Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

peanuthead wrote: »
    If you're commuting I would think it would be either better to get a part-time job in dublin at weekends, or a part time job in Maynooth during the week.

You could look at moving to maynooth - the rent seems really reasonable

Yeah my income= 0 so I need the job first. Hoping to move out next year :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Where are you commuting from?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Where are you commuting from?

Cabra (Broombridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Cabra (Broombridge)

Broombridge mightn't be too bad for a few months if you were planning on moving out. As a (former) Dub myself the best decision I made was moving to Maynooth for college, better nightlife, much closer friends and of course the ability to skip lectures without my mother pestering me "did you go to college today?" and so on. But then again, I know plenty of people that commute and don't mind it at all, at the end of the day you will always find a floor to crash on after a boozy night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Have any of you started off in Maynooth knowing nobody? :o Starting to get worried now, lol :rolleyes: I actually don't even know anybody in the entire college. Plus I'm 24 so I'll be a 'mature' :eek: student... Although in my mind I'm still seventeen :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

24 isn't really mature student material. 24 is like, you're still young enough to go drinking on a Tuesday night but you'll just make an effort to go to your 10am lecture on a Wednesday :p. The 'dreaded' mature students are the ones who are in their 40's/50's and irk younger students because they do all the work and ask questions and loads of other annoying stuff (well, stuff 17 year olds deem annoying :rolleyes:) and basically make younger students who haven't bothered doing any work look ba. You'll be grand. You're the 'cool' kind of mature student :P

Also, don't worry about not knowing anyone won't be a problem. Maynooth is super friendly. :)

24 isn't really mature student material. 24 is like, you're still young enough to go drinking on a Tuesday night but you'll just make an effort to go to your 10am lecture on a Wednesday :p. The 'dreaded' mature students are the ones who are in their 40's/50's and irk younger students because they do all the work and ask questions and loads of other annoying stuff (well, stuff 17 year olds deem annoying :rolleyes:) and basically make younger students who haven't bothered doing any work look ba. You'll be grand. You're the 'cool' kind of mature student :P

Also, don't worry about not knowing anyone won't be a problem. Maynooth is super friendly. :)

Thanks thats reassured me. :) Can't wait to start. Also just one more question, does it take long to get your timetable after you register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

I knew no one when I came to Maynooth but ended up getting to know load of people though I was a bit younger (turned 19 a month into 1st year) but now I have the problem of a lot of my mates are finished college as they did a 3 year course and I am doing a 4 year course. Also I have found that people who know people in before going to college will stay in them groups and will tend not to know anyone else. My advice would be join a few clubs and socs, I got to know loads of people through them clubs. Anyway everyone is super friendly in 1st year because its all new to them.

Timetables will be up here soon
    http://www.maths.may.ie/staff/dredmond/timetable/

And the next few years will fly like I cant really believe im going into my 4th and final year. :eek:

EDIT:
    Also the nightlife in Maynooth is great!
    At the start I hated it and I always went out in Dublin with my friends from school but once I got to know a few people I started to go out more and more in Maynooth. Last year it was Monday - O'Neills, Wednesday - Bradys and Thursday - Roost but now with this new club where the old LA was (which I loved) is going to mess this all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

ontour wrote: »
    Have any of you started off in Maynooth knowing nobody? :o Starting to get worried now, lol :rolleyes: I actually don't even know anybody in the entire college. Plus I'm 24 so I'll be a 'mature' :eek: student... Although in my mind I'm still seventeen :D
    Don't worry about it, both myself and good member of my circle of friends knew nobody coming to maynooth, and he was 24 also! Just ask Rozabeez/Moggins7 :D
    Hurrah for mature students!

*Coughs*Hatethatguy*coughs*

• Advertisement

Haha thanks you all have definitely made me feel better!! I'm commuting for the first year I tink cos I won't be able to afford rent but hopefully I'll still get to go out a bit! Only place I seen I could kind of afford was on daft.ie a hostel or religious place for €50 a week near campus and all! But didn't know what it would be like!

You could easily get a box room for mabe 60 euro a week... in fairness commuting is pretty expensive, between work and college I spent about 40 euro a week going to and from Maynooth in the term time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Kazuma wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, both myself and good member of my circle of friends knew nobody coming to maynooth, and he was 24 also! Just ask Rozabeez/Moggins7 :D
    Hurrah for mature students!

Ah yeah, ignore me, moggins gets a mention and he doesn't even post here anymore. Bastard :mad:

Blonde moment lol, place is actually €200 a week :eek::o

There was another place that said it was 100 a month for a single room, MUST have meant weekly but the room is gone now anyway. Booo :(

Anyone wanna share a twin room with me at 80 a month so? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

ontour wrote: »
    Blonde moment lol, place is actually €200 a week :eek::o

Big difference!!

Ah no there are places ALOT cheaper than that. I was seeing places for 160 a MONTH!!! on daft

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Ah yeah, ignore me, moggins gets a mention and he doesn't even post here anymore. Bastard :mad:
    I forgot your boardsie name, sorreh :(
    Moggins has posted here! Like...once? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Kazuma wrote: »
    I forgot your boardsie name, sorreh :(
    Moggins has posted here! Like...once? :D

You may buy my nachos in order to earn your forgiveness :cool:

Another question

Is there wireless internet available throughout campus?? Can it be got from inside the lecture halls??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Another question

Is there wireless internet available throughout campus?? Can it be got from inside the lecture halls??

Yeah it's all over campus as far as I know. If you sit at the back of JH1 you'll see like 50 people on facebook on their laptops :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Another question

Yep, here are the maps of wireless signal for the North and South campuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

The cost of living is 220 euros per week according to the uni, if you have a river apartment. Does this sound about right, or should one expect lower/higher costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Got accepted for the HDip in software engineering. When/should I be expecting to receive documents about paying the fees and registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Another question

Its in most Lecture halls in the north campus now. Not in the river and rye hall apartments (They have a wired network)

Yeah it's all over campus as far as I know. If you sit at the back of JH1 you'll see like 50 people on facebook on their laptops :P

lol cheers!!

that sounds good. In that case I may buy a new laptop for college, as the other one's broken!!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Music tuition question.
    Are the teachers the college provides RIAM exam aimed, or more so just stuff to get you through the college ourse?
    And if I chose to return to my RIAM teacher, how much does the college pay, as in what is the cut off?
    akward sort of question, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I think it was 736 for a semester for my teacher. So yeah, you can opt to keep your external teacher.

If you go with a college teacher, then you can tell them what exam you're doing.

Well I'd be aiming to do the Diploma with the RIAM by Christmas.

€736 a semester?! I only pay €275 a semester, so would all of that be covered then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I could be waaaay off, but yes, that'd be cool.

• Advertisement

Woo great thanks!! Can't wait to get going, got my handbooks and stuff in the post today :D

Advertisement