Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm a post grad so I think I'll check it out, thanks.!

Well at the moment everyone can eat there because the Canteen is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Post grads and lecturers afaik

Postgrad this year, w00t! Now I can actually sit in there without feeling like I should leave :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Lol thank ye all lol I had forgotten about the fire down in the canteen ha I remember hearing all the sirens from the house, one of the students came home & told me what happened :D priceless open day & all!

With regards to parking this is a trick one lad learned he either parked at the GAA or Aldi depending on what part of campus he was going to, if he couldn't get parking or couldn't be bothered driving around & it only meant a couple mins walk for him

I drove most days of second semester and I never once had a problem finding parking!

Lol thank ye all lol I had forgotten about the fire down in the canteen ha I remember hearing all the sirens from the house, one of the students came home & told me what happened :D priceless open day & all!

With regards to parking this is a trick one lad learned he either parked at the GAA or Aldi depending on what part of campus he was going to, if he couldn't get parking or couldn't be bothered driving around & it only meant a couple mins walk for him

Only thing I would say about this is that it can pose security risk, have heard of cars being broken into in the Aldi car park. At least on Campus there is something of a security presence, especially during the dark evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Harpie wrote: »
    Only thing I would say about this is that it can pose security risk, have heard of cars being broken into in the Aldi car park. At least on Campus there is something of a security presence, especially during the dark evenings.

Getting broke into would be the least of my worries in the winter cos on the frosty nights the campus & Aldi car parks get used for car skating!!! The GAA is grand to park never hear of anything getting damaged there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 crammer123

I'm a post grad so I think I'll check it out, thanks.

This is a great thread for all those little questions!

I have to say I think NUIM's website is seriously lacking for general info or else it just has a terrible layout as I can't find anything.

For example, they seem to have info on restaurants/cafes around the town but no info on restaurants/cafes/shops on campus?!
    yea your right it is hard to find info on the website...maybe this might help:rolleyes:.
    http://studentservices.nuim.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

crammer123 wrote: »
    yea your right it is hard to find info on the website...maybe this might help:rolleyes:.
    http://studentservices.nuim.ie/

I'm not sure if those roll-eyes are sarcastically implying it actually is easy to find info, or not.... but I genuinely could not find that info - I tried searching for "food", "facilities", "shops" etc but didn't see what I needed.

Thanks for the link though - that is exactly what I need - very helpful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'm a post grad so I think I'll check it out, thanks.

This is a great thread for all those little questions!

I have to say I think NUIM's website is seriously lacking for general info or else it just has a terrible layout as I can't find anything.

For example, they seem to have info on restaurants/cafes around the town but no info on restaurants/cafes/shops on campus?!

Canteen was better imo. More selection and loads of little things like muffins and...all that stuff that used to be in the fridge. Pugin is nice for quiet time.

You're limited on campus, and more so in town now that the rye is gone. Sad day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Any car parked in Aldi for any amount of time will get clamped.

Seen loads of people get done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Whats this about registration on 4th??? I never heard anything of this??

I'm a postgrad so Im assuming this registration isn't applicable to me - I 'registered' through PAC in april, for the postgrad diploma in ed??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm doing the PGDE too. We have to reg on the 4th too - it was listed on that "Important Dates" sheet we got with the Teaching Practice forms and all that.

I'm doing the PGDE too. We have to reg on the 4th too - it was listed on that "Important Dates" sheet we got with the Teaching Practice forms and all that.

This is me alright, organised down to the last detail ... except the most important ones!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 crammer123

I'm not sure if those roll-eyes are sarcastically implying it actually is easy to find info, or not.... but I genuinely could not find that info - I tried searching for "food", "facilities", "shops" etc but didn't see what I needed.

Thanks for the link though - that is exactly what I need - very helpful. :)

no they were helpful eyes! sorry if you thought i was being sarcastic... i agree that it is totally hard to find anything on the website.. its not layed out very well at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

First year registration takes place from 14th - 18th of September, here is a link for the important dates.

http://registrar.nuim.ie/ImportantDates.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Okay, I have a newbie question: How do you know where your apartment is located? Like, on what floor? I received an email, but I don't think it said anything about that, at least not directly (there were something like "room info" but I don't understand what it means).

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Wendero wrote: »
    Okay, I have a newbie question

Well thats a surprise...

To answer your 173rd question, most apartments have 3 floors (some have four). In the village apartments there are 4 apartments on each floor, so if you are in 1,2,3 or 4 you are on the first floor and so on. In the River Apartments there are two apartments per floor, I think you might be able to work that one out yourself.

It'll be interesting to see if you will offer any value to this forum when you get here.

Beau wrote: »
    Well thats a surprise...

To answer your 173rd question, most apartments have 3 floors (some have four). In the village apartments there are 4 apartments on each floor, so if you are in 1,2,3 or 4 you are on the first floor and so on. In the River Apartments there are two apartments per floor, I think you might be able to work that one out yourself.

It'll be interesting to see if you will offer any value to this forum when you get here.

This looks a bit harsh...until you look at our inquisitive friend's post history- Jesus H. Christ!

I'm sorry that I'm asking so much. And if you by "offer any value" mean "answer any questions", then yes, I will.

Thanks anyway.

/John

Ah c'mon lads. Let's be nice. He has questions he needs answers to. He's asked politely and it's not like he's asking ridiculous questions either. Give him a break!

Eta: All of us have been in the same situation where we've been starting somewhere new with no idea what to expect, it's nervewracking for anyone and he's just trying to prepare himself the best he can before he gets there, which is the smart thing to do. He (from what I've read) is coming to NUIM from abroad so that makes it all the more hard for him. Let's take it easy on him :)

• Advertisement

Thanks michellenman. Yes, I'm from abroad. From the north of Sweden, to be precise (NO, we don't have polar bears here, that's a myth).

I'll just hope that someone else can read the threads I've posted and get answers to their question.

I think it's fair that if I can't manage the studying, then I shouldn't be at university. If I fail courses, I should go home and try something easier. That's okay, I can take it. But I don't want to fail at university because I know too little about the uni, about accomodation, because I've been too shy to ask questions. THAT would be a failure.

/John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

There is a bar on campus...isn't there??!!!:o

There sure is.

But then again, there are around 7 or 8 other pubs/clubs in walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Anyone else 17 starting? How easy/hard is it to get around this unfortunate predicament for two months?:(

You'll get a special underage armband so you don't ingest any alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Anyone else 17 starting? How easy/hard is it to get around this unfortunate predicament for two months?:(

I had to deal with it until March of the following year, it's not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Part-time jobs in Maynooth? Where are the best places to look for a few hours a week?? :)

Holsten wrote: »
    You'll get a special underage armband so you don't ingest any alcohol!

I'm not sure whether you're joking or not but that would be bearable.. alcohol can be snuck in in the strangest places...;)

K4t wrote: »
    Part-time jobs in Maynooth? Where are the best places to look for a few hours a week?? :)

Ah there's another question(sorry).. if you're commuting good idea to work in Maynooth or better to look for jobs in Dublin?(some hope)

• Advertisement

Ah there's another question(sorry).. if you're commuting good idea to work in Maynooth or better to look for jobs in Dublin?(some hope)

If you're commuting I would think it would be either better to get a part-time job in dublin at weekends, or a part time job in Maynooth during the week.

You could look at moving to maynooth - the rent seems really reasonable

Advertisement