamed “Jesus woman what the **** have you done?!!”

A few genuine quotes from sports reports, actual novels, Wikipedia articles, etc.:
    Nine-year-old Kyle Graddy looked out across a minor league baseball diamond for the first time in his life and pondered the possibility of his own death.

Fukutsuru died in 2005 but his frozen sperm lived on for people’s benefit.

David Becker had never held a gun, but he was holding one now.

The saying “I have got your back” almost never has the literal meaning of receipt or possession of another’s spine.

Clarissa plunges — a verb of great adventurous spirit — into her day.

The door, which had been left open a few inches, was ajar.

Anamaria had already gotten up obviously because there was no Anamaria in Anamaria’s bed.

No matter what you believe, whether you’re Christian, Muslim, or Jew, this is where it probably happened.

Tears are permanent when you tattoo them to your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

video we watched in our perceptual ssystems lecture. the amount of people caught out on first view was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

f0ggy92 wrote: »

video we watched in our perceptual ssystems lecture. the amount of people caught out on first view was amazing.

We were shown this in an economics lecture..
    I cant remember what the point was :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Here's the updated version...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

This probably was posted here ages and ages ago (in fact, I probably found it here). This blog is amazing, it's by a medical student in the UK. He has blogs from his 3rd year clinical placement, and most recently he is blogging about his volunteer work over in Tanzania (student volunteer).

I'd recommend to it to anyone considering medicine, but I think it's a blog with great universal appeal, very well written. I'd also start from the start with the Tanzania ones, or you won't know who the various people are :P

http://internal-optimist.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

We were shown this in an economics lecture..
    I cant remember what the point was :P

in an economics lecture? why? this module is all about how we percieve the world an such so it has a point there but in economics. all i can guess maybe ye were being shown how the bankers didn't notice the economy collapsing in front of them or else ye're lecturer had a hangover and couldn't been arsed teaching ye that day.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Probably been posted before, but this has happened to me so many times

http://www.xkcd.com/979/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

RolandIRL wrote: »
    Probably been posted before, but this has happened to me so many times

http://www.xkcd.com/979/

wow . Same here, it's happened to me more times than I can remember.

Advertisement