Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share something you like/find interesting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

syncosised wrote: »
    If you're using a wireless connection and browsing with either Chrome or Firefox, go to Google Maps. Click the dot above the yellow Street View man. It's scarily accurate! How anonymous do you feel now?

That's mad. I live in the middle of nowhere and it still pinpointed my exact location! Scary but brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Apparently I'm sitting in the tree across the road from my house..... FAIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

I forgot I did this ages ago. It's called FutureMe.org. It's basically sending an email to yourself, except you're sending it to your future self(like in 5/10/20 years or next month, whenever you want!) You just put in your email address, type whatever you want to send(like what's going on atm, stuff you may want to remember in the future etc.) and what date you'd like to recieve it. I thought it was pretty cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Google maps cannot locate me \o/.

I assume it works for mobile internet moreso than real internet.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'm on DSL and it got me within 10 meters of my home. Very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

It has me in the house across the road now. It also has the numbers on the wrong side of the road, so if I'm going by numbers they have it right.

An absolutely STUNNING piece of art work from our top Irish Vega player, and my own personal nemesis, Ken B. Give him a bit of praise for this, it's pretty mindblowing... You need to see the scale of this thing in the post

66ba51c1cc84fea77feb404d61291876.jpg?v=270000

Don't thank this post, thank his

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

This is why I love the internet;

One video caused war on the internet,it's a weird social phenomenom

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

http://www.truththeory.org/

Really cool site with lots of interesting documentaries, for free! This site is a great place to waste time on :)

This is why I love the internet;

One video caused war on the internet,it's a weird social phenomenom

It's mainly funny because now her life is ruined forever by the ever watching eye that is big /b/rother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Sergei Larenkov's photography- he's 'shopped Russian War photos with those of the present day to create a really cool effect.

0005x5cq

EDIT: apologies for my major thread-breakage

firstcontactalien.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Awesome 10min video following 2 American dancers who went to the World Irish Dance Championships in Glasgow this year. The dancing is VERY impressive - watch it even if you know nothing about Irish Dancing :)

Aaaaaaand a short look at the World Championships in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Came across http://givingpledge.org/ in the Times today.

It's a movement started by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to get the wealthiest people in America to give the majority of their money to charity during their lifetime or when they die. Buffet is donating 99% of his $47 billion fortune when he dies.
    Pierre and Pam Omidyar, whose fortune from eBay, the auction website, is estimated at $US5.2bn, wrote in their Giving Pledge letter: "We have more money than our family will ever need. There's no need to hold on to it when it can be put to use today."

They're hoping that by making it so public, they'll pressure other billionaires into following suit. Peer pressure ftw!

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Came across http://givingpledge.org/ in the Times today.

It's a movement started by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to get the wealthiest people in America to give the majority of their money to charity during their lifetime or when they die. Buffet is donating 99% of his $47 billion fortune when he dies.

They're hoping that by making it so public, they'll pressure other billionaires into following suit. Peer pressure ftw!
    I saw somewhere Bill Gates will only leaves 0.01% of his wealth to his kids[it's still a good 20-30 million each] and the rest goes to his charity foundation.He's worth ~60 billion dollars.
    I know it's not really the point but if a few [maybe like 5] of the billionaires on that list died,they would actually effect the global economy with the amount of money that would flood those countries.That's a crazy amount of influence in only a handful of people

I saw somewhere Bill Gates will only leaves 0.01% of his wealth to his kids[it's still a good 20-30 million each] and the rest goes to his charity foundation.He's worth ~60 billion dollars.
    I know it's not really the point but if a few [maybe like 5] of the billionaires on that list died,they would actually effect the global economy with the amount of money that would flood those countries.That's a crazy amount of influence in only a handful of people

Indeed, Bill Gates personally has more money than many of the poorest countries combined. It's odd to think that if he died, and the money was put to good use (which may not happen due to corruption/bureaucracy) it in theory has the potential to feed an entire country for quite a substantial length of time (hell you could probably feed Ireland for a year on that :P).
    I mean realistically it would be better spent invented in education, infrastructure and farming equipment/training and the like rather than just on food (hopefully), but still.

Well Irish GNP is around 150 billion dollars[its the standard unit] and only about 10% of that is from the agri-food sector[which is basically all food] so 50 billion would feed ireland for about 6 years (we export most of our food production) holy crap,his fridge must be like narnia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well Irish GNP is around 150 billion dollars[its the standard unit] and only about 10% of that is from the agri-food sector[which is basically all food] so 50 billion would feed ireland for about 6 years (we export most of our food production) holy crap,his fridge must be like narnia

I'd imagine the majority of our food comes from imports, just like everything else in this country...

This is the highest level SF play Ireland has to offer. My good friend Terry (AnimaX, one of pyggy's tutors!) goes up against "Irish Cammy" one of the top 16 players in Europe, Cobelcog in the grand final of Ireland's 11th National Ranking SF4 Tourney. The atmosphere was electric, the crowd reactions make this. Check it out!

If you don't want to watch it all, just skip to 7.00 to see why I am in love with the fighting game community.

And in case anyone cares, I got top 8 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

D4RK ONION wrote: »

If you don't want to watch it all, just skip to 7.00 to see why I am in love with the fighting game community.

Because they cheer? :p

• Advertisement

He takes the match with an anti-air Ultra, and only barely manages to make it juggle. If you'd seen the crowd, you'd swear we'd just won the lotto. (people rarely want Cobelcog to win). Go to about 6.40 actually, Cobelcog thinks he has it and taunts, then that happens. Maybe you just had to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

He takes the match with an anti-air Ultra, and only barely manages to make it juggle. If you'd seen the crowd, you'd swear we'd just won the lotto. (people rarely want Cobelcog to win). Go to about 6.40 actually, Cobelcog thinks he has it and taunts, then that happens. Maybe you just had to be there.

Nah, I was just kidding. I get what you mean. There's a great atmosphere and a sense of unity, with people on the edges of their seats as they will on whoever it is they want to win. :)

And in case anyone cares, I got top 8 :)
    There's nothing quite like a gamer moment where everyone is so excited about it.My favourite MTG one:

to sum it up,the guy on the left only had 1 card in a 60 card deck that could get him out of the situation,he had no cards in hand.He put out the costs of the one card and flips it straight out of his deck,explosive cheering worldwide followed.

Most of you probably won't get it,but it always makes me smile
    (kev back me up here,topdeck of the century)

I sort of get what's going on, I have had brief exposure to MtG. The Fighting Game Equivalent is the video I posted last night and screw it imma post it again. Makes me shiver everytime I see it.

Much the same as yours Ginja's, Daigo (Ken) is down to chip damage, blocking a move will kill him and lose him the tourney. Justin (Chun) gets greedy and goes for the super, but Daigo parrys every hit (so SO difficult) and takes him out. Crowd screams, history is made. Full match if you want to see it.

I'm far from competent when it comes to street fighter but:

HOLY SH!T!!
    That's at least 12 consecutive parrys z'oh my goodness!

It is something Justin has yet to live down :P They're still rivals in a big way in SSF4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

El Mac, a graffiti artist;

el_mac_retna_reyes_finished-wall.jpgestevan_mac_retna_web.jpg

I also love Juxtapoz magazine, any tattoo magazines, and well, basically anything arty... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Gonna be a meteor shower on thursday night .... Can't wait! Possible to see a good few wednesday night too!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Gonna be a meteor shower on thursday night .... Can't wait! Possible to see a good few wednesday night too!! :D
    I'm hoping to be out of a light pollution area by then. \o/

Advertisement