Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** General "points" thread **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

snazzy wrote: »
    First choice:

Applied Languages in UL :D
    Thank god. There were only 20 places.
    Anyone know the points for it this year? They aren't on aertel?!My best friend has missed out Nursing by FIVE points and I'm really really upset for her but I don't think she's up yet but don't want to wake her with the bad news! :confused:

Points are on the CAO site now - under 'Points' (not trying to be funny or anything).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Le Cuid A wrote: »
    I'm so confused, I got 315 points in my leaving cert and put down Product Design as my #1 choice which is 305, but instead I was offered my 3rd choice, which is DCU business, which is 420 points, I got 105 points less than the requirements, and they offer it to me, WTF, I set my heart on product design, I don't want to do business :[
    They shouldn't be offering you your third choice before your first choice anyway, if you have the points for your first choice??

If all info is as you have quoted, something very strange there!!

Product design where, btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

rois! wrote: »
    still like a month later than ucd...
    where can u see the leaving points for this yr without leaving my bed!?

Always thought UCD was horribly early myself.. :/ Also, with Trinity you avoid premed so you get to do a 5 year course instead of 6.

Points are on the CAO site under "Points" on the menu on the left hand side. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

etranger wrote: »
    Anyone want to comfort me?

I missed my first choice by 10 points - English and Psychology in trinity. I got 550, needed 560 (with that infernal asteriks *)...

Anyone reckon that it could be possible that the points reach me in round 2? I'm going to scour my scripts, see if I can't find 5 points...

Last year I missed out on my top 2 choices by around 10-15 points.
    I'm so glad I'm in my course now because it suits me and the other two were quite 'dead-end'.
    These things have a way of working out.

etranger wrote: »
    Anyone want to comfort me?

I missed my first choice by 10 points - English and Psychology in trinity. I got 550, needed 560 (with that infernal asteriks *)...

Anyone reckon that it could be possible that the points reach me in round 2? I'm going to scour my scripts, see if I can't find 5 points...

Sorry...I'm guessing that if it has asterisks, then it's unlikely to drop by 10 points in the next round.

But a comforting thought is that people have previously posted that they got their 7th choice, or something, and went on to love the course, and be happy in their careers.

Feel for you at the moment, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Le Cuid A

They shouldn't be offering you your third choice before your first choice anyway, if you have the points for your first choice??

If all info is as you have quoted, something very strange there!!

Product design where, btw?

Maynooth, I was offered business in DCU which is 100 points higher than what I got, glitch argh

I'm so confused, I got 315 points in my leaving cert and put down Product Design as my #1 choice which is 305, but instead I was offered my 3rd choice, which is DCU business, which is 420 points, I got 105 points less than the requirements, and they offer it to me, WTF, I set my heart on product design, I don't want to do business :[

Perhaps the DCU one you were offered was a Level 7 or something, and you're getting it mixed up with something else you'd chosen?

(Clutching at straws here - and hoping that this isn't going to turn out like the Leaving Cert English mix-up...we don't want a whole re-run of the CAO points:eek:)

Maynooth, I was offered business in DCU which is 100 points higher than what I got, glitch argh

Someone else on the new CAO offers thread said they got offered business and were 50 points below what was stated on the points list.

Methinks DCU are lying.. :pac: Probably haven't filled all the places tbh.

Edit: Product Design (Marketing and Innovation) in Maynooth? CAO says the points for that are 330 :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 etranger

Sorry...I'm guessing that if it has asterisks, then it's unlikely to drop by 10 points in the next round.

But a comforting thought is that people have previously posted that they got their 7th choice, or something, and went on to love the course, and be happy in their careers.

Feel for you at the moment, though.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. Thanks so. Pretty annoying seeing as last year, there's a chance I would have gotten the course - it was 550*.

Right, next step is to go about accepting (figuratively and literally) what I did get, a course I'm pretty certain I'll love - English and Philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

no when i say a month later im talkin bout the summer like?
    doesnt trinity go on like a month later in the summer than the other places??

• Advertisement

no when i say a month later im talkin bout the summer like?
    doesnt trinity go on like a month later in the summer than the other places??

Well, it's finishing sometime in May and I think UCD probably does end sometime in April alright. But a mid/late May - September summer is one I'd prefer to mid/late April to end of August.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

business in dcu was my first choice.i got 400 points and got my second choice.bit annoyed though.if i were you i'd contact cao about it

anyway,is there any chance at all that business in dcu will drop by 25 points in the next round?
    i'm clutching at straws here

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MH305 Product Design (Marketing and Innovation) ??

Points = 330

15 points above what you have, yes?

oh right i had it in my head that it finished in like july?!
    started panicking majorly bout picking the wrong place!!

oh right i had it in my head that it finished in like july?!
    started panicking majorly bout picking the wrong place!!

Nah, it used to be the end of May/start of June. Now the last possible week of exams seems to be the second last week of May. So no need to worry! :) You'll get a summer.

phew!!

thanks a mill :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

got biological and chemicals sciences in UCC!!high 5 people

congrats to everyone who got there place!sympathies to thosewho missed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

business in dcu was my first choice.i got 400 points and got my second choice.bit annoyed though.if i were you i'd contact cao about it

anyway,is there any chance at all that business in dcu will drop by 25 points in the next round?
    i'm clutching at straws here

It was my 2nd choice and i got 400 too....My 1st was Business and French DCU but got offered Business and French in DIT:D...Anyone see the points rocket for nursin in DCU??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Le Cuid A

I just got the CAO thing through the post and it says 978 points for Business in DCU, must be a glitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I got Science in Trinity. TR071, here I come!

• Advertisement

anyone else finding that they cant apply for trinity halls?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Modern Irish and German in Trinity :D So delighted!

See you there. Just accepted Modern Irish and Philosophy.

OVER THE FCUKING MOON!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

anyone else finding that they cant apply for trinity halls?!

You can t apply until you have you student number sent to you by Trinity, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

I just got the CAO thing through the post and it says 978 points for Business in DCU, must be a glitch

thats 2 glitches now isnt it:p

i'd seriously contact cao if you were confident that you would have gotten your 1st or 2nd choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

ahh ****!!!
    got offered real estate:(:(:(
    Thought I could scrape my 3rd choice - early childhood ed. in Mary I, but it went up 25:( to 360:( and had a *.
    2nd choice was arts(Mary I) - up by 10 to 395 and 1st was teaching(Mary I).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Firat choice:
    CK407 - Mathematical Science. UCC.
    Points 2008: 480
    Points 2009: 515 :eek: I did not see that happening. I thought it could go up to 500, but not 515!

Thankfully, Jay P's 2009 Leaving Cert points: 515

Fknin job.

I still haven't accepted yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JaneCraddock

First choice:

Anyone know the points for it this year? They aren't on aertel?!

In the Independent it says they were 460, up from 430 last year.

Congrats!! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Can anyone tell me whats an honour in higher level, or whats an honour in lower? As in grades. Cant remember what it is. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My first choice went down 40 points.

A bit bittersweet though, considering my brother didn't get an offer because of the 85 points rise. Off by 15 ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

First choice:

Anyone know the points for it this year? They aren't on aertel?!

In the Independent it says they were 460, up from 430 last year.

Congrats!! :):)

Cant see them on text either, but yeah 460 is right, theyre in the link that crazypaddy gave earlier.

also: http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=points

congrats!

Advertisement