Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed People

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Papad wrote: »
    I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland.

+1. Damn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Senna wrote: »
    So if your depressed and suicidal, just move to a hot country, i suppose it makes scene, nobody is depressed or there's never any suicide in hot countries:rolleyes:

If your suicidal you have bigger problems than the weather. And if you're contemplating suicide because of the recessions, its means you were greedy during the bubble.

What a stupid thoughtless post.

If you are depressed because of the recession, it means you were greedy... how the hell do you make that one out? I guess you didn't get good marks in your English exams, did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You should buy a compass and a new football.

and maybe some new friends

• Registered Users Posts: 45,333 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

mega man wrote: »
    and maybe some new friends

You can do that in Buy and Sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

So if your depressed and suicidal, just move to a hot country, i suppose it makes scene, nobody is depressed or there's never any suicide in hot countries:rolleyes:

If your suicidal you have bigger problems than the weather. And if you're contemplating suicide because of the recessions, its means you were greedy during the bubble.

where did you read there are no suicides in hot countries surely this is not true

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great topic O.P i myself will be leaving Ireland for good in a week, never to brigten these shores again except on holidays, ive lived outside Ireland a lot of time but i returned 3 years ago and wish i hadnt, anyway whats done is done and im now off for good, cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

fintonie wrote: »
    where did you read there are no suicides in hot countries surely this is not true

There are no suicides relating to cold/ wet weather in hot countries, there may however be possible suicides related to the heat though.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

Great topic O.P i myself will be leaving Ireland for good in a week, never to brigten these shores again except on holidays, ive lived outside Ireland a lot of time but i returned 3 years ago and wish i hadnt, anyway whats done is done and im now off for good, cant wait.

take care. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dresden8 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it unbelievable that every second fncker is depressed or "bi-polar"
    No, it's not just you. There is a lot of ignorance out there, and a lot of people are as misinformed as you and similarly don't have a clue. :)
    the new must have fashion accessory.
    Oh I'm sure your fellow experts were calling it the "new" fashion accessory in the 80s too.
    Every tosser who has a bad day in now depressed.
    Really? Intriguing. Care to back that up?
    Not to detract from serious illnesses in those who actually have it
    But you've done it anyway. ;)
    but jeez, bi-polar me hole. (Mostly)
    I'm assuming you don't know what bipolar disorder is? Tip: go find out.

Seriously, I'd say there might be the odd person who is feeling pissed off with life and reckons they are ill with depression, but many people genuinely are ill with it - and what do they need? Some genius ranting about how a lot of people just say they have depression as a fashion accessory.

Also, anyone who says moving away will help you has obviously no familiarity with this illness whatsoever. Sorry, I know the intentions are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Originally Posted by Papad
    I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland.

Agreed. Its not just the weather, its the whole Irish mentality it completely wears you down. Obviously the OP isn't suggesting this as a solution to serious depression/mental illness but for those of us feeling a bit down with how things are going lately its exactly the right solution. I moved to London earlier this summer and have never looked back. Weather is a bit better (30 degrees today :D) more job opportunities (took me just one week to find a job vs 3 months in Dublin before giving up) and just generally there's a better attitude and its not even that far away. Just basically to realise that you're not stuck, there are other options and maybe a bit of time away until all this is over is what's needed.

• Advertisement

I always taught bipolar was a fear of the north and south pole regions which left you depressed are you saying this is not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

fintonie wrote: »
    I always taught bipolar was a fear of the north and south pole regions which left you depressed are you saying this is not true

be serious.
    it's fear of gay polar bears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

snyper wrote: »
    if you suffer from manic depression, leaving the country doesnt solve the problem. You cant run away from your own head.

Yeah, that's true. Environment never has an effect on your mental health.

C'mon, in some cases of course it will help to get out of a ****ty country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

boogle wrote: »
    I dunno, the crappy economy doesn't stop at Irish borders. Getting a job abroad is not easy at the moment. I think a lof of Irish people are financially tied to this country now. Anyone who owns their house cant sell it, so moving abroad is not really an option.

So guess who is still paying off a mortgage back home in Ireland and can't sell the house. Yesirreeebob, me. But I couldn't let it be the determining factor of whether to stay or not. I haven't loads of money, but I have enough to pay rent here and the mortgage at home. But here's the trick: move to a place with a reasonable cost of living. This wouldn't be possible if I moved to New York or LA and the costs associated with places like that. After much research, I found my slice of Heaven in the American South. Paying rent of about 370 Euros, with a balcony overlooking the lake (and all the facilities: pool, walking trails, free business center, fitness center etc.).

Now I know that not everyone can just upshot and move to the American South, but you are legally entitled to move to sunnier places in Europe. And don't forget the lottery visas that are available each year for the States. By the way, there's a difference between moving to a place that is hot, and fairly warm .......... I would recommend the latter.

And the fact that a depressed person might actually start thinking and planning a move from Ireland is a suitable distraction to their problems. Some people say that problems follow people; I say that a fresh start is better than no start at all.
    ScumLord wrote:
    I took your advice, I'm lost in Mexico. I have no money left, these people are scary they've already stole my pants and shoes. What do I do?!! They keep talking at me but I don't speak any Mexican. I have no money to pay for this internet time and these people have guns.

Herein lies your problem: They haven't a clue what you're talking about. They speak Spanish there.

wudangclan wrote: »
    be serious.
    it's fear of gay polar bears!

No it's the fear of bi polar bears

Martyr wrote: »
    i believe once you take away drink/drugs, most people would be fine..so long as you've got good health, roof over your head, food.. ;)
    This implies having all those positives in life like you've mentioned will deem a person immune to depression - so, so not true.
    Thing with depression is, in some cases, you are better off in a certain situation. If you are jobless, you might become depressed, getting a job can solve that. Same goes for relationships, money, loans and location. The weather can also trigger depression (forget that type though) so moving to somewhere sunny can help.

There are choices that a person can make which will help with their depression a LOT.
    Agreed. I was depressed when I was unemployed - getting a job was the only cure I needed. But there are some people who just have a depressive illness - and their circumstances don't make any difference either way. There are different types of depression.
    And if you're contemplating suicide because of the recessions, its means you were greedy during the bubble.
    Does it? So if a person was made redundant simply because the company was closing down, it means they were "greedy"? Seriously, I thought people had moved on from this sh1t of "every recession casualty did it to themselves".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

claddy wrote: »
    When did Ireland conquer Sweden, Finland and Estonia?
    I think you knew i ment 'in the world'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Dudess wrote:
    This implies having all those positives in life like you've mentioned will deem a person immune to depression - so, so not true.

Not true for everyone, no.
    But for a majority? What's the cause?

I've seen many people break down because of alcohol and drugs and I know it has never helped anyone "cope" with stress or unhappiness in their lives,never has and never will.

The vast majority of these people I knew were fit and healthy.
    They weren't starving, they weren't homeless...imo they should be thankful for those things, yet could never appreciate that.

It was more important to worry about fivolous issues.. not having a social life or relationship problems with their boyfriend/girlfriend ..just some stupid drama.

ah sure, hit the pub and everything will be grand.

"poor me" "pour me another" ;)

there must be a name for it but I dont know if it exists,

for me I dont remember the hurt or pain I cause myself,

its only when I go through a certain episode I think I will never let this happen again but I do,

its like the memory blocks the episode that caused the pain, I dont remember much of my past life so the depression keeps returning,

for longer stints every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning.
    I live here and love the rain, dark days, cold weather in this great country. The rest of ye can f-off to Australia of some other overrated place. The only thing I dislike about Ireland is people like you who moan on and on about the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Dudess wrote: »
    No, it's not just you. There is a lot of ignorance out there, and a lot of people are as misinformed as you and similarly don't have a clue. :)

Oh I'm sure your fellow experts were calling it the "new" fashion accessory in the 80s too.

Really? Intriguing. Care to back that up?

But you've done it anyway. ;)

I'm assuming you don't know what bipolar disorder is? Tip: go find out.

Seriously, I'd say there might be the odd person who is feeling pissed off with life and reckons they are ill with depression, but many people genuinely are ill with it - and what do they need? Some genius ranting about how a lot of people just say they have depression as a fashion accessory.

Also, anyone who says moving away will help you has obviously no familiarity with this illness whatsoever. Sorry, I know the intentions are good.

Leave me alone you're sending me into a depression spiral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

If leaving Ireland could cure your mental illness than you werent likely ill in the first place.

Not true for everyone, no.
    But for a majority? What's the cause?

I've seen many people break down because of alcohol and drugs and I know it has never helped anyone "cope" with stress or unhappiness in their lives,never has and never will.

The vast majority of these people I knew were fit and healthy.
    They weren't starving, they weren't homeless...imo they should be thankful for those things, yet could never appreciate that.

It was more important to worry about fivolous issues.. not having a social life or relationship problems with their boyfriend/girlfriend ..just some stupid drama.

ah sure, hit the pub and everything will be grand.

"poor me" "pour me another" ;)
    Going by that post, you appear to think people who have depression should just cheer up and appreciate what they have... or that they bring depression on themselves by worrying about trivial stuff. You clearly haven't the faintest clue what depression is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Typical day in life of an Irish citizen:

6:30am: Wake up & breakfast
    7:00am: Commute to Dublin from your regional village with no facilities. You're lucky if you get a seat on the overcrowded train
    9:00am Arrive to work after making it past countless Roma beggars
    1:00pm Deli roll for lunch €5. Spend 30mins in queue
    2:00pm Back to your shítty job which you despise
    5:00pm Join the other slaves in the evening rush home. The train is 30mins delayed
    7:00pm Microwave your ready-made Centra dinner
    8:00pm Sit down to watch TV but RTE shows nothing but shíte. Katherine Lynch's Wonderwomen is on. Ugh.
    9:00pm Sit in a depressing dark pub. €5 for a pint. Bouncer hassles you over "dress code"
    11:30pm Get in a bottle in the face by a scumbag on way home

I'll take Miami anyday thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Dudess wrote:
    Going by that post, you appear to think people who have depression should just cheer up and appreciate what they have... or that they bring depression on themselves by worrying about trivial stuff. You clearly haven't the faintest clue what depression is.

Get over yourself, Dudess
    You're probably the exact type of person I just described in my post, just love moaning about nothing at all, dribbling all over yourself down the pub about how tough your life is.

Get over yourself, Dudess
    You're probably the exact type of person I just described in my post, just love moaning about nothing at all, dribbling all over yourself down the pub about how tough your life is.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

So I was over in PI and noticed a number of threads from people who were giving up their will to live, and this distressed me somewhat. The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with. The typical responses (with the best intentions) to these people were to talk to the Samaritans, engage in a social activity etc.

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland. This is not an Ireland bashing thread, but sometimes the country can really wear you down, especially the weather. Now some people love living in Ireland, and fair play to you, I'm delighted that it's working out for you, but for the other people who are depressed because of the current environment, the best thing to do is to leave. I did.

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning. Social activities are abundant because most are dictated by the weather. Here's a little anecdote from last night: Was hanging out by the fountain in an open mall and decided to get a coffee and went into the bookstore and ordered a small latte. I grabbed a few magazines and was reading them for a few minutes when a girl came over with a giant latte and a pastry for free, because she thought I was waiting too long. Smiled and thought to myself: this wouldn't happen at home.

Living in any country to long makes me depressed, I am not happy if I stay in one place to long, the point where I start to get depressed again seems to be between 6-18 months. I hate staying in one place to long, always brings me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i think a huge problem here is misuse and overuse of the term "depression".

so many people use it to describe an array of feelings:

"the weather is depressing me"
    "i'm depressed over the match result"
    "depressed cause i cant get a bf/gf"

etc etc etc ad nauseum

people use it to mean sad/fed up/pissed off/annoyed/bored/frustrated/lonely etc etc etc

"depression" has crept into the common parlance, and therefore this has led to huge misunderstanding about what clinical depression actually is, and is not.

imo, this does a huge disservice to those who are actually clinically depressed, as people dont take it seriously.

when people use hyperbole and say things like "i had a heart attack when i heard..." or "i had a stroke when i saw.." or "the match gave me heart failure" noone actually thinks that person really had a heart attack/stroke/heart failure, yet they seem to take "im depressed" at face value and think it's actual depression.

thats why you get people who think depressed people just need to cop on/pull themselves together/get drunk/make friends/move country

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

So I was over in PI and noticed a number of threads from people who were giving up their will to live, and this distressed me somewhat. The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with. The typical responses (with the best intentions) to these people were to talk to the Samaritans, engage in a social activity etc.

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland. This is not an Ireland bashing thread, but sometimes the country can really wear you down, especially the weather. Now some people love living in Ireland, and fair play to you, I'm delighted that it's working out for you, but for the other people who are depressed because of the current environment, the best thing to do is to leave. I did.

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning. Social activities are abundant because most are dictated by the weather. Here's a little anecdote from last night: Was hanging out by the fountain in an open mall and decided to get a coffee and went into the bookstore and ordered a small latte. I grabbed a few magazines and was reading them for a few minutes when a girl came over with a giant latte and a pastry for free, because she thought I was waiting too long. Smiled and thought to myself: this wouldn't happen at home.

where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Napoli wrote: »
    Typical day in life of an Irish citizen:

6:30am: Wake up & breakfast
    7:00am: Commute to Dublin from your regional village with no facilities. You're lucky if you get a seat on the overcrowded train
    9:00am Arrive to work after making it past countless Roma beggars
    1:00pm Deli roll for lunch €5. Spend 30mins in queue
    2:00pm Back to your shítty job which you despise
    5:00pm Join the other slaves in the evening rush home. The train is 30mins delayed
    7:00pm Microwave your ready-made Centra dinner
    8:00pm Sit down to watch TV but RTE shows nothing but shíte. Katherine Lynch's Wonderwomen is on. Ugh.
    9:00pm Sit in a depressing dark pub. €5 for a pint. Bouncer hassles you over "dress code"
    11:30pm Get in a bottle in the face by a scumbag on way home

I'll take Miami anyday thanks.

I think now with unemployment so big the typical day for Hundreds of thousands involves:

7:00am Turn over in bed for more sleeping.
    1:00pm Wake up no brekfast/dinner.
    1.10pm Go to Lidl for food and lots of beer.
    1.40pm Cook whatever food you got at Lidl
    1.45pm Listen and ring Joe duffy to complain.
    3.00pm Start Drinking after listening to Joe Duffy and everyones problems
    4.30pm Watch Murder she wrote on RTE 1( its good today)
    5.30pm Go for walk half cut and watch as people who have jobs go home.
    6.30pm Look on internet for Jobs(no luck)
    8.00pm Watch fair city and open 10th can of day.
    10.00pm Drunk wish could afford to go to pub.
    12.00am Watch Play Tv on TV3 and moan about it.
    4.00am Have a burger and go to bed.

Advertisement