Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

*breathes a sigh of relief*

Well, those early reviews are promising. I was expecting something of this caliber would be meticuoisliilly (sp?) sneered at. I still think the story will be a bit naff but Cameron usually holds it together and I just want my eyeballs to raped by the new technology.

After following this from 4 years ago when it was James Cameron's Untitled Project I just have to wait...................one...............more.................week!!!!

Though knowing my luck I'll be blinded in an accident on my way to the cinema :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 premiercounty

I see Vue in Liffey Valley are taking bookings for the 2D and 3D. I assume they supply the funny glasses for the 3d in the ticket price. Anyone confirm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Without revealing too much, the Guardian in the U.K gives it a pretty scathing review. First negetive review I have come across (of about four) from a reputable source.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec/11/avatar-james-cameron-film-review?CMP=AFCYAH

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes, they've steered me wrong a good few times; Drag Me To Hell was the last straw!

I know that the 3D/CGI will be absolutely AMAZING in Avatar, but is the story any good? Like would the film still be decent if it didn't have 3D CGI? Every comment I've heard (pre-review time) has said that "it looks amazing" "wow I have to get a 3DTV now" etc etc but nothing about the STORY!

How would you rate the story/characters/dialogue/plot etc? (i.e. everything that's not the 3D CGI) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Liber8or wrote: »
    Without revealing too much, the Guardian in the U.K gives it a pretty scathing review. First negetive review I have come across (of about four) from a reputable source.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec/11/avatar-james-cameron-film-review?CMP=AFCYAH

I was about to read it, opened the link, then saw the screen shot of avatar and just started looking at that instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Am i the only one not really excited about seeing this? I hope im wrong and it is great but something about they hype surrounding it has left me expecting the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

same here.sighing with relief:D:D now we just need to wait for 18th???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Am I the only one who was left unimpressed by the CGI in trailers, so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Am I the only one who was left unimpressed by the CGI in trailers, so far?

You are not alone - when I saw the trailer first it looked exactly like the Battle of Kashyykk in Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith.

However, I am assuming it will be impressive when viewed in 3D! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hem

I'm going to see it but I'm apprehensive. A bit like the new Star Trek premier earlier this year.

• Advertisement

You are not alone - when I saw the trailer first it looked exactly like the Battle of Kashyykk in Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith.

However, I am assuming it will be impressive when viewed in 3D! :)

That's it though, I saw the trailer in 3-D. I thought A Christmas Carol had much better graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Kiith wrote: »
    La la la la la la la la la la

I'm not looking at any of this....

If anyone posts anything revealing about this (plot etc) without spoiler tags they should be sitebanned.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Elessar wrote: »
    Jim Cameron has never failed to revolutionise cinema. That's a good track record in my books.

Yes, but the track record is based on looking at what he's done, so why not let the work speak for itself? I'd prefer it if people waited until the world has had a chance to see what he's done with Avatar before spaffing over themselves about how revolutionary it is. (Aside from which is the fact that the world's most spectacular effects are no substitute for a story well told, no matter how hard the likes of Michael Bay try to pretend otherwise...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Fysh wrote: »
    Yes, but the track record is based on looking at what he's done, so why not let the work speak for itself? I'd prefer it if people waited until the world has had a chance to see what he's done with Avatar before spaffing over themselves about how revolutionary it is. (Aside from which is the fact that the world's most spectacular effects are no substitute for a story well told, no matter how hard the likes of Michael Bay try to pretend otherwise...)

Both Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg have reportedly been blown away by this film, two guys who know what a good story is.

I am confident I will like this. Jim Cameron has not put a foot wrong film-wise IMO and I have seen nothing so far in Avatar to make me doubt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

hmmm, it will be interesting what the general opinion is 2-3 years from now, when all the expectation and desire for it to be amazing has evaporated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Or does one have to travel to Dublin........ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Morlar wrote: »
    If anyone posts anything revealing about this (plot etc) without spoiler tags they should be sitebanned.

Am I missing something? From the trailer it just looks like dances with wolves in 3-D, whats to spoil? Will go see it eventually i suppose, but honestly don't see why everyone is acting like they'll have to bring an extra pair of trousers to the cinema, in case they cream the first ones first half way through? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'l go see, but there are very few 3D screens in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Both Storm and the Omniplex screens, have tickets booked for Wednesday, cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Am I missing something? From the trailer it just looks like dances with wolves in 3-D, whats to spoil?

No, no, no. It's Dances With Smurfs!

We'll see. I was really excited and then less excited and then a little worried and now I think it's averaged out. I'll see it, but I probably won't see it in its first weekend.

I think it's a good sign that the reviews are positive - this isn't the kind of "art" that causes critics to pull their punches (like Oscar-bait), I imagine some of the print media were ready to tear it to pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I see Vue in Liffey Valley are taking bookings for the 2D and 3D. I assume they supply the funny glasses for the 3d in the ticket price. Anyone confirm ?

I don't know about Liffey Valley but when I saw Up at Cineworld in 3D, I had to buy the glasses on top of paying extra for the 3D tickets. IIRC, it was only 80 cents per pair but it is a bit of a PITA. Also, I thought the ushers would be selling them when you went to take your seat but you had to buy them at the snack bars.

Cineworld don't charge for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Cineworld don't charge for them.

They did when I went there about a month ago.

JJ wrote: »

And they didn't when I went in there last week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

JJ wrote: »

It's a new thing, last time I was in the cinema, I saw a sign saying they're about to start charging for 3D glasses, or you could bring your own and save a little money on your ticket price. So I stole a few pairs :)

I don't know if those 3D glasses-bins are there, but I'd recommend stealing some after you watch a film...or just keep the ones you buy LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have not seen a 3D film in Storm, but have seen two films in 3D in two different Omniplexes and they were bloody awful from a tech pov. A throwback to 3D screenings in the 1990's in the USA.

UP and Final Destination 3D were what I saw at the Omniplex in Cork and Waterford. Limerick has been kitted out with the same Barco digital projector with the same Masterimage 3D tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He lost me in the first paragraph:
    For a while, it looked like he was giving us a reasonably sweet-natured blockbuster, suggesting that the natural world has, like, the power to heal us all, or something. Then Cameron sends in the helicopter gunships and starts blowing **** up, big time. Way to undermine your own message
    Or way to miss the message completely on behalf of the reviewer?

I hate it when critics go out of their way to be seen to hate something that is popular just so they can look different. It's so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    He lost me in the first paragraph:

Or way to miss the message completely on behalf of the reviewer?

I hate it when critics go out of their way to be seen to hate something that is popular just so they can look different. It's so obvious.

Exactly, its the equivalent of saying Cameron made a nice little romantic movie about two people from different classes, then went ahead and ruined it by having an iceberg turn up and wreck everything, newspaper critics suck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

krudler wrote: »
    newspaper critics suck anyway

JUst thought I'd quote that so everyone can see it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Very biased article from the Faily Fail today, as usual any bad quotes are attributed to "insiders":

"Websites have called the film an alien version of Dances With Wolves - a notoriously costly gamble - while special half-hour previews of Avatar, released earlier this year, played to almost empty theatres"

1. Dances cost $19m and made $424m worldwide
    2. First I've heard of "almost empty theatres"

"At a high-security screening earlier this week (in typical control-freak fashion, everyone there had to sign a contract stating they would not review the film until Monday) the reaction was profoundly mixed"

Although it sounds like the writer wasn't at the screening at all, and cribbed all their research online and made up a few "insiders"

"More worryingly for Cameron, the 3D effects, which are supposed to mean that Avatar is the 'first film of the future', left several viewers feeling nauseous. 'I definitely would not eat before seeing the film,' one told me."

Again nearly every review I've read has dispelled any notion of motion sickness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1235154/Has-James-Cameron-Hollywoods-scariest-man-blown-200-million-biggest-movie-flop-ever.html#ixzz0ZUdSpjUZ

Advertisement