Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i dont like the look of this film at all, and it does look animated despite the fact it isnt

hopefully ill be pleasantly surprised with it but not holding out any hope

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm more worried about the hammy story than the visuals, I want my eyeballs to be fùcked in 3D and top off an overall good year for movies.

Though I think too much of this film is being shown in previews and featurettes. If ya don't want to know much about this film then steer clear of them.

I just can't wait to see the explosive climactic fight at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yep the story seems a bit rubbish but im guessing it will probably be a bit different to what ive read, cameron usually delivers im just worried he got a bit carried away in the effects department this time, which is saying something considering his track record

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

To be honest its one weekend away and the marketing is certainly lacking at the moment .
    Iv only watched one trailer and i prefer to keep it that way with some mistique .
    If they wanted mass appeal they will put an ad on during xfactor tonight or somethin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Hey,

Anyone know if Avatar is only going on general release in 3d?

I find 3d movies very difficult to watch, very uncomfortable and I just dont think the effect is worth it to be honest with you?

All I can see so far in pre bookings is 3D showings??

Any 2D releases?

/Marc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Yes, there is a 2D release as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

irlmarc wrote: »
    Hey,

Anyone know if Avatar is only going on general release in 3d?

I find 3d movies very difficult to watch, very uncomfortable and I just dont think the effect is worth it to be honest with you?

All I can see so far in pre bookings is 3D showings??

Any 2D releases?

/Marc

Afaik cinema's that arent equipped for 3d will be showin it in 2d. Not too sure if you can pre book tickets for the 2d version yet or not. Cant see why you couldnt

God i had it in my head the last few months its out next weekend but its not no no no no no!!!!! NO prebooking being taken in cork yet :(
    I feel like cartman waiting for the wii.
    Guess its off to see where the wild things are instead.

God i had it in my head the last few months its out next weekend but its not no no no no no!!!!! NO prebooking being taken in cork yet :(
    I feel like cartman waiting for the wii.
    Guess its off to see where the wild things are instead.

In fairness that looks really good!!

Got my ticket for Avator 3d like a week ago. Im ridiculously excited!!! But i've already lost the bloody glasses :mad:

Yes, there is a 2D release as well.

Hopefully, no way i could sit through two hours of it. The effect really isnt worth it!

• Advertisement

irlmarc wrote: »
    Hopefully, no way i could sit through two hours of it. The effect really isnt worth it!
    Why headaches ? i wear glasses and throw the ol contacts in when im headin to 3d movies and it works perfect.

In fairness that looks really good!!

Got my ticket for Avator 3d like a week ago. Im ridiculously excited!!! But i've already lost the bloody glasses :mad:
    Your obviously in dublin to say you have been able to prebook and get the glasses ?
    The only thing they took prebookings on down here this year is Twilight :rolleyes:

Why headaches ? i wear glasses and throw the ol contacts in when im headin to 3d movies and it works perfect.

I dont wear glasses I just find the 3D glasses really uncomfortable to wear and it seems to strain my eyes wearing them and i find the glasses a bit to small so my eyes sometimes focus on something outside the edges of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

I'm just wondering if the 3d effects of Avatar in the imax cinemas are going to be somewhat different to the normal 3d showings of the movie. I wanted to take a trip to London over new year's and catch an imax viewing of Avatar, but it looks like that may not happen.
    Also, what's the resoloution like on avatar? Is it made natively for an imax showing or is it just digitally remastered for the imax screens?

Your obviously in dublin to say you have been able to prebook and get the glasses ?
    The only thing they took prebookings on down here this year is Twilight :rolleyes:

Indeed. Got them for Cineworld and ive been counting the days ever since. Everytime the trailor comes on i have a little nerdgasm cos its gettin so close!

If it makes you feel any better, i think the entire world had prebookings for the new twilight movie!

Indeed. Got them for Cineworld and ive been counting the days ever since. Everytime the trailor comes on i have a little nerdgasm cos its gettin so close!

If it makes you feel any better, i think the entire world had prebookings for the new twilight movie!
    well what bothers me more is i head to omniplex which are countrywide so youd think theyd have their asses in gear and sort it . im in cork city .
    I only watched the one trailer and loved it , i hate watchin all the trailers i think it lessens the impact of the movies.

well what bothers me more is i head to omniplex which are countrywide so youd think theyd have their asses in gear and sort it . im in cork city .
    I only watched the one trailer and loved it , i hate watchin all the trailers i think it lessens the impact of the movies.

Ive only seen the one on telly, i refuse to watch the ones that keep popping up on Facebook. Theres so many you could piece them all together and you'd pretty much ahve the entire movie!

Im surprised an Omniplex isnt prebooking it! Maybe they just dont like you.....just a thought...:)

Ive only seen the one on telly, i refuse to watch the ones that keep popping up on Facebook. Theres so many you could piece them all together and you'd pretty much ahve the entire movie!

Im surprised an Omniplex isnt prebooking it! Maybe they just dont like you.....just a thought...:)
    Im only checkin online they mustnt like our sort :(

Im only checkin online they mustnt like our sort :(

Nobody does in fairness................:P

Ah cant complain must say i wasnt happy thinking avatar and where the wild things are were out the same weekend so now they are seperate thats a big plus for me .
    Plenty of showings of where the wild things are :D and i can book my tickets for that if i want :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

... and they're all incredibly positive at this stage of the game.

Rotten Tomatoes

I know I'm sighing with relief. In fairness, I think a lot of people were worried about the film.

Most of the reviews are awed by the technical aspects of the production, but there seems to be a little disagreement on whether the storyline is too simplistic or simply a fairytale.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

Trying so hard not to read anything more about this. I just wanna see it now. I have full trust in James Cameron, I know he won't let me down...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

La la la la la la la la la la

I'm not looking at any of this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kiith wrote: »
    La la la la la la la la la la

I'm not looking at any of this....

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Slightly off topic... I'm planing on seeing this next week in Dundrum, I know one of the screens is the full digital one... but which one will deliver the FULL Avatar impact?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I haven't read the linked page but I don't think it's really surprising, or a useful indicator to the general public, that the advance reviews are positive. A better indicator on the perceived merits of the film will be the overall tenor of reviews and audience commentary a week or two after general release.

(Personally I'm getting sick of hearing about how Avatar is going revolutionise cinema. That may or may not be true, but until we can see the influence Avatar has had on 10 years of film-making, it sounds like an excuse for the film not being enjoyable on its own terms....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭fluke

Fysh wrote: »
    I haven't read the linked page but I don't think it's really surprising, or a useful indicator to the general public, that the advance reviews are positive. A better indicator on the perceived merits of the film will be the overall tenor of reviews and audience commentary a week or two after general release.

(Personally I'm getting sick of hearing about how Avatar is going revolutionise cinema. That may or may not be true, but until we can see the influence Avatar has had on 10 years of film-making, it sounds like an excuse for the film not being enjoyable on its own terms....)

well said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Fysh wrote: »

Jim Cameron has never failed to revolutionise cinema. That's a good track record in my books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I wouldn't take these reviews as proof the film succeeds, but it's reassuring given the vitriol that was unleashed on the back of the first teaser. Looking forward to seeing it next weekend at any rate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

It's James Cameron people!! Shame on anyone who doubted!

Advertisement