Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Meh....the CGI is not ground breaking, maybe in 3D mode it looks different?, not convinced by the story or effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ding-dong

Meh....the CGI is not ground breaking, maybe in 3D mode it looks different?, not convinced by the story or effects.

I can confirm that it looks incredible on the big screen in digital 3D. I can also tell you without a doubt it is the most impressive CGI I have ever seen and the the motion capture is impeccable. It's like you're watching the actors in impossible make-up. Obviously, it's hard to tell from the phone/pirate video quality though. I don't know much about the plot other than the basic premise that's shown in the trailer but I do think people are judging this film and its trailer by abnormally high standards. I mean, if that doesn't look like a rip-roaring action/adventure blockbuster, I don't know what does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Woah :eek:

Even though the quality sucked you can see this is a MUCH better trailer.

Certainly a step up from the Beowulf / Polar Express tech.

Now we wait to see if our eyeballs will get fooked (geddit? :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Duggy747 wrote: »

Now we wait to see if our eyeballs will get fooked (geddit? :pac:)

Why yes, yes I did :D

Just merged a few Avatar threads together to make a superthread so we can find older info easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Fantastic trailer and really glad they mentioned Cameron was the director of "The Terminator / Aliens / Terminator 2 / True Lies / Titanic" and gave him his dues. Great score too, was that Horner's for the film or a piece that's been used before? A few parts that really stood out for me:

1. Love Worthington's delivery of "out-standing!"
    2. The shot of Worthington and Saldana swimming after Lang asks if the marine hasn't "got lost in the woods"
    3. The bluey weirdness of the Na'vi is kept to a minimum as they are shown in brief parts and their reveal is built up much better than in the teaser

Question is, how long until this trailer is in Irish cinemas? My friends haven't heard of this film at all and I often see teasers in Irish cinemas at the same time our U.S friends are getting full trailers. The teaser won't sell the film, but this will

• Advertisement

Fantastic trailer and really glad they mentioned Cameron was the director of "The Terminator / Aliens / Terminator 2 / True Lies / Titanic" and gave him his dues. Great score too, was that Horner's for the film or a piece that's been used before? A few parts that really stood out for me:

2. The shot of Worthington and Saldana swimming after Lang asks if the marine hasn't "got lost in the woods"
    3. The bluey weirdness of the Na'vi is kept to a minimum as they are shown in brief parts and their reveal is built up much better than in the teaser

Question is, how long until this trailer is in Irish cinemas? My friends haven't heard of this film at all and I often see teasers in Irish cinemas at the same time our U.S friends are getting full trailers. The teaser won't sell the film, but this will

The trailer is international. It's definitely in the cinemas now. I don't know which cinemas/movies are showing it though...anyone work in a cinema here?

What is with that word lately? Ever since me and the housemate watched A PERFECT GETAWAY about a week ago (Timothy Olyphant always says it in the movie) we've been hearing everywhere since!!

Had to laugh when Sam said it in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cant wait for this, that trailer is a lot more epic than the first one, and just seeing Cameron's list of movies shown on a trailer again is enough to get me excited, welcome back Jim, its been a looong 12 years

High quality brand spankin' new trailer right here folks (Thai subtitles I'm afraid):

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/67549361/file.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That trailer was class.

Shows too much of the actual plot but **** me that was a great trailer, just seeing the words "from the director of Terminator, Aliens, T2, True Lies and Titanic" on screen was enough to reduce me to a dribbling fanboy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Just booked my tickets for Avatar for the 18th of December at the BFI IMAX in London. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Much better 2nd trailer. Its still the same hackneyed plot we assumed it would be it has been fleshed out at least. Still sceptical though as the alien stuff looks pretty hokey. And god damn it that Rodriguez girl is in it, I wonder if she'll be playing another "spunky" type?

Originally Posted by speedboatchase viewpost.gif
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    What is with that word lately? Ever since me and the housemate watched A PERFECT GETAWAY about a week ago (Timothy Olyphant always says it in the movie) we've been hearing everywhere since!!

Had to laugh when Sam said it in the trailer.

For the definitive delivery of the word see Gary Busey in Under Siege

And god damn it that Rodriguez girl is in it, I wonder if she'll be playing another "spunky" type?

I hate her too, all she ever plays is the feisty mexican chick, she looks like a poor mans Vasquez from Aliens in this

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

This is starting to look epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Se7en

I dunno, I'm not convinced.

I saw some clips at the Comic Con in San Diego with the 3-D and while it looks quite nice, I dont know how mind-blowing its gonna be.

Plus the story is essentially Pocahontas in space, which I'm not hugely interested in seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

krudler wrote: »
    I hate her too, all she ever plays is the feisty mexican chick, she looks like a poor mans Vasquez from Aliens in this

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Of course Cameron always has a feisty female lead but Rodreguez is no Weaver, Hamilton, Curtis, Winslit, hell she is no Mastrantonio.

Is Weaver the only Cameron returning actor? I'm sure he could have found a part for Paxton!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I have been known to go over to the IMAX in London for 'showcase' movies but am wondering will my local cinema that has digital projection & 3D capability suffice -given these recessionary times!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

A friend of mine was shown footage from Avatar by Cameron in LA last week.

I'm extremely jealous.

• Advertisement

Is Weaver the only Cameron returning actor? I'm sure he could have found a part for Paxton!

Michael Biehn apparantley auditioned for parts but Cameron didn't take him on cuz he didn't want people to think of this as another Aliens.

That guy should've had a bigger career but he didn't want to go down that path, so instead he just starred in a lot of ropey movies.

Boo! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Second trailer now up on traileraddict in HD:
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/avatar/trailer-b

*drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Second trailer now up on traileraddict in HD:
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/avatar/trailer-b

*drools*

Looks much better than the first trailer. Pity they gave away the entire plot though. I hope that's just the first 20 mins of it :)

To be honest I think I'm gonna be disappointed with the story.

I smell simple people versus evil corporation undertones. Plus I never warmed to the idea of a human falling in love with an alien storyline in films, I find it naff.

In Shatner's case though, it's okay to shag green women. ;)

Plenty of jaw-dropping moments and guns will keep me happy which I have full confidence in Cameron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

anybody else see the trailer looks brill

wonder whats it about:confused::confused::confused::confused:

would it be suitable for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

its been in the worx for a very long time so i hope i havent over hyped this for myself. Didnt work start 12 years ago?

Still should be a very good film - one of those you must see in the cinema alright

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm sure some people still wont be able to see past the fact that its animated. I personally cant wait though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Going over to london in December to watch it on imax, thats how excited i am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

nix wrote: »
    Going over to london in December to watch it on imax, thats how excited i am :D

Me too. December 18th, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Caught the extended 3D trailer before Christmas Carol, was blown away! Tell me, is the iMax experience much better than the standard 3D? Whats the difference?

Advertisement