Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Come on spill the beans on how you be playing? Gamecon?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Dcully wrote: »
    Come on spill the beans on how you be playing? Gamecon?

Yep got a press pass to Gamescom. I've an interview organised with ArenaNet too so will have plenty of GW 2 stuff online during the week. :)

Ok guys, got a fair amount of awesome Guild Wars 2 footage that will be online later today.

http://www.glimpsedog.com/content/347-epic-guild-wars-2-footage.html

High quality videos are taking a bit longer to process than I thought. I've stuck up a short LQ video though and some quick impressions. Hopefully I'll get the HQ versions up tonight and my full impressions article tomorrow. Enjoy the video anyway. :)

Tonnes of GW2 stuff from Gamecon here

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/this-gamescom-compilation-information-streaming-t6651.html?s=25990f34a89d7dd519acca7c52f98b79&

Looks mighty impressive, nice to see some real gameplay footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wow thats a lot to get through.

Also, you see in the video "character creation", the 4th class is Necromancer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Trishtan

I was excited for Guild Wars 2 until I read this http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/4466/Heals-for-Everyone.html

Every class is getting healing spells? Sounds rather dumb to me. Didn't whoever made Fallen Earth try this and it sucked the big one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Trishtan wrote: »
    Every class is getting healing spells? Sounds rather dumb to me. Didn't whoever made Fallen Earth try this and it sucked the big one?
    Well, they said they're trying to break the old stereotype of the dedicated healer, the character that sits back and heals while everyone else does the fighting. Bo-ring.

I didn't even know that when I started - who'd want to do that? One of my main GW characters is a Healer / Elementalist, but one set up for fighting. (She walks softly and carries a big staff.) So I joined a multiplayer mission with a bunch of strangers, got stuck in, and got moaned at for not healing everyone else. I had my hands full at the time, what did they expect? :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

bnt wrote: »
    Well, they said they're trying to break the old stereotype of the dedicated healer, the character that sits back and heals while everyone else does the fighting. Bo-ring.

I found playing a dedicated healer in GW anything but boring. It was constant action, constant thinking, micro management, high pressure and you were one of the most important parts of the team...I'm talking PvP, I never bothered much with the PvE aspect.

Haven't had time to watch the videos or read up, but there really is no Monk class anymore? It wouldn't bother me though, from a PvP point of view there'll be a class that is superior at healing and will essentially become the standard healing class. For PvE I think giving every class having healing capabilities is a good move. Anything to make PvE more fun with less waiting around for a specific class is a good thing in any MMO I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Trishtan

I love playing the dedicated healer class. Every MMO I've ever played I've been the healer. Most people just flat out suck at being a healer, they don't have the attention or patience to keep an eye on everything going on around them.

As Trine said, a healer is the most important part of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just watched those video's from Gamescom, and i'm impressed. It looks really nice. This is definitely one of my most anticipated MMO's, along with The Old Republic and (to a lesser extent) Black Prophecy/Jumpgate Evolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Any more on this yet?

PC Gamer have a nice write up on this in the current issue, most is stuff we know but some nice tidbits of new info:

- Dungeons have 2 modes, Story and Exploration. You have to play Story first and Exp unlocks after finishing it. Story has cutscenes and a big main boss, Exp has no cutscenes and is set after the first run where you deal with the consequences of defeating the boss and such, also more quests appear and more options to explore. this is the mode you wil repeat for items and such.
    - Dungeon bosses drop items you trade in for your gear sopecific for your character, no running the same boss 50 times hoping for the Pants of Explosive Fury drop and then not get ninjad by some tool.

Also, [ur=http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/hall-of-monuments/]Hall of Monuments is open[/url]. Just enter your old GW1 character name and it shows what items you can transfer to GW2 when it launches. Not sure if you need Eye of the North to access (it first launced iin EotN) but a nice addition.

I have to say, this is fast becomming my most anticipated mmo in the near future. Even The Old Republic doesnt appeal to me as much as this. It looks bloody amazing.

Kiith wrote: »
    I have to say, this is fast becomming my most anticipated mmo in the near future. Even The Old Republic doesnt appeal to me as much as this. It looks bloody amazing.

Im with you on that, however like yourself ive been let down so many times by new MMO`s.

Dcully wrote: »
    Im with you on that, however like yourself ive been let down so many times by new MMO`s.

Ya, and i'm sick of it :mad: One of our anticipated games has to be good. Surely, by the law of averages, we are owed a good one at this stage? I mean come on!!

/rant

Well i have my hopes pinned on GW2 and Old Republic.
    Ill probably get the wow expansion meanwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bobzer77

You can check what your achievements in GW1 will get you in 2:

http://hom.guildwars2.com/#page=welcome

Btw anyone interested in helping each other get through the rewards?

If so add Bobzer Notsa

I never managed to kill Glint and that missing sword is a black stain on my prophesies map :(

Thought it best to dredge this thread up than start a whole new one.

Arenanet have confirmed the Guardian as the next class after it was leaked in a "Best of 2011" article on PCGamer, with a full reveal set for Thursday.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=518576&postcount=140
    Glad you’re excited. :-) We’re excited as well. No need to kill your F5 keys over the weekend. We will have a full reveal of the guardian, along with all the goodies (pics, videos), next Thursday. :-)

Looks to be a sword and board warrior with buffs and such, as Guardian classes usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Thought it best to dredge this thread up than start a whole new one.

Arenanet have confirmed the Guardian as the next class after it was leaked in a "Best of 2011" article on PCGamer, with a full reveal set for Thursday.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=518576&postcount=140

Looks to be a sword and board warrior with buffs and such, as Guardian classes usually are.

Nice! About time they released more info about the game!

• Advertisement

Well they were gonna announce the 5th class around this time, a lot of bets were on the Mesmer as concept art has been floating around showing them.

Hopefully the next piece of news also announces a release date....next week....because I want it now.......and not late Autumn like a lot of sites have speculated at....... :(

Well they were gonna announce the 5th class around this time, a lot of bets were on the Mesmer as concept art has been floating around showing them.

Hopefully the next piece of news also announces a release date....next week....because I want it now.......and not late Autumn like a lot of sites have speculated at....... :(

Late Autumn is the speculation?? Ah *expletive*. So much for summer plans of playing it.. Considering they keep saying It'll be finished when it's finished, I'd be surprised if a release date is announced any time soon. Maybe they're keeping it for the 6th anniversary celebrations.. because that would be awesome.

Heres the write up on the Guardian, sounds a bit like a Paladin.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/guardian/

Also, seems there will be 8 classes so Mesmer could still be in, and Arenanet have hinted that anyone who likes stealthy assassin type classes should keep an ear out for their 6th class reveal. Maybe a return of the Assassin from GW: Factions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Really hope the mesmer is still in it. Was easily my favourite class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a new post from Arenanet designer Jon Peters about the Combat system in GW2. The part that interests me most is the change in MP philosophy:
    We’ve said this a few times in a few places but I can’t reiterate it enough: We built this game so that the professions act as play styles, not as roles. Each profession can support, control, and do damage. We believe that this creates more dynamic combat and more distinct professions because there are more play styles than roles.

One of the best ways to explain this is with an analogy. In a first person shooter there can be a variety of weapons, from sniper rifles to rocket launchers to machine guns and shotguns. No one looks at these weapons and says, “They’re all the same, they all just do DPS.” Why should an MMO be any different?

That is why we want to eliminate things that we felt were burdens on the game such as:
    • Group LF Healer/Tank…
    • Party wipes when you lose the wrong person.
    • Watching the interface instead of the world.
    • Playing with people because you have to, not because you want to.
    • Being stuck in the same combat patterns over and over again.
    Anyway, I hope this gives everyone a little bit of insight into the combat of Guild Wars 2, the removal of the Holy Trinity, and profession roles.
    The idea of fixed roles is why I've had terrible trouble doing MP in GW: I tried going in to a battle as a Healer, but before that I did much more single player mode in GW as a Healer who got stuck in. No-one ever explained to me that a Healer is supposed to sit back and watch everyone else doing battle! :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Ok so theres gonna be a week long reveal of the Norn race next week, so excited as I am gonna play a Norn off the bat.

They did a rundown of the Humans two weeks ago in a similar outlay, most of the stuff (like some more excellent Arenanet concept art, samples of the voices, backstory for the factions inside the race) are still up on the Arenanet Blog http://www.arena.net/blog/

Ok so theres gonna be a week long reveal of the Norn race next week, so excited as I am gonna play a Norn off the bat.

They did a rundown of the Humans two weeks ago in a similar outlay, most of the stuff (like some more excellent Arenanet concept art, samples of the voices, backstory for the factions inside the race) are still up on the Arenanet Blog http://www.arena.net/blog/

Sounds interesting.. any updates about Guild Wars 2 are good updates! Where did you hear this? Can't find mention of it on guildwars2.com or the Arenanet blog.

Was posted on MMORPG, still a bit of speculation on whether its real or not but the wording seemed legit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/news/read/19690/Guild-Wars-2-Norn-Week-Next-Week.html

Was posted on MMORPG, still a bit of speculation on whether its real or not but the wording seemed legit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/news/read/19690/Guild-Wars-2-Norn-Week-Next-Week.html

Ah right. Thanks for the link!

• Advertisement

Just read up on it, was sent out as an e-mail so wouldnt be posted on the Arenanet page yet.

Also they have hinted at beta towards the end of 2011:

When will there be a beta?

"We will be conducting small closed alpha and beta tests in 2011. The feedback from these tests will determine when we will do public beta tests and ship the game. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it."

Advertisement