Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Operation Armageddon" in 1969 would have been mass suicide for Irish - STAY ON TOPIC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At least it would have gotten rid of Fianna Fail, had the Kamikaze operation gone ahead, and old Charlie wouldn't have amassed the vast fortune that he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No it would not, if you think for one minute taht Irish people would allow the brits to slaughter other Irish people you dont know what you are talking about, look at Iraq and Afganistan they havent wont there now have they. The Irish public would rise and we would use everything to get those Brits out of our Republic, there is no way a army can defeat 2 million Irish men even if they were unarmed.

Please, will you actually flick your brain to "on".

No.1. Not every man in Ireland would have fought.

No.2 What normal person would go up there unarmed to piss off British troops?

No.3 Drawing a comparision with Iraq/Afghanistan is stupid, they could have mobilised troops over from Britain within hours, they can't do that to Iraq/Afghanistan.

You might find it hard to think "the old enemy" could ever get one over on us, but please, think...even now they would wipe us out, no disrespect to the Defence Forces, theyre ust far superior experience, equipment and logistics wise.

Think about what your saying:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

TheZohan wrote: »
    You would have had men volunteering en masse. Emotions were running very high at the time.

Do you honestly believe that?

Do you really think that if the call to arms came and the Irish army where being slaughtered, do you really think anyone in there right mind would sign up?

At most they would of been given 1 pistol 1 hand grenade and a pat on the back and sent to there deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

No it would not, if you think for one minute taht Irish people would allow the brits to slaughter other Irish people you dont know what you are talking about, look at Iraq and Afganistan they havent wont there now have they. The Irish public would rise and we would use everything to get those Brits out of our Republic, there is no way a army can defeat 2 million Irish men even if they were unarmed.

Its doubtful the British would target Irish civilians, there would not be another 'Black and Tan' situation. Britain would simply dessimate the Irish Army and Government and reassert its claim over Northern Ireland. I seriously doubt they would consider occupying the 32 counties again. They would just destroy the infrastructure and governing systems and then allow us to rebuild under the threat that if we tried it again we would get slapped again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Do you honestly believe that?

I do, Ireland in the '60s is a lot different to Ireland today.

Men were real men. People had pride in their country.

• Advertisement

I dont think you have any idea about War and Occupation. And comparing well armed Afgan and Iraqi isurgances to non armed irish civilains who have no combate training what so ever is a bit silly.

Il make it simple.

They have big guns. We have a Hurley.

I think that the end result would have been a UN mission covering the whole island, until "New elections" had taken place, after Lynch and his colleagues had been packed off to a rubber room.

I don't think that the British would have had full control with the US breathing down their necks.

Men are men, when uve a family at home and 10 guys in front of you just got Bomded by a Harrier or shot in the face by a guy 500 meters away, i know which way im going to run and its not forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

weren't most irish men already in britain at the time, on the buildings :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Blay wrote: »
    Please, will you actually flick your brain to "on".

No.1. Not every man in Ireland would have fought.

No.2 What normal person would go up there unarmed to piss off British troops?

No.3 Drawing a comparision with Iraq/Afghanistan is stupid, they could have mobilised troops over from Britain within hours, they can't do that to Iraq/Afghanistan.

You might find it hard to think "the old enemy" could ever get one over on us, but please, think...even now they would wipe us out, no disrespect to the Defence Forces, theyre ust far superior experience, equipment and logistics wise.

Think about what your saying:rolleyes:

Maybe you should think about what ure saying, are you even Irish? because i find it hard to believe that a Irish person wouldnt fight to the death for his country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Here is the Daily Mail's take;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1210141/Irish-generals-plotted-attack-UK-forces-Ulster.html
    Codenamed 'Exercise Armageddon', the operations against British targets in 1969 would have stunned the world.

lol!

Maybe you should think about what ure saying, are you even Irish? because i find it hard to believe that a Irish person wouldnt fight to the death for his country.

So being Irish=You fight blindly against armed and trained men with your bare hands because theyre the "Brits.":rolleyes:

If that's a requirement to be Irish you can have my passport back.

I dont think you have any idea about War and Occupation. And comparing well armed Afgan and Iraqi isurgances to non armed irish civilains who have no combate training what so ever is a bit silly.

Il make it simple.

They have big guns. We have a Hurley.

And what age are you? i would suggest that you probaly grew up in a nice safe middle classs estate so you have no idea what you are talking about, it was diffrent back in the 70's and people would fight for Ireland regardless. You must have no pride in being Irish if when your country was invaded you would not fight, i know most people and they would fight to the death even if they were outnumbered.

I get the feeling you would relish the chance.

The British would not attack Irish civilians or try to re-occupy the 26 counties so there would be no reason for anyone to "die for their country".

If thousands of trained and armed irish army personnel were killed by the Brtiish Army what would be the point in untrained, ill equipped civilians following them?

And what age are you? i would suggest that you probaly grew up in a nice safe middle classs estate so you have no idea what you are talking about, it was diffrent back in the 70's and people would fight for Ireland regardless. You must have no pride in being Irish if when your country was invaded you would not fight, i know most people and they would fight to the death even if they were outnumbered.

No actually i brought up on a council estate in Wales by a single mother.

If this had happened and you where called to arm's you wouldn't of made it half way to the North and your CIE bus would of been bombed has it left the depot.

You know nothing of people, you might think your ideology of dieing for your country is a noble one, but i doubt your wife and kids would think the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I still maintain we should have done something - Especially after the British soldiers made a habit of murdering innocent Irish civlians. Even if it was only symbolic, the Brits got away with way too much nonsense and deserved a good slapping.

You can be sure that if it did go down, there would have been men, women and children ready to voltuneer in a heartbeat and it wouldn't have been a Falklands.

You know nothing of people, you might think your ideology of dieing for your country is a noble one, but i doubt your wife and kids would think the same.

It is when you are defending the lives of your very own countrymen and women from an oppressive foreign army who was murdering innocent people, and colluding with loyalist terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Surely you dont mean all of Ireland, you think the Prods could get and etnic cleanse even a mile over the border, not likely, the general Irish population would mobilise and kick those Prods across the Irish sea, you have to remember we Catholics were the majority in the island of Ireland.

The Prods as you call them with a little help from the British Army.
    Interesting how you Republicans have told us for decades that the Brits were a murderous force of oppression in the North and yet fail to factor them into any such war in Ireland - maybe they weren't quite the bogeymen you said they were.

No actually i brought up on a council estate in Wales by a single mother.

If this had happened and you where called to arm's you wouldn't of made it half way to the North and your CIE bus would of been bombed has it left the depot.

The CIE would have upped the price of the fare, and most people would have had to thumb it because they couldn't afford to go by bus. By the time they got to the North, they wouldn't have had the strength to lift their hurleys, let alone give someone a clout with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Once they blew up the BBC the Irish civilians would have turned on the government. :pac:

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    It is when you are defending the lives of your very own countrymen and women from an oppressive foreign army who was murdering innocent people, and colluding with loyalist terrorists.

Yeah yeah..nobility..patriotism..blah blah blah. The fact is, if the Irish Army had of crossed that border a lot of women in this country now would be widows and sons would be without fathers.

People can spout "fcuk the Brits" and sh1te all day but we would have got our arse handed to us and nobody would have taken up arms like some here seem to think would have happened, people don't think like Padraig Pearse etc anymore, theres no altruism, they would have read the paper and said "go up there? fcuk that", if people down here were so "anti British" why didn't they cross the border off their own bat and fight the big bad British Army? Because they'd have been coming home in a box. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

I still maintain we should have done something - Especially after the British soldiers made a habit of murdering innocent Irish civlians. Even if it was only symbolic, the Brits got away with way too much nonsense and deserved a good slapping.

You can be sure that if it did go down, there would have been men, women and children ready to voltuneer in a heartbeat and it wouldn't have been a Falklands.

The Falklands comparison is valid - there, Argentina needed to drag thousands of frightened conscripts to fight the Brits and got thumped back within a matter of weeks and haven't tried again since.

The Irish army and conscripts/volunteers like yourself would have suffered a similar fate.......

And what you gonna defend them with?

Also what ur saying did happen and the fellow country men did nothing so what ur saying doesnt make any sense.

All im saying that if this operation went ahead it would of been a complete disaster and a very fast ass whopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Shouldnt this thread be in the Walter Mitty forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Look at how bias the comments and ratings are in the Daily Shíte article :pac:

[quote=PirateShampoo;61883523
    You know nothing of people, you might think your ideology of dieing for your country is a noble one, but i doubt your wife and kids would think the same.[/quote]

And you know nothing about Irish people so maybe you should talk about wales and dont get involved in other countries disputes.

And what you gonna defend them with?

Also what ur saying did happen and the fellow country men did nothing so what ur saying doesnt make any sense.

All im saying that if this operation went ahead it would of been a complete disaster and a very fast ass whopping.

In another thread you said we should rename the country ****eville, so i think you would not fight for anything as you seem to not like this country, so i think i will not listen to you ideals as this country is better off without people like you if that is what you think Of Ireland.

In another thread you said we should rename the country ****eville, so i think you would not fight for anything as you seem to not like this country, so i think i will not listen to you ideals as this country is better off without people like you if that is what you think Of Ireland.

Im just here for your women and dole money.

Yeah yeah..nobility..patriotism..blah blah blah. The fact is, if the Irish Army had of crossed that border a lot of women in this country now would be widows and sons would be without fathers.

If we had crossed that invisible line, it would have been the moral thing to do. Maybe we would have suffered loss - but to sit back and let a foreign army murder our countrymen was the biggest sin of all.
    People can spout "fcuk the Brits"

Who said that?
    but we would have got our arse handed to us and nobody would have taken up arms like some here seem to think would have happened

Yes they would.
    people don't think like Padraig Pearse etc anymore

It wasn't even an issue of independance, it was a human rights issue - where innocent civilians were murdered by a nation's official armed forces.
    if people down here were so "anti British"

It has nothing to do with "anti-British". It has to do with objections to their foreign policy. You might try cod a lesser person with that association rhetoric, but not me
    why didn't they cross the border off their own bat and fight the big bad British Army?

They did cross the border and fight. However, membership of the IRA was illegal - so it wasn't exactly the easiest thing to do.
    Because they'd have been coming home in a box. End of.

They would have been already home. The British would have suffered similar losses. The international community would inevitably have to step in.

1916 wasn't an easy chapter in our history, but it was a necessary chapter. And this would have been to, if FF had the balls to actually stand up against the British terrorists.

• Advertisement

It was just a contingency plan, all governments put them together when a threat exists. They are rarely taken seriously.

I think the British had a contingency plan for the invasion of Russia at one stage- its just something the army has to do to cover all angles.

Thank god it didnt happen

Advertisement