Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part of Dublin to Belfast rail line collapses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Dose anyone have any idea where loco 186 is?

It's in Inchicore at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

sdonn wrote: »
    Well it can stay on the main road. If it all cuts through my estate people will be hurling eggs (no joke) , it's bad enough as it is - you cant move during term time on Yellow Walls Road, a lot of Estuary Road or Swords-Malahide Road.
    Not only we will all be cutting through your estate but we will be stopping off at Angelos for chips too.
    sdonn wrote: »
    Driving to Malahide station from Donabate, Balbriggan etc is not the answer nor will it turn out to be what the majority will do. Most will just drive - something the M1 can just about take if they get those roadworks finished before school starts. The N1 down through Drumcondra will be an absolute and utter nightmare for the forseeable future though.
    I doubt many people will continue to drive on as where are they going to park? City center parking for 3 months would dent the pocket, thats without considering petrol. There is only so much free parking in the city centre and it's already always full.

Whitehall Church and Omni are going to become giant park and ride facilities, not that they aren't used for this purpose already.

I suppose the M1 lane widening at the M50 will be fast tracked now to get it up and running in the next couple of week. Will it what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hungerford wrote: »
    It's in Inchicore at the moment.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Well, I wont be using a train in this country ever again until IE can provide me with some evidence that the whole network is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

Some more pictures from Coast Guard

http://www.facebook.com/howthcoastguard

• Advertisement

I wonder would it be more efficient to built a brand new viaduct on the Donabate side of the estuary where the rail line currently sits on the man made causeway. With this method they would work within the confines of the existing causeway in a dry environment. When complete they would remove the remainder of the causeway to allow water to flow from the tide to the estuary and visa versa. They could then create a causeway under the old viaduct which looks like it's all going to have to be replaced anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

There is a Dublin Bus service from Balbriggan which takes in Skerries, Rush and Lusk before heading into Dublin city. If you live in Donabate, however, the Dublin Bus service only brings you into Swords. It will be interesting to see what type of service is put in place to cater for Donabate commuters.

Donabate users will get the DART from Malahide. Irish Rail today unveiled their transport system to get across the estuary, I believe weekly tickets are available.

Early indications are that it will be a big success.

cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Donabate users will get the DART from Malahide. Irish Rail today unveiled their transport system to get across the estuary, I believe weekly tickets are available.

Early indications are that it will be a big success.

cat.jpg

I can see it taking off all right. Passenger numbers should soar..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 opensourceguy

I happened to be down with my kids watching a crab fisherman when the fisherman pointed to what had happened only moments before. I took some photos and then found some photos I'd taken in October 2008 which shows how it appeared before. I've published these on my blog:

http://www.opensourcemechanic.com/blog/?p=25

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

so what would have happened if this hadn't been spotted by the driver?

assume the next Enterprise went over it at 70 or 80 kms per hour.

Would the train have jack-knifed into the estuary? Would people trapped in carriages in the water be able to get out?

How many fatalities - 50 or 60 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Iarnród Éireann are working with Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann to provide enhanced services on existing routes serving the communities affected. Dublin Bus will enhance the No 33 routes serving the Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush & Lusk and Donabate areas, including use of the Dublin Port Tunnel. Details of these services, and service arrangements for customers between Dundalk and Gormanstown, will be confirmed as soon as possible.

In addition, a rail service will operate between Dundalk/Drogheda and Skerries.

For the duration of the disruption, Belfast Enterprise services will operate with train services between Belfast and Drogheda, and with bus transfers between Drogheda and Connolly, with resulting delays.

DART services between Malahide and Howth Junction are operating normally.

Due to the severe damage to the viaduct, we regret to inform customers that the line across the estuary will not reopen for at least three months, with resulting disruption continuing.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.

so you fingallians have some kinda plan, unless they come up with a bus eirean service from bettystown that doesnt take the old road in and is the same price as the train im stuck paying 250 quid a month on the matthews bus. Either that or matthews should introduce student fares, they are gonna clean up around this area, Id say about 500 people get the train in in the mornings and thats very conservative guess. The rush hour buses are already nearly at capacity and the run every half hour. So yeah matthews are gonna be very happy with the booming business.

Would the train have jack-knifed into the estuary? Would people trapped in carriages in the water be able to get out?

Anyone who tells you what would have happened is guessing.

There would have been a accident of some extent. Best not to dramatise things by speculating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

The maintenance of the trains south of the collapse should not be a major problem. IE will prob do what British Rail did when the Ness bridge collapsed in 1988, cutting of the lines North of Inverness.
    For example a 201 loco North of the collapse would undergo fueling/basic servicing in Belfast and then be swapped with a fresh loco from Dublin by low-loader when more major maintenance is due.
    BR had 4 or 5 low-loaders transfering locos, coaches and units by road on a regular basis for the 9 or so months it took to rebuild the bridge.

I doubt that lack of inspection is to blame as the foundations being washed away could only really be spotted by a diver.

Also the driver was right to carry on to Malahide as what if the whole embankment was washed away with the train still on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Few pics, thmubnails below so you can zoom right in at your leisure. I will get in much closer this evening, lots of IÉ staff on the embankment so I didn't want to risk climbing on top of it as some of the eiretrains folk have done in the past.

dscf4145.jpg

dscf4145.th.jpg
    dscf4146d.th.jpg
    dscf4147.th.jpg
    dscf4148e.th.jpg
    dscf4149x.th.jpg
    dscf4150.th.jpg
    dscf4151.th.jpg
    dscf4152.th.jpg
    dscf4153.th.jpg
    dscf4154h.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

dubscottie wrote: »
    I doubt that lack of inspection is to blame as the foundations being washed away could only really be spotted by a diver.
    It's an estuary. The bridge is completely dry at certain times dependent on the tides. Take a look at this pic posted earlier in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

SeanW wrote: »
    I was just thinking, would the Tara Mines and Irish Cement works be able to send their stuff by rail from Drogheda to a port in Northern Ireland?
    No, I wouldn't say so. They even had to tow the Maedbh to Belfast with enough empty wagons between her and the powered loco so as the two would not be on the Drogheda viaduct at the same time - no way the bridge would take a Tara Mines train, savage heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Yes its frightening, although if Richard Harris happened to be on the train - he would have saved the last few carriages...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

brownacid wrote: »
    Iarnród Éireann are working with Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann to provide enhanced services on existing routes serving the communities affected. Dublin Bus will enhance the No 33 routes serving the Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush & Lusk and Donabate areas, including use of the Dublin Port Tunnel. Details of these services, and service arrangements for customers between Dundalk and Gormanstown, will be confirmed as soon as possible.

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever as a plan. Every bus will be filled to capacity shortly after it starts its route, leaving people in Rush/Lusk etc. free to view lots of full buses passing by.

Why not send 10 buses per hour to each of the affected stations, and then have them go directly to Connolly or Tara Street? No point whatsoever in continuing to follow the 33 route.

PS - Anyone want to car share from Skerries? I'm looking for a ride and will pay my portion of all costs. City drop off point flexible (Pearse?). PM if you can help me out. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Rather than "enhancing" the 33 service, surely it would make more sense to provide buses directly from affected stations direct to the city centre; eg from Drogheda/Balbriggan/Skerries etc. from the towns via the M1 and port tunnel to the IFSC and back again, since the vast majority of commuters are going to Connolly/Tara/Pearse Stations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I haven't heard any mention of Dublin Bus/Bus Eireann honouring train tickets, especially the annual rail tickets. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭sk8board

Absurdum wrote: »
    Rather than "enhancing" the 33 service, surely it would make more sense to provide buses directly from affected stations direct to the city centre; eg from Drogheda/Balbriggan/Skerries etc. from the towns via the M1 and port tunnel to the IFSC and back again, since the vast majority of commuters are going to Connolly/Tara/Pearse Stations.

I agree.

It won't be as possible to do this suggestion in the mornings from the towns, but in the evening they need to do it like it was a nite link; just line them up around the corner and bring round another one soon as the previous one is full (i.e.e about every 2 minutes)

looking forward to the M1 tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

sk8board wrote: »
    I agree.

It won't be as possible to do this suggestion in the mornings from the towns, but in the evening they need to do it like it was a nite link; just line them up around the corner and bring round another one soon as the previous one is full (i.e.e about every 2 minutes)

looking forward to the M1 tomorrow

true, they better be working flat out to arrange it; there's absolutely no point in packed 33's trundling through Skerries, Rush and Lusk full of people who just want to get into town

The Port Tunnel better be utilised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

SMK wrote: »
    I haven't heard any mention of Dublin Bus/Bus Eireann honouring train tickets, especially the annual rail tickets. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks
    I'm sure all will be revealed when they make a full statement on the travel arrangements for the next 3 months! I live in Lusk and I fear that there'll be a lot of full buses going past me if it's not structured properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

update on Irish rail website and than fcuk it looks like they are going to use the port tunnel

quote from http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=500

"Iarnród Éireann are working with Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann to provide enhanced services on existing routes serving the communities affected. Dublin Bus will enhance the No 33 routes serving the Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush & Lusk and Donabate areas, including use of the Dublin Port Tunnel. Details of these services, and service arrangements for customers between Dundalk and Gormanstown, will be confirmed as soon as possible.

In addition, a rail service will operate between Dundalk/Drogheda and Skerries.

For the duration of the disruption, Belfast Enterprise services will operate with train services between Belfast and Drogheda, and with bus transfers between Drogheda and Connolly, with resulting delays.

DART services between Malahide and Howth Junction are operating normally.

Due to the severe damage to the viaduct, we regret to inform customers that the line across the estuary will not reopen for at least three months, with resulting disruption continuing.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused."

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Just want to add that I crossed the estuary around 17.15 and all seemed normal. Its a miracle it was spotted with the amount of traffic on the line at that time of day. Thank God there wasn't an accident.

This is going to be a nightmare for commuters in particular those going to Lansdowne Rd/Grand Canal. City Centre passengers won't be AS badly affected but there will be trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Let's not lose the run of ourselves here. A close shave but once the collapse happened the track circuits would have been broken - I think - and that would have brought all trains to a standstill. Why not wait for the official inquiry before anymore speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The rails looked intact therefore I don't think the Track Circuits would have been broken.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

All the photos I've seen have shown an intact but bending track panel over the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That doesn't mean some of the circuits didn't go although looking at the pics it seems unlikely.

As for speculation, no harm I say, what else is a forum for? The pure concrete fact is that this could have been carnage. What really makes me laugh is that there were 6 or 7 IÉ lads in orange jackets on the bridge earlier - looking at the damage. What's to say the rest of the bridge was safe if that bit can collapse?

Advertisement