Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Backgrounds HD is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

celebs or half naked women.

Nothing wrong with half naked women, actually there is now that I think of it. They're not naked.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shabaz50

Limbo its a really good game it was 4 euro something but its 89c now on ios

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Shabaz50 wrote: »
    Limbo its a really good game it was 4 euro something but its 89c now on ios

Making it a must have android game alright :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Now there's a challenge for a custom Rom! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Think that post was initially posted in Gaming Bargains. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Clamp alert. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antunnel.clampingsow

Could be good if enough people use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The team are still looking for android developers so I wouldn't hold out hope of seeing it any time soon on android, which is a shame as it would be perfect for tablet play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have had Zedge on my 3 android phones, one of the first apps i download

Its a fantastic app!

Hello android people.

I've just gotten my first droid, a Google nexus 7 tab, after making the jump from iOs as i was sick of it, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of apps for specific things that i can't seem to get my head around doing natively in android 3.3 jellybean.

I'm looking for:

• Something to beef up the Status bar drop-down notification and power toggles, add more on/off toggles for various functions, etc. I love this feature but it seems a little shy of options in the native OS
    • A good unified email inbox for managing several mail inboxes in one view, like in iOs. The native "email" app doesn't seem to want to show me all my mail accounts (including multiple gmail ones) and i don't want to use multiple apps for different services.

Any suggestions/recommendations on any frontrunners/obvious picks in these categories (free or paid apps) would be great, as i'm a newbie and have no clue.:p

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Did you look at powertoggles and not like it or am I misunderstanding you? :o

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc

I was under the impressing the native email app could be used for different emails, gmail certainly does it for multiple gmail accounts.

I haven't tried it but I recently came across this email app: http://www.addictivetips.com/ios/mymail-email-client-for-android-ios/

You should also check if there's a android update (I thought google had rolled out 4.4 to all devices).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Lads, anybody else having trouble with cabbage ultimate on the 3 network lately?

just downloaded that textdroid pro app.

Well that was a waste of time. im sure Sam will get cabbage working again.

Hopefully anyway.

jozi wrote: »
    Did you look at powertoggles and not like it or am I misunderstanding you?

Brilliant app, thank you. Just what I needed. Is there any way to customise the right hand drop down menu on the home page in the same way? The powertoggles app seems to want to work on the notification drop down (left side drop down menu) only.
    I was under the impressing the native email app could be used for different emails, gmail certainly does it for multiple gmail accounts...

Yes, you're correct, it does. My bad. I just didn't have it set to show all of the accounts at once. Rookie mistake. Thanks!
    You should also check if there's a android update (I thought google had rolled out 4.4 to all devices).

Am not sure whether I want to upgrade or not. I come from iOS land where every new update pushed out puts more buggy code on your hardware and kills your battery a little more than the last. Why would I want to upgrade? Is there anything significantly better about 4.4,and can I roll back if I encounter issues?

Can I remove\hide the notification for it in the notification centre and just ignore it forever? What happens if I just delete the downloaded data?

Also, sorry for all the questions but what's the best way to use boards.ie on android? Seems to be a quirky mess of a mobile interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Brilliant app, thank you. Just what I needed. Is there any way to customise the right hand drop down menu on the home page in the same way? The powertoggles app seems to want to work on the notification drop down (left side drop down menu) only.

I'm not sure but if there is I'd be interested in hearing also :D
    Yes, you're correct, it does. My bad. I just didn't have it set to show all of the accounts at once. Rookie mistake. Thanks!
    Happy days, I didn't know it would show all mails though, I have to select which mail adress to check but I like it that way.

Am not sure whether I want to upgrade or not. I come from iOS land where every new update pushed out puts more buggy code on your hardware and kills your battery a little more than the last. Why would I want to upgrade? Is there anything significantly better about 4.4,and can I roll back if I encounter issues?

Can I remove\hide the notification for it in the notification centre and just ignore it forever? What happens if I just delete the downloaded data?

Can't say what it will do for the tablet. On my Nexus 4 it's all working fine haven't noticed anything unusual or a drain on the batt. It's meant to be more optimized to run on older spec to. I'm using it with the "Google Experience Launcher" which was new on the nexus 5 but didn't come on older devices (maybe the 7 did get it, not sure though)

Also, sorry for all the questions but what's the best way to use boards.ie on android? Seems to be a quirky mess of a mobile interface.

Tapatalk probably for boards? I usually browse on the pc.

I've been getting lots of app and stuff from Adictivetips and droidlife if you want to get some more idea's.

just downloaded that textdroid pro app.

Well that was a waste of time. im sure Sam will get cabbage working again.

Hopefully anyway.

Not sure what you mean. TextDroid working fine for me on Three. Life saver.

Not sure what you mean. TextDroid working fine for me on Three. Life saver.

I figured out the problem.

The app didn't recognise the numbers when dialed with the SwiftKey app.

It's weird, if you long press the number, it's fine. But if you go to the number board on the map, the app won't recognise it.

Something I don't understand though. The contacts icon. Why when I press it, it opens up Dropbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

There are 3 N7's in this house and all updated to 4.4 without a problem , personally I think my battery is lasting a bit longer .

jonski wrote: »
    There are 3 N7's in this house and all updated to 4.4 without a problem , personally I think my battery is lasting a bit longer .

What about no flash player support in 4.4? As an apple user, having no flash is pretty problematic and limiting for browsing experiences. Wouldnt holding on to it in 4.3 be reason enough not to upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

What about no flash player support in 4.4? As an apple user, having no flash is pretty problematic and limiting for browsing experiences. Wouldnt holding on to it in 4.3 be reason enough not to upgrade?

Flash was removed since ICS, but you can sideload it and use a browser that supports flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Unless I'm missing something, there is no Flash support in 4.3 either and if memory serves since 4.2 as well. I know there were ways around it but I was fairly sure they'd all stopped working.

Also, iOS doesn't support flash either?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭WealthyB

Hi Guys

Is there an app to change the tiles you see when dragging down the notifications bar and clicking the gears icon? Would love to be able to change/edit these.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no Flash support in 4.3 either and if memory serves since 4.2 as well. I know there were ways around it but I was fairly sure they'd all stopped working.

Also, iOS doesn't support flash either?

Flash compatibility in android's various browsers seems better. There's no usable quality flash compatibility on any of apple's machines, and it was one of my main reasons for buying an android.

Cutting edge tablets and browsing devices with turn of the century browsing experiences on certain sites always bugged me in iOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

WealthyB wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Is there an app to change the tiles you see when dragging down the notifications bar and clicking the gears icon? Would love to be able to change/edit these.

Did you try to click the edit button...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Flash compatibility in android's various browsers seems better. There's no usable quality flash compatibility on any of apple's machines, and it was one of my main reasons for buying an android.

Cutting edge tablets and browsing devices with turn of the century browsing experiences on certain sites always bugged me in iOs.

Possibly because I use Chrome Beta but sites using Flash do not work for me, my HTC One on 4.3 supports flash in its stock browser allright and I used to be able to use Dolphin Browser to support flash on my N7 but that ability has been removed as far as I know.

Anyway back to the point, there is very little difference between 4.3 and 4.4 so stick with 4.3 if you're worried about losing whatever flash compatibility you have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭WealthyB

Did you try to click the edit button...

Are we talking about the same place? Drag down Notifications Bar, click the Profile icon (sorry I said gears icon in my last post), the notification bar then shows you tiles.

I don't see an edit button anywhere on that screen (see attached)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Very nice to play, look at.. and rather relaxing.

Type:Rider

jw26.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bulkypix.typerider

Is there an app to change the tiles you see when dragging down the notifications bar and clicking the gears icon?...

This question was just answered for me about 10 posts/24 hours ago, so in the interest of paying it forward, here you go, this will do what you need:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.painless.pc

It allows you to customise the left hand side notification pull-down bar only. Tweak things around in the app's settings and you can add up to 2 rows of on/off toggles that are completely customisable size, functionality, and colour-wise. It doesn't allow you to customise the right hand dropdown bar, which is a bit silly, but it does allow you to give the left one enough functionality to make the right hand one irrelevant. You can add all the same toggles and more and have them and your notifications in the one menu.

As of yet i haven't found a way to customise the stock toggles on the right hand menu, so if anyone knows one, I'd love to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Hi Guys

Settings --> Interface --> Quick Settings Panel --> Tile and Layout

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement