Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

WealthyB wrote: »
    Are we talking about the same place? Drag down Notifications Bar, click the Profile icon (sorry I said gears icon in my last post), the notification bar then shows you tiles.

I don't see an edit button anywhere on that screen (see attached)

Little bit of details always help. No you can't edit those without a custom ROM.

You could try this app though

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.notificationToggle

Does anyone know of an app or a way i can get a widget that will show me my yahoo calendar on android on a Nexus 7 2013? I'm surprised to see little or no support for it in droid itself or on the play store.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Does anyone know of an app or a way i can get a widget that will show me my yahoo calendar on android on a Nexus 7 2013? I'm surprised to see little or no support for it in droid itself or on the play store.:confused:

Absolutely no idea if this works or not, but mentions syncing yahoo Calender, so maybe.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.daum.android.solcalendar

Absolutely no idea if this works or not, but mentions syncing yahoo Calender, so maybe.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.daum.android.solcalendar

Many thanks, will check it out this evening and post back. Looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Any good widgets out there for a month view calendar for home/lock screen?

I've just flashed CM 10.2 and learned the S Calendar month view which I treasure is native to touchwiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Vikings wrote: »

I've just flashed CM 10.2 and learned the S Calendar month view which I treasure is native to touchwiz.

Try business calendar, widgets are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Try solcalander, like it's clean look. Life their other app solmail too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

SteM wrote: »

Perfect. 4x4 widget for home screen with transparency slider, looks even better than what I had before. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Just seen this calender which is also quite nice: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anydo.cal

Perfect. 4x4 widget for home screen with transparency slider, looks even better than what I had before. :D

Not sure if you noticed but in settings you can set it to show public holidays by various countries. Handy if you use your phone for business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Looks nice alright, but there are 2 things that are a deal breaker for me. There's no week view that I can find, and there's no way to reduce the hours down in day view. I use acalander and you can set the days up so it only displays from say 7am to 9pm each day of you want, and that makes it cleaner looking.

I tried this out last night, nice calendar, supports yahoo, plenty of useful widgets, and fairly customisable to boot. Quite a clean, white looking interface, which is good, although maybe a little sparse looking.

Can anyone recommend a decent news reader/rss feed reader/aggregator?

I used to use pulse, but since linkedin bought it out i dont' like the format, and it seems to have trouble displaying tiles from the irish news sources like the indo etc. I also tried feedly but it's a bit flourescent and tabloid-ey for my liking.

Am using Zite at the moment which is good and has a nice interface, but it seems pretty random in some of the news it throws up, like pages from the US version of the irish times, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Try Flipboard or Currents

I tried this out last night, nice calendar, supports yahoo, plenty of useful widgets, and fairly customisable to boot. Quite a clean, white looking interface, which is good, although maybe a little sparse looking.

Can anyone recommend a decent news reader/rss feed reader/aggregator?

I used to use pulse, but since linkedin bought it out i dont' like the format, and it seems to have trouble displaying tiles from the irish news sources like the indo etc. I also tried feedly but it's a bit flourescent and tabloid-ey for my liking.

Am using Zite at the moment which is good and has a nice interface, but it seems pretty random in some of the news it throws up, like pages from the US version of the irish times, etc..

I really like the look of Solcalendar, and I'd definitely use it if it had the two features that I mentioned above. I'll keep it on my phone anyway, in case an update brings what I want. In the meantime, aCalender can "do" more what I want, but it's not as pretty to use and sharing events is nowhere near as easy as it is in Solcalendar.

I'd second Flipboard as a news collector.

Also, Feedly is good if you have specific RSS feeds that you're after, rather than categories.

Looks nice alright, but there are 2 things that are a deal breaker for me. There's no week view that I can find, and there's no way to reduce the hours down in day view. I use acalander and you can set the days up so it only displays from say 7am to 9pm each day of you want, and that makes it cleaner looking.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Not what Vikings was looking for and that's why I suggested it. I've used acalender in the past but think it looks ugly and don't need its level of functionality and that's why I settled on Solcalendar.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Not what Vikings was looking for and that's why I suggested it. I've used acalender in the past but think it looks ugly and don't need its level of functionality and that's why I settled on Solcalendar.

I agree with you on aCalendar, it does look a bit ugly. I think it was good visual design a couple of years back, but it needs a refresh.

I do like Solcalendar, so thanks for sharing it, I hadn't come across it before. It looks great in a lot of ways, and I like the visuals of adding a new entry and the option to share an event is great too. I'll hang onto it in the hope the developer adds in the 2 things that make aCalendar the best for me. (I've already emailed them to ask!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

O2 Charge to mobile for google play now available
    O2 has launched a new ‘charge to mobile’ service that lets smartphone owners buy apps from the Google Play store and have the charge sent to either their mobile bill or phone credit.

See here on siliconrepublic.com.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

corkie wrote: »
    O2 Charge to mobile for google play now available

See here on siliconrepublic.com.

Nice to see O2 jumping on board. Been paying for my google play music subscription and apps with my unused Three credit. Dead handy.

Probably one of the most appealing things about Android for me these days.

Speaking of calendars any cal calendar app came out a few days ago. Real beautiful calendar and widget to replace the stock samsung or google one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I actually migrated from spotify to google play music because of the 3 pre-paid credit option. Vodafone and other carriers but be wise to copy 3 and 02 (oh wait aren't those sort of the same now? )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Can the Charge to Mobile be done on Tesco Mobile?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Has anyone tried "Circle", if it gets used properly it could end up being a very handy app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Can the Charge to Mobile be done on Tesco Mobile?

No. O2 and Three only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Has anyone tried "Circle", if it gets used properly it could end up being a very handy app.

What's circle?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No, and the fact that I'm being spammed by notifications, Private messages, and SMS about it, makes me want to actively avoid it. Anything that spams at that level cannot be good in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Quazzie wrote: »
    No, and the fact that I'm being spammed by notifications, Private messages, and SMS about it, makes me want to actively avoid it. Anything that spams at that level cannot be good in my opinion.

Could not agree more! Got an SMS from someone yesterday asking me to join and they didn't even know they had sent it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Android 4.4.2 just got the prompt to update on nexus 7 (2012)

But it won't update! Does anyone no where the update file is stored on the device so I can try updating again.

Never mind got the link for the update from here!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Jernal wrote: »
    I actually migrated from spotify to google play music because of the 3 pre-paid credit option. Vodafone and other carriers but be wise to copy 3 and 02 (oh wait aren't those sort of the same now? )

Pre-paid credit option aside, which is the better of the two apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Spotify will only play on one device at a time. No good for a family.
    Google Music will play, I believe, on all authorised devices [10] simultaneously.

No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

RangeR wrote: »
    Spotify will only play on one device at a time. No good for a family.
    Google Music will play, I believe, on all authorised devices [10] simultaneously.

No brainer.

Can someone confirm this is correct? I recently signed up to Spotify Premium but would switch if up to 10 devices could be playing simultaneously. It would keep my kids happy!

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

BenThere wrote: »
    Can someone confirm this is correct? I recently signed up to Spotify Premium but would switch if up to 10 devices could be playing simultaneously. It would keep my kids happy!

Ben

I just checked. As soon as I clicked on a song on my laptop the music on my phone stopped. Message came up "Music paused. Your account is in use somewhere else".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement