Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed People

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Martyr - Banned for 7 days and infracted. Reason Personal attack on another poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

where are you?

He already said he is now living in the Southern states of the USA ("the American South"). Please read the thread sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

I think now with unemployment so big the typical day for Hundreds of thousands involves:

7:00am Turn over in bed for more sleeping.
    1:00pm Wake up no brekfast/dinner.
    1.10pm Go to Lidl for food and lots of beer.
    1.40pm Cook whatever food you got at Lidl
    1.45pm Listen and ring Joe duffy to complain.
    3.00pm Start Drinking after listening to Joe Duffy and everyones problems
    4.30pm Watch Murder she wrote on RTE 1( its good today)
    5.30pm Go for walk half cut and watch as people who have jobs go home.
    6.30pm Look on internet for Jobs(no luck)
    8.00pm Watch fair city and open 10th can of day.
    10.00pm Drunk wish could afford to go to pub.
    12.00am Watch Play Tv on TV3 and moan about it.
    4.00am Have a burger and go to bed.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

sam34 wrote: »
    i think a huge problem here is misuse and overuse of the term "depression".

so many people use it to describe an array of feelings:

"the weather is depressing me"
    "i'm depressed over the match result"
    "depressed cause i cant get a bf/gf"

etc etc etc ad nauseum

people use it to mean sad/fed up/pissed off/annoyed/bored/frustrated/lonely etc etc etc

"depression" has crept into the common parlance, and therefore this has led to huge misunderstanding about what clinical depression actually is, and is not.

imo, this does a huge disservice to those who are actually clinically depressed, as people dont take it seriously.

when people use hyperbole and say things like "i had a heart attack when i heard..." or "i had a stroke when i saw.." or "the match gave me heart failure" noone actually thinks that person really had a heart attack/stroke/heart failure, yet they seem to take "im depressed" at face value and think it's actual depression.

thats why you get people who think depressed people just need to cop on/pull themselves together/get drunk/make friends/move country
    Agreed. Depression is not a great name for the illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yeah, that's true. Environment never has an effect on your mental health.

C'mon, in some cases of course it will help to get out of a ****ty country.

WTF are you talking about? Environments do have a serious effect on your mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

the more I read this thread the less depressed I feel mmmmmmmmm maybe the 2 bottles of wine have something to do with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

galwayrush wrote: »
    But you can run away from the cause, mainly the depression caused by trying to make a living in this ****ed up run country.;)
    I completely disagree with this. I think if somebody is depressed about living in Ireland they would probably be using Ireland as an excuse to justify how they are feeling. I think Snyper is right. And I'm not posting in favour or against living in Ireland, although personally I think Ireland is a pretty good place to live compared to a lot of other countries (I'm in Argentina right now as I post this).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

etc etc etc ad nauseum

people use it to mean sad/fed up/pissed off/annoyed/bored/frustrated/lonely etc etc etc

"depression" has crept into the common parlance, and therefore this has led to huge misunderstanding about what clinical depression actually is, and is not.

imo, this does a huge disservice to those who are actually clinically depressed, as people dont take it seriously.

when people use hyperbole and say things like "i had a heart attack when i heard..." or "i had a stroke when i saw.." or "the match gave me heart failure" noone actually thinks that person really had a heart attack/stroke/heart failure, yet they seem to take "im depressed" at face value and think it's actual depression.

thats why you get people who think depressed people just need to cop on/pull themselves together/get drunk/make friends/move country

That's what I said and he gets thanked by Dudess?

Inarticulateness is a symptom of my condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

The weather can really have a bad affect on peoples mood. This is the third summer in a row where july and aug have been washouts.

We all wait for a good summer but it rarely comes.

dresden8 wrote: »

Inarticulateness is a symptom of my condition.
    Doesn't look like what you said at all. Sam34 was saying the word "depression" leads to the condition being misunderstood because people throw that word around so casually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Tony Danza wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this. I think if somebody is depressed about living in Ireland they would probably be using Ireland as an excuse to justify how they are feeling. I think Snyper is right. And I'm not posting in favour or against living in Ireland, although personally I think Ireland is a pretty good place to live compared to a lot of other countries (I'm in Argentina right now as I post this).

My post was tongue in cheek.;)

I think its our mind set, what chance have we with drink and drugs, its nothing to do with the recession, depression has been around for a long time,

I would say when times get really hard depression is not on the scene because we are all helping each other to get through it.

I just saw this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_index
    <sarcasm>Wow yeah, Ireland is really shít place to live alright.</sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

dresden8 wrote: »

i'm a she :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dudess wrote: »
    Agreed. Depression is not a great name for the illness.

+1 ive said it beforehere on boards many times.

Purely because of the name people think its an emotion, and emotions come and go. and everyoe has felt depressed so they feel they know it.

I best describe the feeling as grief.. think if your mom, dad, sister, son etc were all killed at once, try imagine the grief? Thats exactly what depression is, and what makes it worse is you know (well i do) that nothing in your life has changed to make you feel this way and you just simply get tired fighting it. Its ignorant comments like "Jaysus cheer up, we all get down" that boils my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

I just saw this:

You're kidding right? And you know it's from 2005, when we were all rolling around (in the rain) with our Celtic Tiger money. I would love to see a new survey though. Don't think that our Community Life, Job Security or Climate is better than Switzerland or Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tarbuck

I just saw this:

Happiness doesn't seem to be one of the metrics on that survey? Perhaps it should. For example I'm sure a lot of people are very happy the day they get divorced so just because a country has a low rate doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

snyper wrote: »

Purely because of the name people think its an emotion, and emotions come and go. and everyoe has felt depressed so they feel they know it.

I best describe the feeling as grief.. think if your mom, dad, sister, son etc were all killed at once, try imagine the grief? Thats exactly what depression is, and what makes it worse is you know (well i do) that nothing in your life has changed to make you feel this way and you just simply get tired fighting it. Its ignorant comments like "Jaysus cheer up, we all get down" that boils my blood.

cheers MON AMI you feel it you have experienced it and you have fought through it respect to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Elessar wrote: »
    Or how about we round up all the depressed people and put them in a county all to their own. Birds of a feather flock together, they'll love it. I vote we use Cavan. Win win.

did they not do that already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This Thread is Despressing me..................UGH.

• Advertisement

tarbuck wrote: »
    Happiness doesn't seem to be one of the metrics on that survey? Perhaps it should. For example I'm sure a lot of people are very happy the day they get divorced so just because a country has a low rate doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.
    I'm not saying Ireland is the number 1 place to live. But my point in posting that (even if it was 2005) is that people are too busy looking at what they don't have and not what they do have. Sure Ireland has problems, what country doesn't. But to say that Ireland is completely shít, which many people do is ridiculous. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. And everybody's moaning about the weather. Sure I don't like the weather, I would like to have normal seasons, where the summer was sunny, but the weather is outside of everybodys control. And if I have to work inside in an office for most of the week the weather outside doesn't really impact me. Again, I'm trying to be objective here. I just think to say Ireland is shít and makes people depressed is a crazy thing to say.

snyper wrote: »

That's the thing: misinformed people think it's just a "mood" but it's an illness. A crap mood is only one symptom of it. Again though, I've no doubt much of that is because of the misleading name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

i'm a she :)

Now I'm further depressed at my lack of gender recognition.

did they not do that already?

fcuk me I love the people who laff at the situation which makes it tough to mix with society,

its der its real and it takes lives,

smile all you want you dont know what is down the road for you I hope you never enter the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

etc etc etc ad nauseum

Do you think that everyday experience that the average person calls depression is fundamentally the same but less severe phenomenon ? Like a spectrum of depression/mood disorder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Do you think that everyday experience that the average person calls depression is fundamentally the same but less severe phenomenon ? Like a spectrum of depression/mood disorder?

no, to be honest.

there are such things as normal sadness, normal bad mood, normal pissed-off-ness that are not, and should not be, on any illness spectrum, imo.

some people have an expectation that they should be deleriously happy 100%of the time, and that anything less than that means there's something wrong.
    these are the very people caliming to be "depressed" and propagating some of the myths and misinformation out there about depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/sweden_suicide.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Hi there mate. I feel compelled to reply to this as it directly relates to me and my experience. It may help some people.

Two years ago, I lived in Dublin and had done the prior 20 years of my life. I was severely depressed and suicidal. Not a happy bunny. I suppose there are many various factors, most having to do with Ireland itself. I am not bashing Ireland so please don't turn your noses! It is just a fact that Ireland really got me down and had nothing to offer me. Everyone seemed apathetic and my friends never seemed to want to do anything active and positive, just work all week and get pissed on weekends, they had not the spirit. Food was ****, and I had lots of family issues.

I got as much money as possible and left the country, because I probably would have killed myself otherwise. I did probably a very typical thing (but none the less better for my personal being) and I went to Australia, and I am having THE TIME OF MY LIFE. PERIOD.

The natural surroundings, great weather, cheery and spiritual people made me heal myself from all the pain and I am a new man. Organic food is cheap here, so is clean good water! In Dublin I could only live on chips and bread, body killing stuff. I am living here permanently now and have started the business of my dreams making thousands every week (not a word of a lie), playing music with various bands.

Stop settling for less. Life is for living.

Love,

D
    Papad wrote: »
    So I was over in PI and noticed a number of threads from people who were giving up their will to live, and this distressed me somewhat. The gloomy economic news, crime, lack of friends, non-existent social life, and the crappy Irish weather are all factors that compound the issues that already emotional fragile people have to deal with. The typical responses (with the best intentions) to these people were to talk to the Samaritans, engage in a social activity etc.

I want to suggest something different. Get as much money together as possible and leave Ireland. This is not an Ireland bashing thread, but sometimes the country can really wear you down, especially the weather. Now some people love living in Ireland, and fair play to you, I'm delighted that it's working out for you, but for the other people who are depressed because of the current environment, the best thing to do is to leave. I did.

I now live in a warm climate, where it's a joy to wake up on a sunny morning. Social activities are abundant because most are dictated by the weather. Here's a little anecdote from last night: Was hanging out by the fountain in an open mall and decided to get a coffee and went into the bookstore and ordered a small latte. I grabbed a few magazines and was reading them for a few minutes when a girl came over with a giant latte and a pastry for free, because she thought I was waiting too long. Smiled and thought to myself: this wouldn't happen at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭bakkiesbotha

Definately thinking of moving to Belgium, what a country. People don't rip you off, recreation is cheap, the weather is great, their infrastructure is, in my opinion, a hundred times better than ours, it's just a better run and nicer country. Only problem is the language barrier, which I am working on :)

Eh... No it's not. It's worse than here. And get ready for Stalinist levels of bureaucracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Papad wrote: »
    You're kidding right? And you know it's from 2005, when we were all rolling around (in the rain) with our Celtic Tiger money. I would love to see a new survey though. Don't think that our Community Life, Job Security or Climate is better than Switzerland or Australia.
    See, the thing is that you believe that what worked for you will work for everyone else.
    That's just not the case.

I suffer from depression, but I'm quite happy to live in Ireland.
    I know that moving elsewhere will not cure my depression because it's caused by a chemical imbalance in my brain.

Maybe you lived in a crappy area or something. Maybe you're just the type of person who believes the grass is always greener on the other side.
    I don't know.
    What I do know is that while climate can lead to forms of depression (the aptly named SAD for example), it is not the be all and end all of causes.

As for the link above, I think you are mistaking it for a chart on wealth.
    Quality of life and wealth are not exclusive.
    I'm not rich, but I don't struggle either. I have enough money to live a comfortable enough life and that is what the chart indicates.
    Yes, people may be struggling at the moment, but the EU will bail us out again and all will be well until the greedy bankers and corrupt politicians rise again.

Just remember that not everyone has the same goals that you have and that depression is not exclusively linked to poverty.
    So Glad wrote: »
    Hi there mate. I feel compelled to reply to this as it directly relates to me and my experience. It may help some people.

Two years ago, I lived in Dublin and had done the prior 20 years of my life. I was severely depressed and suicidal. Not a happy bunny. I suppose there are many various factors, most having to do with Ireland itself. I am not bashing Ireland so please don't turn your noses! It is just a fact that Ireland really got me down and had nothing to offer me. Everyone seemed apathetic and my friends never seemed to want to do anything active and positive, just work all week and get pissed on weekends, they had not the spirit. Food was ****, and I had lots of family issues.

I got as much money as possible and left the country, because I probably would have killed myself otherwise. I did probably a very typical thing (but none the less better for my personal being) and I went to Australia, and I am having THE TIME OF MY LIFE. PERIOD.

The natural surroundings, great weather, cheery and spiritual people made me heal myself from all the pain and I am a new man. Organic food is cheap here, so is clean good water! In Dublin I could only live on chips and bread, body killing stuff. I am living here permanently now and have started the business of my dreams making thousands every week (not a word of a lie), playing music with various bands.

Stop settling for less. Life is for living.

Love,

D
    Good for you.
    Now stay away from David Icke. He's not really sane.

Advertisement