Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share something you like/find interesting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Lawliet wrote: »
    (Big fat video)

*makes conscious decision to be less judgemental*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

tumblr_m4fv0yC7Xc1qkc59eo2_1280.jpg

"During Sunday’s Jerusalem Day events, a Palestinian boy, perhaps 10 years old, was chased down an East Jerusalem street by a very angry officer of the Border Police. The boy tripped and fell, then picked himself up just as the Border Police officer reached him and tried to grab him. But a 22 year-old female Israeli activist prevented the boy’s arrest by throwing herself between the two, allowing the Palestinian boy to flee.

Jerusalem Day is meant to be a celebration of the city’s ‘reunification’ following Israel’s victory in the 1967 war. In practice, it is a day for Israeli nationalists, draped in flags, dancing in circles, singing and chanting (including the popular Israeli nationalist chant, ‘death to Arabs’) as they march through the streets of East Jerusalem and the Old City. Many of the Jewish demonstrators are bused in from right-wing yeshivas in Israel and the West Bank

This year, an Orthodox Jewish man grabbed the Palestinian flag from the hands of a 10 year-old boy and refused to return it. The boy, enraged, tried to prise it out of the Jewish man’s hands. A Border Police officer, seeing the struggle between a 10 year-old Palestinian boy and a fully grown Jewish man, chased the Palestinian boy rather than ordering the Jewish man to return the flag. Someone made a montage of the incident and posted it on Facebook, with commentary. Note the expression of rage in the Border Police officer’s eyes, as seen in the second photo.

In the end the boy got away, due to the intervention of a 22 year-old Israeli activist from Jerusalem named Sahar Vardi, who threw herself in front of the Border Police officer just as he was about to grab the child. Photojournalist Haim Schwarczenberg caught the incident."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QEF_A41hflg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

So I've a bit of an interest in things like coral reefs, bioluminescent fish and that lark, and here's one really interesting type of ocean dweller, called salp. They drift along the sea in these amazing chains/colonies, and are just incredibly cool, because their structure represents a very primitive kind of nervous system, a bit like a precursor to vertebral animals. Mainly though, I like how amazing they look!

14-L-salp_5530.jpg

20120504-salp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Saw this on facebook and said id share it here.
    The old saying, "the burden of proof is on the person making the claim", sounds very good in theory. In practice, this doesn't always work, and it can actually be very difficult to place the burden of proof.

For example, consider the well-worn debate about the existence of God. Atheists will say that the burden of proof lies with the believers, who are claiming that God exists. Believers will say that the burden of proof lies with the athiests, who are claiming that God does not exist. How do you identify the real claim which warrants the burden of proof. Well, you might argue that the affirmative claim is real, and the negative "claim" is not a claim at all, but a critical challenge to the affirmative claim. This rule applies well to the God debate, but what about another example?

Imagine, in some bizzare alternate reality, that it's the year 1012AD and two scientists, Einstein and Newton, have a dispute. Newton woke up that morning with some fabulous velocity/acceleration equations. He hasn't had time to gather evidence yet, but is convinced in his mind that are correct. Einstein, meanwhile, was struck by lightning the previous night and blessed with the knowledge of General Relativity. And there they are, with two opposing ideas. Now where is the burden of proof? Both of them are making claims, and both claims are affirmative.

Myself, Finlay and Alex got into a discussion about burdens of proof. Finlay's theory was that a "neutral case" should be identified, and the burden of proof lies with the opposition to that case. A valiant attempt, but as Alex points out, there are many situations where there is no neutral case. My Einstein-Newton example displays that. Alex's argument is that the burden of proof is an unworkable concept that has no place in debating.

So, having pondered this on-and-off for the last couple of days, I think I can see a solution. You see, the problem lies with having a binary view of disputes. Either a claim is true or it is false. What we need is a third, neutral state. If there is no affirmative or negative support for a claim, or equal amounts of both, then the fact is, we don't know. And that's okay. People often seem afraid to admit that something is unknown. It's so dissatisfying, so disorderly. They feel a lot better if they can conclude that something is true or false, so they push it in one direction or the other so that they can move on and be happy and merry.

My view is that, by default, everything is unknown. So, we can boil down a claim into the statement that "Fact X is true" or "Fact X is false". If Moira trots into the bar and says "God exists", and Brent runs in behind her and says "No way, God doesn't exist, that's ridiculous!", then I propose that it's not a case of "Moira vs Brent". Both of them have made claims, and both have to be considered in isolation. The fact that they made contradictory claims at the same time is irrelevant. The burden of proof is on Moira to prove that God exists, and separately, the burden of proof is on Brent to prove that he doesn't. Until one of the claims is supported, we will default to "We don't know if God exists".

So, anyone want to question my thinking, or present a flaw or an example of where it would fail? By all means, sound off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

532879_3019404939020_36303006_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

That's very unfair, you can't really say either situation is worse. How many people have lived a worn-torn life of poverty and have had to sit around waiting for Shogun 2 to load or had to get up at 6am for a single lecture? If you haven't then who are you to say which is worse? Checkmate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

What an annoying pile of whiny cliched sh.ite. I want those 3 minutes of my life back now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What an annoying pile of whiny cliched sh.ite. I want those 3 minutes of my life back now.

She's hot though. :pac:

Save the trolling for the youtube comments.

Very judgemental of you.
    I simply find it abhorrent when people blatantly misrepresent reality for what appears to be the sole purpose of appearing non judgemental and super nice, which is what the girl in the video is doing. No doubt legions of unhealthy people will be empowered by her message to continue costing the healthcare system (and thus everyone else) a bomb and slowly killing themselves with their unhealthy lifestyles.

Very judgemental of you.
    ...And immediately any valid point you might possibly raise is undermined by that opening.

You're obviously just trying to start an argument, and this isn't a thread for discussing other people's lifestyle choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Very judgemental of you.
    I simply find it abhorrent when people blatantly misrepresent reality for what appears to be the sole purpose of appearing non judgemental and super nice..............
    ...And immediately any valid point you might possibly raise is undermined by that opening.....

tCp90.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

^
    Could be an opportunity for a new thread there.

It's been a while since we've had a good C&H debate. :)

...And immediately any valid point you might possibly raise is undermined by that opening.

You're obviously just trying to start an argument, and this isn't a thread for discussing other people's lifestyle choices.
    And you continue in the same vein with your response... Again, very mature. Should I refrain from presenting an opinion on your presumptions and the validity of them in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Please keep this thread on-topic, everyone, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

She's hot though. :pac:

I'd let her..... roll my fat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

Anyone heard of Mars One Project?

http://mars-one.com/en/

They're sending people to Mars in 2023. It's a one way journey. They're picking the astronauts via some sort of reality show thing. We'll be able to watch them up there on webcam.

• Advertisement

blobcat wrote: »
    Anyone heard of Mars One Project?

http://mars-one.com/en/

They're sending people to Mars in 2023. It's a one way journey. They're picking the astronauts via some sort of reality show thing. We'll be able to watch them up there on webcam.

The founder did an AMA on Reddit and got the piss taken out of them. Publicity stunt seems to be the idea.

PSA: The middle of your LC is not the time to discover Reddit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Not sure if it's been posted but I have just wasted like an hour of my life playing with this. I'm not even sure how that's possible.

http://astretchyhand.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Totally agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Google creates simulated human brain using 16,000 processors.
    They let this look through image searches, youtube etc
    .....It goes looking for cats.....
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/technology/in-a-big-network-of-computers-evidence-of-machine-learning.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

charities dont pay tax and dont declare all their earnings(read in the irish times recently)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

If anyone is in Limerick anytime soon, I encourage you to go to this exhibition in the Hunt Museum. Went into it today and I thought it was very good. It's free entry like so you can't go wrong.

http://www.huntmuseum.com/whats-on/exhibitions/shaped-by-history.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

SAOIRSE!
    Five chimps caused panic at a German zoo after they escaped using a ladder constructed out of tree branches. In a separate incident, police in Las Vegas shot and killed a chimp and tranquilized another after they escaped.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/328454#ixzz20Woqlu5W

Seriously, there's some sort of worldwide chimpanzee revolution going on. Might scoot up to Belfast Zoo and witness the uprising first hand.

Advertisement