Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a non-believing Jew, but my son wants a barmitzvah.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    All Michael Bay Films Banned.
    Guilty pleasure ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

dlofnep wrote: »
    You still haven't answered my question.

By your definitions - there would be 100's of different races. If you want to loosely categorise race, then fine - but Irish people would be their own race based on the same logic.

Perhaps that's true. Would you consider Jews as an ethnic group? I'm not suggesting someone who converts to Judaism has any change in their ethnicity.

However, I am saying when "Jews" are referenced there's two possible meanings.

Ethnic Jews - Have ancestry from 12 tribes of Israel. If you don't have this ancestry there is no possible way of obtaining it.

Religious Jews - Believe in the bible/Torah and all that. This category are likely to be ethnically Jewish but don't have to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

leincar wrote: »
    I just came across this thread and felt I should reply. I am an atheist married to a Jewish lady and I have five Ms leincars at home. My eldest two have already had their Bat-Mitzvah and it was totally their choice. My next girl has said she does not want to participate and thats fine by both myself and my wife. My wife is progressive and a lot of things done around the house are more to do with tradition then dogma.

At the end of the day myself and my wife will go along with whatever my girls choose.

Sadly after clearing my nostrils of the stench of the anti-Jew by certain people who love the Palestinian flag, but doubtless unlike myself have never been there I truly wish the article in the Guardian had been about a Catholic kid who despite the atheism of his parents wished to make his Confirmation.

Advertisement