Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Raoul wrote: »
    Pintail doesn't work for me. Just sends me back saying that it cant find my location.:mad:

Arrrgh sorry to hear that. Just tried mine and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Is there an app that will let me set WiFi to come on and data to turn off at specific times and vice-versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

ergonomics wrote: »
    Is there an app that will let me set WiFi to come on and data to turn off at specific times and vice-versa?

Tasker can do that. In fact, it can do a lot of stuff.

JuiceDefender may also allow you to do it, not too sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ergonomics wrote: »

TBH I leave Wifi on now, it doesn't seem to have much effect on battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Anyone know of a good app that gives updated oil prices or even weekly graphs on the prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'm looking for a navigation app with built in maps, to use outside of network connections. It needs to accept coordinates in the form N 00° 00.000 W 000° 00.000, I've tried Navfree but I was short on memory and couldn't install it.(wanted 412mb internal memory or something mad like that). I've tried CoPilot but it is only supports to 2 decimal places rather than 3 so it is not accurate enough for my purposes. Is there any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Not really new app related but I have downloaded an app for podcasts (Doggcatcher) and I want to set it up to download the off the ball podcast from Newstalk every night but can't seem to find the right rss feed address. Anyone any idea what it is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 meleady26

Otacon wrote: »
    JuiceDefender may also allow you to do it, not too sure though.

Is it worth getting the paid version of JuiceDefender?..like how much more battery will it save for me than the free one?

meleady26 wrote: »
    Is it worth getting the paid version of JuiceDefender?..like how much more battery will it save for me than the free one?

The paid version simply gives you more options AFAIK. It may slightly improve the battery saving of the free version, but only from using these extra options.

I am new to Android and i cannot seem to find games that are on the internet. Are we region blocked when it comes to games ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭cullenswood

s_carnage wrote: »
    Not really new app related but I have downloaded an app for podcasts (Doggcatcher) and I want to set it up to download the off the ball podcast from Newstalk every night but can't seem to find the right rss feed address. Anyone any idea what it is??

try this.

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast_xml.php?id=8621

I am new to Android and i cannot seem to find games that are on the internet. Are we region blocked when it comes to games ?

Do you mean online Flash games or games to install on the phone?

The latter are here -

https://market.android.com/apps/GAME

Do you mean online Flash games or games to install on the phone?

The latter are here -

https://market.android.com/apps/GAME

What i mean is specific games ...................

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/16/32-best-new-android-games-from-the-last-2-weeks-6211-61611/#x-men-by-konami

I wanted to get some games that i had on the iphone but i cannot find them in the android market yet they are on the internet .

What i mean is specific games ...................

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/16/32-best-new-android-games-from-the-last-2-weeks-6211-61611/#x-men-by-konami

I wanted to get some games that i had on the iphone but i cannot find them in the android market yet they are on the internet .

What phone? Some won't be available to you on the market if you're below the minimum spec. HTC Wildfire for example has a screen resolution lower than specified by some game developers.

What phone? Some won't be available to you on the market if you're below the minimum spec. HTC Wildfire for example has a screen resolution lower than specified by some game developers.

I am a samsung galaxy s2 . Take the likes of the bruce lee game on the iphone. I loved that game. Its not on my android market place, but it is in the 02 store.

There is also Transformers G1 the Awakening , i find it through google but not in the android market place.

Xmen the arcade is on Android in the states but not in my market place.

I am new to Android as i am just moved from iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

the new update for google maps lets you enable the downloading of maps to your phone for offline usage, very handy for when 3g is expensive or not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

robz18 wrote: »
    the new update for google maps lets you enable the downloading of maps to your phone for offline usage, very handy for when 3g is expensive or not available.

How do you enable that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

How do you enable that?
    Menu> More> Labs and enable the download function.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looking for an app that monitors data packets (couldnt care less what the Wi-Fi traffic is), any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Dempsey wrote: »
    Looking for an app that monitors data packets (couldnt care less what the Wi-Fi traffic is), any suggestions?

I use this,great app.:)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

3G Watchdog is also a good one to use. You can set what your usage limit is for the month and can see how much you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I use 3G Watchdog too. very happy with it.

Using the 3g Watchdog Widget and I have the My Data Manager to look at where my data is being used most.

Only thing is that I'm on prepay and I have free texts to other mobiles and free mobile internet as long as I top up every 30 days by €30. Pity these apps dont monitor the days from your last top up then tell you how much credit you have burnt on data after the 30 day period, i.e. overall data usage, amount of credit it has used & rate of spending credit on data per hour/day/week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Using the 3g Watchdog Widget and I have the My Data Manager to look at where my data is being used most.

Only thing is that I'm on prepay and I have free texts to other mobiles and free mobile internet as long as I top up every 30 days by €30. Pity these apps dont monitor the days from your last top up then tell you how much credit you have burnt on data after the 30 day period, i.e. overall data usage, amount of credit it has used & rate of spending credit on data per hour/day/week.

That free internet is only a few hundred MBs. Fecking thing only lasts me a day or two.

seanybiker wrote: »
    That free internet is only a few hundred MBs. Fecking thing only lasts me a day or two.
    The Threshold is regularly reviewed against average customer usage and is currently set at 5,000 text messages and the free data allowance for this offer is 250 MB. Any usage over these amounts will be charged at standard rates on the Vodafone

A quick view of their T&C's and I found that. I should have known!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭rameire

anybody know a good earthquake app/
    i get emails from the usgs in work
    i have it on google earth at home
    now i want it on my phone.

any help

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    anybody know a good earthquake app/
    i get emails from the usgs in work
    i have it on google earth at home
    now i want it on my phone.

any help

For Athy?! :pac:

Try this: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.joshclemm.android.quake&feature=related_apps

BTW I haven't tried it myself, but it seems to have a high enough rating.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Pocket Penguins provides an intimate view into the California Academy of Science’s live African penguin exhibit.

Pocket Penguins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Pocket Penguins provides an intimate view into the California Academy of Science’s live African penguin exhibit.

Pocket Penguins

Lol that's actually class. Little legs on the nutters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the first i'd heard of it was when it had downloaded 1.5gb of maps over my mobile data connection on my desire HD.

i have always on data since i only ever use a few hundred mb per month and i've got 2gb to spare, but that really put me up to my limit (within about 30mb) last month and if i hadn't noticed and turned it off (thanks to 3G watchdog, another vote for that here too!), it would have gone well over. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement