Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Saw this on reddit this morning. Your mails get delivered by pidgeons. Love the attention to detail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Kiith wrote: »
    Saw this on reddit this morning. Your mails get delivered by pidgeons. Love the attention to detail :)

Attention to detail when it comes to sound.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc2o5VknWE8&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Hello,

sorry about this, i'm fairly new to PC gaming after a gap of about 8 years. Where is the best place to get this game (pre installed for launch etc) in your opinions.

have been looking at the videos and it looks good fun.

Easiest place to get it would be the official site. Slightly more expensive then some other places (G2Play etc...) but not by much.

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got it for €43 on greenmangaming.com ,pc gamer were giving codes that offer 20% off a few days ago, not sure if that offer is still going.
    Other than that can buy directly on guildwars.com for €54,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Guild Wars 2 visually looks fantastic to me Tera didn't but , each to there own. Also, you have to remember they need to get this to run on all the crappy PC's that a lot of people are using.

Just to come back to this, during lastnights stress test i had a good look at the graphics and you are correct they are pretty damn impressive.
    Im not sure if they have upped the anti since the last beta but to me they look a lot better now and performance was excellent, 80-100 fps for me on max settings @ 1920X1080.
    Really looking forward to release now.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Is that pigeon thing recent? I never noticed it before!

The little things that make Guild Wars 2 special. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_clrndx_c&feature=g-user-c This is a great video. It made me stop in the last beta and take a closer look at all the details in GW2.

Hello,

just wondering how hard will this be to a person with little or no knowledge of playing games like WoW. is there a single player part of the game, or is it clan type goals and battles. it might take me a bit of time to get used to it before getting embarrassed online :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Not at all hard. I've played many an MMO and I play by myself far more than in a group. Although, if it always brilliant when you get a good group to play these types of games with imo.

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    Hello,

just wondering how hard will this be to a person with little or no knowledge of playing games like WoW. is there a single player part of the game, or is it clan type goals and battles. it might take me a bit of time to get used to it before getting embarrassed online :o
    I think your at an advantage. People are so use to the way MMO's function and GW2 is different from the norm, that it's going to be hard for some to adjust. Were as, your coming into it fresh. If you want to play on your own you can and that wont put you at a disadvantage but, the game tries to encourage you to play with others in a positive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I envy anyone who has never played an MMO before coming into this. Nothing in gaming comes close to that first few months of an MMO when the experience is so new and GW2 is a great one to start with!!

Although it can also be the start of the end of your social life so be warned!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The little things that make Guild Wars 2 special. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_clrndx_c&feature=g-user-c This is a great video. It made me stop in the last beta and take a closer look at all the details in GW2.

Sweet, didn't know Bane was playing GW2.

just downloading the client now , about 33% through and 6.6 GB , so looking at around 19 GB . looks like the pc will be left on over night as i don't see a way of pausing the download !

hopefully my internet does not turn off at any stage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

just downloading the client now , about 33% through and 6.6 GB , so looking at around 19 GB . looks like the pc will be left on over night as i don't see a way of pausing the download !

Don't worry, it's interruptible. Stop it any time you want, it'll pick up where you left off next time without re-downloading the earlier content.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I just bought it of the gw2 website, woo now i just sit back and play the waiting game then its necromancer time ! :D rise my pretties rise !!

Don't forget that the game may be updated again between now and launch day, so run the client every few days/week to make sure it's up to date when you go to play!

i put it on in the morning again before work, it finished quickly, have not checked the total size yet. i will keep checking in between here and launch.

having a look at the wiki , there is alot of information to take in !!! :eek:

any ideas on what type of build a beginner should be starting off with ? it's probably all trial and error to see what a person likes i suppose :)

since i stopped playing call of duty i have sunk alot of hours into dark souls , so hopefully i will like this.

i put it on in the morning again before work, it finished quickly, have not checked the total size yet. i will keep checking in between here and launch.

having a look at the wiki , there is alot of information to take in !!! :eek:

any ideas on what type of build a beginner should be starting off with ? it's probably all trial and error to see what a person likes i suppose :)

since i stopped playing call of duty i have sunk alot of hours into dark souls , so hopefully i will like this.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about reading through the wiki to try and get the exactly best way of playing, trying out the different weapons and unlocking different skills is a lot of fun in this game, it's all about the discovery! :)
    And in terms of builds, I think you said it exactly right by seeing what a person likes.

Install folder is 14.1gb on my machine. There's apparently another 1gb or so to download today though.

• Advertisement

Oh, for anyone who ordered from Zavvi, they responded to my tweet asking about shipping times for the Collectors Edition:
    Hi Cin, as soon as we receive the stock we will have them shipped to make sure it arrives on time for the release date. Thanks, M

Which, to me, looks good, was worried that the boxes wouldn't be shipped until the release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

bnt wrote: »
    Don't worry, it's interruptible. Stop it any time you want, it'll pick up where you left off next time without re-downloading the earlier content.

Keep an eye on the client - it crashed a few times for me during download. Nothing worse than leaving it overnight, only to find it crased 5 minutes after you walked away.....

As an aside I found the download rate to be fairly low on UPC 100meg - I can max out the line easily enough with other 'applications', here I was struggling to hit over 3 megabytes / sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Only 3 megs a second... oh dear :)
    The only option i have is eircom and i am almost next to the exchange and can only sync at 15megabits/s so im lucky to get around 1megabyte/s download. I think a lot of people are far worse off though...

And yeah, really crappy feeling waking up and rushing to see if the download you left on has finally downloaded only to find it stopped after a few megs!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

That's 8pm - midnight our time. Can't really time it any better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I know and i think i will be engineering it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

FYI..

Pre-Purchase with 3-Day Headstart: Everyone who pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 will enjoy three full days of Headstart Access. The three-day Headstart Access will officially begin at 0:00 AM Pacific time (GMT -7:00) on August 25th. However, please note that in order to ensure that we’re fully prepared for that fateful hour we may bring servers online up to 3 hours prior. If you’re a player committed to getting in first to grab that character name of your dreams you’ll want to be keeping an eye on things during that time period.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-final-countdown-guild-wars-2-launch-times/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I'm beside myself with the excitment....... So so so looking forward to playing.

So, is anyone going to get up at 5am next Saturday to to try and get in straight away? You'd have to be mad...

Though I probably will :o

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    So, is anyone going to get up at 5am next Saturday to to try and get in straight away? You'd have to be mad...

Though I probably will :o
    I will be up all night clicking to get in. I don't want someone to take my names.

Advertisement