Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Game is launching at 00:00 PDT :D

Means 8:00AM for us :D gonna get up at 6:30 make a fry and shower and play for 3 days straight :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Means 8:00AM for us :D gonna get up at 6:30 make a fry and shower and play for 3 days straight :D

It's officially 8am, but they've said they may open it up to 3 hours before. Which makes a lot of sense, as would let people in gradually over the 3 hours. I just don't want to get up at 5am, only for me to not be able to login for 3 hours.

I still probably will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Anyone know are character names Unique to each server or exclusively unique?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Big Knox wrote: »
    Anyone know are character names Unique to each server or exclusively unique?

It's for all servers so, you need to be as quick as bunny. That's why I'll be clicking away all night:(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

If you have GW1 reserve all the names you want on that account and its reserved till the end of the first day official launch. But these are only the double barrelled names. There are no single word names that are reserved so if you want one, youll have to get on quick to reserve them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Xeyn wrote: »
    If you have GW1 reserve all the names you want on that account and its reserved till the end of the first day official launch. But these are only the double barrelled names. There are no single word names that are reserved so if you want one, youll have to get on quick to reserve them.

This was only true up until the 31st of July. They built their database of names after this day the 31st was the last day to have names saved.
    We’re building our Guild Wars 2 name reservation list on July 31. We’re only reserving character names from active Guild Wars accounts, which is why you’ll need to log in at least once in 2012 before we build the list in order to be considered an active Guild Wars player.

However, as we mentioned in a previous blog post, your Guild Wars character names will not be reserved indefinitely. You must create a Guild Wars 2 character with the same name as your Guild Wars character during the Headstart Access period or on launch day. Shortly after launch, we’ll free up all the unclaimed names for new Guild Wars 2 players to use.

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    This was only true up until the 31st of July. They built their database of names after this day the 31st was the last day to have names saved.

Is there a list of the names taken already? Would be nice to check it out.

Here's a good site if you need help with a new name. http://rinkworks.com/namegen/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GREENGEKO

just hope the net stays up!!!with all the world "dos" attacking the servers trying to login at the same time to get names...should be fun(keyboards are going to be fecked + say goodbye to the f5 button)

anyone got any word on what the giveaway for gw2 in gamecom was yet??
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/14/guild-wars-2-giveaway-for-gamescom-attendees/http:// (middle of page)
    +
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/y8zxm/twitter_guildwars2_todays_password_is_logan/http://
    Today’s password is: Logan Thackeray

also i didnt get into a guild yet due to pc issues,but now got new ram,graphic card + cooling so now good to go..with [DKR] semi closed i can only find 1 irish guild out there..anyone know any more yet???
    http://www.gamersandgeeks.net/http://

update..guess this guild is not going ahead..didnt scroll down and read the first post???hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Damnit, didn't take my own advice, forgot to update client earlier! Was updated for the last stress test and still have about 12,000 files to download, and the download speed keeps jumping from really slow to normal speeds for me, though that could be a problem my end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was just playing it there for the first time, made a human necromancer to try it out. Really nice looking, i didnt really have a clue what was happening with the quest's found it a bit confusing, but melee dagger necro was bad ass !

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i didnt really have a clue what was happening with the quest's found it a bit confusing
    skip to 7:30 in this video. He explains it very well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36woC3LJ8Y&feature=g-all-c

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

also played for the first time with a human ranger. also my first time playing MMO really.

had a good laugh, took a while to really figure what was going on. one minute defending a windmill, next minute doing a bit of farming. then i did some of the main quest with some NPC's and then i went back looking for human players and chased after a few rabbits.

all new to me , but i think i could enjoy it. it will just take time to figure out the menus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

So I played for about 3 hours last night for the first time. Some thoughts:

1) The client seems very stable, only one or two incidents of slowdown, and 2 crashes in that time
    2) Graphically the game looks great. I was running with Ultra settings (everything maxed out expect supersampling), and was getting around 60fps. Not sure if its optimised yet, but its looking good
    3) 2 crashes - one just after character creation (had to soft reset to get out of that), and once when I zoned into the big city (can't remember the name)
    4) Played necro which wasn't as exciting as I'd have expected, so will give elementalist a blast next time
    5) Also found the public quest thing a bit confusing, they flash up a lot and its not always clear where you should be doing what, but i guess thats just a familairity thing. One thing that did worry me a bit is that while there are no kill/collect/hand in quests (thank GOD), in effect the public quests are kill/colelct, its just that hand in is automatic.
    6) Music and sfx were great
    7) Almost no lag that I was aware of - however not sure where you can see latency

Overall impressed and looking forward to the next stress test or actual launch, which ever comes first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had atleast 3 crashes while zoning lastnight.
    I couldnt even access the task manager to close down the GW2 process, i had to hard reset my machine atleast 3 times.
    The other stress tests didnt give any issues at all.

I only played for about 20 minutes last night, basically just got to a vaguely hard to get to vista point in LA. It was quite laggy, as laggy as it was the first time I played in the first BWE, so couldn't really do much. That said it is a stress test, so stuff like this is to be expected.

I didn't have any issues with it last night, though i only played for just over an hour. Did some PvE, messed around in HotM, and just explored a bit. Still love the game, but i won't bother with anymore stress tests as i don't want to spoil it anymore. Plus, it kind of takes away some of the enjoyment when you know nothing you do matters as the characters get wiped before release.

Can't wait for tomorrow week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i had to turn off the game game twice, both times to took 5 mins trying to change worlds. other than that, no lag etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I had no lag at all, my fps was hoping frm 60-90 i though that was a bit weird (maybe im not use to having this new pc yet :op) I did get disconnected about 6 time's in the few hours i played on the underworld server, but i think that was happening to everyone.

Looking forward to the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭GREENGEKO

get on this quick!!!if you cant make it to gamescom germany :eek:

Arena Net is giving away in-game codes that will unlock a special item for your character once the game launches. You can obtain these if you visit Guild Wars 2 booth at Gamescom. For those of you that are not at the show in Cologne, we managed to obtain some codes and get the item anyways.

http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/gw2-life-in-game-item-giveaway/5403/

UPDATE!!!comption was to run for 4 days but this just in off the web site....

"IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to an unprecedented demand we are forced to end the giveaway prematurely. We initially wanted to run it for 4 days, but we had 4000 people apply within the first 8 hours. Letting this continue with only 4 keys to be given away would just be pointless, so we have decided to cut short the giveaway. We thank you all for participating and we will be contacting the lucky winners with their codes within the next 24 hours. We talked to NCSoft and we were told that a larger batch of keys will be available for us to giveaway so all of you have at least a decent chance of getting one. If we continued this giveaway, the ratio would be one key to 1000 applicants and probably 1 to 10000 within a few days. You might as well play the lottery with those odds …"

hope you got in when this was posted!!!

If anyone here is unfortunate enough to own a Mac running OSX here is how to run GW2 without the need of windows. http://www.aureusknights.com/showthread.php?6308

Video guild ,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6gDuUpfE2w

• Advertisement

Finally decided on Guardian as my main. I'm not crazy about the ranged weapons or even the one handers but the greatsword and hammer are good enough to overlook that for now anyway.

Blink in -> Chain + Pull -> Spinning AoE -> Ring of Trapping -> Ground Slam -> Launch :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im still unsure about a main.

Im thinking warrior as i can do the shield+sword/mace route along with 2 hander sword and hammer and also have good range with the rifle, seems to have a a lot of flexability.

Im also considering a Guardian,the small bit of Guardian i played, i like the healing possibilities as i bash people with shield swords etc.

The Elememtalist effects look fantastic,swapping from fire lightning for damage and then to water for some healing and dps, very enjoyable too.

The Engineer seems cool too.

Decisions decisions, if my past mmo history is anything to go by ill be an altaholic and will take a month or two swapping from one char to another to decide on any possible main.

Thats the thing about GW2, i can just relax and take it easy, no rush to max lvl so i can raid.
    I think i can WvWvW after lvl 5 or is it 10 on all my characters?

Dcully wrote: »
    Im still unsure about a main.

Im thinking warrior as i can do the shield+sword/mace route along with 2 hander sword and hammer and also have good range with the rifle, seems to have a a lot of flexability.

Im also considering a Guardian,the small bit of Guardian i played, i like the healing possibilities as i bash people with shield swords etc.

The Elememtalist effects look fantastic,swapping from fire lightning for damage and then to water for some healing and dps, very enjoyable too.

The Engineer seems cool too.

Decisions decisions, if my past mmo history is anything to go by ill be an altaholic and will take a month or two swapping from one char to another to decide on any possible main.

Thats the thing about GW2, i can just relax and take it easy, no rush to max lvl so i can raid.
    I think i can WvWvW after lvl 5 or is it 10 on all my characters?

WvWvW is 5 or lower as I was doing it at level 6 the other day.

sPvP will be the best form of deciding on a main as you get a level 80 gear set and all class skills and utility skills unlocked!!

You can WvW as soon as you create your character, though you might have to do the tutorial. Not sure about that. You gain skills much slower in PvP though, so you should try and get your 3/5 skills with various weapons before going in.

My 2 characters will be Asuran Necro and Human Thief.

This was posted yesterday about the Gamescom give-aways, so we better keep on eye on fansites!
    We had a great day at gamescom today! We met lots of fans and had fantastic conversations with you all. We really appreciate your love and support and for coming out to speak with us.

One piece of feedback we took on board from our experience and from talking with you is about the item code distribution at our booth. After considering all your feedback, we’ve decided that we needed more community-focused approach to handing out those item codes.

Rather than handing them out at Guild Wars 2 gamescom booth over the next three days, we’ve decided that we will give fansites across Europe these codes to give away. We apologize for the inconvenience this change may cause.

As you know, we value your feedback. We’ve taken that on board. Our goal for giving away these codes is to recognize our most passionate fans in a community-focused way. We feel that having our European fansites give away these codes accomplishes this goal.

We thank you for your patience, understanding, and for all your feedback about this matter.

~ The Guild Wars 2 Community Team

Kiith wrote: »
    You can WvW as soon as you create your character, though you might have to do the tutorial. Not sure about that. You gain skills much slower in PvP though, so you should try and get your 3/5 skills with various weapons before going in.

My 2 characters will be Asuran Necro and Human Thief.

I was planning on Norn Guardian initially but there's just something about the thought of a tiny Asurian Guardian running around in PvP that I might not be able to pass up!! :pac:

Can't believe this game is out in another 6 days, have been waiting for it for about 5 years at this point. As the official server list has been released, have people decided on what servers they'll join?

delta36 wrote: »
    Can't believe this game is out in another 6 days, have been waiting for it for about 5 years at this point. As the official server list has been released, have people decided on what servers they'll join?

I'm going to Far Shiverpeaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Whiteside Ridge for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gonna pre purchase tomorrow I think :D

Advertisement