Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You don't need to actually use chrome on your phone to benefit from "chrome2phone". It works fine with all browsers, just needs chrome on desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

srsly78 wrote: »
    You don't need to actually use chrome on your phone to benefit from "chrome2phone". It works fine with all browsers, just needs chrome on desktop.

He's not talking about Chrome to Phone, what he means is that you can have your bookmarks/etc. synced between Chrome browser on PC & phone, not just send links across...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I like using Chrome on the SGS2 but I have terrible problems entering text into a textbox on forms. I find its next to impossible to go back and change text that I entered on a previous line by either moving the cursor with the arrow keys or just touching the screen where I want to change the text. The cursor starts jumping around all over the place. I suspect touchwiz is part of the problem, maybe there's a conflict with it and swiftkey but the issue seems to happen more using Chrome than with the stock browser. Aside from that Chrome is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I like using Chrome on the SGS2 but I have terrible problems entering text into a textbox on forms. I find its next to impossible to go back and change text that I entered on a previous line by either moving the cursor with the arrow keys or just touching the screen where I want to change the text. The cursor starts jumping around all over the place. I suspect touchwiz is part of the problem, maybe there's a conflict with it and swiftkey but the issue seems to happen more using Chrome than with the stock browser. Aside from that Chrome is excellent.

Might be swiftkey, I have same issue using a Sensation (with Elegancia ROM) on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

xxyyzz wrote: »

I get that too, standard keyboard. Any browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

+1 here for Dolphin.

I rooted my phone (Galaxy Mini) had terrible problem running out of space and discovered the stock browser was huge so uninstalled and now use Dolphin.

Btw Link2SD and 8gb card sorted all my problems :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bboyle18

Hey

I thought some of you might be interested in a new app I developed. Its a Sopranos Quiz app that has over 200 trivia questions on The Sopranos TV show.
    Theres 6 levels where you work your way up from being a Soprano Associate to Boss.
    Its good fun so it might be worth checking out. Heres the link http://goo.gl/WljgL

Thanks

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

checking this out now, although i have a feeling it will still need data for route finding, which would limit the usefuless somewhat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

subway wrote: »
    checking this out now, although i have a feeling it will still need data for route finding, which would limit the usefuless somewhat

Also, Irelands maps aren't available offline for some reason. They used to be in the labs cache feature which I used, but they've turned that off with this update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

bboyle18 wrote: »
    Hey

I thought some of you might be interested in a new app I developed. Its a Sopranos Quiz app that has over 200 trivia questions on The Sopranos TV show.
    Theres 6 levels where you work your way up from being a Soprano Associate to Boss.
    Its good fun so it might be worth checking out. Heres the link http://goo.gl/WljgL

Thanks

Brian

Downloaded this last night, currently only a Capo. Certainly a challenging quiz, but well put together. Good job, worth the 79c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I don't really get this at all, you can only save maps zoomed to a fairly high level and (apparently, I havent tested) you can't use navigation on an offline map....it's like they had a good idea and then looked for ways to make it useless!

Also, Irelands maps aren't available offline for some reason. They used to be in the labs cache feature which I used, but they've turned that off with this update.
    i downloaded ireland maps no problem.
    it was seriously slow, but they are there now.
    no directions offline however

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i downloaded ireland maps no problem.
    it was seriously slow, but they are there now.
    no directions offline however

i assume it the voice part thats the problem.

voice part?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its that it actually needs to communicate with the server to figure out different routes

i know, just pointing out that calling it "offline mode" is a little bit of a misnomer since numerous features dont work.
    a navigation app doesnt "need" to communicate with a server in order to route finding. google have chosen to set its maps app up this way, which is unfortunate as its useless if you dont have data roaming or access to wifi.

that wouldnt answer my question about the "voice part", as i'm not really sure what irishgeo meant.

i know, just pointing out that calling it "offline mode" is a little bit of a misnomer since numerous features dont work.
    a navigation app doesnt "need" to communicate with a server in order to route finding. google have chosen to set its maps app up this way, which is unfortunate as its useless if you dont have data roaming or access to wifi.

that wouldnt answer my question about the "voice part", as i'm not really sure what irishgeo meant.

Its not Google Navigation offline mode. Its Google Maps offline mode.
    And the phone has a TTS engine built in.

you can get directions in maps, without using navigation...
    the navigation app doesnt need to be online afaik, maps pushes the directions to it.

i know the phone has a TTS engine, thats why I'm not sure what irishgeo is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Its not Google Navigation offline mode. Its Google Maps offline mode.
    And the phone has a TTS engine built in.
    I managed to get the Dublin maps (approx 45 megs), using the 'scroll to England and scroll back' method, but unfortunately it doesn't seem work for Galway/West Coast of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I managed to get the Dublin maps (approx 45 megs), using the 'scroll to England and scroll back' method, but unfortunately it doesn't seem work for Galway/West Coast of Ireland.

It does for me but seems to be a bug in it, if I start over Dublin and zoom out until it says I'm zoomed out too far then zoom back in until its acceptable and then move across to the west I can download the maps there, or any part of Ireland even.

you can get directions in maps, without using navigation...
    the navigation app doesnt need to be online afaik, maps pushes the directions to it.

i know the phone has a TTS engine, thats why I'm not sure what irishgeo is talking about.
    I thought it checked for traffic and changes when you try navigate. Then again I could just be gone mad.
    draffodx wrote: »
    It does for me but seems to be a bug in it, if I start over Dublin and zoom out until it says I'm zoomed out too far then zoom back in until its acceptable and then move across to the west I can download the maps there, or any part of Ireland even.
    I have most of ireland downloaded now :pac:
    I also have absolutely no reason to use it.....its purely to take up some memory. How people fill their phones is beyond me :o

I thought it checked for traffic and changes when you try navigate. Then again I could just be gone mad.

I also have absolutely no reason to use it.....its purely to take up some memory. How people fill their phones is beyond me :o
    it probably does, i havent used it much as have sat nav in the car and cant use it abroad.
    my point is that the general sequence is load point on map, click directions, click navigate. whether the directions actually get pushed or not and it does route finding on the fly gets away from my point slightly.
    in that there is no need for navigation to be done in the cloud, its a nice feature, but basic routefinding shoul be done on the phone and then extra info downloaded from the cloud when data permits.
    whether thats for navigation or just for the standard "directions" i think its the same engine on the server side.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Damoedge

If you ever wanted apps that are not available in the irish play store try this handy app, it gives you a list of all the stores/markets available around the world and you can download them straight to your phone ;)

http://www.androidfreeware.net/download-all-app-stores.html

Some good free goodies there too :)

Dont all thank me at once :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The new Youtube update is nice, really like the layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

it probably does, i havent used it much as have sat nav in the car and cant use it abroad.
    my point is that the general sequence is load point on map, click directions, click navigate. whether the directions actually get pushed or not and it does route finding on the fly gets away from my point slightly.
    in that there is no need for navigation to be done in the cloud, its a nice feature, but basic routefinding shoul be done on the phone and then extra info downloaded from the cloud when data permits.
    whether thats for navigation or just for the standard "directions" i think its the same engine on the server side.
    How can it plot routes on the phone, when the maps have not been retrieved to the phone in advance? That's why it's plotted in the cloud. I don't think offline mode is going to change this architecture.

I mean if you were going to travel thousands of miles across the US (extreme example!), you wouldn't want it to pull down 2 gigs of maps before it can plot the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Didn't know there was a Sopcast app for Android. It's not on the market. Haven't tried it yet cause I'm in work.
    http://www.sopcast.org/docs/android.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Didn't know there was a Sopcast app for Android. It's not on the market. Haven't tried it yet cause I'm in work.
    http://www.sopcast.org/docs/android.html

I've been using it for a few months.
    The audio lags behind teh video in most cases. Watchable tho as most streams of football have foreign language that I can't understand anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I'll give this a try on my Logitech Revue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement