Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great to see that the press are getting such a free reign on releasing info regarding the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

cant wait for it:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kiith wrote: »
    Great to see that the press are getting such a free reign on releasing info regarding the beta.

Unlike swtor, it was as tight as a ducks ass tbh, i knew it wasnt a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

well we got to organise and try get all the irish on the one realm for sure with this. I'll be playing this and swtor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I like the look of the new UI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PC Gamer has an article with some insanely ambitions PvP info:
    PC Gamer wrote:
    Armies of a hundred players will get the chance to fight for their server in Guild Wars 2′s massive three-way PvP battles. Each army will fight for control of The Mists, an enormous zone packed full of vast NPC controlled fortresses that you’ll have to take and hold using trebuchets, catapults and siege golems.

It’s going to be massive. Literally massive. “We use as much space as we possibly can in order to accommodate over a hundred people from each server fighting on every map,” explains Mike Ferguson in the latest Guild Wars 2 developer diary entry. “These are the largest maps we can make in Guild Wars 2.”

Taking the castles of The Mists will earn your army supply that can be used upgrade your defences, or you can spend it on war machines that can be used to attack enemy walls. Smaller groups can take minor townships and camp sites to earn more resources, and you can even persuade groups of NPC to join your cause by completing impromptu quests for them in the field.

Ferguson gives an example of how this will work. “You might help a group of ogres protect their camp against constant harpy assaults. In return, your new ogre allies will go rampaging toward the nearest enemy objective or send out patrols to help you hold on to your territory. These factions won’t fight for you indefinitely, but they can help turn the tide of battle.”

You can jump into The Mists at any level. Your character will be boosted to level 80, but when you kill other players they’ll drop loot appropriate to your PvE build. “Any gear that is dropped for you will be level appropriate,” says Ferguson. “The player that was killed doesn’t lose any of their own equipment—that would suck—so you’ll never need to worry about losing your favorite rare weapon if you are defeated.” You’ll also earn experience that’ll help you level outside of PvP.

The really neat part is that we’ll be able to take specific forts in The Mists for our guilds. Each guild can only hold one keep at a time, but the keep can be upgraded to give bonuses to team members within a certain area. So, the PC Gamer guild could take a castle, rename it PC Gamer towers and choose a buff to apply to nearby server members, helping out the team. “These bonuses can increase stats, give allies more health, or even increase the maximum amount of supply that players can take from the supply depot at that location,” says Ferguson. “If you want to help your realm build siege weapons faster, that supply increase will be a must.”

It sounds exciting, but extremely ambitious. Ferguson says that ArenaNet “didn’t want to build anything less than the best large-scale PvP combat ever.” Have they succeeded? We’ll have to wait and see. Guild Wars 2 should be out later this year.

It really does sound amazing. If they can get it working the way they've been talking about, it will be great fun.

Im hoping it will have enough PVE to keep me entertained, ive never taken to pvp in any mmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

humanji wrote: »
    PC Gamer has an article with some insanely ambitions PvP info:

Can. Not. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Dcully wrote: »
    Im hoping it will have enough PVE to keep me entertained, ive never taken to pvp in any mmo.

Same with me but, the server vs server pvp sounds interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

What I'm really wondering is how are they going to create these huge pvp battles without uber lag even high end pcs can't handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Can't wait for this! and TB's coverage will be superb if going by his WoW coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bardinworld

ive already decided on races and their corresponding professions! :D its gonna be ****in epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Having looked Yogcast go through the starting zone for the Norse I feel completely underwhelmed. I know it's PVE but still it looked very average and very generic.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Having looked Yogcast go through the starting zone for the Norse I feel completely underwhelmed. I know it's PVE but still it looked very average and very generic.

Looked incredibly similar to rift to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well it's still early. It's not out for a while yet. We should hold of on judgement until its ready for launch imo.

Hopefully we wont end up in a molyneux situation where alot was promised and yet not delivered.

That's the thing, I was watching it thinking "That was pretty much everyones experience in Rift 30 minutes into the game".

That's the thing, I was watching it thinking "That was pretty much everyones experience in Rift 30 minutes into the game".

Exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

This game looks incredible. i was a avid gW1 fan and played it when it first came out. Loved the storyline and gamplay of GW1 and this looks like it could be a masterpiece

This game looks incredible. i was a avid gW1 fan and played it when it first came out. Loved the storyline and gamplay of GW1 and this looks like it could be a masterpiece

Pretty early to claim a masterpiece, did you register just to tell us this ? :P

More and more like rift the more videos i watch, this vid is exactly the same as rifts instant adventure option.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars-2/1219083p1.html

Pretty early to claim a masterpiece, did you register just to tell us this ? :P

lol no. dont worry i am no spam. check my other posts. im legit :) a mate recommend me this forum.

Anyways back on topic, the reason why i think this may be a mastepriece is because i feel that this mmo is doing some unique refreshing things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stemtrex

Iv'e been really excited about this game for a while now. Not to impressed with all the press beta videos. I can't really judge yet though. I'd like to see more high level content and all class videos are of mesmers, engineers and thieves. Mesmer looks blehhhh. Want to see some more classes!

Is this a good or bad thing in your opinion though?

I love the idea of the 2 week long world pvp battles. Really sounds like something i could get stuck into on a regular basis. Having three different realms against each other is also great, to avoid one side steam rolling the other.

If this game is as stable and bug free as rift when its released plus all the unique features implemented and working a sit should, i can see this being a strong contender against WOW.

With it being free to play is also a great thing imo.

Kiith wrote: »
    Is this a good or bad thing in your opinion though?

I love the idea of the 2 week long world pvp battles. Really sounds like something i could get stuck into on a regular basis. Having three different realms against each other is also great, to avoid one side steam rolling the other.

Im unsure, Rift had a special place in my memory for really nailing those sort of dynamic events and I don't know how exactly GW2 can live up to that when it's PVE combat on paper looks quite easy? There doesn't seem to be much of "epicness" going on so far in those videos which get my attention.

Im unsure, Rift had a special place in my memory for really nailing those sort of dynamic events and I don't know how exactly GW2 can live up to that when it's PVE combat on paper looks quite easy? There doesn't seem to be much of "epicness" going on so far in those videos which get my attention.

My thought exactly, how can they improve upon what is already well done in rift?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

My thought exactly, how can they improve upon what is already well done in rift?

Having never played Rift I'm finding the vid's pretty amazing considering I was a big fan of the first GW which was my very first MMO. Slightly biased I guess but watching them brings back some good memories.

Really looking forward to this.

Advertisement