Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Is it REALLLY true that Arts is only a 4 day week??!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

It depends on your subject choice, and tutorials and labs etc etc

And even if you get a 4 day week in First Year, you won't get it all through your degree. I had Fridays off in First year and had a 5 day week in Second Year, think it's the same for me next year.

Also don't go celebrating as soon as the timetable comes out if it does transpire that you don't have any timetabled subjects on certain day. Tutorials and labs will getcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Is it REALLLY true that Arts is only a 4 day week??!!!:pac:

It all depends on your choice of subjects, but a four day week is common enough amid various combinations.

Edit: allandanyways beat me to the beef!

Edit: allandanyways beat me to the beef!

In the words of Nelson Muntz...

Haw Haw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

hope this is right place to ask. just wondering if anyone knows what it costs to visit the doctor at the student medical centre on campus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Síle28 wrote: »
    hope this is right place to ask. just wondering if anyone knows what it costs to visit the doctor at the student medical centre on campus?

Free!

Assuming no drastic budget cuts this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

That's great. Yeah I saw on the UCD forum that it's gone from free to €25!

I suppose they probably do have better facilities there though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Hey anybody have this problem last year? My Debs is on the 16th and my orienteering is the 16th/17th.. if I compromise and say I'll register at the time assigned do you think they'll let me do the orienteering on the Mon and Tues with the rest of Arts? Damn the alphabet.. and the Debs..:mad:

Hey anybody have this problem last year? My Debs is on the 16th and my orienteering is the 16th/17th.. if I compromise and say I'll register at the time assigned do you think they'll let me do the orienteering on the Mon and Tues with the rest of Arts? Damn the alphabet.. and the Debs..:mad:

Dont worry about it, its not essential if it comes down to it. They wont check your name or anything, go along to any orientation you want.

Post here and we will orient you. There's not much to it: dont do drugs, watch your drink, canteen burned down so bring sandwiches, dont look at the clock and watch out for the phatom blood stain in rhetoric!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

efla wrote: »
    Free!

Assuming no drastic budget cuts this year

WOW free doctor!!!!

Cool!!!!

efla PM sent about this to you!!

• Advertisement

ontour wrote: »
    Have any of you started off in Maynooth knowing nobody? :o Starting to get worried now, lol :rolleyes: I actually don't even know anybody in the entire college. Plus I'm 24 so I'll be a 'mature' :eek: student... Although in my mind I'm still seventeen :D

I did, didn't know a soul! You cant but make friends in Maynooth. Lectures, tutorials, the registration queue, canteen, clubs, societies, nights out... You wont be able to remember names after a while. I'm 25 and still meeting new people after five years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Its true. I make a new friend a month. I'm not even nice to people.

efla wrote: »
    Dont worry about it, its not essential if it comes down to it. They wont check your name or anything, go along to any orientation you want.

Post here and we will orient you. There's not much to it: dont do drugs, watch your drink, canteen burned down so bring sandwiches, dont look at the clock and watch out for the phatom blood stain in rhetoric!

Thanks for advice ;). I witnessed the canteen burning down. Livened up that open day for us..

It's the 'Curse of the Maynooth Open Day'. Seriously.

My open day some guy fell off a wall, banged his head and died. In my first year it was loads of guys in white suits with Geiger counters around North Campus. In my second year there was a mumps outbreak. This year the canteen burned down. It's been getting exponentially worse.

Looking forward to next year.

banquo wrote: »
    I'm not even nice to people.

Give. Over.

banquo is very friendly/adept at library stalking. As are most boardsies here.

Alandanyways is pretty friendly too. Who else would forgive a surprise backrub from a stranger so quickly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

mp3guy wrote: »
    It's being thrown up inbetween the Arts Block/EEng Building/Callan, that small stretch of grass that used to be a walk way.

oh, so thats what that thing is that blocks my way over the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Bought an internet cable today. Cat5e. Is it possible to use this one in UK and Ireland as well? I know I'll need an adapter to the computer, but the cable should be fine, right?

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Wendero wrote: »
    Bought an internet cable today. Cat5e. Is it possible to use this one in UK and Ireland as well? I know I'll need an adapter to the computer, but the cable should be fine, right?

/John

They're the same. They give you one anyway when you move in. I'll hold you hand when you're coming, just to make sure you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Haha, thanks beau. But... wash your hands before, okay? I don't want to get a cold or something:(

Okay, then I made a malinvestment today. Or, I would have made one, if I had paid for it;)

Don't worry Beau, I think I'm done asking things. Btw, I got to know today that I can pay the registration fee and student levy in cash - fees office was late getting back to me so I was considering asking here, but didn't want you to get a heart attack:P

/John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

fees office was late getting back to me so I was considering asking here, but didn't want you to get a heart attack:P

Phew! Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

banquo wrote: »
    My open day some guy fell off a wall, banged his head and died. In my first year it was loads of guys in white suits with Geiger counters around North Campus. In my second year there was a mumps outbreak. This year the canteen burned down. It's been getting exponentially worse.

Wow... What was all the radioactivity doing in North campus?

Er... Is it bad that I don't know when I'm starting yet? All my mates going to different colleges seem to know all their dates, and there was a post earlier in this thread about the 16th... I haven't received anything from the college yet. I'm doing arts.

Is there a struggle to get your preferred subjects in arts? Demand > Supply? If I miss out on music I'll freak out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

El Pr0n wrote: »

Er... Is it bad that I don't know when I'm starting yet? All my mates going to different colleges seem to know all their dates, and there was a post earlier in this thread about the 16th... I haven't received anything from the college yet. I'm doing arts.

Is there a struggle to get your preferred subjects in arts? Demand > Supply? If I miss out on music I'll freak out.

I don't think there's a restriction on the number of students per class... That only comes in to play in certain subjects in 2nd year.

I went to DCU for a year and missed all the orientation stuff because I got the dates wrong. Turned up at what I thought was the first event, but was actually the last. The guy was like ''Oh, no, wait, there's still one thing left... (consults list in hand)... a tour of the disabled facilities''.

It turned out to be a trip around all the disabled toilets in DCU. I was the only one and it was still pointless because, even if I was disabled, they're all beside the regular toilets. There are signs everywhere.

I recommend attending orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

/John

Nearly every computer made in the past 10 years has a port for a cat5 cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

@banquo^That is perhaps the worst story I've ever seen on the internet. But I'm sure it sounds great when drunk.

El Pr0n wrote: »

Well if your surname is towards the end of alphabet your pack might just arrive today or something because my friend got hers monday and she's a B and I didn't mine until weds.. the orienteering is going in alphabetical order aswell. I'd give them a ring if you don't get it soon..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

wasnt the geiger counter & ABC suit thing because some russian scientist got radiation poisoning while visiting Maynooth? As far as I can remember it was all very bond/cloak and dagger stuff. they reckon he was poisoned and the effects hit him while he was in maynooth..

LoLth wrote: »
    wasnt the geiger counter & ABC suit thing because some russian scientist got radiation poisoning while visiting Maynooth? As far as I can remember it was all very bond/cloak and dagger stuff. they reckon he was poisoned and the effects hit him while he was in maynooth..

That was it, what happened with that whole....thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Advertisement