Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Didn't know there was a Sopcast app for Android. It's not on the market. Haven't tried it yet cause I'm in work.
    http://www.sopcast.org/docs/android.html

Tried it there, works fine.
    It also accepts sopcast links from the browser (stock at least) and opens the sopcast app!

Nice find :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

AntiRip wrote: »
    I just can't get away from Dolphin. It's the only browser I'm aware of that has lastpass/xmarks addons. Although Xmarks is irrelevant now with Chrome/Firefox sync.

I am using dolphin but when I click on urls that pop up another window, I dont know where it goes? Any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

How can it plot routes on the phone, when the maps have not been retrieved to the phone in advance? That's why it's plotted in the cloud. I don't think offline mode is going to change this architecture.

I mean if you were going to travel thousands of miles across the US (extreme example!), you wouldn't want it to pull down 2 gigs of maps before it can plot the route.
    how do you think regular sat navs work? maps on an SD card / DVD, software uses data within the map to plot the route, nothing offloaded to the cloud.

IF (and only IF) you have the maps on the phone, it should contain enough info for the app to plot a route offline. IF you are online, it can check for traffic etc, and IF you go outside of the area you have downloaded, it can say "address not found".

it seems common sense to me, not sure why there is such derision for the idea on here?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does anyone know an app that will deliver your voicemials as text? I've seen this before but thought it was network specific. I'm told there are apps that do it, but some are expensive. I simply hate listening to voicemials and if I could just check an app and see a voice recognition txt version - it would fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

This is what Google Voice is supposed to do (I know it's not available here) I tried to use it in the US on T-Mobile a few weeks ago and it just didn't seem to work?

Don't know of any others, sorry for my unhelpful post :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Zascar wrote: »
    Does anyone know an app that will deliver your voicemials as text? I've seen this before but thought it was network specific. I'm told there are apps that do it, but some are expensive. I simply hate listening to voicemials and if I could just check an app and see a voice recognition txt version - it would fantastic.

Hullomail has added voicemail transcription recently. No idea how good it is or price though :/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

subway wrote: »
    how do you think regular sat navs work? maps on an SD card / DVD, software uses data within the map to plot the route, nothing offloaded to the cloud.

IF (and only IF) you have the maps on the phone, it should contain enough info for the app to plot a route offline. IF you are online, it can check for traffic etc, and IF you go outside of the area you have downloaded, it can say "address not found".
    Regular satnavs work by having all of the necessary maps and routing data stored on your local device. When I download the European maps on my Garmin Satnav (which includes offline routing) it's a 3.5 Gb download. Google maps has been built and architected on the principle that you are served maps on an 'as needed' basis, and that routing is carried on central servers in a cloud of servers dedicated to this specific task. So should they re-write this routing logic so it works on a phone, send all of the routing data down the wire along with the offline map tiles, and provide offline routing when you happen to need it and happen to be in a specific location where you have the necessary map tiles (which may or may not be out of date?).

Sure it'll only cost a couple of hundred grand of developer time. It's not like Google are an 'online' company, who make their money based on the principle of providing online applications and services. If only someone already had off-line map navigation applications available on Android. Sure, it's logistically possible, but why would they want to do it? Where is the earning potential for them? How can the recoup the costs required? I'm just surprised they now support off-line maps as I cannot see how they profit from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Started using the nova launcher recently, seems pretty snazzy, what other launchers do ppl use and which is the best?

I'm on CM9 and use their stock one Trebuchet which is really nice, was using Nova before, it's excellent too. Good few people using Apex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I use Go Launcher Ex, have messed around with Apex and Trebuchet a bit but I just prefer the look/feel of Go Launcher - though I do hate that they tack on Go Themes and Go Store with it.

1st Broken Sword game just got released for €3
    No brainer tbh!

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

No brainer tbh!

To stay the hell away you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

The new update for sky go app still doesn't support ics. Fairly annoying. Any method to get around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

1st Broken Sword game just got released for €3
    No brainer tbh!

Link

540MB?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

@Patsy fyre
    Just sent you a PM with details on SkyGo

That sounds like a PM I might like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

BrookieD wrote: »
    @Patsy fyre
    Just sent you a PM with details on SkyGo
    Any chance of receiving this too.

I'd recommend checking the spreadsheet posted here and doing what people did for your phone on your rom. :)

In my PM

I have a Galaxy S2 on Three rooted running a custom ICS rom.
    I have SkyGo working sweet as a nut on my phone.
    but i needed to add Voodoo OTA root keeper and temp unroot the phone then run Sky Go.

pM me your email address and i will email the apk's over to you (not taking an flak for things that might or might not happen to your phone adding these apks, nothing should happen but thought i would add that bit...lol)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Final Fantasy III

€12.99 is a bit expensive but I've played the remake and its a great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Otacon wrote: »

Fifa 12 downlloads over 1 gb of data.
    draffodx wrote: »
    Final Fantasy III

€12.99 is a bit expensive but I've played the remake and its a great game!

I'm tempted to buy this aswell. is it worh the price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ste- wrote: »
    Fifa 12 downlloads over 1 gb of data.

I'm tempted to buy this aswell. is it worh the price ?

I played it on the DS when it was remade and paid full whack €30 for it so it's probably worth it but 13 quid is a stretch!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

when or where would ye watch sky go on your phones??:confused::confused:

Achill Island, when i rent a house it means i can watch a match or cath up on news...

also when on a bus, something to watch... loads more places i could think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

BrookieD wrote: »
    In my PM

I have a Galaxy S2 on Three rooted running a custom ICS rom.
    I have SkyGo working sweet as a nut on my phone.
    but i needed to add Voodoo OTA root keeper and temp unroot the phone then run Sky Go.

pM me your email address and i will email the apk's over to you (not taking an flak for things that might or might not happen to your phone adding these apks, nothing should happen but thought i would add that bit...lol)

i was reading that the latest version of the sky go app has blocked the OTA root keeper work around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

You can also plug a lot of these phones into HDMI ports on TVs.

nedd wrote: »
    i was reading that the latest version of the sky go app has blocked the OTA root keeper work around.

crap.. just trying mine now

Edit--- still works :-)

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »

Yep. Gotta remember theres a serious amount of artwork in these games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement