Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Spiders

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's a huge one in the shed in Waterford. I don't go in there anymore, I can take the lawnmower out without actually going inside the shed.

Our shed is about 8ft wide and probably 10ft long or so. I could clearly make out 4 of its legs behind a tin of paint at the far side of the shed from the door last time I went in.

I'm not a fan of the the little scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

here ya go, found this and 2 of his mates this evening in the bedroom :(
    23w87l5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

If you have spiders in yer house make sure they ain't Crack Cocaine Mutha****as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

RonMexico wrote: »
    If you have spiders in yer house make sure they ain't Crack Cocaine Mutha****as.

hahahahaha that was hilarious:pac:....i only realised it was a pisstake half way through:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

cynos wrote: »
    here ya go, found this and 2 of his mates this evening in the bedroom :(
    23w87l5.jpg

:eek::eek::eek: holy jaysus the size of that thing...and there were 3?

• Advertisement

how can their be spiders this big all over the place:(gladly i never seen one...YET...uhh not looking forward to winter:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

This time last year there were droves of them in our house, a neighbour told me hers was the same. This year I haven't seen any...hope they're not all behind the sofa waiting:eek:..Massive bluebottles circulating in my garden, no normal flies around at all. Very aggressive wasps about too, all attacking me on a daily basis. One followed me and my wee lad around Hughes and Hughes last week. Kept flying straight at us...I'm not afraid of the wee bast*rds tho', I just keep slapping them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

I haven't seen any in a while, but they are called house spiders..and they usually are found trapped in the bath..theyre also the fastest spiders here..i thought 1 was a mouse one day running across the wooden floor and under the chair..i just got a quick glimpse and went to get a brush thinking i was going to hit a mouse lol turns it was a spider

hmmm the spiders have united into one big spider army and are coming for us all:(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JTER

I was going to sleep last night and I kept hearing scrape scrape scrape, thought a mouse was in the room,, switched light on and looked up to the certificates on my closet and low and behold one of these big fellas was having a good read,, poor fellow was trying to get off it, he couldn't walk on the wood, how he got up there is a mystery.

Maybe he could walk up it but coming down was the problem.

Was cold enough night so i didn't throw him out, placed him over by the college books. I love spiders but i didn't fancy him being so close to me above my head as i slept. Used to scare the girls by picking these up when i was younger, not sure id be so keen to hold them now, fast little feckers.

*makes mental note to try and pick up next one*

• Advertisement

JTER wrote: »
    I was going to sleep last night and I kept hearing scrape scrape scrape, thought a mouse was in the room,, switched light on and looked up to the certificates on my closet and low and behold one of these big fellas was having a good read,, poor fellow was trying to get off it, he couldn't walk on the wood, how he got up there is a mystery.

Maybe he could walk up it but coming down was the problem.

Was cold enough night so i didn't throw him out, placed him over by the college books. I love spiders but i didn't fancy him being so close to me above my head as i slept. Used to scare the girls by picking these up when i was younger, not sure id be so keen to hold them now, fast little feckers.

u LOVE spiders?...seek help:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

JTER wrote: »
    I love spiders but i didn't fancy him being so close to me above my head as i slept. Used to scare the girls by picking these up when i was younger, not sure id be so keen to hold them now, fast little feckers.

come on post your number and i'll call ya next time I see one, last year there were a few found too.
    I dont mind spiders but these feckers are huge, that one reminded me of the huntsmen you see in Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cliokat

Only saw the really large feckers for the first time last year. Was sitting in living room with housemate when we heard tapping, looked down to see a huge spider trying to squeeze himself under the couch. After tucking jeans into socks and a shot of vodca for courage, we hunted him with the hoover and a brush. After a bit of chasing - fast moving - managed to hoover him. Grand until saw another one the next night, am convinced he survived his trip into the hoover and came back for revenge - moved out a month later, the giant spider was a factor!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Despite moving into my apartment last march - I saw my first one of these huge feckers on Saturday. Went into the spare bedroom, and there he was, plonked in the middle of the bed, looking up at me.

Managed to grab him with tissue and feck him outside. I hope he wasn;t a forwarx scout, and the main assault is going to come soon. Since then, I have spotted a fair few of the small feckers floating around.

I think they're planning something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

Im terrifyed of the f***ers, i was gettin alot of them in my new apaerment but i heard they dont like conkers so i now have conkers in bowls all over my house, i also got this lemon oil form the health food shop i spray it around my windows and doors , its ment to keep them out, I havent seen any so far. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The other day as I was loading the washing machine with a towel that has been on the kitchen floor, right under my hand a MASSIVE one crawled slowly (the length of his legs explained the languid movements I think!) into the drum. I almost puked with fear and screamed the house down - my 7 yr old closed the washing machine door for me and we washed him to death. Horribly, every now and then I saw a fat leg hit the inside glass of the door. Biggest one this year. 3 inches across I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Look out for the false widow spider as it's in Ireland now. I killed one in by bathroom the other day and have seen loads of them in the garden.

http://www.irishhealth.com/discussion/message.html?dis=4&topic=11108

http://www.wicklowpeople.ie/news/children-find-fake-black-widow-spider-at-house-1450103.html

http://www.uksafari.com/falsewidows3.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bauble

I think I jinxed myself! Only read this thread last week out of fear cos I'd seen loads of little spiders about and have since had two MASSIVE spiders in the apt :eek:. Freaked out! I've heard that they come in this time of year because of the change in temperature and will leave again when the heating comes on .... hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

check out this communal spiderweb in Texas.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F05E1DF133EF932A0575BC0A9619C8B63

Their finally working together and should take over the world sometime in June 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

I put this link in the other tread but i will put it here as well

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24540399-5009760,00.html

Sleep well;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I like spiders because they catch flies and flies are dirty bastárds that frequent dumps, sewers and garbage heaps, feeding on fecal matter, discharges from wounds and sores, sputum, and all sorts of moist, decaying matter such as spoiled fish, eggs and meat. Flies regurgitate and excrete wherever they come to rest and thereby are ideally suited to mechanically transmit disease organisms. Basically they are dirty little cúnts so long live the spider. Spiders ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Can't stand spiders myself.

Try to overcome the fear by picking up little ones and throwing them out a window instead of covering them with a glass but just can't do it with these big feckers :(

I know I'm a lot bigger than them and they cannot hurt me (shutup) but still, just cannae do it.

If I use a pint glass, I make sure there is an inch of water at the bottom and swirl it around the glass so the spider cannot crawl up it (Eensy Weensy Spider ftw).

Oddily though, I have no issue at all with daddy long legs. They don't freak me out in the sligthest and they are essentially spiders with wings.

Ps. If I ever saw a jumping spider I think I'd cry.

Pps. Anyone who knows me in real life and tries to be funny by throwing a spdier at me, I'll punch you. You have been warned.

Advertisement