Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh digital switch over-Irish reception questions answered

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

i have a mobile home in arklow, we always used 2 ariels to pick up stations, 1 for irish and 1 for uk. anyway the reception was crap. so i bought a sat system in aldi/lidl last year and i get 100's of channels, BBC, UTV, channel 4, more 4 etc. dont get RTE tho obviously. this was still working in july, i havent been down since, will it still work with this switch over??

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

prioryc wrote: »
    If they were good before today u could try a cheapo freeview box or freeview usb tuner from ebay and replace the 5 u lost with the 70 digital ones
    see here for more

http://www.freeview.co.uk/

http://shop.ebay.ie/i.html?_nkw=freeview+box&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=freeview&_osacat=0

feel free to ask more here and spread the word ;)

Ye the channels were fine apart from bbc2 going off a while back,anyway a freeview box looks perfect,what one would be the best? and what is a usb tuner? Can i buy them in Ireland? Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

I am totally lost in this thread.Wright i am in wexford and all my english stations through my aerial went off today.Is there a way to retune them?

Hi

The way TV signals in the UK are broadcast is changing - this is called the digital switchover. It is happening in different parts of the UK, and is currently happening in Wales... hence the reason why you have lost the current Welsh stations.

Depending on how good your reception was, the type of aerial you have it will be possible that you will be able to receive the new digital signals that are now being broadcast. To receive the signals you either need a freeview capable TV or a freeview set top box (STB). The cheapest solution is a freeview STB - but note that these aren't compatible with Irish digital tv... whenever that launches.

So for the moment... the best advice is to pick up a freeview box... you can buy them online. I'd recommend the Philips DTR 220/05 as it is very user friendly.

Available online here: http://cpcireland.farnell.com/philips/dtr220-05/twin-scart-freeview-box/dp/AV16993? The description says you can get up to 30 channels, which is incorrect it will pick up whatever freeview signals are available in your area.

A google search might find one cheaper.

Whereas before you were able to get BBC1/2, ITV, S4C and Five, you may be possible to get up to 30 channels and maybe more depending on how good the signal is where you are.

Hope that explains things a little more clearly. ;)

Marc

i have a mobile home in arklow, we always used 2 ariels to pick up stations, 1 for irish and 1 for uk. anyway the reception was crap. so i bought a sat system in aldi/lidl last year and i get 100's of channels, BBC, UTV, channel 4, more 4 etc. dont get RTE tho obviously. this was still working in july, i havent been down since, will it still work with this switch over??

Not strictly the right forum, but as it is a satellite system, the UK digital switchover won't affect it.

Digital Switchover is about tv through an aerial (via a transmitter). However, if you ever lose channels on that box, you'll need to rescan as it won't automatically pick up frequency changes. Sat4free and freesat do however.

Thanks Mark,i am in wexford town and the channels were pretty good before the switch off although sometimes with poor weather they wouldn't be the best but could still watch them.I think i will get one of these boxes and see how it goes.Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark,i am in wexford town and the channels were pretty good before the switch off although sometimes with poor weather they wouldn't be the best but could still watch them.I think i will get one of these boxes and see how it goes.Thanks again.

If you need any other help... just ask! And tell your friends that for a few quid they can keep watching!!!

The plan later is that four HD channels will also be broadcast on freeview, but the STBs aren't on the market for those yet. If you discover your digital signal is good, you could always invest in one of these... http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&langId=-1&q=FREEVIEW+&c_1=1|cat_14419512|Digital+boxes+and+services|14419633&pp=20&c_2=2|cat_14419633|Freeview+digital+TV+recorders|14419636

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

Ye the channels were fine apart from bbc2 going off a while back,anyway a freeview box looks perfect,what one would be the best? and what is a usb tuner? Can i buy them in Ireland? Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions.

A usb tuner acts like a freeview box but works through a pc by pluging your aerial into it(handy if your monitor is your existing tv & also works for pausing live tv & recording your shows similar a sky+box yes can it be bought here through ebay too for around €10-15 from the uk/china etc

here quick vids that explain it all
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxkDhHYSlQo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭mrdtv

Pity Divis isn't 'turning up the juice' earlier but I guess this is due to possible interference with ROI. Regarding Blaen-Plwyf check post 65 on this thread as it suggests that Blaen-Plwyf will be nulled to the west as it is virtually on the coast.

We already discussed Blaen-Plwyf: the DUK web site says major antenna works are underway so we'll have to see. Divis is last because they have to construct a completely new taller mast as the existing structure can't support the weight of the new DTT antennas. This also happened at Caldbeck which had to have a new mast.

If Blaen-Plwyf is omni directional,I would suggest that Dtt reception in Dublin from it will be possible as will llandonna except where things like say kiliney hill or bray head are in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

If Blaen-Plwyf is omni directional,I would suggest that Dtt reception in Dublin from it will be possible as will llandonna except where things like say kiliney hill or bray head are in the way.

Very interesting, I would have a clear line of site to there. But its about 30kms longer than from Preseli to Arklow?
    I have installed an attic aerial for Irish DTT, but would look at moving it outside and upgrading.

ps - one of the most interesting threads around here at the moment, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Again check post 65 which indicates it will not be omnidirectional but as mrdtv says we'll just have to wait and see. If it does radiate out west then you're probably right for decent reception in the capital city. BTW those with analogue reception from Wales in Dublin area at present- is it Blaen-Plwyf they're picking up or Llandona or somewhere else?

Again check post 65 which indicates it will not be omnidirectional but as mrdtv says we'll just have to wait and see. If it does radiate out west then you're probably right for decent reception in the capital city. BTW those with analogue reception from Wales in Dublin area at present- is it Blaen-Plwyf they're picking up or Llandona or somewhere else?

As discussed earlier its current analogue beams appear to be directed NW and SW in order to link up with the Preseli and Llandona service areas. The fact that its going to be 40kW instead of the usual 20kW for a 100kW analogue conversion (cf LLandona and Preseli) and that new antenna works are underway is very interesting and unusual. I do see one potential problem: CCI with Divis which will be cochannel on the PSB muxes, although they are a long way away from each other. Unfortunately Dublin is right in the middle!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 macmansion

Hi, I've read through all 9 pages here but most of the discussion was way above my head. I hope somebody will help me on this - I'm baffled!

So, I'm in East Wexford with a rooftop aerial in a good vantage point which used to receive the UK analogue stations clearly. This signal was fed through 4 tv points to different tv sets.

Alongside this there's a sky dish outside which feeds into a sky box at 1 tv. Sky can only be operated from this tv obviously but this signal is in turn fed to the other 3 tvs using some kind of booster/splitter arrangement in the attic.

We wouldn't watch sky very often so before the analogue signal was shut down the arrangemnent worked well. Now that we only have the UK analogue stations available on Sky, and it's only possible to watch the same UK channel on all tvs controlled from 1 room it's not so good.

What alternatives would you suggest? Would a freeview setup require a box at each tv, and could this run in tandem with the sky setup as it is? Or is there any way to have something connected at the aerial which would allow viewing of different channels in different rooms?

Sorry this may be a bit off topic but I'm clueless here. Thanks for your help.

As an aside my RTE1 signal has become unclear recently -don't know if that's related (all other Irish stations are as normal) maybe my aerial needs to be repositioned?

macmansion wrote: »
    Hi, I've read through all 9 pages here but most of the discussion was way above my head. I hope somebody will help me on this - I'm baffled!

So, I'm in East Wexford with a rooftop aerial in a good vantage point which used to receive the UK analogue stations clearly. This signal was fed through 4 tv points to different tv sets.

Alongside this there's a sky dish outside which feeds into a sky box at 1 tv. Sky can only be operated from this tv obviously but this signal is in turn fed to the other 3 tvs using some kind of booster/splitter arrangement in the attic.

We wouldn't watch sky very often so before the analogue signal was shut down the arrangemnent worked well. Now that we only have the UK analogue stations available on Sky, and it's only possible to watch the same UK channel on all tvs controlled from 1 room it's not so good.

What alternatives would you suggest? Would a freeview setup require a box at each tv, and could this run in tandem with the sky setup as it is? Or is there any way to have something connected at the aerial which would allow viewing of different channels in different rooms?

As an aside my RTE1 signal has become unclear recently -don't know if that's related (all other Irish stations are as normal) maybe my aerial needs to be repositioned?

I suggest you buy one cheap Freeview box and try it at every point. If it works then buy a Freeview box for every TV. Then you have Sky, Freeview and RTE everywhere... Earlier a good cheapo Freeview box was recommended on this thread. This is how multiset environments are handled in a digital environment. If you received good Channel 5 analogue then you are probably in business...

It is a confusing situation. Check my post #124 from last night. Basically your current TVs (unless they have freeview built in) only have an analogue tuner. A freeview box allows you to watch the digital channels now being broadcast. You would need a freeview box per television if you wanted to maintain the same set up as you had before. Alternatively you could get a freesat/sat4free box linked to your satellite dish which might be just as useful.

The current freeview boxes on the market will not decode Irish digital television when it becomes properly available (it is in test phase at present). Worth making you aware of that right now.

Basically there are a couple of options open to you...

freeview gives you up to 100 tv/radio/text channels for the price of a freeview box. it is plug and play, so you put the aerial in the back, use a scart or on some boxes another aerial cable to hook up to the tv and away to go.

Some channels like Dave, TMF, Sky Sports News are available which you have to pay for on Satellite. Some of these channels may be lost if Irish DTT starts full time using the same frequencies (that is the plan at present!!! :rolleyes:) Reception could be variable depending on where you live.

A freesat or sat4free box will give you more free channels and the box will update the channel listing, unlike a box from lidl or aldi for example where you will need to rescan the box if channels move frequency etc. Reception should be stable and can be fed off an existing satellite dish depending on how many boxes you intend having.

Hope this helps.

Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 37 macmansion

I really appreciate it the replies - I was completely confused.

So I'm going to try a freeview box at each tv and see how that works.
    In this situation I'm still using my current aerial setup combined with freeview box at each tv, and each box can be tuned to a different channel. And this will all run side by side with my current Sky setup.
    Finally, I'll need to change again when Irish digital is up and running.

That's made it very straightforward.

Thanks again.

In this situation I'm still using my current aerial setup combined with freeview box at each tv, and each box can be tuned to a different channel. And this will all run side by side with my current Sky setup.

Thanks again.
    most tv's in shops now have freeview built in.
    Practically all of the new models from 32" up have mpeg 4 tuners capable of the irish and UK digital services.

So next time you need to buy a tv for say a bedroom,you shouldnt need a set top box-just make sure the tv is at least mpeg2 and preferably mpeg4.

If you need at anytime to buy a new tv and you get an mpeg4 one,you shouldnt have to change it again when the irish service is fully up and running.

Thanks again.

NB: let us know what happens. And if you get a result spread the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

You will only need to change when Irish analogue shuts down, a few years away yet.

marclt wrote: »
    Hi

The way TV signals in the UK are broadcast is changing - this is called the digital switchover. It is happening in different parts of the UK, and is currently happening in Wales... hence the reason why you have lost the current Welsh stations.

Depending on how good your reception was, the type of aerial you have it will be possible that you will be able to receive the new digital signals that are now being broadcast. To receive the signals you either need a freeview capable TV or a freeview set top box (STB). The cheapest solution is a freeview STB - but note that these aren't compatible with Irish digital tv... whenever that launches.

So for the moment... the best advice is to pick up a freeview box... you can buy them online. I'd recommend the Philips DTR 220/05 as it is very user friendly.

Available online here: http://cpcireland.farnell.com/philips/dtr220-05/twin-scart-freeview-box/dp/AV16993? The description says you can get up to 30 channels, which is incorrect it will pick up whatever freeview signals are available in your area.

A google search might find one cheaper.

Whereas before you were able to get BBC1/2, ITV, S4C and Five, you may be possible to get up to 30 channels and maybe more depending on how good the signal is where you are.

Hope that explains things a little more clearly. ;)

Marc

Hi just wondering if you have bought from this website before as i bought a philips one yesterday and still have not got an email to confirm the order,on my account it just says order pending.I see that there office is open tomorrow so i will give them a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

Nothing new but still worth seeing ...i got this reply earlier
    when i asked about uk & irish freeview boxes

Hello ...

Irish DTT receivers will become available before the RTE DTT services launch. RTE has no current plans to launch the DTT services.

Further information on this is available on the RTE website www.rtenl.ie

The Irish DTT receivers will use MPEG 4 technology. This is a newer technology than currently used in the UK but should be backwards compatible with the UK’s MPEG 2 technology.:rolleyes:

Best Regards

Susan Fleming

Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
    29-31 Adelaide Road,
    Dublin 2

Ph. No. 00353 1 678 3178

prioryc wrote: »
    Nothing new but still worth seeing ...i got this reply earlier
    when i asked about uk & irish freeview boxes

Hello ...

Irish DTT receivers will become available before the RTE DTT services launch. RTE has no current plans to launch the DTT services.

Further information on this is available on the RTE website www.rtenl.ie

The Irish DTT receivers will use MPEG 4 technology. This is a newer technology than currently used in the UK but should be backwards compatible with the UK’s MPEG 2 technology.:rolleyes:

Best Regards

Susan Fleming

Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
    29-31 Adelaide Road,
    Dublin 2

Ph. No. 00353 1 678 3178

Poor Susan!

Irish receivers will NOT be compatible with UK HD Freeview service, coming on the market shortly and available in overspill areas.

Boy, oh boy, the procrastination, prevarication and stalling have landed RTE, BCI and DCENR in a hell of a mess. Irish viewers are likely to use cheapo Freeview viewers to receive Welsh and NI DTT via overspill and then upgrade to T2 HD boxes as that system rolls out. Market preemption is taking place before our very eyes: unless RTE launch soon its going to have to be T2. BTW that was a stock response from them: once people tumble to the fact they can get Freeview in the South East it pulls the rug from their technical strategy. Our friends at $ky will of course seek to capitalise on this standards instability in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

mrdtv wrote: »
    once people tumble to the fact they can get Freeview in the South East

It might be pushing it to say its available in the 'South East' rather than Co. Wexford. Stable reception is only a possibility for an insignificant number of people in Co. Waterford, and there are no reports of UK DTT reception in the other counties of the South East - Kilkenny, Carlow, South Tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sazziey

Hi

I live in Wexford area and have lost the analogue signal from Wales. Have purchased a Grundig set top box but it will only find 4 radio stations and nothing else. Any ideas what to do please? Before analogue went the signal was brilliant and pictures very clear so don't understand why I can't get anything. :mad: Thanks for any help.

Sazziey wrote: »
    Hi

I live in Wexford area and have lost the analogue signal from Wales. Have purchased a Grundig set top box but it will only find 4 radio stations and nothing else. Any ideas what to do please? Before analogue went the signal was brilliant and pictures very clear so don't understand why I can't get anything. :mad: Thanks for any help.

Is that a freeview box from the uk? May i ask where you bought it from?Not sure how to tune these but a friend of mine bought a new tv in joyces and it has the freeview box built into it and he is picking up the signal for uk channels perfectly.

Hi

I bought the set top box on ebay. It is a Grundig - in fact I bought 2 of them. The instructions are clear but when it does the automatic tuning no channels are found at all - only 4 radio ones. Have no idea what to do as it doesn't give me any other options in the instruction leaflet. Any advice very gratefully received!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭atellyer

Was it a reconditioned box? I bought a similar box a couple of years ago and never got it to work.

I am expecting a freeview box on monday and will let you all know how i get on.

Hi
    Yes - the box is factory reconditioned - is this why I have a problem? Any recommendations as to which box to get now then? Am getting very confused with it all.......:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

Hi all,

My system is located some 8 miles south of Courtown and I am using a 20 years old Yagi style aerial with WF65 cable connected through a 26dB amp in the loft (the aerial is outside on a 3 metre mast). With this temporary arrangement I have received 91 channels at a signal strength of 52/59%.

I want to improve on this by changing to a new 48 element wideband aerial with the amp placed on the mast.

Before doing so I would appreciate any advice or suggestions to improve the signal strength.

Thanks in anticipation of any replies.

Advertisement