Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Operation Armageddon" in 1969 would have been mass suicide for Irish - STAY ON TOPIC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

And On-Demand on the RTE player if you're in ROI/NI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Also, it can summarised by this video:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Donny5 wrote: »
    Also, it can summarised by this video:

Although the Harrier is/was an impressive plane, the Fleet Air Arm were using Blackburn Buccaneers by then and they had also started going into service with the RAF.

The Buccanner was designed for high speed low altitude bombing and they really are as scary as **** when you see one of those at 200 feet.

There is one at Weston I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

darkman2 wrote: »
    I think the fact that...

(lol!)

....tells us all we need to know:rolleyes:
    When the first wave of Brits came into the North in April 1969 they were transported to heysham from Colchester by busses.They then travelled by boat to Belfast and from Belfast to Ballykinlar camp by 3 ton trucks and also local busses. So whats your point??

getz wrote: »
    i would expect better from a moderator
    Why? Should he not tell the truth?

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    you are saying that the british deliberately tried to starve the irish ?not that the land owners sent food out of the country for profit ?and no most of the land owners in ireland were irish and the irish members of the parliment did not seem to care ,the famine hit other parts of britain as well, in scotland over 1.5 million had to leave the same amount that left ireland,even today over 750 million people [equivalent to double the population of europe], world wide suffer from hunger and malnutrition.no buisness man of to-day, would give away food. its always left to the charities/and the biggest one that helped the irish was the quakers,others like the rich churches,fed them on blessings ,no priests starved to death.
    Ahh whats the point? You are blinkered. The British systemically starved the Irish. FACT

Tordelback wrote: »
    Gosh, you're right. What a wonderful time that would have been for everyone, as I'm sure the Vietnamese would be the first to tell you. I imagine those dirty Brits would have had to take D4 and D6 street by street, eh. There's nothing like a guerilla war that drags on for years to really pull a country together.
    Well if the people behaved like they did in 1916 when they spat on IRA priisoners in the streets of Dublin, then I think the Brits would have been given tea like in days gone by.:mad:

mike65 wrote: »
    A smell a bigot I do :)
    No Bigot there but a truthful man. Everybody here is not a lackey to the Brits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

No Bigot there but a truthful man. Everybody here is not a lackey to the Brits

You're right, some of us are realists.

...and yet they can still kick our arse.
    So what? My brother is bigger than your brother. Germany beat shyte outa Britain ffs

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There weren't any British nationals living here, just Irish passport holders with English accents.:P
    We still find those around to this day. :D:D

Saadyst wrote: »
    I said this to the missus tonight - this is just like "Deadliest Warrior".

I'm not too familiar with Irish history, so I was hoping to find out a few things tonight. Unfortunately I'm left with a lot of questions - they way RTE kept on jumping back and forth with the timeline and between different scenarios, wasn't very helpful. And what was the deal with the female presenter constantly walking off and talking to the camera over her shoulder :confused:

Anyway, as regards to the British officer referring to the Irish army as 'puny' - I don't think that was meant to be arrogant, but moreso a statement of fact. He almost seemed shocked to even be asked these questions (Irish military vs British military). I've no idea the numbers of armed forces that Britain had at the time, but I think when you compare the two - one would clearly eclipse the other.
    Very true. The IRA had at its peak about 150 active members and still kicked the ass of the SAS etc:D

the scream of a low flying jet ended any hopes of an Irish Army victory:)
    Duh it was hypothetical . It never happened. No can we assume it was a hypothetically screaming jet that ended any hypothetical hopes of a hypothetical victory????:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

McArmalite's little brother just got a PC, how cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Great idea!
    Declare war on everyone, get bombed and rebuilt at everyone elses expense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I see a lock coming to end this war

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I see a lock coming to end this war
    Truly democratic act:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Buccanner was designed for high speed low altitude bombing and they really are as scary as **** when you see one of those at 200 feet.
    At 20 feet they would be gone before you know they are there

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/bomber/buccaneer/buccaneer_05.jpg

http://www.avcollect2.co.uk/buccaneer/pprune/XV352%20GMGD%2011ft%20Large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

So what? My brother is bigger than your brother. Germany beat shyte outa Britain ffs

What version of History have you been reading?

What version of History have you been reading?
    Ok remove the Americans(who won the war in fact), French, , Norwegians , Czechs Irish:mad: etc etc and then the Brits got their asses kicked. The Germans were almost over the channel and they bombed the crap out of London and the Midlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ok remove the Americans(who won the war in fact), French, , Norwegians , Czechs Irish:mad: etc etc and then the Brits got their asses kicked. The Germans were almost over the channel and they bombed the crap out of London and the Midlands.

YEP the Nazis would have beaten the Brits on their own.

Grate point! :o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    YEP the Nazis would have beaten the Brits on their own.

Grate point! :o
    Yes they would have done so. If Hitler had not gone to Russia, then it would have been a different story. I personally am glad that he choose the way he did but I get kinda peed off to hear the stupid brits say "we won the war" They won shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I wouldn't say the Americans won the War, in fact I think you'll find that it was the Russians who first turned the tide in the war and defeated the Germans on Russian soil then advanced on Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Almost being still on the shores of France with zero landing craft :confused: Again what sort of history are you being thought?

Stev_o wrote: »
    Almost being still on the shores of France with zero landing craft :confused: Again what sort of history are you being thought?
    Realistic stuff and not the stupid one sided English crap

Realistic stuff and not the stupid one sided English crap

Examples being? Dude sorry but your talking complete BS here.

Examples being? Dude sorry but your talking complete BS here.
    Firstly I am not "Dude" and unless you are American then do you realise that it sounds stupid coming from a yank but even more stupid coming from an Irishman. Anyway example 1 "the brits won the war" Truth- the Allies won the first and second world wars

Firstly I am not "Dude" and unless you are American then do you realise that it sounds stupid coming from a yank but even more stupid coming from an Irishman. Anyway example 1 "the brits won the war" Truth- the Allies won the first and second world wars

Where has anyone said the Brits won the war? Do you realise how stupid you sound when you said the Germans where almost over the channel? Also sort your grammar if your going to to try and criticise me for saying "Dude" try to at least make some sort of sense and make it somewhat coherent.

Where has anyone said the Brits won the war? Do you realise how stupid you sound when you said the Germans where almost over the channel? Also sort your grammar if your going to to try and criticise me for saying "Dude" try to at least make some sort of sense and make it somewhat coherent.
    "Where almost over the channel"? That sound stupid to you "dude"?:D:D:D:DYou were saying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Ok itsonlywords there are many things wrong with your posts.

You clearly have an anti - British bias. When it comes to evaluating history you absolutely must have objectivity as far as possible. So perhaps stop referring to them as the "Brits" and people might take you more seriously.

You also show a clear misunderstanding of the Wermarcht and its fighting capabilities. While Blitzkrieg was brutally successful in France and pretty much everywhere else you miss an important point. This all worked because of the seamless integration of aircraft, motorised divisions and infantry. To invade Britain the Germans would have required a gargantuan landing fleet just to get their troops and tanks to Britain. Considering the skys were still being contested and that the RAF had better fighting aircraft this would have been very difficult. All it would have required to stop the invasion would have been for the vastly superiour British Navy to intervene.

So please stop spouting generalised historical BS and anti - British drivel when there is no evidence to back it up.

Advertisement