Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

The most useful app I use is NewsRob, an rss reader that links in google reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wanted to drop a thanks to all the contributors, nearly filled the phones memory in getting nearly all the stuff mentioned here, great thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

For owners of any of Logitech's Squeezbox range there's a app to control the players called SqueezeControl.

Works brilliantly! I keep my duet controller downstairs in its cradle so this means I can control the system everywhere now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

lafors wrote: »
    For owners of any of Logitech's Squeezbox range there's a app to control the players called SqueezeControl.

Works brilliantly! I keep my duet controller downstairs in its cradle so this means I can control the system everywhere now :)

Aye dead handy.
    For those who like their toggles, SwitchPro Widget 1.6 is great. 7 button customisable widget.
    http://aleigood.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I downloaded the Real Player Beta today, I love the layout, miles better then the Xperia X10's shoddy Mediascape anyway.

• Advertisement

Picked up "Connectbot" and "Torrent FU" last night.

I do alot of remote access with my home servers and pcs and friends pcs etc.

Connectbot allows you to SSH all over the shop which is pretty nifty.

Torrent FU lets you access your utorrent remotely. Well handy and will try get it set on my home server asap. It seems straight to setup, but it does require alot of port forwarding and messing with ip addresses.

anyone know of a good remote desktop viewer?

I was using teamviewer on my ipod which was fantastic when in friends houses, looking for something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

TheDoc wrote: »
    anyone know of a good remote desktop viewer?

I was using teamviewer on my ipod which was fantastic when in friends houses, looking for something similar.

I've been using logmein ignition, its still in beta so its free for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

doubleTwist released a media player for Android yesterday. Works very nicely for both music and video, but it seems you need to use their desktop client for podcast syncing which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I've been using logmein ignition, its still in beta so its free for now.

Beta has finished, I missed out - really want this app as I use the desktop version a lot. How is it on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On the subject of RealPlayer etc anyone have any thoughts/suggestions with respect to the best media player app?

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote: »
    Beta has finished, I missed out - really want this app as I use the desktop version a lot. How is it on your phone?

Yeah its pretty good and does exactly what its supposed to do. Don't really use it a lot though. I only tried it over wifi, not sure how it would perform under 3G? I got it from a direct download on this thread on xda, just used HTC sync to install it. I presume it still works?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Baza210 wrote: »
    doubleTwist released a media player for Android yesterday. Works very nicely for both music and video, but it seems you need to use their desktop client for podcast syncing which is a shame.
    Been using this. Done very nicely I have to say especially for early days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Yeah its pretty good and does exactly what its supposed to do. Don't really use it a lot though. I only tried it over wifi, not sure how it would perform under 3G? I got it from a direct download on this thread on xda, just used HTC sync to install it. I presume it still works?

just tried it, the trial has expired. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

On the subject of RealPlayer etc anyone have any thoughts/suggestions with respect to the best media player app?

They all kind of suck right now, but there are murmurings that ZodTTD will make an Android version of VLC like he has done for the iPhone. Currently he's working on a PSX Emulator with yongzh.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Tried it this morning and uninstalled it within about 10 mins of downloading it. I use realplayer on my desktop as my main media player so I was intrigued by this android version but it's pretty crap. Very slow to load up and all the pictures are loaded up in a single folder, not in any grouping sense, no matter where they are on the SD card. The worst being that when you go to an artist and play an album the tracks are sorted in alpha-numerical order, not in the order that they're in on the album.:rolleyes:

Try it if you want but it's pretty poor.

I use realplayer on my desktop as my main media player

Really? You do know its widely regarded as one of the worst media players of all time.

Really? You do know its widely regarded as one of the worst media players of all time.
    Not to mention one of the finest pieces of bloat and IMO malware

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Yeh I know!:D I've been using it for years though and never saw any reason to change it. I've yet to see anything wrong with it, nor anything particularly brilliant about any other media player. Continuously amazes me though how most people are willing to talk crap about it despite not ever having used it. I think most people get annoyed with it because they fail to set it up properly and end up with a load of pop-ups and other such crap. Bashing realplayer was just one of those things that caught on and made the "cool kids" feel good about themselves.:cool:

Plus I was never really one to tag along with the crowd, for better or for worse??:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeh I know!:D I've been using it for years though and never saw any reason to change it. I've yet to see anything wrong with it, nor anything particularly brilliant about any other media player. Continuously amazes me though how most people are willing to talk crap about it despite not ever having used it. I think most people get annoyed with it because they fail to set it up properly and end up with a load of pop-ups and other such crap. Bashing realplayer was just one of those things that caught on and made the "cool kids" feel good about themselves.:cool:

Plus I was never really one to tag along with the crowd, for better or for worse??:o

Eh didn't they get got stealing users info ?

Try VLC. its awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

In regards to Real Player on Android, it works very well on my Xperia X10, I'm not sure what it's like on the HTC devices though. The reason I like it is because it opens instantly and seems very organised, unlike SE's custom media application Mediascape which is probably the worst media application I have ever seen, it has to be seen to be believed!

Btw I am waiting patiently for Nullsoft/AOL to bring out an Android version of Winamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Does anyone use the last.fm app? I can't seem to find it on the android market :confused:

And if anyone does use it, how much data per hour or whatever does it use?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Whats the best games people have? Im tapped out on apps, now I need games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Cianos wrote: »
    Does anyone use the last.fm app? I can't seem to find it on the android market :confused:

Thanks

I got it using a UK sim. Its free.

Data usage is pretty decent.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Whats the best games people have? Im tapped out on apps, now I need games.
    Drop 7 is stupidly addictive (playing now actually)
    Big fan of Super Tumble aswell

Didnt want to start a new thread for an app so thought I'd throw it here

Foursquare

Good few of my mates use this and it can be useful but mostly just a habit of fun. You essentially check in to locations so friends can see where you are.

I was wondering does anyone use it?

I've no idea how to about setting my current location specifically, for something not recognised in their database. My job for example, isnt an option to select, so wondering is there a way to manually insert new locations( there has to be)

Just cant find a way to do it ;)

Cianos wrote: »

Thanks

Cant help but notice this guys thing was skipped? ( i think)

Seems like you'llsee this lsited with Pandora with pretty much every top 10 android app list.

I know Pandora is no longer available, but I can not find last.fm on the market, and their website seems to only offer a desktop download.

Also anyone with experience in its data usage, would be tremendous

Cant help but notice this guys thing was skipped? ( i think)

Seems like you'llsee this lsited with Pandora with pretty much every top 10 android app list.

I know Pandora is no longer available, but I can not find last.fm on the market, and their website seems to only offer a desktop download.

Also anyone with experience in its data usage, would be tremendous

I've been using it for a few days now.
    No idea how much data its using. I've been scrobbling haven't been streaming yet. I'll run a test for you now and let you know.

lafors wrote: »
    I've been using it for a few days now.
    No idea how much data its using. I've been scrobbling haven't been streaming yet. I'll run a test for you now and let you know.

did you get it from the market

did you get it from the market

Nope. Downloaded it directly on the phone.
    File was called....
    fm.last.android.1.5.5.apk
    came from a site called csmarshal.com iirc

Having a problem streaming over 3G here in work, reception is sh*t at my desk at times. Working perfectly over wifi. I'll try the 3G again in a few mins.

• Advertisement

OK, so 7 mins of streaming via 3G used up just under 3mb.
    Thats a lot!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement