Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part of Dublin to Belfast rail line collapses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

musicfan wrote: »
    I am also curious to see what options will be available to Drogheda commuters. Bus Eireann say they are putting on extra services but the express service comes from Dundalk, so that will probably be full by the time it gets to Drogheda and the bus station in Drogheda could not cope with the crowds from the train station - car park in the bus station is smaller.

They need to either have a supply of buses at teh train station that will except monthly/annual commuter tickets that will bring us to Malahide Dart Station or into the City Centre or else run the train to Skerries and have buses to bring us to malahide to continue our journey. Same on the way back.....

Either way its going to make our journeys much longer each day and I am not looking forward to the next 3 months at least . I wonder what time today IR will have their plan in place?

I don't want a refund on my annual ticket - I'd just rater use it on the alternative transport I have to use. Otherwise, I'm going to be paying at least double my transport costs for the next few months.

I agree. I think they should start services from Drogheda station car park. Actually they said Enterprise service will drop people off at Drogheda and coach transfer from there. I would like to know how they can limit that just to the Enterprise passengers..!

Not sure if taking passengers to Skerries is a good idea. Connecting to the dart line is probably more useful, imho.

I can't start to think of the horrors of coming back in Bus - around this time last year I was stuck in a bus for nearly 3 hours due to an accident in N1 somewhere..! Nightmare..!

Also, didn't hear anyone mentioning this - Would Bus Eireann and/or Mathews Coaches honor Irish Rail monthly/annual tickets for the duration of the disruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭JDxtra

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JDxtra wrote: »
    Aerial photo after the collapse here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8023558@N06/3846394062/
    That design is rather disturbing - lose one element of the bridge and everything is ready to fall - disproportionate collapse.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=sx8ng2ggmgwc&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29498491&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Note the amount of material that has been scoured at the bridge and built up into a semi-submerged bank 150-300m east.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Sorry - just watched the clip again here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0821/9news.html

and it was not two weeks and it was not the 'shell shocked' Barry that said it. It was several weeks and attributed to an IE spokesman at the end of the piece. The point remains the same - several weeks....three months....mid 2010? A bit like the opening of the WRC in 'Summer' 2009.
    I wonder if the viaduct collapse is going to put back the projected start of the new timetable on Sept.27th?

I think the new timetable was knocked on the head two weeks ago

All services from Dundalk and Drogheda will run as normal, any passengers at Dundalk for Dublin will get off at Drogheda where busses will run direct to Connolly station via the port tunnel any passengers to skerries or any station prior to skerries will stay on the train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I assume that there buses running from the train station are only tying in with the enterprise time table so first bus in the morning at 8:20. Any ideas what time this would reach bus arass? Im guessing around 10:00...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Victor wrote: »
    That design is rather disturbing - lose one element of the bridge and everything is ready to fall - disproportionate collapse.

Note the amount of material that has been scoured at the bridge and built up into a semi-submerged bank 150-300m east.

Daily passenger across this bridge.
    I look out the window as often as I could to take in the views (when I could actually see a window on a packed morning train). I have noticed the water current flowing underneath (between the arches) low & high tides and became familiar with the fact that there always appeared to be a stronger current around the point that has now collapsed.
    Could this be that over time, the flow of water weakened the underwater "dam", therefore, weakening the foundations to the bridge supports.
    I suspect it was the high tides that contributed to this and the earlier North bound train narrowly missed this collapse as the driver of the South bound train the noticed it whilst passing over it.

There are claims that there was an inspection carried out on Tuesday 18th August 2009.
    Did the inspection also take into account the foundations of these supports (the dam)?

I would hazzard a guess at saying "NO".
    I suspect the inspection was only "structual" by way of what was visable.

Bottom line is, bridge is down.
    Now, can someone fix or replace it please, and quickly..
    Please don't let the investigation delay the repair or replacement.

There are other bridges spanning a greater distance that have stood longer and carried greater loads.

Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lister1 wrote: »
    I assume that there buses running from the train station are only tying in with the enterprise time table so first bus in the morning at 8:20. Any ideas what time this would reach bus arass? Im guessing around 10:00...

Assuming it operates express via the Port Tunnel, I would hope for earlier, but who know what the chaos will be like tomorrow.
    jayflame wrote: »
    Bottom line is, bridge is down. Now, can someone fix or replace it please, and quickly.. Please don't let the investigation delay the repair or replacement.
    And if the repair it and it falls again?

An investigation is important, so as to prevent history repeating itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd imagine M1 traffic will be back to at least Courtlough if not the Naul road Balbriggan junction. It backs to Lissenhall normally from the M50.

My few suggestions to quickly improve the traffic.
    Get the M1S to M50W part of the junction opened asap and finish up the works between the airport junction and J3 of the M50

Consider using some of the long term carpark in Dublin Airport as P&R to the city - get this running for Sept after summer holiday demand dies back. DAA are using Block C for medium term parking as it is and it's usually only half full.

Put a buslane in on the R132 all along the Dual Carriageway section towards Swords. Then busses can use this to get to the Airport and onto the M1 towards DPT quickly

Put a buslane on the M1 from south of the estuary viaduct.

Make the hard shoulder an aux lane from the junction to/from Holywell. this will reduce weaving and smooth traffic flow.

IE to put in a crossover/signalling near Donabate and start running services to there. There are 2 roads into/out of the main carpark in Donabate, busses may be able to use these to come in and out of the station to head citybound. some carparking spaces might be lost but I doubt there's much demand for them at the minute....

The govt to get their finger out and manage the situation quickly. Schools are back in a week or fortnight. decisions need to be made this coming week.

Lister1 wrote: »

No for all trains

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Barry Kenny said the incident was very serious and could have resulted in widespread tragedy were it not for a quick-thinking train driver.

The driver noticed signs of subsidence on the track as he was crossing at around 6.25pm.

He immediately stopped the train in Malahide and alerted Irish Rail which suspended all services on the northern line.

"He was extremely observant and he immediately raised the alert," he said, noting that the railway control centre also received a red alert on its computer system as the bridge collapsed.

from what?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/packed-train-seconds-from-disaster-in-bridge-collapse-1866930.html

second hand eye wtiness
    Meanwhile, long-time Malahide resident Joan McAllister, whose kitchen on Upper Strand overlooks the estuary, said her husband glanced out the window and saw two of the viaducts arches give way and collapse into the sea.

"Both tracks are gone. There are cables sticking out of the bridge and two of the arches have fallen into the water," she said. Despite the mayhem, some people in the area didn't even notice what was going on, she added. "There were people sailing on sailboards who didn't even notice," she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sounds like something you'd read in the independent or Herald.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Part of the automatic signals to detect trains I would think, if the rail-line is damaged the signal will be broken and they would be able to tell something is up from that.

Just taking a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

I see from the IR website (can't get link to work) that they are running buses from Drogheda Train Station every half hour in the morning direct to Connolly station from 6am and then buses from Connolly direct back to Drogheda.

Are they only going to have one bus leaving at each half hour or will they have a supply of buses and leaving whenever they fill up?

These buses are for people from Dundalk, Gormanston and Laytown as well (they have to get teh train to Drogheda) and will accept train tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is there any valid reason for not running all trains as far as Skerries and then shuttling people to the ohter side onto trans from Malahide? track layouts/signalling could be changed in a week or so to allow this I would imagine. It would require fewer buses.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

murphaph wrote: »
    Is there any valid reason for not running all trains as far as Skerries and then shuttling people to the ohter side onto trans from Malahide? track layouts/signalling could be changed in a week or so to allow this I would imagine. It would require fewer buses.
    There'd be nowhere near enough capacity. Currently, it's standing room only after Portmarnock generally (especially when schools are back) and it's full shortly after that in rush hour. It could not cope with all the Northern line commuters, especially when there's a train only every twenty minutes in the rush hour period.

Part of the automatic signals to detect trains I would think, if the rail-line is damaged the signal will be broken and they would be able to tell something is up from that.

Just taking a guess.

people were suggesting above that wouldn't have gone off?

be interesting to know when it did,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

I'm keeping an eye on situation but if anyone gets any information regarding ppl who would use laytown train station post it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

ronano wrote: »
    I'm keeping an eye on situation but if anyone gets any information regarding ppl who would use laytown train station post it up.

People from Laytown are to get the limited rail service to Drogheda to pick up a bus that they are running direct to Connolly. Have a look at the IR website for links to the timetables. Likewise on the way back, bus from Connolly to Drogheda and train to laytown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

I see from the IR website (can't get link to work) that they are running buses from Drogheda Train Station every half hour in the morning direct to Connolly station from 6am and then buses from Connolly direct back to Drogheda.

Are they only going to have one bus leaving at each half hour or will they have a supply of buses and leaving whenever they fill up?

I am wondering the same. If they just one bus every half hour, there will be a lot of disappointed commuters between 7:00 and 8:30. One morning I actually counted the number of people getting on 7:18am service (I missed the 6:58 and was sitting in 7:18 and had a view to people coming down the bridge to Platform2) and I lost count around 120 people. Even if some of them might decide to drive in, can you imagine what would be situation if they have just one coach at 7:30? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OisinDunne

People from Laytown are to get the limited rail service to Drogheda to pick up a bus that they are running direct to Connolly. Have a look at the IR website for links to the timetables. Likewise on the way back, bus from Connolly to Drogheda and train to laytown.

Leave Laytown - 6:45
    Arrive Drogheda - 6:52

Scramble on to 7am bus.
    Arrive Dublin :confused: Let's say 8am
    Transfer to Dart for onward journey to Grand Canal Dock - 8:30
    15 minute walk to office - 8:45

Work for 8ish hours....Leave @ 17:00
    With a quick walk, back to Connolly for 17:30 bus back to Drogheda
    Once again, 1 hour travel :confused: ....back in Drogheda @ 18:30

Train back to Laytown....not till 19:30
    Back in Laytown @ 19:36

Compared to leaving on 7:05 train and home on 16:45 ex Pearse

This, even for Ireland, is NOT funny. :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd imagine M1 traffic will be back to at least Courtlough if not the Naul road Balbriggan junction. It backs to Lissenhall normally from the M50.

My few suggestions to quickly improve the traffic.
    Get the M1S to M50W part of the junction opened asap and finish up the works between the airport junction and J3 of the M50

Consider using some of the long term carpark in Dublin Airport as P&R to the city - get this running for Sept after summer holiday demand dies back. DAA are using Block C for medium term parking as it is and it's usually only half full.

Put a buslane in on the R132 all along the Dual Carriageway section towards Swords. Then busses can use this to get to the Airport and onto the M1 towards DPT quickly

Put a buslane on the M1 from south of the estuary viaduct.

Make the hard shoulder an aux lane from the junction to/from Holywell. this will reduce weaving and smooth traffic flow.

IE to put in a crossover/signalling near Donabate and start running services to there. There are 2 roads into/out of the main carpark in Donabate, busses may be able to use these to come in and out of the station to head citybound. some carparking spaces might be lost but I doubt there's much demand for them at the minute....

The govt to get their finger out and manage the situation quickly. Schools are back in a week or fortnight. decisions need to be made this coming week.

They are still on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OisinDunne

From http://www.irishrail.ie/contact_us/contact_ne_service_delays.asp

Customer Service Section for Northern and Eastern Routes
    Welcome to the Customer Service Section for the Northern and Eastern Division.
    Serious Service Delay
    If you have experienced a serious delay while traveling on our services you may be entitled to a Discount Voucher.
    Passengers delayed between one and two hours are entitled to a 50% refund on the affected leg of the journey.

Passengers delayed by over two hours are entitled to a full refund on the affected leg of the journey.

:D

In order for us to process your Discount Application your ticket(s) for this journey on-line is required.
    We aim to process Refund Applications within 15 working days of receipt of application. Occasionally, when serious disruptions occur, we are sometimes unable to meet our response targets. Please bear with us; we will always process your Application as quickly as we can.
    In order for us to process your Discount Application please print out the Discount Application Form in PDF format (PDF File) and return the completed form by post together with your ticket(s) for this journey to:
    Customer Relations Department
    Northern and Eastern
    Iarnród Éireann
    Connolly Station
    Amien Street
    Dublin 1
    Telephone (01) 703 2601
    Fax (01) 703 4369

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I was on the North train from Pearse and travelled over the viaduct at 18.10, while going over the train dipped and rocked to the left....I consider myself lucky

Victor,
    You posted over on RUI that the marina area was dredged about 10 years ago. I find that very interesting and reckon it is certainly at least possible that the dredging has changed water flows in the area enough to start a chatastrophic scouring around the bridge pier(s). Do you have any more details on this dredging?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

batman2000 wrote: »
    I was on the North train from Pearse and travelled over the viaduct at 18.10, while going over the train dipped and rocked to the left....I consider myself lucky

Indeed you should batman2000. I can only echo my earlier sentiments and thank Christ that everyone on that train, and yourself of course, are ok. Must have been quite a scare when you found out what had happened.

batman2000 wrote: »
    Could you tell something serious was up or was it a little jolt? You're a lucky (bat)man indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Karsini wrote: »
    Yes but he also said the section around Portarlington uses axle counters, which would break the CAWS system on the Cork line. There is a blind spot at Limerick Junction but also a reduced speed limit as a result.

They've actually replaced sections of track circuiting with axle counters at Portarlington [see IRRS journal 164] and Portlaoise [IRRS journal 168], which adds that it is now IE policy to use axle counters instead of track circuits.

A number of track circuits at level crossings during the Rosslare line resignalling were also removed and replaced with counters.

The reason? They're cheaper to install and maintain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Are they less safer that track circuits?

Advertisement