Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed People

Options
  • 23-08-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

So I was over in PI and noticed a number of threads from people who were giving up their will to live, and this distressed me somewhat. The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with. The typical responses (with the best intentions) to these people were to talk to the Samaritans, engage in a social activity etc.

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland. This is not an Ireland bashing thread, but sometimes the country can really wear you down, especially the weather. Now some people love living in Ireland, and fair play to you, I'm delighted that it's working out for you, but for the other people who are depressed because of the current environment, the best thing to do is to leave. I did.

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning. Social activities are abundant because most are dictated by the weather. Here's a little anecdote from last night: Was hanging out by the fountain in an open mall and decided to get a coffee and went into the bookstore and ordered a small latte. I grabbed a few magazines and was reading them for a few minutes when a girl came over with a giant latte and a pastry for free, because she thought I was waiting too long. Smiled and thought to myself: this wouldn't happen at home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

did you get her number?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Or how about we round up all the depressed people and put them in a county all to their own. Birds of a feather flock together, they'll love it. I vote we use Cavan. Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

geeeess I feel depressed now but your right a sunny morning is a great tonic, good for you getting out if only it was so easy,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

if you suffer from manic depression, leaving the country doesnt solve the problem. You cant run away from your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

snyper wrote: »
    if you suffer from manic depression, leaving the country doesnt solve the problem. You cant run away from your own head.

But you can run away from the cause, mainly the depression caused by trying to make a living in this ****ed up run country.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hate sunny weather, rain and the cold.

What hope is there for me? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

:D

well, not everyone can just leave, but i see your point.
    i know few people who moved out to spain to live because of gloomy weather here.

alot of people in ireland drink too much or take drugs ..both of which destroys your mental health.

i believe once you take away drink/drugs, most people would be fine..so long as you've got good health, roof over your head, food.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Usain Bolt probably could.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Futurism wrote: »
    Usain Bolt probably could.
    Or The Flash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Is it just me or is it unbelievable that every second fncker is depressed or "bi-polar", the new must have fashion accessory.

Every tosser who has a bad day in now depressed.

Not to detract from serious illnesses in those who actually have it, but jeez, bi-polar me hole. (Mostly)

• Advertisement

'Depression' is also a good way to avoid appearing in court over a debt.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I dunno, the crappy economy doesn't stop at Irish borders. Getting a job abroad is not easy at the moment. I think a lof of Irish people are financially tied to this country now. Anyone who owns their house cant sell it, so moving abroad is not really an option.

That said, I'd love to say "Fcuk everything" and just jump ship for a year or two. Sipping lattes on a sunny terrrace sounds like heaven...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,185 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Elessar wrote: »
    Or how about we round up all the depressed people and put them in a county all to their own. Birds of a feather flock together, they'll love it. I vote we use Cavan. Win win.
    *cough* *cough* *sakjbfaviugxcjbvjbasUlster;oisfhiv;snbv;gs*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I took your advice, I'm lost in Mexico. I have no money left, these people are scary they've already stole my pants and shoes. What do I do?!! They keep talking at me but I don't speak any Mexican. I have no money to pay for this internet time and these people have guns. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Interesting take on it, and its one that people often talk about. I think the weather is probably the biggest factor in people being depressed. I know there are various sub-plots involved ranging from marriage issues to relationship troubles. But the weather compounds these personal problems. There's nothing worse than getting up to a dreary dark wet morning. Its no coincidence that countries like Sweden, Finland and Estonia where there are long dark winters, have among the highest suicide rates in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Here here. It gets on my f*cking tits how misunderstood depression is.

People still appear to believe there is some sort of choice involved.

If it were a choice, then no-one would have depression!

It's stopped raining here, i feel better already.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Crappy weather can be everywhere... but we get a lot more than most in europe.

Problem with moving away is that people have a lot behind them, they still have friends, they might have a job or family, they might be tied down to loans or have a girlfriend that is not willing to make the move. Some would be homesick.

I thought about moving to newzeland, but I am not sure if I can make that move, have too much here in Ireland. I think I would end up homesick after a few weeks anyway :P

Definately thinking of moving to Belgium, what a country. People don't rip you off, recreation is cheap, the weather is great, their infrastructure is, in my opinion, a hundred times better than ours, it's just a better run and nicer country. Only problem is the language barrier, which I am working on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 claddy

grenache wrote: »
    Its no coincidence that countries like Sweden, Finland and Estonia where there are long dark winters, have among the highest suicide rates in the country.
    When did Ireland conquer Sweden, Finland and Estonia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Trí wrote: »
    Here here. It gets on my f*cking tits how misunderstood depression is.

People still appear to believe there is some sort of choice involved.

If it were a choice, then no-one would have depression!

Thing with depression is, in some cases, you are better off in a certain situation. If you are jobless, you might become depressed, getting a job can solve that. Same goes for relationships, money, loans and location. The weather can also trigger depression (forget that type though) so moving to somewhere sunny can help.

There are choices that a person can make which will help with their depression a LOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

So if your depressed and suicidal, just move to a hot country, i suppose it makes scene, nobody is depressed or there's never any suicide in hot countries:rolleyes:

If your suicidal you have bigger problems than the weather. And if you're contemplating suicide because of the recessions, its means you were greedy during the bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

claddy wrote: »

Last night when you were in the bed.

Our secret weapon, NAMA will buy the countries up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

well we taught the English a thing or too for invading, payback time for those bloody vikings I say, 1200 years we've been waiting, time enough .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

I love long dark winters,especially icey cold winter mornings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Papad wrote: »
    So I was over in PI to and noticed a number of threads from people who were giving up their will to live, and this distressed me somewhat. The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with. The typical responses (with the best intentions) to these people were to talk to the Samaritans, engage in a social activity etc.

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland. This is not an Ireland bashing thread, but sometimes the country can really wear you down, especially the weather. Now some people love living in Ireland, and fair play to you, I'm delighted that it's working out for you, but for the other people who are depressed because of the current environment, the best thing to do is to leave. I did.

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning. Social activities are abundant because most are dictated by the weather. Here's a little anecdote from last night: Was hanging out by the fountain in an open mall and decided to get a coffee and went into the bookstore and ordered a small latte. I grabbed a few magazines and was reading them for a few minutes when a girl came over with a giant latte and a pastry for free, because she thought I was waiting too long. Smiled and thought to myself: this wouldn't happen at home.

This made me smile a little bit :) Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

I'm in a hot country at the moment, three months in fact and I'm still depressed. Its not the weather...I think most people just need new direction and new goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Senna wrote: »
    So if your depressed and suicidal, just move to a hot country, i suppose it makes scene, nobody is depressed or there's never any suicide in hot countries:rolleyes:

If your suicidal you have bigger problems than the weather. And if you're contemplating suicide because of the recessions, its means you were greedy during the bubble.

Or more likely that the boss was too greedy during the bubble, and that his business has gone down the crapper as a result, leaving some very depressed unemployed people behind.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mega man wrote: »
    I'm in a hot country at the moment, three months in fact and I'm still depressed. Its not the weather...I think most people just need new direction and new goals.

You should buy a compass and a new football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

mega man wrote: »

The only goals left in this country are trying to figure out which ATM machine is worth robbing because it's impossible to make money here anymore and the bit you save is eaten up by taxes. I decided to move recently and it was the best decision I ever made, I was sick to death of this place in every respect.

Advertisement