Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Spiders

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

That would make the most sense - those house spiders can get quite large.

I don't recall seeing a Violin / Brown Recluse before. And I wasn't aware that any species found here are poisonous.

I don't want to come across those little feckers, seems they'll have a nasty and painful bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

It's mating season, the male Spiders are looking for wimmin Spiders to get it on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

This thread is making me twitchy! Found a few big uns lately in our house, but have now trained the cat to eat them...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,276 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Partizan wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, will ya listen to yourself. They are harmless FFS. I live in a studio apartment by myself and I'm sharing it with my adopted pet fruit spider. He's huge about half the size of my hand but he's doing a great job keeping out the flies and bluebottles which I used to have a problem with. He has his web over the TV and every now and then scurries accross the floor in which i'm really careful I dont squish him. He's also has set up shop outside my window. One day last week he was on my couch and he nearly sat on him so I took up in my hand, patted him on the head and placed him back on his web. He's been there for months.

For killing the flies I get a good, honest and reliable companion in return. You cant beat that.

Jesus..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

buckieburd wrote: »
    This thread is making me twitchy! Found a few big uns latley in our house, but have now trained the cat to eat them...
    I was training the dog to do the same, until he started playing with one, fecked it up into the air for it to fall on the couch right beside me. :eek: Really really :eek:

My OH tried to catch one under a pint glass. It's legs were too big. They are HUGE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sick of them now,....large fcukin spiders and stupid daddy long legs...i hate those fcukers the most as they're just dumb.

Berkut wrote: »
    Sick of them now,....large fcukin spiders and stupid daddy long legs...i hate those fcukers the most as they're just dumb.

I hate daddy long legsseseses with a passion. And there are millions of them around the place at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

That would make the most sense - those house spiders can get quite large.

I don't recall seeing a Violin / Brown Recluse before. And I wasn't aware that any species found here are poisonous.

I don't want to come across those little feckers, seems they'll have a nasty and painful bite.

The recluse spider isn't in Ireland. Yet.....

However, THIS chap is, and they will bite ya!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

So you writing a new mud?

No way... spiders don't need additional exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

I was training the dog to do the same, until he started playing with one, fecked it up into the air for it to fall on the couch right beside me. :eek: Really really :eek:

My OH tried to catch one under a pint glass. It's legs were too big. They are HUGE.

LOL there was a HUGE one in the living room the other night, and I was screaming at the cat for ages 'EAT IT YOU FECKING EJJIT' neighbours must think i'm crazy!

It's such a stupid fear, I know they cant hurt me, and I'm normally a rational person, but they just freak me out ) :

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wandagal

lol i hpe nt:( nw u got me thinkin where i gna sleep 2nite:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

So how do I deter them?

SarahSassy wrote: »
    So how do I deter them?

Ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Iang87 wrote: »
    What is with these giant spiders wondering around lately. A few times this week i've been just sitting and a spider the size of a small dog is wondering across in front of me.

Some of these ****ers are so big you nearly have to ask them to keep their heads down so you can see the TV
    OMG! Same thing happened to me last night when I was watching TV! It was a big one (by Irish standards of course - we're not in Australia!). I threw the pillow on top of it and stepped on it. Then I lifted the pillow to pick up the body and the bloody thing started running at me at 50mph*! :eek:

It was like a SuperSpider!

*Slight exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Iang87 wrote: »
    What is with these giant spiders wondering around lately.

I know! Going around, starting fights. Getting drunk and disorderly. Taking our jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Porkpie wrote: »
    I know! Going around, starting fights. Getting drunk and disorderly. Taking our jobs!
    THEY TOOK OUR JEEEEEEERBS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

The best way to deal with them is a broom. I can't sleep with them in the house. One morning I woke up and one of them was on my face. Nearly had a heart-attack I was so scared. (metaphorically).

The best way to deal with them is a broom. I can't sleep with them in the house. One morning I woke up and one of them was on my face. Nearly had a heart-attack I was so scared. (metaphorically).

You were metaphorically scared? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

These guys are most likely Tegenaria Gigantea, or Giant House Spider. They normally live in Sheds and Garages but come i around Agust/ Spetember to find a mate....and they are the fastest spider in the world and can reportedly travel at 25 miles an hour !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

You were metaphorically scared? :confused:
    The heart-attack was metaphoric. The fear was not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    These guys are most likely Tegenaria Gigantea, or Giant House Spider.

''Giant house spider''?! Now there's 3 words I never wanted to see in the same sentence :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The Walsho wrote: »

Christ Almighty!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

I have caught 2 in our house lately was sitting down watching TV and I saw something run out from under the couch didnt dare say anything because the OH would have went mental, she doesnt like them at all. It was mental big and so damn fast found another the day after.

Some of the replies here are brilliant I have had a great laugh at them :D
    twanda wrote: »
    ''Giant house spider''?! Now there's 3 words I never wanted to see in the same sentence :eek:

brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

The Walsho wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    WTF???!!! THAT THING IS MASSIVE!!!!! Damn you walsho!!! :(:eek::(:eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

I've found 4 of them in the last 6 days :(
    2 in the bath, 2 on a curtain.

Found this one the other day

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2675/3856602875_5a9736af46.jpg

I know there's nothing to scale it against but I wasn't going to stick my hand anywhere near it.
    It's standing beside a little square on the curtain which measures about 2cm. Definetly the biggest one I've ever seen.
    My dad picked it up and I screamed a lot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Archeron

A Doozer wrote: »
    It's when they're across the room and you can see the joints and muscles and you're not allowed to kill it is when to pay hommage to your new arachnid deity and sacrifice a goat to appease it's hunger.

Great news, I've been wondering what to do with that goat I got last Christmas.

jigglywoo wrote: »
    I've found 4 of them in the last 6 days :(
    2 in the bath, 2 on a curtain.

Found this one the other day

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2675/3856602875_5a9736af46.jpg

I know there's nothing to scale it against but I wasn't going to stick my hand anywhere near it.
    It's standing beside a little square on the curtain which measures about 2cm. Definetly the biggest one I've ever seen.
    My dad picked it up and I screamed a lot :(

Bloody hell. WTF type of spider is that??

I reckon none of us hae seen those at home, so your house is definitely under attack.

God speed, Jiggly, and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Cool spider, take more pics people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Advertisement