Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed People

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

Sh1t is the same the world over, it depends on your outlook and the choices you make not which part of the world you happen to be in.. If you were a happy person the weather/climate would not get you down. A bit of sunshine is not going to "cure" depression!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Personally, I would like to move to London for a few reasons, sometimes I feel I have wasted my life away here and I would like to start a fresh somewhere else but I don't have the money to move. I would really like to go, I just guess I need to keep saving up.

My OH can't find work and it is getting us both down. I think he would have better opportunities in England. Just wish we had the finance to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

angel01 wrote: »
    My OH can't find work and it is getting us both down. I think he would have better opportunities in England. Just wish we had the finance to go.

I know I will probably get shouted at for this but, you are entitled to social welfare in the UK if you are from the Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I know I will probably get shouted at for this but, you are entitled to social welfare in the UK if you are from the Republic of Ireland.
    yes and depending on your circumstances, if you get private accommodation, you can also apply for housing benifit/ council tax relief

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

snyper wrote: »
    if you suffer from manic depression, leaving the country doesnt solve the problem. You cant run away from your own head.

What the hell? Sound advice from Snyper of all people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A man who obiously suffered from serious depression

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20090824/ten-janus-dad-is-found-hanged-c60bd6d.html

Caoimhín wrote: »

Yes but we need to save the cash up to afford a place to live etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

dresden8 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it unbelievable that every second fncker is depressed or "bi-polar", the new must have fashion accessory.

Every tosser who has a bad day in now depressed.

Not to detract from serious illnesses in those who actually have it, but jeez, bi-polar me hole. (Mostly)

Another gem of a post from dresden8...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

Terry wrote: »
    See, the thing is that you believe that what worked for you will work for everyone else.
    That's just not the case.

Totally agree Terry. But what is the alternative for people who are giving up hope. I am only giving an option to people who are becoming depressed (losing hope) in the Irish environment.

I do know is that while climate can lead to forms of depression (the aptly named SAD for example), it is not the be all and end all of causes.

I believe that SAD may be (unknowingly) the crux of the problem to many. Realizing that a sizable portion of people in Ireland couldn't care less if it is rainy and dark, there is a certain percentage who will be affected by it. Sunshine invigorates them, and of course there are the health benefits (reduction in certain cancers common in Ireland) in the "managed" natural absorption of Vitamin D from the Sun.

Just remember that not everyone has the same goals that you have and that depression is not exclusively linked to poverty.

Never said that it was linked to poverty. I am only suggesting an 'out' to people because I saw too well at home the alternative that they choosing. And obviously, people with clinical depression or bipolar disorders need more focused attention, irrespective of where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Another gem of a post from dresden8...

Why thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Papad wrote: »
    The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with.
    Forgot about the immigrants, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think now with unemployment so big the typical day for Hundreds of thousands involves:

7:00am Turn over in bed for more sleeping.
    1:00pm Wake up no brekfast/dinner.
    1.10pm Go to Lidl for food and lots of beer.
    1.40pm Cook whatever food you got at Lidl
    1.45pm Listen and ring Joe duffy to complain.
    3.00pm Start Drinking after listening to Joe Duffy and everyones problems
    4.30pm Watch Murder she wrote on RTE 1( its good today)
    5.30pm Go for walk half cut and watch as people who have jobs go home.
    6.30pm Look on internet for Jobs(no luck)
    8.00pm Watch fair city and open 10th can of day.
    10.00pm Drunk wish could afford to go to pub.
    12.00am Watch Play Tv on TV3 and moan about it.
    4.00am Have a burger and go to bed.

yeah sure we all just sit around drinking allday.

Not one of us are trying to better are selves in any way what so ever...:rolleyes:

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Forgot about the immigrants, huh?

I found the influx of immigrants to be a welcome sight in Ireland ..... fresh faces, different outlook, cultural diversity, etc.

Why thank you.

You're welcome. Any more ignorant musings for us today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Keep it civil or you will be missing out on everyone's musings for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cjbh

Napoli wrote: »
    Typical day in life of an Irish citizen:

6:30am: Wake up & breakfast
    7:00am: Commute to Dublin from your regional village with no facilities. You're lucky if you get a seat on the overcrowded train
    9:00am Arrive to work after making it past countless Roma beggars
    1:00pm Deli roll for lunch €5. Spend 30mins in queue
    2:00pm Back to your shítty job which you despise
    5:00pm Join the other slaves in the evening rush home. The train is 30mins delayed
    7:00pm Microwave your ready-made Centra dinner
    8:00pm Sit down to watch TV but RTE shows nothing but shíte. Katherine Lynch's Wonderwomen is on. Ugh.
    9:00pm Sit in a depressing dark pub. €5 for a pint. Bouncer hassles you over "dress code"
    11:30pm Get in a bottle in the face by a scumbag on way home

I'll take Miami anyday thanks.

Nobody forces anyone to live like this though. I have no sympathy for anyone whose life is like this. Anybody who sacrificed their quality of life so they could have a house in Ashbourne while commuting to Dublin every day, that was their choice. Anybody who works in a job they hate, that is their choice to do so, recession or not. Anybody who watches RTE and moans about it, that is their choice, there are so many other channels these days.

There is too much victim mentality in my opinion. People who are not happy with their lot can make changes if they stop being so passive about their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cjbh

Papad wrote: »
    So I was over in PI and noticed a number of threads from people who were giving up their will to live, and this distressed me somewhat. The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with. The typical responses (with the best intentions) to these people were to talk to the Samaritans, engage in a social activity etc.

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland. This is not an Ireland bashing thread, but sometimes the country can really wear you down, especially the weather. Now some people love living in Ireland, and fair play to you, I'm delighted that it's working out for you, but for the other people who are depressed because of the current environment, the best thing to do is to leave. I did.

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning. Social activities are abundant because most are dictated by the weather. Here's a little anecdote from last night: Was hanging out by the fountain in an open mall and decided to get a coffee and went into the bookstore and ordered a small latte. I grabbed a few magazines and was reading them for a few minutes when a girl came over with a giant latte and a pastry for free, because she thought I was waiting too long. Smiled and thought to myself: this wouldn't happen at home.

I'm not saying that's bad advice or anything. But if you were genuinely depressed, it's hard enough to find the motivation to get out of bed in the morning, let alone plan a whole new life in a foreign country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

cjbh wrote: »
    Nobody forces anyone to live like this though. I have no sympathy for anyone whose life is like this. Anybody who sacrificed their quality of life so they could have a house in Ashbourne while commuting to Dublin every day, that was their choice. Anybody who works in a job they hate, that is their choice to do so, recession or not. Anybody who watches RTE and moans about it, that is their choice, there are so many other channels these days.

There is too much victim mentality in my opinion. People who are not happy with their lot can make changes if they stop being so passive about their lives.

I agree I don't think id allow myself to look that miserable ever!

cjbh wrote: »

To me life is not that simple, my partner has been looking for work months and can't find anything. You would want to get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

phasers wrote: »
    I hate sunny weather, rain and the cold.

What hope is there for me? :(

Crack?

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    To me life is not that simple, my partner has been looking for work months and can't find anything. You would want to get real.

But his point is that no one is forcing him to sit around watching TV all day. It is possible to fill your days with things to do, that don't cost money. Making sure you don't get caught in a rut is crucial and takes discipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SolAxis

You could dress up as a Heron (oven mitts on your hands with feathers stuck to them and that sort of thing) and stalk around Dublin attacking folk with a dopamine surplus or those currently employed. Ought to make you feel better.

OP has the right idea though - actively doing things to get yourself out of a hole, even if you feel like a cold and emotionless husk while doing them, is the way forward. If you repeat good behaviour and habits enough, they become a natural part of you as opposed to a forced action.

As for unemployment...well, it's a **** buzz. I'm in the same boat myself since I got back from travelling. I'm stone broke and am lacking a sense of purpose or fulfillment, although I don't usually think about it except during the ad breaks on daytime programmes whose names I can't even remember. I've tried to Upskill, get out and about, study a completely new area, not drink too much etc and the difference in my mental state in such a short period is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Push out the hate, pull in the love.

Push out the hate, pull in the love.
    Is it just me or is it unbelievable that every second fncker is depressed or "bi-polar", the new must have fashion accessory.

Indeed...

Although many people with bipolar disorder who attempt suicide never actually complete it, the annual average suicide rate in males and females with diagnosed bipolar disorder (0.4%) is 10 to more than 20 times that in the general population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder#Mortality

A simple read of a Wikipedia article could have saved you from your ignorance.

ATTN: The mods:

Ignorance:

Ignorance is the state in which one lacks knowledge, is unaware of something or chooses to subjectively ignore information. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I would believe that some people who have been professionally diagnosed with clinical depression are helped by a change in scenery. Whether it's because of vit D deficiency or SAD or a situationally based depression or bad diet or social isolation etc, a move elsewhere does help those people.

I can think of two in my life that it did help. Major change and these two examples were pretty screwed up by this terrible affliction(one made a damn good attempt at suicide). They both moved to warmer climes, established good lives and new relationships there and both came off their medication(under medical supervision) within the first year of the move. Neither has relapsed many years later and they both have had the normal stresses and triggers that may have severely impacted them before.

So yes I do agree that for some and I emphasise some people with diagnosed depression the situational change does work. It's not for everyone with the condition though. Not by a long shot. IMHO it would be a minority.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

I can think of two in my life that it did help. Major change and these two examples were pretty screwed up by this terrible affliction(one made a damn good attempt at suicide). They both moved to warmer climes, established good lives and new relationships there and both came off their medication(under medical supervision) within the first year of the move.

This reflects the point I'm making. While I understand that it does not work for everyone, but if someone is depressed and believe that there is no hope for them, then at least this option will be exactly that: an option.

Advertisement