Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Ebert liked it

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091211/REVIEWS/912119998

Have to say I'm looking forward to this a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I havent heard any reports of motion sickness in relation to Avatar, or Christmas Carol or any of the other 3D films released recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Galvasean wrote: »
    I havent heard any reports of motion sickness in relation to Avatar, or Christmas Carol or any of the other 3D films released recently.

Daily Mail readers, vomiting at the thought of blue skinned foreigners leaping out of the screen and flocking to Britain, perhaps?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Daily Mail readers, vomiting at the thought of blue skinned foreigners leaping out of the screen and flocking to Britain, perhaps?
    'They took our jobs'
    'Derka der'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

3 days to go before I get to head over to London to see it in the IMAX.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

3 days to go before I get to head over to London to see it in the IMAX.

Jealous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

when does it open , in ireland that is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'll see it Thursday in Limerick, 12.30.....didn't know the film was four hours, wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'll see it Thursday in Limerick, 12.30.....didn't know the film was four hours, wtf!
    math-fail.jpg

162 minutes / 60 minutes = 2 hours, 42 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Wow!! 2h 42m...didnt think it bwas THAT long!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Wow!! 2h 42m...didnt think it bwas THAT long!!!

Same here! :eek:, the show times say starts at 12.30 and ends at 16.15 (ergo...the four hour comment:

http://limerick.stormcinemas.ie/bookingDetails.tpl?showcode=13877

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They're 2 show times Richard.. 12.30 is one showing and 16.15 is the next showing.

It's not the length of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hmmmmm, a few tickets still available for a 3.40am showing in the IMAX in London the night/morning before I fly home to Ireland for the Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, a few tickets still available for a 3.40am showing in the IMAX in London the night/morning before I fly home to Ireland for the Christmas.

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit...

You know you want to...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Very biased article from the Faily Fail today, as usual any bad quotes are attributed to "insiders":

"Websites have called the film an alien version of Dances With Wolves - a notoriously costly gamble - while special half-hour previews of Avatar, released earlier this year, played to almost empty theatres"

1. Dances cost $19m and made $424m worldwide
    2. First I've heard of "almost empty theatres"

It's a rag, but "Avatar Day" was anything but a success. While "almost empty" is overstating things, the attendances were extremely poor given the expectations Fox had.

http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/20553/1/IS-THE-AVATAR-FOOTAGE-PLAYING-TO-HALF-EMPTY-THEATERS/Page1.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Saw it last night - very impressed. One of my all time favourite movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 butterormayo

This is the first review here I think, it gets two thumbs up as Roger Ebert would say;

Avatar adds new dimension to Cameron legend
    http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/ext/avatar001/category/905

Judging from the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes I'll be getting my ticket asap.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/?page=1&critic=approved&sortby=date&name_order=asc&view=#contentReviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 butterormayo

Here's another early review,

http://entertainment.ie/movie_reviews/James-Cameron%27s-Avatar/6420.htm

Cameron doesn't always get it right, (eg The Abyss) but if this is up there with Terminator 2 in terms of a crackin story with plenty of action and strong characters them he might have hit the jackpot again, I saw a trailer for this an thought not another crap CGI gamer type film but then I found out Cameron was the director and that he spent $250 million on it so I looked into it a bit more, looking forward to seeing it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Was anyone at the preview screening in the savoy this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Arciphel wrote: »
    Was anyone at the preview screening in the savoy this morning?

Yeah, but they were all overwhelmed by how awesome it was and exploded.
    That's why they haven't posted yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I'm looking to see this film in regular 2D if possible.
    It still looks very impressive in the regular format I think

I have never been to a 3D movie so I've no idea what its like.
    I'm partially blind in my right eye so I think the experience will be lost on me.

Am I right in saying that all performances of this movie will be in 3D
    Or are there regular ol' 2D shows available?

And if so how can I find out the difference?
    I'm looking to go in Dundrum

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's a rag, but "Avatar Day" was anything but a success. While "almost empty" is overstating things, the attendances were extremely poor given the expectations Fox had.

http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/20553/1/IS-THE-AVATAR-FOOTAGE-PLAYING-TO-HALF-EMPTY-THEATERS/Page1.html

That was back in August, the mainsteam hype hadnt started yet, my mum and dad want to go see this and they havent gone to the cinema together in years, I know 5 people taking the day off work thursday for it, and the 3D showing in my local cinema tomorrow night is almost sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I'm looking to see this film in regular 2D if possible.
    It still looks very impressive in the regular format I think

I have never been to a 3D movie so I've no idea what its like.
    I'm partially blind in my right eye so I think the experience will be lost on me.

Am I right in saying that all performances of this movie will be in 3D
    Or are there regular ol' 2D shows available?

And if so how can I find out the difference?
    I'm looking to go in Dundrum

many thanks

Not sure about Dundrum, but there's definitely 2D versions of Avatar showing in other cinemas - Cineworld on Parnell Street have both 2D and 3D showings, they have it listed as to which it is (some of the screens can show 3D, some can't), but I see on the Dundrum website it's only listed as Avatar 3D, so maybe not there? I'd just give them a call if I were you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Avatar nominated for Golden Globe best picture. Opens in So California this coming Friday, 18 December. Large crowds anticipated for the weekend. I'll probably wait until next week to see it, rather than stand in long lines. Our local IMAX cinema has 3D and a huge screen.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭G1032

2 hours and 40 minutes. Not 4 hours.????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Glad (relieved actually) that it's getting positive reviews - I was worried this would be Lucas/Phantom Menace all over again. And advertising and buzz is finally picking up too. Remember, whatever about this being a new dawn for cinema etc, it HAS to make money or it will just be remembered as that weird blue alien movie or the new Waterworld. Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

Saw it at the preview in the Savoy on Monday evening. We even had to check our phones in so we couldn't take vids or pics.

It's well worth seeing, the 3D effects are really impressive. I've never seen a 3D movie in the cinema before, but this is a completely different experience to the aul red/green 3D specs I've seen before in some crappy horror movies. The story itself is engrossing, it does lag a bit in the middle with the inevitable blue alien love-in, but the action sequences are truly fantastic. Schmaltzy in parts, and not the most amazing script you'll ever hear, but overall it's a pretty unforgettable cinematic experience. And that, I imagine, is what Cameron was aiming for!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Not going to read any more reviews and see it on Friday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Otacon wrote: »
    I am confident I will like this. Jim Cameron has not put a foot wrong film-wise IMO and I have seen nothing so far in Avatar to make me doubt him.

What about Pirahna 2? :p

I'm looking forward to this, all the reviews have said its good. Not sure about the 3D, as I was not impressed with the 3D in the last movie I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Is this a new kind of 3D experience or do you have to wear those stupid specs that give me a headache.

Vue is showing it in 2D and 3D but they are charging a premium for 3D so is it worth it or will I still enjoy the movie in 2D.

I want to go tomorrow so opinions appreciated please.

Advertisement