Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for first years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Further advice for 1st years, buttery for breakfast, Pav for dinner:D

What are you trying to do, poison them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Ah come on! Pav ftw, so much food for E6, cant go wrong! Buttery's breakfast fry is quality,lunch not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

What sorta stuff does the Pav do? I still haven't been :( Better than the Hamilton cafe anyway, yes? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

JC06 you're in 2nd yr science right? Um chicken, breaded fish, veg, chips, lasagne, paninis, pizza. Way better than the Ham, wouldnt be too hard though. And you can have a guiness with dinner!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

JC06 you're in 2nd yr science right?

I am indeed :D Must give the Pav's food a shot when I get back so!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I dunno about the rest of it, but the Pav's chips are whopper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Speaking of the Pav when is it back open?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

kearnsr wrote: »
    Speaking of the Pav when is it back open?

Hopefully in time for freshers week or at least the first friday of term! Have been about college quite a bit recently and it looks far from finished, in fact it doesnt look like a huge amount has happened at all! Small bit of structural work so far that seems to be it. They would want to get cracking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Every individual who joins the society gets something from it, be they regular attendees, hanging out in the building at lunch times/freshers week and partaking in the entertainment provided, or just coming along to see high profile guests during the year.

I didnt, i joined both in 1st year and it was 10e down the drain. Could have joined a few more socs or got 4 cans of bav in the Pav (plus change!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

And you can have a guiness with dinner!:D

Dont try this. The guinness in there is muck. The food in there is decentish though compared to the Hamilton cafe. The staff seem to be a lot friendlier too which I appreciate. O Donovans ( i think thats the name ) beside the lombard do some nice grub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hopefully in time for freshers week or at least the first friday of term! Have been about college quite a bit recently and it looks far from finished, in fact it doesnt look like a huge amount has happened at all! Small bit of structural work so far that seems to be it. They would want to get cracking:D

crap. I want to go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Not a hope. Assuming that they're going to have to finish all the proposed work beforehand, It will be a long while yet. They've done nothing compared to what they have left to do. Doesn't look good I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭gnl

Quick question - when do we pay the reg fees? Do we need to have sent in the completed "FRS1 Form" first?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

gnl wrote: »
    Quick question - when do we pay the reg fees? Do we need to have sent in the completed "FRS1 Form" first?

I am also befuddled by this. Do I need to send in the FRS1 and GF1 (for grant) forms to Trinity in advance, or just bring them in when we're registering. It says on it to return it, but specifies no date.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    I am also befuddled by this. Do I need to send in the FRS1 and GF1 (for grant) forms to Trinity in advance, or just bring them in when we're registering. It says on it to return it, but specifies no date.
    My thoughts exactly.. I received the orientation pack yesterday and at the bottom of the FRS1 and GF1 forms it just says to return it to whatever office and gives an address. Could we just post them or hand them in in person before fresher's week?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

My thoughts exactly.. I received the orientation pack yesterday and at the bottom of the FRS1 and GF1 forms it just says to return it to whatever office and gives an address. Could we just post them or hand them in in person before fresher's week?

The whole thing confused me too, so I rang admissions office today: apparently if the form has an address on it you have to post it to that office (i.e the FRS1 Form goes to the treasurer's office). There aren't really closing dates because second rounds applicants have to be considered but asap is what she told me.... ( ya think they would have said that some where in the booklet:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

poppy08 wrote: »
    The whole thing confused me too, so I rang admissions office today: apparently if the form has an address on it you have to post it to that office (i.e the FRS1 Form goes to the treasurer's office). There aren't really closing dates because second rounds applicants have to be considered but asap is what she told me.... ( ya think they would have said that some where in the booklet:rolleyes:)

So we just post the FRS1/ yellow form to the treasurers office?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Craguls wrote: »
    So we just post the FRS1/ yellow form to the treasurers office?

yup! also the GS1 form for grants (if you qualify for it) along to treasurers office and the Garda Vetting form (if you need it) to Susan whatever her name is at the other office...simple enough eh?...now to go pay the registration fees....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Quick question: Is it true that it's legal to shoot Catholics from the tower on Sundays?

Feck!:eek: It's the Shankill Rd. all over again!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Same I rang the Treasurer's office and they told me that when you send in the FRS1 form they send you out the registration fee form. Then you go to your bank and pay it with the form, quoting your name and student/CAO number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Deadly! So has anybody got some advice for freshers week? What we should definitely do? or anything? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Don't buy a week long ents ticket. Buy tickets for individual events.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Sorry if this has been asked before, but when is Freshers Week this year? I'm in the US til the 7th and would hate to miss tapping some first years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

gaybitch wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but when is Freshers Week this year? I'm in the US til the 7th and would hate to miss tapping some first years.

On the prowl 09

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

andrew wrote: »
    Don't buy a week long ents ticket. Buy tickets for individual events.

Yeah srsly dont. So much better to just decide where you are going on the day rather than have some stupid ticket tell you. The SU events aren't the only things going on and definately arent the best.
    Boston wrote: »
    Learn how to use a ****ing condom. Don't carry them around in your wallet/hand bag.

Where else are you meant to carry them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Peleus wrote: »
    You buy them when you need them or else store them in a cool dry place where they won't get damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Peleus wrote: »

Around your neck like a perverted set of dog tags.

And Re: the whole week long ticket thing. I got one last year and through a compulsion to get value out of it I had completely burnt out be the time I got home on Wed night and didn't leave the house for a couple of days. I lost a pair of trousers. That's value.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

poppy08 wrote: »
    yup! also the GS1 form for grants (if you qualify for it) along to treasurers office and the Garda Vetting form (if you need it) to Susan whatever her name is at the other office...simple enough eh?...now to go pay the registration fees....

Crap I've gone and paid on my fees on the epay thing but haven't gone near them forms, thought we did them during freshers week! The booklet is very badly explained.

Anyone know if i'll have any problems or will it be ok if I send the forms on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Gosh, for a second there I thought you meant 7th October. Assuming you mean September, you should have plenty of time to stock up on lube and sweeties to seduce small-cocked freshmen. Freshers' Week begins on the 21st with lectures following the week after. Mmm, sex.

Thanks macgowan, we should hook up, swap black books. If you keep up this fantastic attitude I might let you become my wingman. In time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

So how long are lectures/labs/tutorials or whatnot on average?

Advertisement